Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was thinking last night that McDaniels style fits morally with the college game than the pro game because there are not many pre-madonnas in the college game.

I don't think there are any in the college game either. The only Madonna pre or otherwise currently on the earth I'm aware of is well into her career at this stage. Now PRIMA DONNAS the college game has a lot of. :)

So now who does Denver bring in? Who are the hot coordinators in the league right now?

It's going to be a difficult search:

--like all teams they have to deal with a possible lock-out

--they still owe Shanahan money.The are assumed to be trying to void Josh's deal by saying he was fired "for cause" because of the video tape deal. If that doesn't happen, they may not have the money to chase a big name

--the cupboard is kind of bare: he traded away his most talented players, which means anyone coming in has to start from scratch, even if they run a similar system

--not to harp on it, but Bowlen is going to have to decide whether or not HE believes in Tebow. There wasn't many people in the NFL who did, so if you want Tim to be your franchise QB eventually, you have to find someone who's willing to put their job on the line while grooming someone who is still a long way from being a starter. If you want a Pro-Tebow NFL coach, that kind of limits your search.

espn is already talking about guys like John Fox and Leslie Frazier (although I'm sure he'll be offered the Minny job) and Air Force coach Troy Calhoun

I don't think there are any in the college game either. The only Madonna pre or otherwise currently on the earth I'm aware of is well into her career at this stage. Now PRIMA DONNAS the college game has a lot of. :)

Exactly. And that's not just the players: that's the alumni, the school officials, the conference officials, bowl committees, the recruiting services, etc...

Basically,Josh has the same personality that Charlie Weis did and everyone at Notre Dame despised Charlie because he thought being a head coach in college was just about coaching. He didn't understand the social and sales aspect the way someone like Mack Brown or Pete Carroll does/did.

He'd be a disaster in college.

It's going to be a difficult search:

--like all teams they have to deal with a possible lock-out

--they still owe Shanahan money.The are assumed to be trying to void Josh's deal by saying he was fired "for cause" because of the video tape deal. If that doesn't happen, they may not have the money to chase a big name

--the cupboard is kind of bare: he traded away his most talented players, which means anyone coming in has to start from scratch, even if they run a similar system

--not to harp on it, but Bowlen is going to have to decide whether or not HE believes in Tebow. There wasn't many people in the NFL who did, so if you want Tim to be your franchise QB eventually, you have to find someone who's willing to put their job on the line while grooming someone who is still a long way from being a starter. If you want a Pro-Tebow NFL coach, that kind of limits your search.

espn is already talking about guys like John Fox and Leslie Frazier (although I'm sure he'll be offered the Minny job) and Air Force coach Troy Calhoun

Exactly. And that's not just the players: that's the alumni, the school officials, the conference officials, bowl committees, the recruiting services, etc...

Basically,Josh has the same personality that Charlie Weis did and everyone at Notre Dame despised Charlie because he thought being a head coach in college was just about coaching. He didn't understand the social and sales aspect the way someone like Mack Brown or Pete Carroll does/did.

He'd be a disaster in college.

When he signed a new contract that money went away, now if I am wrong about which I could be then they are still off the hook his contract because it only had two left when he was fired. I do believe though that once he agrees to a new deal in the pros his other contract is gone. That is probably a big reason why Gruden didn't get back into coaching after last season. Why leave whatever he makes from ESPN, plus the what the Bucs give him.

How would accepting a new job null and void the money owed to you from the other team?

Its my understanding if you sign a contract with a team for a set amount of years and they fire you their on the hook for that money no matter what you do. Also I'm almost positive Shannahan is still getting money from them. ESPN said thats why it was so important to fire McDaniels under these terms so they wouldn't be paying three coaches next year.

I might be wrong but I'm nearly certain thats the case.

So that leaves St. Louis and Jacksonville as the other front runners to move I'd say.

Still see Jacksonville. When the Rams win they have sold that stadium pretty well, and St. Louis is pretty good about giving teams that win titles. Now Geographicly Rams make more since to move since they are more East then the Cowboys who play in the East division.

