Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

and if you could show where I said Jets are still paying Jones please, I can't remember saying that but I probably did

also if you could show me where I stated Jones was better than AP as well

This is where you said they're still paying Jones his signing bonus:

also you're telling me it's cheaper to finish paying the rest of his singing bonus plus paying LT if he comes in?

And who said you stated Jones was better than AP? This is what you said, in the same post as the Jones quote:

And yes I believe Jones was worth all the money the Jets paid him, which is why they gave him that contract, whether he performed or not in the playoffs I didn't care what he did in the playoffs, hell AP didn't do to well but I don't see the Vikes cutting him for it?

And this is how Remi responded:

And you even mentioning Thomas Jones in the same breath as Adrian Peterson is hilarious. You think they compare in any way, shape or form? No one has ever called Thomas Jones a once in a lifetime talent at his position. EVER. If you don't see the difference between a 30 year old running back whose performance is exceeded during the most important part of the year by his rookie backup and a 24 year old running back who has flirted with history his entire career (and been called a 'once in a lifetime talent' since his rookie season), I don't know what to tell you. No, the Vikings aren't going to cut Adrian Peterson because of his performance in one playoff game. Wanna know why? Familiarize yourself with the term 'upside' as it relates to sports and specifically young players.

Signing bonuses are UP FRONT money (you sign, they give you a check). The only time in recent memory it wasn't is when Peyton signed his last contract. Jim Irsay was kinda hard up for cash at the time so Peyton took his signing bonus in installments. But for cap purposes, signing bonuses are PAID upfront but are prorated over the life of the contract. So a $10 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year deal is paid UPFRONT but only counts for $2 million per year on the cap number. Long story short, the Jets aren't still paying Jones' signing bonus. It was paid on 07 when that contract was signed.

You're right about Jones, but Peyton Manning is NOT the only time a signing bonus hasn't been paid up front. This is a fairly common practice when a player is given a huge signing bonus (think quarterbacks) - Ben Roethlisberger was given his signing bonus over two years, for example, nd occassionally even smaller signing bonuses - Bernard Berrian deferred his entire signing bonus, for example.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singing bonus is paid up front Gator, pro-rated means the cap hit is spread, not the actual money. Not sure if you know that or not, not very clear what you meant there.

pretty much how I stated it, what I meant by teams cutting now is, the fact there is no cap the signing bonus still count against the cap even after they are cut, but with no cap this years teams are cutting players to avoid the cap hit just in case the cap comes back after this season

how was that stating Jones is just as good as AP? I believe I was mentioning the fact that just because a running back as a poor postseason, doesn't mean he should be cut

sorry candy, didn't read it correctly

and anyone can be held in the same breathe as anyone. it's not impossible... watch, Jones.... Martin look one breathe

• 3 weeks later...
Donovan McNabb was traded to the Redskins. Is it really wise to trade (in my opinion) a good QB to a team that is in the same division as you?

I don't think there was a whole lot of choice. I mean sure, they could've kept him but after dangling him out there, his confidence wouldn't be very high and the fans' confidence in him would be at rock bottom. Personally, I think the Eagles got robbed (a 3rd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year? For a proven quarterback? Even Matt Schaub got two 2nd rounders!) but they felt it was fair so I guess it was fair. I wouldn't have given a quarterback starved team a playoff proven starting quarterback (and especially not a quarterback starved team I have to face twice a season) for that little though. But from what I've read, Donovan refused to even consider the Raiders and Bills (for good reason. He'd get creamed behind those lines) so the Skins were the only remaining option.

What I think is interesting is thinking about the haul the Skins could have this year. Their third round pick is Donovan, their second rounder could be a trade for a young left tackle (Jared Gaither from the Ravens), and their first rounder could be their QB of the future. That would make this a banner year for them, especially if Larry Johnson and/or Willie Parker pan out.

I don't think there was a whole lot of choice. I mean sure, they could've kept him but after dangling him out there, his confidence wouldn't be very high and the fans' confidence in him would be at rock bottom. Personally, I think the Eagles got robbed (a 3rd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year? For a proven quarterback? Even Matt Schaub got two 2nd rounders!) but they felt it was fair so I guess it was fair. I wouldn't have given a quarterback starved team a playoff proven starting quarterback (and especially not a quarterback starved team I have to face twice a season) for that little though. But from what I've read, Donovan refused to even consider the Raiders and Bills (for good reason. He'd get creamed behind those lines) so the Skins were the only remaining option.

