The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Also, check out the ring for Satoru Sayama's (Tiger Mask) awesome new MMA/Sumo hybrid.

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1288405106/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/201010/30/20101030001.jpg

You can win by KO, Submission, decision or knocking your opponent out of the main area twice. Ha!

That is awesome.

I haven't watched Sumo in ages. I remember being on vacation in Spain like a decade ago, and the only channel I had in my hotel room in English was Eurosport, which was showing a week-long Sumo tournament. I got ridiculously into it. I seem to remember turning down a rather tempting offer, just so I could stay in to cheer on my favourites.

Also, check out the ring for Satoru Sayama's (Tiger Mask) awesome new MMA/Sumo hybrid.

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1288405106/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/201010/30/20101030001.jpg

You can win by KO, Submission, decision or knocking your opponent out of the main area twice. Ha!

Any links/details on potential fights/events/fighters? I'd be interested in writing a piece about this for a website I occasionally contribute to :)

Any links/details on potential fights/events/fighters? I'd be interested in writing a piece about this for a website I occasionally contribute to :)

Not as yet unfortunately. Spotted a link to that picture and asked a buddy of mine in Japan to try and get me some more info. There won't be anyone you or I know competing on those kind of shows...it's just another little Japanese oddity. There was one a few years back where the guys fought in white suit jackets and trousers, with strobe lights and techno music during the fights. There's currently a full-on bare-knuckle promotion that provides fighters to DEEP.

What I do know about the above...

- 3 rounds (2x3mins, 1x2mins)

- Win by KO/Sub/Stoppage, or twice knocking opponent to outside area

- Called Seikendo Budo, based on his old Seikendo Ultimate Boxing events. Essentially fights with a more 'real streetfighting' element to them - So no pro-MMA fighters, more tough guys with some fighting/martial arts experience. I believe Ultimate Boxing had a very short limit on ground time...basically a stage-managed streetfight-style to make the fights as entertaining as possible.

Will post again if/when I get more info/links, but at the moment his site is just an old archive in Japanese. Here the other pics...

Sayama doing the intro

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1288405106/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/201010/29/20101029001.jpg

Fighters getting ready to bang

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1288405106/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/201010/30/20101030023.jpg

Hmm, I bet Paul Daley would have been better behaved if the ref for his fight with Koscheck was packing that kind of equipment! :-p

There's absolutely no way Schilt gets disqualified. If Gerges got offered a spot it's because someone dropped out (PLEASE LET IT BE MIGHTY MO)

Turns out it was a false, or at least mistaken report from K-1.nl, the original source. Got passed around so quickly though that Schilt's managers had to get K-1 on the phone to confirm he was still in the GP :-p

Turns out the Gerges has been offered a fight on the card...now Badr Hari is currently serving 14 days in prison...should he get out and get his head straight in time, the thinking is that K-1 will offer him a reserve fight rematch with Gerges, which would be awesome. Knowing K-1, if that happens, I would seriously expect someone to 'get injured' and pull out after their quarter-final bout, nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

Turns out it was a false, or at least mistaken report from K-1.nl, the original source. Got passed around so quickly though that Schilt's managers had to get K-1 on the phone to confirm he was still in the GP :-p

Turns out the Gerges has been offered a fight on the card...now Badr Hari is currently serving 14 days in prison...should he get out and get his head straight in time, the thinking is that K-1 will offer him a reserve fight rematch with Gerges, which would be awesome. Knowing K-1, if that happens, I would seriously expect someone to 'get injured' and pull out after their quarter-final bout, nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

FEG hate Schilt but he's still part of Golden Glory and appeasing Golden Glory is still more important than getting rid of all the bad ratings Schilt brings.

Gerges - Hari 2 will be awesome though, hopefully Gerges beats him down. Talk about a rough run in K-1, three fights, two of them against the best heavyweight kickboxer in the world and the other one against a top 3 guy.

e: Also he was seriously one of the few people who could've beat Schilt if he'd stayed a little more active and avoided a few more punches (which is easier said than done.) Gerges' leg kicks are really, really good and if he can avoid Hari's atomizing punches and drag it into the later rounds without getting fouled again I genuinely think he'll beat Hari.

