Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

good half time show

Thank you.

I'm getting tired of people, mostly around my age, bitching they don't use modern artists/bands.

I'd rather hear a band cherry pick a few of their biggest hits from a multi-decade long career (with songs that have, so far, survived the test of time) than hear a pop artist splurge crap off their new album that we'll likely forget long before the next Super Bowl rolls around.

I'm sorry, it just annoys me to basically hear "They're old and I can't relate to them, we want MILEY CYRUS INSTEAD!!! RAAAWRRRR!!!" I don't think people grasp the fact that, with the halftime show, they're trying to get as wide of an appeal across multiple demographics as possible. The Rolling Stones were the perfect example: I know people of nearly every age, race, and gender who like the Stones. Kanye West and Fall Out Boy? Not so much.

And it wasn't a bad game... closer than the score indicated. I'll admit, I was sorta going for the Colts, but... I don't particularly care for either team. Oh well, we've got next year to look forward to... GO TEXANS!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to jump into the middle of the conversation here, but I have one thing to say. On the comparison between former NFL players and our grandparents...don't ever make that comparison again. It's insulting to our grandparents and everybody who knows them.

There's one very simple, yet very important, difference. When did your grandparents retire? My grandfathers were 60 and 72. My father was 65. The average NFL player works until they're, what, 27? Hey, I have an idea for them if they need money...get a job! Go into coaching, go into scouting, become a color commentator or a personal trainer or a motivational speaker, I don't care. GET A JOB. Remember that education you were got FOR FREE when you were in college? Use it.

Hi, it might be helpful if you actually read what the argument was. I said nothing about 'welfare' for retired/former players (I'm against that). I'm talking about those players who were given shots of anti-inflammatories and painkillers so they could continue playing while being told by team doctors that there was little to no danger of future repercussions. I'm talking about players who played during the time when this kind of medical information was either not widely known or not widely disseminated. Let me ask you a question. When did steroids first go into use? When did the dangers of using these substances become commonly known? Why was there a nearly 40 year gap between those two periods?

Everybody who uses that old, tired "they knew what they were getting into" argument need to actually do some freakin' research. As the son of a former NFL player, I can tell you unequivocally that they most certainly did not. You forget there was a period where people regularly kept things under wraps, in all areas of life. Who didn't know John Kennedy was sleeping around? Did you see exposés in the paper about it? Why not? Now before you even try to state bias, my father died at age 75 with all his faculties (including the ability to satisfy a 34 year old wife). He didn't have any issues resulting from his playing days but that's because he didn't play a whole lot (go look up the definition of 'taxi squad'). Those players from the 50s to 70s have real medical issues that resulted from playing during a time when medical information was not commonly disseminated to the player (it went to the team officials and they made the determination, often based on cost). There was a time in this league's history where if you got hurt, you got fired. Period, end of story. Some owners took care of their injured guys but the fact still remains that you lost your job because you got hurt while doing said job.

My mother retired at 52 and her piddly social security check pays for the satellite bill and some groceries. I won't even get that much (even though I've paid 10 times more into the program than she did). So there is no way I'm at all in favor of active workers subsidizing the lifestyle of non-active workers. However, I am in favor of covering the medical expenses incurred by people who did not know the dangers of the activity they were engaged in. I'm not even going to get into the fact that many of these players WORKED A JOB while they played (I know my father did. So did Gino Marchetti and Art Donovan). So trying to paint them with the same brush used on modern day players who make millions is just a little bit wrong.

Everybody else in the civilized world gets a job when they need money. Pro athletes should be no different. Absolutely, the NFL and NFLPA should fully compensate former players for any and all football-related medical bills. No question. They should not, however, give them the means to sit around at home and do nothing for 55 years because they worked for 5. Come see me when you're 65. Until then, you better find another way to contribute to society.

Again, I see no one in this thread saying they think the NFL should ensure these guys are set for life. I sure as hell never said that. I'm only talking about the MEDICAL fund (you know, the one the league recently agreed to contribute $7 million then an additional $10 million to, to pay for things like joint replacements and such for retired players?).

And finally, what job did your grandparents do that directly led to early onset dementia that they weren't told about until long after they quit doing that job? I'm genuinely curious.

And this Super Bowl was a letdown. I feel for Dwight Freeney who sacrificed and played his heart out and had the stupid DBs pick this game to get 'confused Elmo disease', acting like they've never seen receiver stacks and formation shifts. Larry Coyer looked like he was gonna have a stroke in the box with all the coverages the Colts DBs were blowing.

I have stated my feelings and still believe them to be honest and true. I believe the NFL, not teams and players but The Shield who makes plenty of their own money should fund medical expenses for these players.