What I think is interesting is thinking about the haul the Skins could have this year. Their third round pick is Donovan, their second rounder could be a trade for a young left tackle (Jared Gaither from the Ravens), and their first rounder could be their QB of the future. That would make this a banner year for them, especially if Larry Johnson and/or Willie Parker pan out.

I would have loved for him to go to the Bills. As a Giants and I want Donovan out of the division asap.:D I agree with everything you said in your post, the Skins are only going to get stronger with this trade. I would add that this makes the Eagles weaker (which I am cool with because I hate the Eagles).

The Eagles got Washington's 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th next year.

Matt Schaub wasn't a 33 going on 34 year-old QB, who has a long list of past injuries, and is in a contract year. Matt Schaub was a 26-year old QB who was being paid a fraction of what McNabb is being paid, and will command this off-season. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are also in the last year of their deals and (illogically or not) McNabb will want a similar contract money-wise.

The Eagles probably got the most they possibly could have gotten with just the #37 pick, let alone an extra mid-rounder.

I would have loved for him to go to the Bills. As a Giants and I want Donovan out of the division asap.:D I agree with everything you said in your post, the Skins are only going to get stronger with this trade. I would add that this makes the Eagles weaker (which I am cool with because I hate the Eagles).

The Eagles are in full rebuild mode, trying to rebuild with McNabb as the QB would be dumb for them to do. Trading McNabb is the Eagles finally admitting that they should take a step back before taking a step forward. Hell, the fans agree with that assessment. From all I've gathered, the Eagles fanbase would be totally fine with a 6-10 Kolb season. It may sound silly, but we're pretty tired of the 10-6/11-5 seasons where we're good, but not great, and find a way to lose in heartbreaking fashion in the NFC Playoffs. It's clear this team wasn't going to win a championship in the forseeable future, McNabb isn't getting any younger, and will be looking to get p-a-i-d after this year.

Just made sense to deal him.

The Eagles got Washington's 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th next year.

Matt Schaub wasn't a 33 going on 34 year-old QB, who has a long list of past injuries, and is in a contract year. Matt Schaub was a 26-year old QB who was being paid a fraction of what McNabb is being paid, and will command this off-season. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are also in the last year of their deals and (illogically or not) McNabb will want a similar contract money-wise.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I don't think there's any way Donovan asks for Peyton/Brady money. No one is stupid enough to give him that.

The Eagles probably got the most they possibly could have gotten with just the #37 pick, let alone an extra mid-rounder.

I think perhaps adding 'under the circumstances' would fit this statement. I'm almost positive the Raiders and Bills offered more (not a first rounder, but a higher 2 and perhaps a 3 next year or a 2 and 4 this year), just waiting on Mike Lombardi to confirm. But, since Donovan probably outright refused to even consider reporting to either of those teams, they went with what they had left.

The Eagles are in full rebuild mode, trying to rebuild with McNabb as the QB would be dumb for them to do. Trading McNabb is the Eagles finally admitting that they should take a step back before taking a step forward. Hell, the fans agree with that assessment. From all I've gathered, the Eagles fanbase would be totally fine with a 6-10 Kolb season. It may sound silly, but we're pretty tired of the 10-6/11-5 seasons where we're good, but not great, and find a way to lose in heartbreaking fashion in the NFC Playoffs. It's clear this team wasn't going to win a championship in the forseeable future, McNabb isn't getting any younger, and will be looking to get p-a-i-d after this year.

Then, no offense, I'm glad I'm not an Eagles fan. I agree with the changing of the guard but I feel it could've been done without giving up on the season completely (or potentially doing so). The Eagles have a lot more holes than just changing quarterbacks is likely to solve. The loss of Jim Johnson decimated their defense from the top down. Losing Stewart sure didn't help matters either. That D isn't plug & play like the Ravens system. Half of its potency was Johnson's blitz selection (and masking). Sean's a good coach and his methods are bound to pay off in a few years, but that's going to be a rough few years. They're going to have to draft players that can play multiple positions (Eric Berry would be a good start) but it's going to be rough breaking in a new quarterback with the defense somewhat in flux. Some of the Eagles' success on D this year can be attributed to teams not having film on many of their players, so they couldn't chart player tendencies. This year, that probably won't be the case.

As I said, I'm not really against the move. I just think they did more harm than good to their own prospects for this season. I don't know of too many owners of perennial playoff contenders who say, "Okay, let's take this season off and possibly suck so we MIGHT be able to move forward, if we're lucky". Well, maybe Al Davis but it's been YEARS since the Raiders qualified as 'perennial playoff contenders'. The Eagles step back and they give the Matt Ryans of the NFC precious playoff experience, which can come back to bite them in the future.