I imagine Benavidez would be the highest profile guy to drop down to 125. Also there's a whole lot of Brazilian and Japanese flyweight talent just waiting to be unearthed and put on display.

Also if you haven't been paying attention: Megumi Fujii got beat by Zoila Frausto last night at Bellator by a controversial unanimous decision. She lost the fight by fighting stupid, really, and I thought the decision could've easily gone either way.

2010 really is the year of the underdogs. Shogun, Edgar, Werdum, Velasquez and Frausto.

145 is right at on the verge of exploding like 155 did a few years ago; the move to UFC will cement it. There are tons of great featherweight stars currently fighting in Japan that could do well here, and that doesn't even account for the inevitable drop to 145 some of UFC's lightweights will make.

135 has developed a lot in the last couple of years, and it's holding it's own, but it will be the weakest UFC division for a while. Within a couple of years it will be booming though, if only because there are a lot more athletic people out there that can get to that weight than there are at 200+ pounds.

I can't wait for 125 division either, and Benavidez would probably be the crown jewel. WEC's demetrious Johnson is a natural flyweight and would be great for that division if it ever pops up; Rani Yahya as well. And then of course is one of my favorite all time fighters, Rambaa Somdet.

FEG hate Schilt but he's still part of Golden Glory and appeasing Golden Glory is still more important than getting rid of all the bad ratings Schilt brings.

Gerges - Hari 2 will be awesome though, hopefully Gerges beats him down. Talk about a rough run in K-1, three fights, two of them against the best heavyweight kickboxer in the world and the other one against a top 3 guy.

e: Also he was seriously one of the few people who could've beat Schilt if he'd stayed a little more active and avoided a few more punches (which is easier said than done.) Gerges' leg kicks are really, really good and if he can avoid Hari's atomizing punches and drag it into the later rounds without getting fouled again I genuinely think he'll beat Hari.

Why does FEG hate Schilt? The guy's a kickboxing phenom.

145 is right at on the verge of exploding like 155 did a few years ago; the move to UFC will cement it. There are tons of great featherweight stars currently fighting in Japan that could do well here, and that doesn't even account for the inevitable drop to 145 some of UFC's lightweights will make.

135 has developed a lot in the last couple of years, and it's holding it's own, but it will be the weakest UFC division for a while. Within a couple of years it will be booming though, if only because there are a lot more athletic people out there that can get to that weight than there are at 200+ pounds.

I can't wait for 125 division either, and Benavidez would probably be the crown jewel. WEC's demetrious Johnson is a natural flyweight and would be great for that division if it ever pops up; Rani Yahya as well. And then of course is one of my favorite all time fighters, Rambaa Somdet.

I think it has less to do with what UFC is doing (although it helps out, a lot), or more to do with current cultural trends. People don't want to see two hulking masses gassing out anymore. The future is lighter fighters. My theory is, people wanted to see hulking masses, is because they didn't have TV. Looking inside from arena, and the 155-ers look like dots in a ring/cage.

It's good for everyone, too. There's more talent below the 200 pounds, then there is, above it. It also taps into the potential pool of people that are extremely good at sports, but are too small to be in football, basketball, and even baseball.

Personally speaking, I prefer the lighter weight classes. More talent, better fights.

Why does FEG hate Schilt? The guy's a kickboxing phenom.

He's ratings poison for several reasons:

Whenever he decides to wreck dudes (see last WGP) he's absolutely awesome but when he plays it safe and jab/front kicks his way to a decision his fights are generally really dull unless he's fighting someone like Aerts of yesteryear, Hari or (potentially) Overeem who can make it interesting.

He makes his opponents look bad. Real bad. There's a very good reason FEG have kept Schilt five hundred miles from any Japanese fighter until now. Not that there have ever been any elite level Japanese heavyweight but they never had Musashi fight him and even the guys who aren't Japanese but still marketable (like Hari or Remy) were made to look bad by Schilt.

