The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

A quick question here:

"Why do MMA fighters generally only fight 2 matches a year?"

Now I can obviously think of a couple of reason that are logical enough, being

1. Roster size (you can't have 50 events a year right?)

2. Preparation time (needed, buy do you really need half a year?)

3. Medical suspension (so they got damaged, you need to recuperate. But after a match that only took 30 seconds, with the winner emerging unscathed?)

4. Finding suitable opponents (in WMMA, it's never a problem, but the real world is a tad bit more complicated, alas)

5. ?

Just wondering what the actual reason was. I mean, it's better for business to create a face that is well known, instead of taking YEARS to build up characters like Chuck Liddell, only to lose them a few years after they're really popular.

In WMMA3, I kinda feel bad when letting fighters fight 5 times a year, thinking it's not realistic. But then again, it seems perfectly fine to me.

Seems to me you would want to get in the cage as much as possible to get that money. So unless you are already rich it would prob. fall on the matchmakers end on why they don't fight more.

It seems like if you really wanted to get back into the UFC you would atleast make weight for your fights while trying to rebuild your image. Paul Daley must think otherwise as he missed weight for his fight for the Deep welterweight title. Fight will go on as a non-title bout and he will prob. be docked 10% of his purse.

Lets hear your predictions for the UFC show tommrow night. I am not the best at picking fights as I don't know all the fighters real well but I will get things rolling :)

Fitch over Penn via descion. Neither fighter I really care for.

Rivera over Bisping via ko/tko. (dunno if that is a wise pick or wishful thinking on my part)

Sotiropoulos over Siver via sub or descion. Pulling for Siver though.

Lyter over Ebersole. Don't know anything about Ebersole tbh.

Noke over Camozzi via I flipped a coin as I never heard of either guy :p

Pearson over Fisher via descion. Pearson needs to bounce back strong after his first UFC loss.

Gustafsson over Te Huna.

Fukuda over Ring via ko/tko. If you haven't seen Fukuda's fight with Sakurai from deep impact 49 treat yourself to a brutal, brutal fight on youtube :)

Perosh over Blackledge.

Zhang over Reindhardt.