There was a comment on NFL.com that made me chuckle. I don't agree with all of it (especially not the insults) but it does have the ring of truth to it.

Philly fans are some of the dumbest fans that the NFL has. "Lets get rid of our franchise QB he's only led us to 7 NFC title games and a Superbowl appearance". Most Philly fans have wanted McNabb gone since you drafted him and you finally got your wish. Now instead of being ignorant lets just open our eyes for a moment and just see what was given away. A pro bowl franchise QB was given away so that a guy who had a great game against the CHIEFS could become the starter. So your stuck with a has been in Vick and someone who might not even be good thats a real upgrade from McNabb. I guess the only thing that Philly fans have to look forward to is complaining even more and running another QB out of town. Well at least you know that next year you'll have a top ten pick maybe even a top five so you can go and get another QB. That you'll eventually hate.

I feel the Eagles could've phased Kevin in without dumping Donovan but maybe that second rounder turns into a rookie Pro Bowl defensive end.

1. For starters, probably a good move for McNabb. He's been given a lot of crap, a good chunk of which is undeserved, from the Philly fans for YEARS. He's a good QB, and I hate seeing fans crap on him because maybe he isn't THE QB.

2. Kolb probably deserves to start somewhere, and if the Eagles don't give hima chance very soon then I wouldn't be shocked if he would've soon asked to be traded (leaving Philly without a potential QB for the future). And no way McNabb is happy with riding the bench.

3. Redskins will still suck. Larry Johnson and Willie Parker? So to fill in for Portis they have two new guys who are also aging, mostly out of gas, and prone to slews of minor injuries? Please. McNabb WILL give them a respectable passing game (hard to do worse than Campbell... unless you're Jemarcus Russell!), as him to Cooley and Santana Moss sounds solid to me. Still, won't be enough to turn them into legitimate contenders. They could use a real second starting WR, and other than Captain Facestomp they don't have too much on Defense. I think they'll be solid... 7-9 might be realistic... but a "force"? Eh, not seeing it.

One thing I have always liked about Andy's offense, is the ability to win with other QB's

Remember McNabb went down one time and AJ Feely and Jeff Garica

But Eagles also had a young Westbrook on the team to help them. We have heard for years now about Kevin's abilities and now he can show case them to everyone through a full season, if not let Vick play and run the ball (lmao run the ball in Andy Reid's offense)

They are set at WR with Jackson, Maclin, and Avant. TE is different but they have a player in Ingram who could be a dangerous player at the position, and he is now a full 15 months removed from ACL surgery. RB you are looking at McCoy and Bell who should do well together.

OL I still feel is a strong point for this team as long as it can stay healthy

They still have nice ends and a CB but I do agree the defense needs retooling. LB is a weak position and this is a deep class of LB with such names as McLain, Spikes, Lee, Witherspoon, etc.

Saftey is all pretty deep and wouldn't be surprised to see them go for a Major Wright, he is a ball hawk, maybe not INT wise but when it comes to breaking up the play the moment it touches the wideouts hands he is there, Berry might be gone along with Mayes and Thomas, but some nice CB will be around

Overall, they are still a good team, Kolb is the big worry but remember he was a top pick and has had time to fully learn the offense. He could come out to be the next Aaron Rogers (sit behind a franchise QB for a couple years, QB and team have break up, kid comes in and is a star)

3. Redskins will still suck. Larry Johnson and Willie Parker? So to fill in for Portis they have two new guys who are also aging, mostly out of gas, and prone to slews of minor injuries? Please. McNabb WILL give them a respectable passing game (hard to do worse than Campbell... unless you're Jemarcus Russell!), as him to Cooley and Santana Moss sounds solid to me. Still, won't be enough to turn them into legitimate contenders. They could use a real second starting WR, and other than Captain Facestomp they don't have too much on Defense. I think they'll be solid... 7-9 might be realistic... but a "force"? Eh, not seeing it.

Ah, you're forgetting something very important. With Shanahan comes....the one-cut. If those three backs have two working legs between 'em, they'll rush for 1k+ yards. That system doesn't require a great deal of skill or size or speed from the players. It just requires decisiveness. The very basis of the system (take the handoff, hit the assigned hole, make ONE CUT and accelerate to full speed or contact) makes it easy to implement and reduces the talent overhead necessary to make it successful. Just look at who was made to look like the real deal in that system. Mike Anderson, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell, Peyton Hillis, Ryan Torain, heck with the exception of Bobby Humphrey, Terrell Davis, and Clinton, most backs who were successful in the system, weren't really very good outside of it (yes, even Tony Dorsett, given his age at the time).