He's weird looking and has no personality.

He's not Japanese.

The reason they banned clinch knees altogether? Schilt.

Honestly at this point they're just pinning all their hopes on Overeem to beat him. They tried to replicate Hari's success against Schilt by sending Zimmerman in there but predictably he got jabbed to bits. I don't need to tell you how Schilt - Hari 2 went. Even if Remy comes back his style is just made to be slowly chipped away at by Schilt (although I was really surprised when Remy dropped him in their last fight.)

He's a phenomenal kickboxer, undisputably the best heavyweight on the planet and all things considered one of the greatest (Aerts is still the greatest though.) But he's not popular and that's enough for FEG to try to sabotage him as much as they can.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>He's ratings poison for several reasons:<p> </p><p> Whenever he decides to wreck dudes (see last WGP) he's absolutely awesome but when he plays it safe and jab/front kicks his way to a decision his fights are generally really dull unless he's fighting someone like Aerts of yesteryear, Hari or (potentially) Overeem who can make it interesting.</p><p> </p><p> He makes his opponents look bad. Real bad. There's a very good reason FEG have kept Schilt five hundred miles from any Japanese fighter until now. Not that there have ever been any elite level Japanese heavyweight but they never had Musashi fight him and even the guys who aren't Japanese but still marketable (like Hari or Remy) were made to look bad by Schilt.</p><p> </p><p> He's weird looking and has no personality.</p><p> </p><p> He's not Japanese.</p><p> </p><p> By the way, what happened to Choig Hong Man and Mighty Mo? They had good win/loss record three years ago... but now...</p><p> </p><p> The reason they banned clinch knees altogether? Schilt.</p><p> </p><p> Honestly at this point they're just pinning all their hopes on Overeem to beat him. They tried to replicate Hari's success against Schilt by sending Zimmerman in there but predictably he got jabbed to bits. I don't need to tell you how Schilt - Hari 2 went. Even if Remy comes back his style is just made to be slowly chipped away at by Schilt (although I was really surprised when Remy dropped him in their last fight.)</p><p> </p><p> He's a phenomenal kickboxer, undisputably the best heavyweight on the planet and all things considered one of the greatest (Aerts is still <strong>the</strong> greatest though.) But he's not popular and that's enough for FEG to try to sabotage him as much as they can.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> That explains a lot, but he wins. Until someone finds a way aorund his strategy, that's that. People seem to forget this: the jab is the most important punch. </p><p> </p><p> On an unrelated note, does anyone know why Paul Filho isn't in the UFC? The guy's a beast. The guy lost 2 out of 4 recent fights, and 1 out of 4 is a draw, but I think he can give Anderson Silva trouble.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> On an unrelated note, does anyone know why Paul Filho isn't in the UFC? The guy's a beast. The guy lost 2 out of 4 recent fights, and 1 out of 4 is a draw, but I think he can give Anderson Silva trouble.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> He's actually 4-1-1 in his last six - Wins over Melvin Manhoef, Schoenauer, Nishizaka and Dan Gabriel (at heavyweight), draw with Dennis Kang and a loss to a Brazilian prospect called 'Pezao', which I'm told is no bad thing, as this guy is good. </p><p> </p><p> The overriding reason why we haven't (and probably never will) see Filho in the UFC is that he has serious mental health problems. Now, lots of fighters suffer from depression...Filho has more issues though that may take years, or forever, to resolve. There is also the issue of his drug addiction, which has been fairly public. </p><p> </p><p> All in all, he's simply too much of a hot potato (and at this stage in his career not good enough of a fighter) to warrant them taking the risk. </p><p> </p><p> Oh, also the WEC 'incidents'. He pulled out of a rematch with Chael Sonnen to go to rehab (fair enough)...then when they finally got the match on, he came in massively overweight, meaning that the last ever WEC 185lb title bout ended up as a non-title, 3-round affair. Throughout the fight, Filho was acting strangely, talking to Sonnen (he asked repeatedly if they could go to the ground and rest), himself and some invisible person outside the cage. Track it down if you haven't seen it, it's bizzare. He lost a decision and promised to give the WEC belt to Sonnen afterwards, then never did.</p>

