Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to agree with Gator, if allowed to reach open market the Mets have to be in the race for him. Right now 1B is a weak spot for them in my opinion. Why not go after the one of the best if not the best 1B in the game?

And you can also look at it as a way to one up the Yankees. You have Tex well the Mets have Albert!

I got to agree with Gator, if allowed to reach open market the Mets have to be in the race for him. Right now 1B is a weak spot for them in my opinion. Why not go after the one of the best if not the best 1B in the game?

And you can also look at it as a way to one up the Yankees. You have Tex well the Mets have Albert!

Do you think the Yankees might try for him :rolleyes:

even with tex they could target Albert, and don't say they wouldn't, if it meant another 5 world series rings, they would sign the check to sir Albert for whatever you want........ Babe's number sure lmao

Do you think the Yankees might try for him :rolleyes:

even with tex they could target Albert, and don't say they wouldn't, if it meant another 5 world series rings, they would sign the check to sir Albert for whatever you want........ Babe's number sure lmao

As much as I would love it, I just don't see that happening. I think he will stay with St. Louis. If not then he might end up on the Mets.

As much as I would love it, I just don't see that happening. I think he will stay with St. Louis. If not then he might end up on the Mets.

im just saying, you never know with the Yanks, plus the mets don't lose either way cuz Carlos Pena will probably hit the market, but he could be another guy the yanks target. they still need help in the DH position as well as LF (please don't do it Carl Crawford)

Pujols won't get an A-Rod type deal. The A-Rod deal was a deal that could have only happened with A-Rod and only in that situation. It was a bizarre circumstance, not a trend setter.

I say Pujols gets 8 years $200M with 2 option years attached.

No offense, but this is pure BS. If you think ANYONE is trying to hear that, I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada to sell you.

A-Rod set the market. Thus, Albert has to get AT LEAST that much or people will chalk it up to a 'hometown discount'. 200 would be WAY too low for a deal that long, unless they let him void the last four. They need to pay him more because, unlike A-Rod, Albert isn't playing in a major media market and thus, doesn't have the same endorsement potential. In addition to that, I'm positive we have a larger Dominican population that St. Louis and this is a much larger podium for Albert to work his charitable endeavors from.

Sorry, to quote Deion Sanders: PAY THE MAN. If St. Louis doesn't want to, I can guarantee at least a half dozen other teams (in much larger markets) will queue up to throw money at him. A-Rod switched positions when he joined the Yankees. Albert would do the same, I think. However, I don't see him leaving St. Louis (they'll pay him - market value).

Cards just played a full twenty innings at Bush a seven plus hour game. We lost 20-1 but to be fair we had third basemen pitching the last three innings of the game and if we got that call at 2nd with Luddy being safe we woulda won it in the 19th either way certainly goes againt trying to cut down on the time it takes to play the game when you have a seven hour game :)

No offense, but this is pure BS. If you think ANYONE is trying to hear that, I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada to sell you.

A-Rod set the market. Thus, Albert has to get AT LEAST that much or people will chalk it up to a 'hometown discount'. 200 would be WAY too low for a deal that long, unless they let him void the last four. They need to pay him more because, unlike A-Rod, Albert isn't playing in a major media market and thus, doesn't have the same endorsement potential. In addition to that, I'm positive we have a larger Dominican population that St. Louis and this is a much larger podium for Albert to work his charitable endeavors from.

Sorry, to quote Deion Sanders: PAY THE MAN. If St. Louis doesn't want to, I can guarantee at least a half dozen other teams (in much larger markets) will queue up to throw money at him. A-Rod switched positions when he joined the Yankees. Albert would do the same, I think. However, I don't see him leaving St. Louis (they'll pay him - market value).

I'll eat an entire spring ensemble if Albert signs 10-year a $300M deal.

Cards just played a full twenty innings at Bush a seven plus hour game. We lost 20-1 but to be fair we had third basemen pitching the last three innings of the game and if we got that call at 2nd with Luddy being safe we woulda won it in the 19th either way certainly goes againt trying to cut down on the time it takes to play the game when you have a seven hour game :)

If LaRussa doesn't give that glacier the greenlight you win anyway. That was one of the worst managing decisions I've ever seen. Down 1 with the best player in the sport at bat. LaRussa gives a man with 16 career steals (at a blistering 57% career success rate) the green light. Even if he was safe, Pujols was going to get walked, thus taking the bat out of the hands of the man most likely to help your team win.

Then Pujols promptly hits a double that Ludwick could have moonwalked home from first on. LaRussa out did himself tonight.

I can only pray to see another Jerry Manuel-Tony LaRussa battle of wits tomorrow night.

If its all the same to everyone else I'll be perfectly content with the best player of the last ten years staying in St. Louis for the rest of his career :)

Easy way to ensure that.

Pay him.

I'll eat an entire spring ensemble if Albert signs 10-year a $300M deal.

Minimum. He's the best player in the game (as well as being ridiculously consistent...and he performs in the playoffs) and without him, the Cards have as much a chance of getting deep into the playoffs as the Cubs. He's 'The Franchise' (just like Derek Jeter is for us) and those people get their money over and above anyone else.

Sorry, I'm a proponent of paying a person respective to their value. Pujols has proven himself to be the most valuable player on the Cards and arguably in the entire game. Thus, it is my belief that he should be the highest paid player in the game (not just on the Cards). All the various excuses to the contrary are just that. I guarantee the Cardinals know the deal. They do not want him to hit the open market. In addition to being an awesome on-field talent, he's also an excellent locker room influence and phenomenal in the community. All of that has value, especially these days.