Tuchscherer over Hunt via sub. This is the only fight that wont be shown in one form or another, all other fights are either on Facebook, Ion, or ofcourse ppv.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>A quick question here:<p> </p><p> <strong>"Why do MMA fighters generally only fight 2 matches a year?"</strong></p><p> </p><p> Now I can obviously think of a couple of reason that are logical enough, being</p><p> </p><p> 1. Roster size (you can't have 50 events a year right?)</p><p> 2. Preparation time (needed, buy do you really need half a year?)</p><p> 3. Medical suspension (so they got damaged, you need to recuperate. But after a match that only took 30 seconds, with the winner emerging unscathed?)</p><p> 4. Finding suitable opponents (in WMMA, it's never a problem, but the real world is a tad bit more complicated, alas)</p><p> 5. ?</p><p> </p><p> Just wondering what the actual reason was. I mean, it's better for business to create a face that is well known, instead of taking YEARS to build up characters like Chuck Liddell, only to lose them a few years after they're really popular.</p><p> </p><p> In WMMA3, I kinda feel bad when letting fighters fight 5 times a year, thinking it's not realistic. But then again, it seems perfectly fine to me.</p></div></blockquote><p> 2 times a year is fine... why? Because if you add in training camps, fight anything more than 4 fights a year is hectic. </p><p> </p><p> Think about this way. </p><p> </p><p> 4 fights a year = 4 fights in 12 months which means... 1 fight every 3 months. Add in Trainining camp, which is at least 1 month (probably should be more) means they have about 4 months of free time a year, or 1 month of free time every 3 months. That seems fine to me, but if you extend the time for a training camp, then this free time disappears. Fighters need some time to rest...</p><p> </p><p> Or if it's 6 fights per year. They are jumping from a fight, to a training camp, than to a fight... repeat. Very little time to rest. </p><p> </p><p> 4 fights a year is plenty. I think fighters should have at least 2 fights a year, though. 1 Fight a year brings ring rust.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>A quick question here:<p> </p><p> <strong>"Why do MMA fighters generally only fight 2 matches a year?"</strong></p><p> </p><p> Now I can obviously think of a couple of reason that are logical enough, being</p><p> </p><p> 1. Roster size (you can't have 50 events a year right?)</p><p> 2. Preparation time (needed, buy do you really need half a year?)</p><p> 3. Medical suspension (so they got damaged, you need to recuperate. But after a match that only took 30 seconds, with the winner emerging unscathed?)</p><p> 4. Finding suitable opponents (in WMMA, it's never a problem, but the real world is a tad bit more complicated, alas)</p><p> 5. ?</p><p> </p><p> Just wondering what the actual reason was. I mean, it's better for business to create a face that is well known, instead of taking YEARS to build up characters like Chuck Liddell, only to lose them a few years after they're really popular.</p><p> </p><p> In WMMA3, I kinda feel bad when letting fighters fight 5 times a year, thinking it's not realistic. But then again, it seems perfectly fine to me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I wonder if brain damage is part of the reason. The human head can only stand so much punishment. Isn't dementia prevalent in retired boxers and football players? I would assume that it is a measure of caution for MMA fighters as well.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zoloftjunkie" data-cite="Zoloftjunkie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> Rivera over Bisping via ko/tko. (dunno if that is a wise pick or wishful thinking on my part)</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's not a bad pick. Bisping gets beat up by any half decent kickboxer he fights (and frequently gets beat up by bad kickboxers as well) and Jorge's a pretty good one, plus he's got a decent technical clinch game. I think Bisping's going to get smacked hard once then immediately try for a takedown and if he can't get it he's screwed.</p><p> </p><p> Fitch over Penn, decision. Jon Fitch is a fantastic fighter.</p><p> </p><p> Rivera over Bisping, (T)KO.</p><p> </p><p> Sot over Siver, submission.</p><p> </p><p> Lytle over Ebersole, submission.</p><p> </p><p> Noke over Camozzi, decision.</p>

To bad Penn didn't have the heart to go a long with his natual talent. Scarry to think how good he could of been if he had his heart into it the whole time. Kinda of like Allen Iverson (baskeball player), great in their own rights but could of been so much more.

I think his ultimate problem isn't his heart, but his cardio. By the third round, he loses most of his explosiveness... and that's at Lightweight.

Loved how he came out and wrestled but round three once it hit the floor he couldn't do anything, and it hit the floor too easily. Loved his post fight honestly though, especially compared to Fitch levelling for a title shot on the back of a draw lol.

I agree, except Fitch has been waiting forever... and I think he won the fight, as much as I dislike his style.

I agree, except Fitch has been waiting forever... and I think he won the fight, as much as I dislike his style.

Either way, this could work out being the perfect thing for the division. It buys them time; if GSP wins and as expected moves up, then instead of having someone have to face the winner of this (Shields off a loss, Alves vs. Fitch nobody wants to see again), they can just do it again, while having the opportunity to create another contender bout of sorts between two others.

Hoping to see Bisping vs. Okami now as well. I think he could pull it off, and it feels like if they're ever gonna let him near the top of the division now is the perfect time.

Damn Daff we both picked the same for the main card and went one for five :p Really happy that Siver got the win he is a fun fighter to watch.

Does anyone really wanna see a rematch with Penn and Fitch?

The thing I don't like about GSP going up and vacating the title is w/e wins it next is only getting it cause GSP left the div. Will always be in my mind that w/e has it is champ because GSP allows it :p

Damn Daff we both picked the same for the main card and went one for five :p

Siver was a definite possibility with his hard punches and Sot's inability to take guys down from the outside but I didn't see Ebersole beating Lytle at all. That was a great fight. For what it's worth I had the main event 29-27 Fitch. 10-9 Penn, 10-9 Fitch. 10-8 Fitch.