But Jacksonvillie is a huge city/county and they just cannot generate a fan base. The Stadium sells out more for a College game then pros and I believe when the superbowl was there people were complaining about it how there really wasn't anything to do there and how the stadium wasn't that great. Jacksonville is a great city, but they are in a horrible area. They are within 200 miles of three teams that are 30 years or older. Jacksonville is also a big move to city so the fanbase just isn't there and I am not sure it ever will be. People cried when they didn't draft Tebow, if you are going to quit on a team just because they pass on a hometown hero (and even though I like Tebow) I am not sold he will be a great QB in the NFL.

How would accepting a new job null and void the money owed to you from the other team?

Its my understanding if you sign a contract with a team for a set amount of years and they fire you their on the hook for that money no matter what you do. Also I'm almost positive Shannahan is still getting money from them. ESPN said thats why it was so important to fire McDaniels under these terms so they wouldn't be paying three coaches next year.

I might be wrong but I'm nearly certain thats the case.

It depends on the language in the contract, but generally unless the coach is guaranteed their money, they receive money after being fired in expectation damages only until they're able to find another job, at which point, the old employer has no duty to pay. But generally, no, you're not on the hook for that money "no matter what." If I cut Allen Iverson while he has 20 million left unpaid I still owe him that money until he gets signed (and subsequently cut) by the Grizzlies. Again, the exception is "guaranteed" money, which is usually paid in whole or in part up front.

The idea behind this philosophy is that being fired doesn't void the contract: however, playing for another team voids specific language in the contract and terminates any obligation to the player.

Here's an article about the Shanahan situation: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/If-Mike-Shanahan-stays-quiet-he-ll-get-7-milli?urn=nfl-177594

Note that it says: "As long as he doesn't badmouth the Broncos (and doesn't take another coaching gig), Shanahan will continue to be the highest paid coach in the NFL."

Obviously now that he is coaching another team, he's not making that 7 mil. He may still be getting something from the organization from the specific details of his termination, but it won't be his full coaching salary.

When he signed a new contract that money went away...

Obviously now that he is coaching another team, he's not making that 7 mil. He may still be getting something from the organization from the specific details of his termination, but it won't be his full coaching salary.

OK..calm down people..it's not that complicated... ;)

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14130245

Here it is, the first week of January and already it's a prosperous new year for Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

Bowlen will be relieved of roughly $7 million in expenses today when the Washington Redskins announce Mike Shanahan as their new coach. Shanahan, who was the Broncos' head coach from 1995 until he was fired after the 2008 season, completed a five-year deal Tuesday evening with the Redskins, according to two sources familiar with the negotiations.

Shanahan will receive approximately the same average guaranteed salary — $7 million a season — he had during his final contract with the Broncos. He still had three years remaining on his deal when he was fired nearly a year ago.

The Broncos will still owe Shanahan approximately $3.5 million per year in 2010 and 2011 to essentially have him coach the Redskins. Then again, Bowlen will save roughly $3.5 million each of the next two years now that their former coach is no longer unemployed.

Denver owed Shanahan a guaranteed $7 million a year. Washington signed him for $3.5 million a year...which meant Denver STILL owed the other $3.5

million. That's it. That was the language. And every article that talked about the McDaniels firing talked about the fact he still owed Shanahan money.

Denver owed Shanahan a guaranteed $7 million a year. Washington signed him for $3.5 million a year...which meant Denver STILL owed the other $3.5

million. That's it. That was the language. And every article that talked about the McDaniels firing talked about the fact he still owed Shanahan money.

After doing some more research into the contract you are right. Bronco's still owe him 3.5 for this coming season as well, the previous article that I came up with said he only had two years left on his deal when he was fired. Now, if they can get off the hook for Josh's contract and figure out what is going to happen with this lockout there are quiet a few good coaches out their who deserve a shot.

Marty Shot. little boy has done a nice job in NYJ, Gary Kubiak hasn't been great with the Texans, but if he finds himself unemployeed he could be a great coach to help Tebow develop.

Kubiak was QB coach with the 9ers during one of Steve Youngs best years (not saying Kubiak was the reason). In his 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, he helped Jake Plummer regain form and Matt Shaub is a pro bowler working under him. He has also a coach who has found running back Adrian Foster.

I think if Kubiak gets fired he would be a great fit in Denver. He has ties there, nows ownership and he can develop the talent there.

After doing some more research into the contract you are right.