<p>The analogy I have for the Schilt situation is that it's like the GSP situation, times 1000. </p><p> </p><p>

Yes, he's a big, lumbering thing, but technically, he's very, very good. Like GSP he's so good, that he more often than not (as Daffanka pointed out) makes the people he fights look worse than they are. </p><p> </p><p>

Now, imagine that GSP is 220lbs and still fighting welterweights, and you have a good analogy. The way Schilt fights and uses his physical advantages...well, it just turns a lot of casual viewers off. </p><p> </p><p>

Now, the difference between GSP and Schilt is that Schilt fights on prime time TV in Japan, whereas GSP fights on PPV. People who pay $50+ for a PPV don't turn off after a couple of boring rounds. People watching on TV will channel hop if they're not being entertained. Even in the MMA downturn that Japan is currently experiencing, a vast amount of the viewer-ship is casual (evidenced by the 'spikes' in ratings when someone like Ishii is fighting)...keeping these viewers interested and onboard is essential to K-1's ad revenue streams.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The analogy I have for the Schilt situation is that it's like the GSP situation, times 1000. <p> </p><p> Yes, he's a big, lumbering thing, but technically, he's very, very good. Like GSP he's so good, that he more often than not (as Daffanka pointed out) makes the people he fights look worse than they are. </p><p> </p><p> Now, imagine that GSP is 220lbs and still fighting welterweights, and you have a good analogy. The way Schilt fights and uses his physical advantages...well, it just turns a lot of casual viewers off. </p><p> </p><p> Now, the difference between GSP and Schilt is that Schilt fights on prime time TV in Japan, whereas GSP fights on PPV. People who pay $50+ for a PPV don't turn off after a couple of boring rounds. People watching on TV will channel hop if they're not being entertained. Even in the MMA downturn that Japan is currently experiencing, a vast amount of the viewer-ship is casual (evidenced by the 'spikes' in ratings when someone like Ishii is fighting)...keeping these viewers interested and onboard is essential to K-1's ad revenue streams.</p></div></blockquote><p> Here's the thing, though. Who CAN beat Schilt? And if they can, can they beat him consistently? I think the guy is just that good at KIckboxing. Hell, banning knees in clinch ain't going to stop him. I think it only makes it worse. If you what Daff says is right, he's going to jab his way to victory even more.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Here's the thing, though. Who CAN beat Schilt? And if they can, can they beat him consistently? I think the guy is just that good at KIckboxing. Hell, banning knees in clinch ain't going to stop him. I think it only makes it worse. If you what Daff says is right, he's going to jab his way to victory even more.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't think anyone can beat him <em>consistently</em> at this point in time. I think there are guys out there who can beat him...but if you look at the guys who've done it in the past, it's a special list. You've got Hari and a young, prime and sober Ignashov, two guys with incredible one-shot stopping power, who've knocked him out. Then you have Aerts, arguably the best of all time, who has outpointed him. EDIT: Oh, and Choi...but that was just bizzare... :-p</p><p> </p><p> Who can beat him? Hari...*maybe* Gerges...*maybe* a healthy Aerts (or is he just too old at this point?)...can they beat him consistently though? I don't think so. In order for that to happen, I think we're waiting for one of two things...Schilt to enter his decline, or the next big thing to come out of the woodwork. </p><p> </p><p> Schilt is truly one of a kind...the absolute crown jewel of this generation of Dutch kickboxers. If he can nab a 5th GP title...that'd be insane.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Here's the thing, though. Who CAN beat Schilt? And if they can, can they beat him consistently? I think the guy is just that good at KIckboxing. Hell, banning knees in clinch ain't going to stop him. I think it only makes it worse. If you what Daff says is right, he's going to jab his way to victory even more.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> There's two ways to beat Schilt. Either you have to hit him really hard, really early with big punches before he gets his distance down like Hari did, but even a ridiculously offensively gifted fighter like him can't replicate that strategy 100% of the time.</p><p> </p><p> The other way is the Peter Aerts Gambit. Constantly make him work, constantly make him back up, constantly move in and out of range without getting hit by big counters, never let him get his feet set, never get cut off, and always threaten him with big punching combinations. Unfortunately there really isn't another Peter Aerts in the K-1 heavyweights right now and Aerts himself is finally showing his age and what fighting in every single K-1 grand prix, 2009 excepted, finally does to your physical condition.</p><p> </p><p> And when I say both of these strategies work, I mean they work against Schilt as he was when he was beaten. Sometimes he wins real ugly but he's shown a remarkable ability to improve even as he got older. Just look at the way he mixed his normal loose front kicks with the cracking Kikuno-style crescent front kicks to knock down Hari last year.</p><p> </p><p> The Ignashov and Hong Man Choi losses were aberrations really. With Ignashov he was caught up in a brawl and hadn't developed his style yet and the HMC fight was awful but it was in Korea with three Korean judges and there was no way he lost that.</p><p> </p><p> As for who can beat him? Hari on a good day. A Gerges with a bigger workrate and a better ability to move in and out of Schilt's range. Potentially Overeem who's actually defensively solid with the big gloves. Jerome Le Banner stepping into a time machine.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SaySo" data-cite="SaySo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Word is Brock Lesnar wants Roy Nelson.<p> </p><p> Nelson was suppose to fight Carwin but Carwin had to pull out recently with surgery i believe.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> While the hype for the Mir match and eventual beating Brock would put on him would be entertaining it wouldn't really tell anyone anything, and three of eight pro fights being vs. the same dude would be a bit lame. So I was pleased when I heard about this, and hope UFC goes in this direction. Wouldn't be as big a seller and would be more of a threat to Brock, but hopefully he'd look impressive and long term there'd be more benefit for him and UFC.</p>