Also I call to attention this post way back from UFC 119:

Mark Hunt over whoever by KO.

I will stand by this forever. Really glad to see Hunt get his first win in years and a big KOTN bonus since he really needs the money.

Does anyone really wanna see a rematch with Penn and Fitch?

The thing I don't like about GSP going up and vacating the title is w/e wins it next is only getting it cause GSP left the div. Will always be in my mind that w/e has it is champ because GSP allows it :p

Yeah I really liked the fight and I'd love to see it again, especially if it was a five rounder for the title. If GSP moves up his ghost is gonna be hanging over that division for a couple of years until some new mega dynamite talent sweeps away the competition like he did.

Fun show, that. Every fight had something interesting. I fell in love with Brian Ebersole. His ridiculous moves should had earned with a quick kicking, but the guy has some skill beneath the cartwheels. Dug him.

I cheered Bisping's illegal knee. Cheating? Yes. But he was the guy I was rooting for, so Yay. Everyone else watching hated ol' pillow-hands, so I was not the most popular guy in the room when I screamed "Knee him again!" shortly before the TKO.

I scored the main event 10-9 BJ, 10-9 Fitch, 10-8 Fitch. The draw saddens me, but I can kinda see how it's possible.

Riki Fukuda will be getting paid a win bonus and be treated as if he had won the fight going forward. I still can't believe the judges gave Ring the nod.

I read that Dana White thinks the Penn won the fight (first two rounds to Penn and only a 10-9 3rd). Wonder if this is just hate for Fitch or because he would rather Penn on top for his draw power.

Riki Fukuda will be getting paid a win bonus and be treated as if he had won the fight going forward. I still can't believe the judges gave Ring the nod.

I read that Dana White thinks the Penn won the fight (first two rounds to Penn and only a 10-9 3rd). Wonder if this is just hate for Fitch or because he would rather Penn on top for his draw power.

Well it's not totally unfeasible. Like, Edgar/Maynard first round, that was given a 10-8, and Edgar almost got finished twice. Penn was never close to being done. I bet Fitch has had many rounds like that scored 10-9, just the circumstances made it more severe.

A quick question here:

"Why do MMA fighters generally only fight 2 matches a year?"

MMA fighters don't, but many UFC fighters do.

99.9% of the time it's a scheduling issue. The UFC simple have too many fighters to give everyone three or four fights a year. Not a problem if you're on GSP money, but not so great if you're the new guy on the unaired prelims.

There's a huge undercurrent of discontent amongst UFC fighters and agents right now, but of course, they can't say anything. Sure, they will make more money from a fight in the UFC than anywhere else, but if they only fight twice, then taking four fights in a smaller org becomes the more attractive option, both for their career and their bank account.

It's not just about getting paid either...a lot of agents are frustrated about the fact that they can't manage their young fighter's careers properly. When you have a prospect, as an agent you want to bring him up the right way; that's just common sense. The UFC have a contractual clause that allows a fighter's agent to turn down one offered fight, but they *must* accept the second.

The situation now is that agents are scarred to turn down any fights because they don't want their guys to get shelved for another two months (they get paid when the fighter gets paid). It leads to a lot of young guys taking fights that aren't good for them at that point in their careers. But what can they do, it's a monopoly.

The irony is, the bigger other promotions get, the stronger the monopoly becomes. I know for a fact that for some time now, cut UFC fighters or up and coming fighters waiting for their UFC shot have been plainly told that if they show up on a Strikeforce card, not to bother knocking on Zuffa's door again. It's starting to get the same way with Bellator.

So guys just plod along, taking their 2-3 fights a year.

Ever wonder why the UFC are all of a sudden cramming three fights onto Prelims broadcasts and putting fights on Facebook? To 'give back' to the fans? Nope. Because people tweeted Dana that they wanted to see the fight? Nope. It's simply a way for these undercard fighters to get paid via sponsorships, to make up for the fact that they'll probably only fight 2-3 times that year.

RANT OVER.