The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Was told a great story yesterday by Grant Waterman - England's most experienced/respected MMA ref.

Many many years ago, Grant, who promotes his own shows under the UK-1 banner (not to be confused with UK1 rules used by UCMMA and others) had Vitor 'Shaolin' Ribeiro staying at his home here in England. He was there to do a couple of seminars and corner someone at Grants event that weekend.

Anyway, he brings over his fighter and this other tiny, REALLY young looking Brazilian kid, all to sleep in a spare room at Grant's house for a week. Grant said the boy barely looked 15. Anyway, Shaolin says to him...

"Mr Grant, can you get my friend a fight" (pointing to the kid)

Grant looks as the kid as if to say 'Are you joking?'

"Please Mr Grant...he need money, he need money"

"Ok, look..." says Grant, "...I can give him a couple of hundred quid."

"Yes, yes, is fine" says Shaolin.

Anyway, Grant was assured that the kid was over 16, but the only guy he could find to match the kid up with was at the time a national Judo champ. He didn't want to put the fight on, especially at a day's notice, but Shaolin insisted that the kid needed the money and was willing to fight a much better guy.

So the fight goes ahead. Seconds in, this judo fella is looking really confident...then CRACK, the kid lands a leg kick that cripples him. CRACK, another, and another, and another...and it's all over in seconds.

The fight never went on the kid's pro record, which isn't all that uncommon with tiny events, but he was paid his couple of hundred quid, so it was his first pro fight.

That kid was Jose Aldo. :D

Lol, I'll do my best :-p I'm going to a super secret UFC Undisputed 3 event tomorrow, so I'll be tweeting lots of good stuff from there no doubt ;)

Is it so top secret you can't tell people? if you can tell people, can i tell the offical forums so people can be on the look out?

Other UFC Undisputed 3 news, demo comes out this tuesday.

Is it so top secret you can't tell people? if you can tell people, can i tell the offical forums so people can be on the look out?

I hope not, as I've already told you lot :-p

To be honest, I'll have no idea what we can and cannot talk about until I get there in the morning. I'm sure the whole point of it is to get media talking though, so hopefully I'll have some interesting stuff to tweet, even if it is just my opinion on the game!

I very much doubt we'll be able to let the cat out of the bag on anything that isn't yet in the public eye.

My aim for the day is to beat Brad Pickett, while playing as Brad Pickett.

I hope not, as I've already told you lot :-p

To be honest, I'll have no idea what we can and cannot talk about until I get there in the morning. I'm sure the whole point of it is to get media talking though, so hopefully I'll have some interesting stuff to tweet, even if it is just my opinion on the game!

I very much doubt we'll be able to let the cat out of the bag on anything that isn't yet in the public eye.

My aim for the day is to beat Brad Pickett, while playing as Brad Pickett.

if it's anything like last week's secret showing you should be able to play the full game with an open bar, if this is true please tell me the ultimate fights, if you can. ;)

edit: got my UFC Undisputed 3 alpha code today :)

UFC level = myth. I have submitted a former UFC HW champion. S**t happens.

Agree in regard to talent. But in terms of training and his record, he's not at that level. In large part, its a problem of geography. His last two fights were against guys who are now in the UFC (actually watching one of them, Nick Denis, winning his debut right now) but he lost both. He tried out for the last season of TUF but his record basically meant he wasn't getting in no matter what he did in the tryouts.

http://mmaweekly.com/impressive-finishes-equal-ufc-on-fx-fight-night-bonuses-of-45000

Odd that morecraft/barry got the FOTN award. I feel like the Easton/Papazian fight was the best one. I know they award finishes, but those two left it all out there, man.

Either way, great night of fights overall. I still think Morecraft has something. the kid's got size and he's quick and powerful. I'm not saying he's the next Jonny Bones Jones or anything, but I see potential in him. Maybe if he dropped a little more weight, he'd be able to add more quickness and agility to his size and strength.

http://mmaweekly.com/impressive-finishes-equal-ufc-on-fx-fight-night-bonuses-of-45000

Odd that morecraft/barry got the FOTN award. I feel like the Easton/Papazian fight was the best one. I know they award finishes, but those two left it all out there, man.

Either way, great night of fights overall. I still think Morecraft has something. the kid's got size and he's quick and powerful. I'm not saying he's the next Jonny Bones Jones or anything, but I see potential in him. Maybe if he dropped a little more weight, he'd be able to add more quickness and agility to his size and strength.

I think it's because Uncle Dana wanted to give a bonus to Pat Barry. And he was like, what the hell, I might as well keep Morecraft now, too. This probably indicates that Morecraft may have a chance to get another fight in the UFC. He couldn't give him the KO bonus...

By the way, I think there might be chance that no one gets cut this time. The fights REALLY delivered.

Hey Mr. 48, how was ur ufc undisputed 3 party? Any info you can tell me? *cough* ultimate fights *cough*

Ah, you know what, I fully intended to write them all down for you, but I didn't actually play Ultimate Fight mode at all! Too busy with Career mode and just playing fights!

Gonna have a full report up later which I'll link here, as well as a little piece just on career mode.

Who?

It's considered very bad form to drop names. Obviously said person would pull my arms and legs off if he wanted too :-p