Gee, thanks. :p

Kubiak was QB coach with the 9ers during one of Steve Youngs best years (not saying Kubiak was the reason). In his 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, he helped Jake Plummer regain form and Matt Shaub is a pro bowler working under him. He has also a coach who has found running back Adrian Foster.

I think if Kubiak gets fired he would be a great fit in Denver. He has ties there, nows ownership and he can develop the talent there.

I know Kubiak's name is going to come up, but I think it'd be a pretty bad idea:

One...the Texans have become notorious for losing when it counts most. He's never even taken them to the play-offs, despite a string of strong drafts and Pro Bowl type players on both sides of the ball.

Two...Kubiak made his name in Denver with that zone blocking scheme. McDaniels completely dismantled that scheme and turned over that offensive roster to go to that spread. If you bring in Kubiak, you're automatically throwing away the next season so that you can go BACK to the previous scheme.

It's similar to what's going to happen at Michigan once Rich Rod gets fired.

Kubiak is a nice coach but imo Denver could do better.

Shanahan only gets the money guaranteed in the contract, not his whole salary. It's almost like that's exactly what I explained. ;)

As stated before, I am sure, I am a huge Carolina Panthers fan. I was wondering who everyone thinks will be our next head coach after John Fox leaves at the end of the season. With Urban Meyer leaving Florida, will he be a possibility? I've heard Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm as possibilities as well.

Meyer is probably done with coaching forever. Plus I don't know if the spread would succedd with the speed of NFL defenses. Maybe he resigned so he can go coach Tebow in the pros... LOL

As stated before, I am sure, I am a huge Carolina Panthers fan. I was wondering who everyone thinks will be our next head coach after John Fox leaves at the end of the season. With Urban Meyer leaving Florida, will he be a possibility? I've heard Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm as possibilities as well.

Grimm would make an excellent prospective coach. I doubt Cowher comes back to coaching to deal with the hot mess that is the Carolina roster.

Urban Meyer left to 'spend time with his family' so i doubt he's coming back to coaching right away and PS is right in that there's no real proof he'd be all that great.

Another interesting possibility might be Jim Harbaugh. He's got an NFL pedigree, runs an NFL style offensive system, he ADORES Andrew Luck and there's a pretty good chance the Panthers are going to end up with the # 1Pick; there are worst ways to start your NFL career than by taking a franchise QB you've worked with for years.

Gee, thanks. :p

I know Kubiak's name is going to come up, but I think it'd be a pretty bad idea:

One...the Texans have become notorious for losing when it counts most. He's never even taken them to the play-offs, despite a string of strong drafts and Pro Bowl type players on both sides of the ball.

Two...Kubiak made his name in Denver with that zone blocking scheme. McDaniels completely dismantled that scheme and turned over that offensive roster to go to that spread. If you bring in Kubiak, you're automatically throwing away the next season so that you can go BACK to the previous scheme.

It's similar to what's going to happen at Michigan once Rich Rod gets fired.

Kubiak is a nice coach but imo Denver could do better.

One...the Texans have become notorious for losing when it counts most. He's never even taken them to the play-offs, despite a string of strong drafts and Pro Bowl type players on both sides of the ball? He also has had injuries pile up on him and a pretty weak O-Line in my opinion.

Two...Kubiak made his name in Denver with that zone blocking scheme. McDaniels completely dismantled that scheme and turned over that offensive roster to go to that spread. If you bring in Kubiak, you're automatically throwing away the next season so that you can go BACK to the previous scheme. He still has two memebers of that squad who played for Shann. that know the scheme (one is pretty good to). The LG and C and fairly young.

I think Kubiak would do well there and Bowden has shown he will spend to have a good team. They still have picks for Marshall I believe and all four picks they used in the last two 1st rounds could still develop

Nice roof there Vikes :p

You know it's a conspiracy, right?

The NFL, so worried that Favre's shoulder might make him miss the game, conjured up a weather machine, trapping the New York Giants in Kansas City, and collapsing the roof of the Metrodome, to give Brett more time to heal! It's madness! :eek:

On the upside, someone leaked pictures of the Commish in his super-villain outfit, for when he uses said weather machine, and it's a little thunder cloud in a helmet. Adorable!

I'm miffed, to be honest, since I was gonna get a shot to see that game, and being a Giants fan in Florida, it's not an option afforded to me often. Stupid weather ruining my prime viewing habits. Darn you! *shakes fist!*