The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<p>Gray Maynard came off to me as a fantastic heel against Ken-Flo. He's got this 'jerk' look, and he fought to win, and thoroughly embarrassed the hometown babyface/let Kenny embarrass himself. Based on what little I know, I'd put my money on Maynard to beat Edgar. He beat him before, and Frankie Edgar didn't hugely impress me against Penn. Styles win fights, and while Frankie has BJ's number, I think Maynard has Frankie's. </p><p> </p><p>

Interested to see what happens. It would need one hell of a co-main event for me to buy the show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Gray Maynard came off to me as a fantastic heel against Ken-Flo. He's got this 'jerk' look, and he fought to win, and thoroughly embarrassed the hometown babyface/let Kenny embarrass himself. Based on what little I know, I'd put my money on Maynard to beat Edgar. He beat him before, and Frankie Edgar didn't hugely impress me against Penn. Styles win fights, and while Frankie has BJ's number, I think Maynard has Frankie's. <p> </p><p> Interested to see what happens. It would need one hell of a co-main event for me to buy the show.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The word at the moment is that this will be the co-main event of the Silva-Sonnen rematch.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The word at the moment is that this will be the co-main event of the Silva-Sonnen rematch.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't want to see the rematch.. there's nothing Chael can do differently, and i cant see Anderson letting him do the same again.. I'm expecting a brutal Silva performance in this one..</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="|Anderz|" data-cite="|Anderz|" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't want to see the rematch.. there's nothing Chael can do differently, and i cant see Anderson letting him do the same again.. I'm expecting a brutal Silva performance in this one..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This time Chael angles his arm downwards when he escapes the triangle and wins the fight.</p><p> </p><p> There, that's something different.</p>

I really think Gray Maynard beats Edgar again... At this point I don't think there's a fighter in his division or below that can beat him... His wrestling is just too stifling, and he's so damn careful with everything he does. But I'm hoping Frankie wins, because the Lightweight division is going to be a lot more boring with Gray Maynard as the champion.

I can't wait for Soto/Warren tonight... Rooting for Warren big time just because he's brutally honest and really hilarious to watch most of the time.

And also Daff, I'm digging the new avatar you're rocking.

I don't want to see the rematch.. there's nothing Chael can do differently, and i cant see Anderson letting him do the same again.. I'm expecting a brutal Silva performance in this one..

I'm probably one of the biggest Anderson Silva fans around... But Chael was able to do whatever he liked all day long against Silva, and Andy knew what he was up against... I mean wrestling, it's what Chael does.. He doesn't have any surprises, he just takes you down and grinds on you. And Anderson had no answer. I expect nothing but the same from him. And something else, Chael(unlike a lot of other fighters) had the balls to at least half-way stand with Anderson, and he landed a few decent shots along the way.

I fully expect an even more inflated ego from Sonnen, and him possibly pulling off the win(by decision of course). Not something I want to see, personally... But Chael(if he can work on his sub defense just a bit more) could be Anderson's kryptonite and he's the only person that's had Anderson anywhere near the brink of defeat in the Octagon... That trumps Belfort, Okami or anyone getting a shot first in my eyes.

Wanderlei Silva looks almost like a wolf with his Hollywood Hogan style goatee he's been rocking since the knee surgery.

Looks like Karo is back in the UFC against Dennis Hallman at 123... It would be hilarious if Hallman pulled the upset; but I really wanna see Nate Diaz bust Karo up so pulling for the Heat.

I really think Gray Maynard beats Edgar again... At this point I don't think there's a fighter in his division or below that can beat him... His wrestling is just too stifling, and he's so damn careful with everything he does. But I'm hoping Frankie wins, because the Lightweight division is going to be a lot more boring with Gray Maynard as the champion.

I can't wait for Soto/Warren tonight... Rooting for Warren big time just because he's brutally honest and really hilarious to watch most of the time.

I'm probably one of the biggest Anderson Silva fans around... But Chael was able to do whatever he liked all day long against Silva, and Andy knew what he was up against... I mean wrestling, it's what Chael does.. He doesn't have any surprises, he just takes you down and grinds on you. And Anderson had no answer. I expect nothing but the same from him. And something else, Chael(unlike a lot of other fighters) had the balls to at least half-way stand with Anderson, and he landed a few decent shots along the way.

I fully expect an even more inflated ego from Sonnen, and him possibly pulling off the win(by decision of course). Not something I want to see, personally... But Chael(if he can work on his sub defense just a bit more) could be Anderson's kryptonite and he's the only person that's had Anderson anywhere near the brink of defeat in the Octagon... That trumps Belfort, Okami or anyone getting a shot first in my eyes.

Wanderlei Silva looks almost like a wolf with his Hollywood Hogan style goatee he's been rocking since the knee surgery.

Looks like Karo is back in the UFC against Dennis Hallman at 123... It would be hilarious if Hallman pulled the upset; but I really wanna see Nate Diaz bust Karo up so pulling for the Heat.

Actually, I think BJ can beat Maynard, but I think Maynard can beat Edgar, who I believe can beat BJ...

Rock Paper Scissors :p

As for Chael, if he only had better ground-and-pound and stronger/fast hands, and good submission defense.

Actually, I think BJ can beat Maynard, but I think Maynard can beat Edgar, who I believe can beat BJ...