LJ is going to love it, since it plays to his preferences anyway (he's never been a shifty type back. That's what Parker is for). I'm not saying they're going to do awesome (though add a good receiver or three opposite Santana Moss and it's possible) but they'll be in the hunt for the wild card, at a minimum. That's assuming they can get Haynesworth to play the nose (or swing him out to end).

Ah, you're forgetting something very important. With Shanahan comes....the one-cut. If those three backs have two working legs between 'em, they'll rush for 1k+ yards. That system doesn't require a great deal of skill or size or speed from the players. It just requires decisiveness. The very basis of the system (take the handoff, hit the assigned hole, make ONE CUT and accelerate to full speed or contact) makes it easy to implement and reduces the talent overhead necessary to make it successful. Just look at who was made to look like the real deal in that system. Mike Anderson, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell, Peyton Hillis, Ryan Torain, heck with the exception of Bobby Humphrey, Terrell Davis, and Clinton, most backs who were successful in the system, weren't really very good outside of it (yes, even Tony Dorsett, given his age at the time).

LJ is going to love it, since it plays to his preferences anyway (he's never been a shifty type back. That's what Parker is for). I'm not saying they're going to do awesome (though add a good receiver or three opposite Santana Moss and it's possible) but they'll be in the hunt for the wild card, at a minimum. That's assuming they can get Haynesworth to play the nose (or swing him out to end).

Agreed, Mike's system is known for making an unhearalded running back into a star (at least for a couple years) Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, all of whom have had at least one 1,000-yard season in a Denver uniform over the past 10 years

Clinton had his best two years rushing under Shannahan's system, Larry has had some time to rebuild strenght as has willie Parker. I would not be surprised at all if the are in the top 5 in the NFL for team rushing and look for 1 to have 1000 yards and the other to over 400

Saw an interesting article that made me go :eek:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-the-Eagles-had-no-interest-in-Haynesworth.html

On April Fool's Day, the Redskins gave Albert Haynesworth a check for $21 million (21,000,000) dollars as an option bonus converted to a signing bonus. His contract was structured in such a way that this made it possible for the Skins to minimize his 2009 cap cost and possibly prorate that bonus over the life of the contract (which they did, after the 2009 season). What's funny is, Haynesworth has an out clause in the deal that allows him to void the contract after next season. But, if he does that, he has to pay back 4/5s of the bonus (or about $17 million). Andrew Brandt doesn't think he's going to do that because "the money would probably be spent by this time next year".

Yikes!

Best part is, he's on the block, and no one wants him

Not just because of the big contract, but more of the fact he didn't seem to care at all last year. Worst part for him is they are moving to the 3-4 and Albert isn't that type of guy, does he have the size sure, but does he have that skill set for that defense, not that I have ever seen, plus the fact he doesn't want to play in that system.

so 100 million spent on a guy who doesn't want to be there, disappeared at times last year, he only full 16 game season was his rookie year when he saw limited action, and no one seems to want to trade with you for a (almost 30) player with no motivation because like Michael Clayton of the Bucs said, "What can I do, the checks in the bank"

While that's true, I think it's hard to judge a player harshly when he goes from a team that's usually in the hunt to one that is rarely so. True, part of what makes those perennial playoff contenders that is their typical refusal to overspend on individual players that aren't the franchise quarterback. So in a way, he made his bed so now he has to lie in it. But in his position, would you do it any differently? I know I wouldn't. I love to win more than most things in life but there is a HUGE difference between 77 million (the Titans best offer) and what was it, 102 million? Also considering the fact that DTs who perform at Albert's level (when he was a Titan) are RARE (like John Randle rare), that drives his price/perceived value up even more.

On a side note, I'm hoping Jordan Shipley slips to 45. I was watching tape of Texas's games and I think Shipley has the potential to be this year's Austin Collie (or better) and can probably make even Brady Quinn look like a star. :)

Jason Taylor visiting the Jets. Should make for some interesting talk radio in Miami today. There was already some of that when it was announced yesterday. If the Jets make an offer, I'd come back to Miami just to pack my bags. The move to the Jets would be the right thing for his career (what he has left in the NFL and life after the NFL).