That being said I can't agree "they didn't know the dangers". People had been playing football in this country for the entire century, so in the 50's and 60's if they couldn't look at other old timers and see they were banged up and catch on that this was a dangerous sport thats fine. Then what about the fact that you're slamming into each other at high speeds, head first? Nobody thought about that? Or the fact they most likely played this game from atleast high school on. They didn't see any healh risks the entire time playing?

I get "you didn't play you were fired". I can't speak for anyone else and you can always say "it was a different time" but lets face it everyone can say "its a different time" and have an escape clause. Again I can't speak for anyone but myself but no matter my job if I'm making a million a day if I start to get the feeling "this isn't good for my health, I can't feel my arms and legs, my neck hurts, I get dizzy etc" I'm not going to work that job anymore.

America wasn't void of jobs in the 60's and before. These guys played this sport their whole lives. They got hurt, they knew it wasn't a healthy game and they continued to play it.

Again these guys deserve medical but I can't say "these guys didn't know".

Being that I'm from Mississippi, the only team I've ever loved my whole life was the New Orleans Saints. This is truly a dream come true! I never thought this day would come. I've been a, shameful, Saints fan my whole life and I can finally lift my head high and say they are they best team in the league. The thing this forum is missing is how big this is for Saints fans, the city of New Orleans, for the NFL in general. Who Dat nation deserves this and New Orleans deserves this. The voodoo curse on the Saints has been lifted! Finally!

Being that I'm from Mississippi, the only team I've ever loved my whole life was the New Orleans Saints. This is truly a dream come true! I never thought this day would come. I've been a, shameful, Saints fan my whole life and I can finally lift my head high and say they are they best team in the league. The thing this forum is missing is how big this is for Saints fans, the city of New Orleans, for the NFL in general. Who Dat nation deserves this and New Orleans deserves this. The voodoo curse on the Saints has been lifted! Finally!

I am happy for the Sanits fans (all though the Who Dat Nation thing is a little annoying), like you said for years they have been the joke of the NFL. Well they are no longer a joke and that is great!

Now I wonder if the Billy Goat curse will be lifted from the Cubs...

I was not rooting for the Saints tonight but I don't hate them and I enjoy New Orleons so I'm very happy for them.

The Who Dat thing is more than played out and can hopefully stop (although I fear it will only grow)

Yeah I hate how every team has a nation now (Who Dat Nation, Red Sox Nation, etc.).

The Who Dat thing is more than played out and can hopefully stop (although I fear it will only grow)

I dunno..."Who Let The Dogs Out" was in vogue in Baltimore the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl. The following year, it was all but forgotten around here. So it's hard to predict whether "Who Dat..." will be around in five years' time.

I dunno..."Who Let The Dogs Out" was in vogue in Baltimore the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl. The following year, it was all but forgotten around here. So it's hard to predict whether "Who Dat..." will be around in five years' time.

Hasn't "Who Dat..." been around for, well... decades?

It's just that the Saints are, for the first time, relevant enough that the rest of the world is aware of it.

EDIT: Yes, it would appear that the Saints officially adopted "Who Dat" back in 1983.

So I'll predict it: In five years, the chant that the Saints have used for the last quarter of a century will still be around.

Congrats to you and your Saints!

Now that your voodoo curse has been lifted could you please life the Vikings curse as well?

Lost 4 Super Bowls in the 70's(thank god I wasnt old enough to have watched any of these)

Lost their last 5 NFC Championship games(2 of them in OT and 1 on the final play of the game)

The game two weeks ago was heartbreaking but nothing compared to the 98 season when they were 15-1 and 17 point home favorites and LOST to the Falcons.

I'm sorry, it just annoys me to basically hear "They're old and I can't relate to them, we want MILEY CYRUS INSTEAD!!! RAAAWRRRR!!!" I

Miley Cyrus would have been teh ROXXORZ and don't you EVER say anything bad about my Miley :D

Anyway, I'm not saying that they HAVE to pick some modern crap flash-in-the-pan. But take Green Day for example. They have quite a long history of popular records and hits, they've recently had a big resurgance, but most importantly, they're still performing regularly* and they can still put on a show.

No offence to the Who. I liked them back when they weren't a bunch of senior citizens, but at least the lead singer needs to be replaced. No offence to him, but you can replace an old, beat up guitar, you can't replace old beat up vocal chords.

Now, I'm not anti-Who or pro-Who, I'm just pro-carrying a tune, and that was not managed very often last night.

*don't know for sure, don't really follow them...

Congrats to you and your Saints!

Now that your voodoo curse has been lifted could you please life the Vikings curse as well?

