Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I thought their track record was better than that. Its not bad but its also not great. Then again I remember hearing about how Jr. really revitalized the farm system for NY refocusing on it. In the last few years it looked like they had an entire starting rotation coming up with Joba, Ian, Hughes and somebody else I can't remember. <p> </p><p> The Cardinals have had just off the top of my head. </p><p> </p><p> Danny Haren (2nd in Cy Young voting on two occasions I think)</p><p> Adam Wainwright (3rd in Cy Young voting last year)</p><p> Albert Pujols </p><p> Yadier Molina (argubably the best defensive catcher in baseball)</p><p> Skip Schumaker (.300 hitter over the last four seasons)</p><p> Brendan Ryan (gold glove caliber SS for the last two years)</p><p> Brett Wallace (we traded him for Matt Holliday)</p><p> J.D Drew </p><p> Colby Rasmus (still unproven but A graded minor leaguer and so called five tool player)</p><p> Placido Polanco </p><p> Adam Kennedy </p><p> </p><p> There are other unknown prospects we've traded for guys like Mulder, DeRosa, etc. </p><p> </p><p> As it stands right now this year</p><p> </p><p> C - Molina (farm system)</p><p> 1B - Pujols (farm syste)</p><p> 2B Skip Schumaker - .306 hitter the last 4 yrs he's been on the team (farm system </p><p> SS - Brendan Ryan - 98.5 fielding ptg, .294 hitter last year (farm system)</p><p> 3B - David Freese (rookie year)</p><p> CF - Colby Rasmus (sophmore year) 280 avg, 6 HR (farm system)</p><p> </p><p> Wainwright 5-1 2.08 ERA (farm system)</p><p> Jamie Garcia 4-2, 1.42 ERA</p><p> </p><p> looking at this years numbers so far and realizing that nearly our entire starting team has been taken from our farm system in the last five years is pretty damn impressive.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> that's a go system and most weren't even first 3 round talent</p>

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Cardinals have one heck of a pitcher coming up through the system, Shelby Miller. He's was their number one pick last year. He's a 19 year old who by every account I've heard is going to be a very good pitcher. He's standing at a 14.3 K/9 inning rate right now.

Amen! 7 homeruns today, I"m expecting a lot off that loser Beckette tomorrow when I"m there. But then again, CC isn't going to be allowing many HR's...

I really wish I could make it to a game at the new Stadium. Hope you have fun tomorrow.

I really wish I could make it to a game at the new Stadium. Hope you have fun tomorrow.

Thank you sir, I'm going to one the next night too against Tampa Bay. I went last year vs. Tampa, Mariano blew the game :( I believe it was may 8th or 7th. The day before A-Rod came back. They wouldn't let us in the museum after the game so we're going to get there early this time!

If he could jog like that without showing signs of being injured (until after he allowed two runs to score on the play) he could have made a much better effort. The nanosecond he kicks that ball away he goes into "well I'm just gonna jog after this ball" mode.

darn he's on my fan. team

so funny thing about fantasy teams is the Rays vs Indians

I have two Indians on my team and my opp. had the Rays Closer so I was rooting for my opp. players to do well :p

I remember one year my team was stacked with Cubs and Red Sox players (not by choice just luck of the draw). Whenever either team would have a day off, half of my team could not play. I finished in dead last.

Hanley is a douche for calling out the manager, especially the next day. Same day I can understand, but next day after you've had time to cool off?

only problem for Gonzalez is this will turn into a classic manger vs star player

and 90% of the time the player wins when the owner decides. I don't see Hanley has a douche for this for a couple reasons.

1) he has never caused problems from what I can recall.

2) He was hurt he and even made note of it. Gonzalez kept him in there and he got a play from someone who was running limp.

Should he have been a little more professional about it, sure. If he would have would we be talking about this? Something tells me their is something else going on

Freddie will get another job regardless (possibly Atlanta when Cox retires).

And Hanley has caused problems in the past. He was called out last year by Uggla for taking himself out of a game with a questionable hamstring injury). He was also a baby about the dress code earlier this year (I think Spring Training).

As for the second point, he didn't show any signs of injury when he first ran the to the ball. But then he just dogged it. What's worse are his comments the next day.

"He's the [expletive deleted] manager, he can do what he wants...He's never played in the major leagues...There's 24 other guys on the team, maybe they can do what I do out there."

Had he just admitted he was wrong in dogging it, it would not have blown up nationally. But instead, he truly believes he did nothing wrong. The kid is delusional. Great talent, horrible person though.

And the Cardinals have one heck of a pitcher coming up through the system, Shelby Miller. He's was their number one pick last year. He's a 19 year old who by every account I've heard is going to be a very good pitcher. He's standing at a 14.3 K/9 inning rate right now.