Rock Paper Scissors :p

As for Chael, if he only had better ground-and-pound and stronger/fast hands, and good submission defense.

You think BJ would beat Gray, really? Care to tell me why? I see that fight pretty much going the way GSP/Penn II went minus the corner stoppage, plus a decision. :)

You think BJ would beat Gray, really? Care to tell me why? I see that fight pretty much going the way GSP/Penn II went minus the corner stoppage, plus a decision. :)

BJ looks better bald, simple!!! lol

I think BJ could beat Gray IMHO only because Gray didn't dominate Kenny like I thought he would. I remember when BJ and Kenny fought last year and the way BJ was just in control throughout the whole fight. BJ against Edgar just reminded me of the Jackson vs Evans fight. One guy kept pressuring the other and the other would answer at times, but not enough.

Seconded. The shirt is on my shopping list, but they seem to sell out in seconds over here.

Bodes well for Paul Daley coming back once the dust has settled in a year or so. If Karo shows up looking like he did in Oz though, he'll be one-and-done. Would love to see a fight between him and Nate though.

Maynard is like GSP but worse at everything, significantly so when you're talking about guard passing and general stand up. There's no guarantee Maynard can sit comfortably in BJ's guard, that he can close the distance safely without running into a left hook or that he can even take BJ down consistently.

There's like three people in the entire LW division that have a competent offensive guard and it's BJ, Sotiropolous and Franca (who's retired.) The current fad is that the guard is dead in MMA but I can't remember the last time a guy with a truly dangerous guard was neutralized for a long time by a top control wrestler.

I'd be really interested in BJ - Maynard but I think BJ would win.

My avatar rules and it's the one MMA shirt I have. I hate the Affliction/TapOut ones where there's blood spraying everywhere and vikings wielding axes engraved with fists and all that silly stuff. The Korean Zombie shirt is nice and simple. :)

Man they didn't show Bellator here because they showed some football game instead :( Oh and the kicker? Not showing it as a replay tonight, instead showing the same game again.

You wouldn't have missed too much live....Bellator had technical difficulties and couldn't broadcast pretty much the entire first fight on the live broadcast.

With that in mind, I won't spoil the results for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...but while we're on the subject...

This is yet another reason why Bellator are destined to fail. Their TV deal is almost counter-productive. You can't build an audience if your shows are bouncing around time-slots, or sometime just not shown at all. Warren-Sota was a big fight for them, but I wonder how many people saw it live, as it happened?

It's another indicator of how un-ready America is for MMA as a sport. Bellator have two USP's that make them perfect for TV. Firstly, they can produce 'seasons' of weekly programming fairly cheaply. Secondly, they have the tournament format that provides an ongoing narrative, giving people a reason to tune in next week, the week after and so on.

Unfortunately the seasons, the tournaments, the champions and the promotion itself all becomes irrelevant if nobody can watch or a stable, regular basis. If, and it's a big if, Season four takes place, a new TV deal is going to make or break them.

Belfort's demise is confirmed to come at the hands of Yushin "Jon Fitch" Okami who is going to beat him the way he beats people, by making him look awful. I think this is going to be even more one sided because Belfort breaks so easily and Okami is so good at breaking people.

120 and 122 aren't exactly looking like dynamite cards but it's free and among the lower level fighters there's usually a couple who look to make a name for themselves by fighting like maniacs. Also Hathaway is fighting so this is your chance to see an Englishman wrestle.

As depressing as Maynard/Florian was I kind of hope Maynard just breaks Edgar down. I'm starting to dig the whole small guy bullying smaller guys thing, and he pulls it off well. Edgar is just like an annoying little insect that is never gonna hurt you but nor can you do anything to stop it.

Finally got to see Bellator last night at 1 am. Well more like 1:20 am cause football ran over and they just cut into the show then. All I missed was the first fight but go to see the decisison. Anyway the three fights I saw were pretty good. The Makovsky v. Mamils had some excitment there at the end. Warren v. Soto was just amazing. How did Warren not fall from those shots he was takeing is beyond me. I wonder if Soto will ever get ****y and drop his hands like that again. Warren plans on leaving MMA next year for a run at the Olympics. The Gomez v. Red fight was a snooze fest that got a little interesting at the end. What is up with Gomez's nickname "useless"?

What is up with Gomez's nickname "useless"?

When he was at school, American kids who couldn't pronounce his name 'Ulysses' would call him 'Useless' as a jibe. He adopted it as his fighting nickname as an adult...apparently on one of his first day in the gym someone asked him what his name was, and the guy thought he said 'Useless', so it stuck. Awesome nickname, probably one of my favourites in MMA. Fun fact: He knocked out former WBA and IBF champion Fernando Vargas at a UFC 71 after party. Completely tooled him.

Here's fun....favourite MMA nicknames?

Always loved 'The Ukraine Freight Train' for Igor Vovchanchyn.

When he was at school, American kids who couldn't pronounce his name 'Ulysses' would call him 'Useless' as a jibe. He adopted it as his fighting nickname as an adult...apparently on one of his first day in the gym someone asked him what his name was, and the guy thought he said 'Useless', so it stuck. Awesome nickname, probably one of my favourites in MMA.

Here's fun....favourite MMA nicknames?

Always loved 'The Ukraine Freight Train' for Igor Vovchanchyn.

Ironically I thought one of the best suited nicknames in MMA was "Ice Cold" Igor Vovchanchyn.