Joe Mauer is probably the 2nd best in the game right now and he just got an 8 year 184 million dollar(23 million per year) contract. This was truely a hometown discount as he would have gotten atleast 10 years 250 million on the open market. Im thinking Albert sets the new price unless he gives the Cards a break.

The biggest difference between Mauer and Pujols is that Mauer had no desire to leave Minnesota where Albert may leave St Louis if they try to low ball him.

Minimum. He's the best player in the game (as well as being ridiculously consistent...and he performs in the playoffs) and without him, the Cards have as much a chance of getting deep into the playoffs as the Cubs. He's 'The Franchise' (just like Derek Jeter is for us) and those people get their money over and above anyone else.

The Cards have two and potentially three #1s in their rotation. That alone can get them deep into the playoffs.

Sorry, I'm a proponent of paying a person respective to their value.

Rarely happens in pro sports.

Pujols has proven himself to be the most valuable player on the Cards and arguably in the entire game. Thus, it is my belief that he should be the highest paid player in the game (not just on the Cards).

Should he be? Sure. Will he be? Doubtful.

All the various excuses to the contrary are just that. I guarantee the Cardinals know the deal. They do not want him to hit the open market. In addition to being an awesome on-field talent, he's also an excellent locker room influence and phenomenal in the community. All of that has value, especially these days.

Who is giving Pujols $30M a year in free agency? The Yankees? No. The Red Sox? Very, very long shot. The Dodgers? No. The Mets? Hell no. The Angels? No.

No team that's worth two ****s will pay Pujols the money he wants. If Pujols wants to get paid in free agency he can go to Baltimore, Peter Angelos will be more than happy to overpay him and surround him with absolute trash.

The only way Pujols signs a $300M deal is if a good chunk is deferred. Or if he threatens to go to the Cubs :p

Out of the guys who are being paid the big bucks I'd say Pujols is with 30 mill plus. I mean you've got the best player in baseball who's probably gonna break the home run record legitimately, who is the most productive hitter in the majors. Again, I say, how is he not worth 30 mil? I'm looking at this through an agent prospective.

The Cards have two and potentially three #1s in their rotation. That alone can get them deep into the playoffs.

Rarely happens in pro sports.

Should he be? Sure. Will he be? Doubtful.

Who is giving Pujols $30M a year in free agency? The Yankees? No. The Red Sox? Very, very long shot. The Dodgers? No. The Mets? Hell no. The Angels? No.

No team that's worth two ****s will pay Pujols the money he wants. If Pujols wants to get paid in free agency he can go to Baltimore, Peter Angelos will be more than happy to overpay him and surround him with absolute trash.

The only way Pujols signs a $300M deal is if a good chunk is deferred. Or if he threatens to go to the Cubs :p

IF you dont think the Yankees or Mets would pay Pujols 30 million per year than you dont know them teams very well.

Why arent they?

I admit they have skill and talent. BUT seriously 30 Million dollars a year?

My biggest problem with this is they do what they do because they love it and they are good at it. What about the millions of workers who are doing manual labor and getting paid crap for it?

All the people struggling to survive and these people make MILLIONS of dollars a year ?

Granted they go through a lot physically, but I don't think they are worth 30 MILLION dollars a year.

I am not just saying this about baseball players either.

Actors, sports players, and all that kind of stuff.

My biggest problem with this is they do what they do because they love it and they are good at it. What about the millions of workers who are doing manual labor and getting paid crap for it?

All the people struggling to survive and these people make MILLIONS of dollars a year ?

Granted they go through a lot physically, but I don't think they are worth 30 MILLION dollars a year.

Thousands of people don't pay money to come watch me write reports on any given night. Thousands of people aren't willing to pay $8 a beer or $5 for a hotdog while watching me write that report.

Nobody pays at least $100 for my replica work shirt either.

The amount of revenue these players bring in for their teams, especially a guy like Albert, is well over 30 mil a year.

Supply and demand. They are actually getting well below market value because the owners are so greedy. The make so much because they are in the gifted few that can draw in the kind of money that rev talks about.

Its the same for actors. They have easy high paying jobs but not everyone can do it otherwise they wouldnt get paid so much.

If people stopped watching them and stopped coming to the ballpark they would make what everyone else does.

Thousands of people don't pay money to come watch me write reports on any given night. Thousands of people aren't willing to pay $8 a beer or $5 for a hotdog while watching me write that report.

Nobody pays at least $100 for my replica work shirt either.

The amount of revenue these players bring in for their teams, especially a guy like Albert, is well over 30 mil a year.

Supply and demand. They are actually getting well below market value because the owners are so greedy. The make so much because they are in the gifted few that can draw in the kind of money that rev talks about.

Its the same for actors. They have easy high paying jobs but not everyone can do it otherwise they wouldnt get paid so much.

If people stopped watching them and stopped coming to the ballpark they would make what everyone else does.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you both.

I enjoy watching from time to time.

It jut has me in awe that these gu;s make so much money.

IF you dont think the Yankees or Mets would pay Pujols 30 million per year than you dont know them teams very well.

No, YOU don't know them very well. Jeff Wilpon won't authorize an additional $30M a year in salary on one player. Maybe 3 off-seasons ago, but not now.

The Yankees have no where to put Pujols and they don't need him either.