Shelby Miller, adam ottavino and PJ Walters are all in the minors waiting to get called up and all are supposed to be excellent pitchers. Reminds me when we had Haren, Reyes and Wainwright in the minors. Of course we traded Haren for Mulder and Reyes forgot how to pitch after 2006 but still.

Shelby Miller, adam ottavino and PJ Walters are all in the minors waiting to get called up and all are supposed to be excellent pitchers. Reminds me when we had Haren, Reyes and Wainwright in the minors. Of course we traded Haren for Mulder and Reyes forgot how to pitch after 2006 but still.

can he hit :p

Ha no the last pitcher who we turned into a hitter only did so for a year. I knew Ankiel was a fraud a wolf in sheep's clothing and I was hoping we'd move him after that first year. Even that first year he trailed off severely at the end due to "injury". In reality pitchers figured the guy out.

I feel good about our team Molina, Pujols (if he resigns), Schumaker, Ryan, Freese, Rasmus, and Holliday are all fairly young and should be around for quite a while longer.

Ha no the last pitcher who we turned into a hitter only did so for a year. I knew Ankiel was a fraud a wolf in sheep's clothing and I was hoping we'd move him after that first year. Even that first year he trailed off severely at the end due to "injury". In reality pitchers figured the guy out.

I feel good about our team Molina, Pujols (if he resigns), Schumaker, Ryan, Freese, Rasmus, and Holliday are all fairly young and should be around for quite a while longer.

I think you guys will still do well with out Pujols if he elected to play somewhere else. I have always believed great teams prepare for the worst and have a plan. You guys have a solid team top to bottom and really should do fine, keep the pitching intact, and keep playing sound baseball and it will be fine

Like the Rays, they are built for a long time because they don't go out and trade prospects for rent a players. Jennings has improved his numbers in each level of the Minors and reminds a lot of people of a Crawford, we have Zobrist who can play so many position and so can S-Rod. just like the Cards and Twins they are a well put together team

Yeah, that was exciting watching those three guys come up through the ranks. I always thought Anthony Reyes was just going to be amazing, but eh, not so much. He's still young though, hopefully he bounces back from his surgery. I pull for him and Chris Perez on the Indians.

We had something really special in Danny Haren. As easy as it is to say that we never should have made that trade now that we are in 2010, it's something we had to do because all signs pointed to Mark Mulder being the man that would come and be the ace that we needed so badly at the time. I've seen Ottavino and Walters both pitch, I haven't got a chance to see Shelby yet though, but he sounds like a future front of the rotation pitcher.

Yeah when we made that trade in what 04? We didn't have Carp yet, Wainwright was in the minors and our rotation had guys like Matt Morris (who I thought would wind up being an ace himself and did hold the fort down for quite a while) and then it was just really good journymen the type that Duncan can really work some magic with. Guys like Suppan, Williams, etc. I think we had Carp but it was his first year with us coming off of surgery nobody expected him to become a Cy Young winner.

So yeah Haren for Mulder who was already a proven ace at the time seemed like a great deal but for whatever reason bad luck or Oakland running his arm into the ground he never got right with us.

Yeah when we made that trade in what 04? We didn't have Carp yet, Wainwright was in the minors and our rotation had guys like Matt Morris (who I thought would wind up being an ace himself and did hold the fort down for quite a while) and then it was just really good journymen the type that Duncan can really work some magic with. Guys like Suppan, Williams, etc. I think we had Carp but it was his first year with us coming off of surgery nobody expected him to become a Cy Young winner.

So yeah Haren for Mulder who was already a proven ace at the time seemed like a great deal but for whatever reason bad luck or Oakland running his arm into the ground he never got right with us.

you did, you signed him in 03 I believe but he was still coming off tommy john in 02. In 04 he pitched wonderfully for you guys but was benched in the playoffs due to a pinch nerve

He reminds me a lot of J. Santana. start of his career was very rocky, then you guy stole him (signed him dirty cheap when many casted him off) coming off TJS and he won 15 games, then a CY young and got hurt again

But Chris was never considered a good pitcher until he went to St. Louis so that was just a smart baseball move by you guys

Yeah Chris is insanely good when he's healthy but like you said he missed the 04 playoffs due to a pinched nerve, he won the Cy Young in 05, he had some nagging injuries in 06 but was there for the Series. Then went down and spent most of 07 and 08 on the IR then came back last year and had a few months off, came back and was lights out the rest of the year. I always cringe about June or July just expecting him to get hurt and just hoping he can make it back in time for the playoffs.