While the hype for the Mir match and eventual beating Brock would put on him would be entertaining it wouldn't really tell anyone anything, and three of eight pro fights being vs. the same dude would be a bit lame. So I was pleased when I heard about this, and hope UFC goes in this direction. Wouldn't be as big a seller and would be more of a threat to Brock, but hopefully he'd look impressive and long term there'd be more benefit for him and UFC.

You know what I want to see instead? Mir/Nelson.

<p>The next to last WEC event goes down in two days. If Faber wins dominantly like I think he will, expect him to become the focal point of the UFC 135lbs division, possibly even doing a TUF season with him vs. the winner of Cruz - Jorgensen (it's going to be Jorgensen.) Mendes - Vasquez could be a tremendously entertaining grappling scrap too although it could just as well be three rounds of Mendes laying in Vasquez' guard for three rounds. Also Benavidez is fighting.</p><p> </p><p>

I can't remember the last bad WEC card post abolition of the bigger weight classes. This isn't going to be an exception. If you've been dumb and not watched WEC previously then you at least owe yourself to get familiar with some of these dudes before they make their way to the UFC.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The next to last WEC event goes down in two days. If Faber wins dominantly like I think he will, expect him to become the focal point of the UFC 135lbs division, possibly even doing a TUF season with him vs. the winner of Cruz - Jorgensen (it's going to be Jorgensen.) Mendes - Vasquez could be a tremendously entertaining grappling scrap too although it could just as well be three rounds of Mendes laying in Vasquez' guard for three rounds. Also Benavidez is fighting.<p> </p><p> I can't remember the last bad WEC card post abolition of the bigger weight classes. This isn't going to be an exception. If you've been dumb and not watched WEC previously then you at least owe yourself to get familiar with some of these dudes before they make their way to the UFC.</p></div></blockquote><p> Daffanka, do you see feel that the future of MMA is in the lighter weight classes? It certainly feels that way to me now. IT just eeems there's better fights MW or lower nowadays.</p>