The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

So Reem says it was due to an anti-inflammatory drug he didn't know contained testosterone. Wonder if it'll fly.

There is one very, very simple response to that statement if you A) work for the UFC, B) are on the next AC panel that licences Overeem or C) are the next journalist that interviews him.

Could you show me the prescription for the anti-inflammatory drug your were prescribed?

Problem solved.

What kind of anti-inflammatory drug raises your testosterone again? Shoot, if people get can big as Overeem using Tylenol...

Cortisone would be the one that most people are probably familiar with.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and Diclofenac don't cut the mustards for athletes. They need something more potent, and Cortisone shots fit the ticket.

So Reem says it was due to an anti-inflammatory drug he didn't know contained testosterone. Wonder if it'll fly.

Which would be his third story for why he flunked the test. I know why almost nobody who flunks a test comes out and admits they knowingly took steroids or whatever, but why do they all seem to come up with the most preposterous bullshit and expect people to believe it and/or not realize how stupid it makes them look for trying it in the first place? It wouldn't to take much to expose this as yet another line of crap, but the sad part is I don't expect anyone involved to ask the necessary question and instead they'll play along, wag their fingers and refuse to license him for a year and act like they're being tough.

There is one very, very simple response to that statement if you A) work for the UFC, B) are on the next AC panel that licences Overeem or C) are the next journalist that interviews him.

Could you show me the prescription for the anti-inflammatory drug your were prescribed?

Problem solved.

Even if he was to show that prescription, he should, & would still be handed a suspension. King Mo i believe proved that his positive test was down to a supplement he took that contained a banned substance that he did not know about... The commission just don't care about these excuses. Fighters should know better.

Which would be his third story for why he flunked the test. I know why almost nobody who flunks a test comes out and admits they knowingly took steroids or whatever, but why do they all seem to come up with the most preposterous bullshit and expect people to believe it and/or not realize how stupid it makes them look for trying it in the first place? It wouldn't to take much to expose this as yet another line of crap, but the sad part is I don't expect anyone involved to ask the necessary question and instead they'll play along, wag their fingers and refuse to license him for a year and act like they're being tough.

In this case the excuse isn't that preposterous at all. Cortisone (or similar) injections are really common. My mum is 58 and still rides horses; she gets them in her hip. I used to get them in my knee and right hand when I was actively training, and I'll have to have them when I start to go up a gear again (hoping to fight before the year is out).

To me what's naughty about this is him saying that he didn't know. Say you took it out of competition when you weren't licensed. Get a doctor to send the prescription to the AC. Job done, you've not broken any rules and they can't touch you. (Assuming that's the truth, of course. If not, lie and pay a naughty doc to falsify a script for you).

If this was some meathead moron (which Overeem isn't, he's a really smart, intelligent dude) I could understand it. But knowing the amount of work that guy does on his body, there's no way I'm buying that he didn't know what was in the shots he was given.

BFC fighter Raphael Davis arrested on fraud charges, that's never good.

Chael Sonnen laundered 250 large through his reality firm, is fighting for the title. Mike Whitehead pulled the old "yeah you can sleep in my bed... ;)" trick in his marijuana grow house and then resisted arrest. He just got comped tickets by the UFC to 145... Somehow I think he'll be fine. MMA, man.

Chael Sonnen laundered 250 large through his reality firm, is fighting for the title. Mike Whitehead pulled the old "yeah you can sleep in my bed... ;)" trick in his marijuana grow house and then resisted arrest. He just got comped tickets by the UFC to 145... Somehow I think he'll be fine. MMA, man.

This is different. This offense is more offensive, because he technically not only lied to the government, he might have also lied to Bellator as well. If he as on worker's compensation, no way he should be fighting.

So Silva/Sonnen 2 is happening at 148. Kinda wanted to see the mayhem in Rio tbh.

I love when they go to Brazil because I like the loud and rowdy crowds so I'm very dissapointed about this fight being in Vegas but heck, atleast we still get to see it. Maybe when Sonnen dominates Anderson for 5 rounds and wins the belt, we can see Silva/Sonnen III in Brazil? :D

Don't even know what so say after sitting on the conference call for that entire hearing.

I think I'll stop pretending that MMA is a real sport for a while. What a farce :(

After watching the Overeem hearing unfold on twitter: I don't know if I'm most upset by, Tra Telligman recommended "Dr. Molina", the NSAC for all but asking "Mr. Overeem" for his autograph during sentencing, or the fact athletes still think "the dog ate my homework" excuse that is "I didn't know what I was taking" is going to fly.

So I was wandering the wastes of Wikipedia one dull afternoon and ended up surfing my way through recent UFC events. I headed over to 146, and lo-and-behold, what faced me but a deletion notice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_146

See also this page for some of the 'points' suggesting why UFC pages should be deleted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:UFC_145

A bit of research reveals we have a couple of wiki-zealots trying to remove or downgrade a lot of the MMA information on the site. If anyone has any pull over there (I don't) and wants to make their voice heard and can do so without feeding the trolls within that beaurocratic nightmare, please do. Unite, my MMA-loving brothers!

According to Liverkick writer Rian Scalia it's one high-ranking reality show wikian named MTKing who deleted almost every K-1 event from wikipedia on the same grounds; that MMA and K-1 events fall under the same guidelines as single NFL, MLB, or MLS games do. Thus aren't "notable enough to be encyclopedic" It's bullshit. But, According to Wikipedia's ToD you can kiss it all goodbye very soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:UFC_145 Here's the talk thread btw.

Don't even know what so say after sitting on the conference call for that entire hearing.

I think I'll stop pretending that MMA is a real sport for a while. What a farce :(

I'm not 100% sure of what went on witht he conference call that was so upsetting, but if MMA is trying to minimize a PED abuser, it would sound like any real sport to me.