Jason Taylor visiting the Jets. Should make for some interesting talk radio in Miami today. There was already some of that when it was announced yesterday. If the Jets make an offer, I'd come back to Miami just to pack my bags. The move to the Jets would be the right thing for his career (what he has left in the NFL and life after the NFL).

Very true! With no team in LA, playing for the up & coming team in New York is probably best for him as a player and a pitchman. Couple cameos on Broadway and doing the talk/morning show circuit (GMA, Today, etc) and he could pull a Tiki, post-retirement.

While that's true, I think it's hard to judge a player harshly when he goes from a team that's usually in the hunt to one that is rarely so. True, part of what makes those perennial playoff contenders that is their typical refusal to overspend on individual players that aren't the franchise quarterback. So in a way, he made his bed so now he has to lie in it. But in his position, would you do it any differently? I know I wouldn't. I love to win more than most things in life but there is a HUGE difference between 77 million (the Titans best offer) and what was it, 102 million? Also considering the fact that DTs who perform at Albert's level (when he was a Titan) are RARE (like John Randle rare), that drives his price/perceived value up even more.

On a side note, I'm hoping Jordan Shipley slips to 45. I was watching tape of Texas's games and I think Shipley has the potential to be this year's Austin Collie (or better) and can probably make even Brady Quinn look like a star. :)

See I still have just never bought into the Albert hype. I still believe John Henderson was the better prospect of the two.

I mean thank god he didn't sign with the Bucs for 120 million dollars, he would have given up on the second play of the season

And Titians don't win every year, they did have three losing seasons during his tenure

But my thing is I wouldn't want a guy who is in it for himself, he complained last year about the defensive system because it didn't suit him.... You think he could have thought of that before? and now he is not coming to work outs (granted it's voluntary) because he doesn't fit this system either. Plus I will never forget the A-town stomp he pulled on the Cowboy's center

Also yes Redskins did have to ends with 11 sacks last year, more than likely this happened because of blockers on Albert. But this guy has stated he wants to be remember like Reggie White.

First, off that is dumb, White was a freak that could play at any of the four down lineman positions

Second, Players like Sapp, White, Randle, B. Smith, Jason Taylor, considered to be the best during their time because they never gave up, and the mptor was always going. I remember what Sapp could do for a defensive line, he would get doubled and tripled teamed but he could still get to the QB same with the other players

Albert gets doubled or triple teamed his teammates might get to the QB but he isn't, to me that is why I will never consider him to be that elite talent like those 5 men

I don't think it's hype necessarily. It's system and short term performance. The people you named (except for possibly Taylor, who I question being mentioned in the same breath as the other four), played at a high level for many years. Albert's had 3 good years. If you put Albert on the present-day Lions next to Kyle Vanden Bosch, I'd guarantee he'd perform at the level he did previously (even losing). He'd be happier in the system, that coaching staff would incorporate him more in the weekly game plan (designing stunts and dogs to free him for open shots at the quarterback), and he'd be "The Man". He'd probably also be more of a mentor to the young players on the team (not as much as Kyle, but more than he is with the Skins).

Environment plays a big part in how players react and conduct themselves. I don't condemn Albert for the Gurode incident (it was wrong, he apologized and served his suspension) because nothing close to it has occurred since then. Everyone has a moment when they lose their cool. On every down in the NFL, holding occurs. Every one. It's up to the refs to decide what to call and when. If they're letting an O-line get away with murder, that gets to you sometimes. Hell, I've speared people to teach 'em a lesson when the officials wouldn't do their job. Our team used to do the Hart Attack on people that came over the middle (to the point where some officials would blow the whistle to end a play at first contact, rather than waiting for "forward progress" to end it).

The people you name (except Taylor) are first ballot Hall of Famers (Sapp gets in easy, come 2012 and Randle was robbed by politics in his first year of eligibility). That's a pretty high bar to set, in my view. There are many good to great players in the league with zero chance of making the Hall. That doesn't mean they weren't good or great, just that they didn't stack up well either stat wise or by team accomplishments. Tony Siragusa was an exceptional nose tackle for 12 years in the NFL. He was a great character/locker room guy and the engine that the Ravens defense at its peak ran off of. But he's got no shot at the HoF. I think Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton will have a similar issue. I'm sure you would agree that the likes of Richard Seymour and Kyle Vanden Bosch are also very good players, but they don't stack up to White/Smith/Sapp/Randle.

