The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I don't think he has a different strategy...his wrestling is, and always has been, garbage. I don't think we'll see him pull guard much either...his BJJ may be amongst the best in the sport, but with the state of his eyes he doesn't want to be on the bottom against someone like Condit in an environment where elbows are allowed.

State of his eyes? What are you talking about? Seriously, I'm curious.

But in any case, not only is his wrestling garbage, his match against Condit exposed a lot of his major weaknesses. He's going to have to bumrush Condit, because I can see this is like Penn/Edgar situation, where Condit does more of the same, except much better this time.

State of his eyes? What are you talking about? Seriously, I'm curious.

He was born with a very defined bone structure around his eyes and cheekbones. Not good for someone who boxes/does MMA as much as he does. He had surgery a few years back to file the sharp bones in his eyebrows down.

It's not perfect though, and he still has issues with scar tissue from getting cut so often in fights/sparring.

He was born with a very defined bone structure around his eyes and cheekbones. Not good for someone who boxes/does MMA as much as he does. He had surgery a few years back to file the sharp bones in his eyebrows down.

It's not perfect though, and he still has issues with scar tissue from getting cut so often in fights/sparring.

Oh, yeah, I know what you are talking about now.

...is it just me, or does Nate look kinda different from Nick? Nick has a very bony face, but Nate's facial features are... not as well defined.

Yea Diaz/Condit 2 is silly. I think if they want that fight they wait until after the GSP fight. Diaz was outpointed. In my opinion, the fight wasn't dominated by either fighter, but Condit beat him rather clearly on the scorecard. Close. But not close enough to warrant the immediate rematch.

If UFC was truly trying to give the shot to the most deserved fighter, the winner of Sanchez/Ellenburger might deserve the interim title fight before Diaz does. But life isn't fair. And Diaz is a draw.

Does anyone think Diaz will take a different strategy coming into a rematch?

Diaz has fought the exact same way his entire career and he's never adapted or changed because all of his losses are somehow robberies in his mind. Riggs wrestled him, Sherk boxed him, Condit kicked him; doesn't matter, he totally won those fights, just look at his opponent's face bro (except Condit.)

There's absolutely no reason to think he'll fight any differently. Condit's going to beat him again and his contingent of Fedor/BJ-esque fans will cry robbery again.

e: also the rematch is garbage matchmaking but that's prevalent in any and all combat sports so there's not much you can do. Kinda sucks that someone like Ellenberger won't get to step up though.

Wow. Didn't realise that UFC handed out twitter bonuses. Makes me wonder why they're not all twittering like madmen. You can make more doing that then with fighting in the UFC. :rolleyes:

Beware of the Torres gambit!

:p

Talk about gambits, did I already mention the idea that we could be starting some sort of betting league or something? We'd just develop some simple system: get bets off some respected site and bet virtual money on any kind of medium-to-high-profile fights that are happening in the near future. At first it could just be UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator, but other events could be added by request. Anybody can join anytime and get a 'buy-in'. You don't 'have' to bet if you enlist yourself in the game. There'd be a couple of rules but nothing complex: Everyone gets 5000$ buyin, maximum bets are 500$ (for example). We could have a bi-monthly 'joker' bet that doubles the output of the bet, etc.

It could be fun. Won't be much work for anyone as you just need to visit the thead a day before the event and place some bets. Me or some other volunteer would work out the output the day after the event and create some league ranking. That's it. It could colour up the forum. Never seen a forum where they have it but I'm sure there must be plenty. If you know one, please post it so we could steal their system.

What do you guys think? Anybody that would be interested?

@ rematch being garbage matchmaking: The only loser is Condit. The title fight would only be in november. Condit, if he wins, would silence all critics, and Diaz could give GSP the fight he wanted in the first place. Everybody wins! (provided they do, in fact, win the match)

Bisping has left Wolfslair. Does our resident journo know why?

It's been on the cards for a while, more of a logistical thing than anything else. His family lives in Cali now, and he's trained for his last few fights out there with Tiki Ghosn and co.

He's having to fly his coaches etc out to Cali for every fight, and that's not cheap - especially when there is no shortage of great guys to train with out in the US.

Like I said it's been on the cards, but I was just as surprised as the next man when it came out today. There's no bad blood that I've heard of.

Interesting as well that Shogun has given an interview saying that the UFC has made it clear to fighters that they don't need managers. Aldo split with Soares recently, and the guy who owns the Wolfy also manages Mike. Could be the start of a trend of fighters ditching their managers and letting their coaches deal directly with the UFC. That's clearly what the UFC wants, as they've made no bones about their disdain for managers for a while now. I'm torn myself. Managers can be a blessing and a curse...

Well, it's official, Diaz tested positive for the green.

The guy is an idiot.

I bet Dana is thanking his lucky stars that Diaz didn't win that fight now!!

I'm guessing the Sanchez/Ellenberger winner gets the next title shot now. Wouldn't be surprised to see that fight headline a Fox card in June/July. Kos vs Hendricks co-main event.

Condit vs Diaz is trending at 400,000 buys.

Interesting as well that Shogun has given an interview saying that the UFC has made it clear to fighters that they don't need managers.

I believe Dos Santos also mentioned the same thing several months ago when he split from Black House.

I guess if the UFC are doing all these things for the fighters, then i can fully understand why they wouldn't feel the need to have a manager.