Lost 4 Super Bowls in the 70's(thank god I wasnt old enough to have watched any of these)

Lost their last 5 NFC Championship games(2 of them in OT and 1 on the final play of the game)

The game two weeks ago was heartbreaking but nothing compared to the 98 season when they were 15-1 and 17 point home favorites and LOST to the Falcons.

I'm glad you mentioned the Vikings! Because I can finally forgive them for beating the CRAP out of us that 98 season after we won our first playoff game in history. I think the score was somthing like 42-17 or some such. I guess while I'm at it I'll forgive the Bears for smashing my dreams in the NFC Championship game in 2006. Ah hell this changes everything for me! I don't have to hate all the teams that have kicked our ass for years and years anymore! awesome! And seriously.....Thanks for the congratulations, I know you've gotta feel like there is a score to settle here because you guys (vikings) definetly had the best team in football this year. And were my pick to win it all at the start of the post season.

It's just that the Saints are, for the first time, relevant enough that the rest of the world is aware of it.

EDIT: Yes, it would appear that the Saints officially adopted "Who Dat" back in 1983.

So I'll predict it: In five years, the chant that the Saints have used for the last quarter of a century will still be around.

Yeah, it started at St. Augustine high school in New Orleans and it went from there to the LSU Tigers to the Saints.

Who dat! Who dat! Who dat say they gonna beat them saints! Who dat!

And if I hear one more analyst talk about us wearing bags on our heads i'm going to flip out. We haven't done that in 30 years!

Hasn't "Who Dat..." been around for, well... decades?

Yeah I first heard it like, 20 some odd years ago. Its a cajun thing.

did anyone read that Goodell hasnt ruled out banning the three point stance?

I did and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, the sentiment is there but it would change the game completely, particularly the running game. But when you look at some of these linemen slurring like punch drunk boxers before their 40th birthday you gotta think the NFL should do something.

Yeah, it started at St. Augustine high school in New Orleans and it went from there to the LSU Tigers to the Saints.

Who dat! Who dat! Who dat say they gonna beat them saints! Who dat!

And if I hear one more analyst talk about us wearing bags on our heads i'm going to flip out. We haven't done that in 30 years!

I heard that it came from the Junkyard Dog initially, who got it from somewhere else maybe... who probably got it some where else.

But JYD brought it to the territory back in the gap.

not true, there were a few fans in Mora's last saints years that wore bags. And we held on to that Aint's name for a while man. No more! Like the cajun cannon said after the game, "Who dat say they gonna beat em saints? Nobody! Nobody!" lol

Well i'm only 27 years old so i must say I wasn't the die hard who dat I am now back when coach mora was around. I think I was 14 at the time and had girls on my mind more than football. But my family down in metarie and kenner never wore bags on their heads and certainly didn't refer to us as aints.

Like you said though, NOT ANYMORE! I just have to say it couldn't have happened to a better group of guys. From Brees, Payton, JV, to people like the cannon and Hokie. The best radio play by play man around Jim Henderson, Deke and so many others!

And we got the best fans in the world, baby! WHO DAT! Look at colts fans, 11 people showed up to greet them when they got home. We had a parade scheduled for our boys for two weeks. Win or lose!

Give deuce a ring! R.I.P. Buddy D!

St. Louis Rams are bought........well kinda. A bid has been accepted here's the information on the guy. There has been constant talk of someone buying this team and running back to LA with it after the lease with St. Louis is up in 2014. Rush Limbaugh, Dave Checkets and who knows who else has bid on this team. Wrestling fans that remember the Stank Kroenke incident with Vince not too long ago. Well he owns 40 percent of the Rams and has right of refusal. However you cannot own a majority of an NFL team if you own another sports team outside the city. So either he convinces them to change their rules, sells off his 40 percent as well which Khan is said to be ready to buy 100 percent or he hangs in there in the same ownership capacity as now. Here are some quick specs on the guy.

Name: Shahid Khan.

Who is he: Khan, 55, is the president of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, an auto-parts manufacturer based in Urbana, Ill.

Where does he live: Khan has lived in the Champaign-Urbana area for more than 40 years and is married with two adult children. Khan is a graduate of the school of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois.

What is he buying: According to league sources Khan will purchase the 60 percent of the team owned by Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. But if Stan Kroenke wants to sell his 40 percent then Khan is prepared to buy that as well.

What are his thoughts on STL and the Rams: Multiple sources describe Khan as an enthusiastic Rams fan who has attended home games at The Edward Jones Dome. League sources say Khan is committed to keeping the team in St. Louis ... which was an important consideration to Rosenbloom and Rodriguez in making their decision to sell to him.

The sale is subject to approval of NFL owners. They can't vote on it until the closing of the sale which probably won't be finished until early April or so.