Mind you, I'm not an Albert fan. I think he's too limited (he can only really work within Jim Schwartz's system and I highly value versatility) and I agree with you that his attitude needs work. But I can't deny the fact that, at his best, he's one of the most destructive players at a position that is usually devoid of destructive players. That's not hype, the tape says that. The reason your Randles and Sapps and Pat & Kevin Williams' get so much attention and make so much money is because they're RARE. Haynesworth just happens to be the one who got free at the right time. Incidentally, people have also questioned Julius Peppers' motor and motivation and drive/desire. They say he's prone to taking plays off, especially when the Panthers are "out of it". Oddly enough, his performance doesn't seem to reflect that.

The Redskins are my team always have been always will be, but bringing in a new QB for the team is a mistake Jason C. has good potintial with a good O-Line and a Offense playbook that dosnt change ever year. I hope Mcnabb does good but he's not to young anymore not sure on how old he is right off the top of the head but I think around 35 while he's not old he is getting hurt more often and with the O-Line for the skins not that good I dont know how long he'll last. And dont get me started on them signing Rex Grossmen :confused:

The Redskins are my team always have been always will be, but bringing in a new QB for the team is a mistake Jason C. has good potintial with a good O-Line and a Offense playbook that dosnt change ever year. I hope Mcnabb does good but he's not to young anymore not sure on how old he is right off the top of the head but I think around 35 while he's not old he is getting hurt more often and with the O-Line for the skins not that good I dont know how long he'll last. And dont get me started on them signing Rex Grossmen :confused:

Funny thing is ESPN talked about the top 5 QB who throw the least amount of INT McNabb was first or second with Aaron Rogers, then Tom Brady, David Garrad, Peyton Manning, but the 6th person was Jason so it's kind of interesting

I think Jason is a good QB, he puts up decent numbers and calls the game well, biggest problem is new system each year, and his running game was horrible last year, plus the line wasn't what it once was

And from what I hear Rem, Lions are somewhat interested, but not enough to take on the contract, personally Albert, Kyle, and McCoy or Suh would be scary, plus they could take Dunlap or another end in the second and be a force on the D-Line

I don't think they're even in the same solar system. Any team in the league, if given the choice between McNabb or Campbell, will take McNabb. Remember, last offseason, Campbell was offered to my Broncos for Jay Cutler. The Broncos passed because they preferred....KYLE ORTON. In retrospect, that doesn't seem as crazy now as it did then, does it?

I think Jason is a good QB, he puts up decent numbers and calls the game well

So did Trent Dilfer. For some teams, that's enough to be "good" but most teams want a leader and a star taking snaps. I give Campbell all the respect in the world as a person (how would you feel if your team kept offering you in any and every trade they discuss?) but as a quarterback, he's not going to be a star. In a league where everyone is hoping Archie & Olivia have another son stashed somewhere, where every team would LOVE to have an offensive coordinator on the field (well, every team except the Colts, since they already have one), Jason Campbell just isn't that.

Compare Jason Campbell to Josh Freeman last season. Whose team was worse? But if you look at the reads Freeman made (in an offense that was pretty much sandlot style since they didn't really have an OC) and compare them to Jason, a guy who was basically a rookie, outperformed the guy who had been starting for what, 4 years? Jason Campbell just needs to learn the subtleties of the game. If you watch a Brady or Peyton or Brees or Favre, you'll see that they know how to move safeties with their eyes or their posture in the pocket. Watch how Peyton will shrug his shoulders while staring down Reggie Wayne and get the safeties to react before he throws to Pierre on the other side of the field. Brady will nod at Wes Welker and get the safeties to jump before he throws deep to Moss. Campbell is way too mechanical and it's not working for him.

And from what I hear Rem, Lions are somewhat interested, but not enough to take on the contract, personally Albert, Kyle, and McCoy or Suh would be scary, plus they could take Dunlap or another end in the second and be a force on the D-Line

They'll take the contract. They'll SAY they don't want to but given the fact that he can opt out after 2010 and that he'll be going back to play in the same system that got him that deal (not to mention hating the Skins new system), Albert would be willing to move and he'd probably be willing to restructure his deal. As you said, they could field the best d-line in football if they get him and keep the #2 pick. Though I'd expect any deal that gets made would involve swapping first round picks.

But if the Lions do take a DT at #2, it's going to be McCoy, for one simple reason: Agent. Suh's agent is the same outfit that kept Michael Crabtree out for half the season. The two players are rated too closely to chance a holdout and the Lions brass (Mayhew and Lewand) don't like agents that do that.