Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pumped for opening day. Sitting in the dorm room missing class because today should be a national holiday. Watching my Cardinals play and boy does Albert know how to handle his first AB of the season.
Indeed. In fact, to protest Opening Day not being a national holiday, I worked from home this afternoon. I can assure you that this had absolutely nothing to do with the 12:10 opening pitch for the Cards game. :D

ALBERT! YADI! COLBY!

Gonna be a fun year in Cardinal National. :)

I got to be up at 5am tomorrow and my Twins are playing on the west coast. :( Damn 9:05 start time. :mad:

I'm in the same boat as you. Only going to catch maybe the first hour before I gotta get to bed to get up at 5 am. Hate when they play on the west coast.

Nothing better as a Braves fan than turning my TV right when I get home and watching Heyward's first at bat sail for a home run. It's been awhile since I got chills watching baseball but that crowd was going insane. Very cool moment.

I agree, that was awesome. I always love it when I get to see things like that.

:)

Indeed. In fact, to protest Opening Day not being a national holiday, I worked from home this afternoon. I can assure you that this had absolutely nothing to do with the 12:10 opening pitch for the Cards game. :D

ALBERT! YADI! COLBY!

Gonna be a fun year in Cardinal National. :)

That wind must have really been carrying, Albert's second and Yadi's Grand Slam both didn't look like they were gonna get out.

Colby with an awesome catch to go with that homerun and Carp didn't have a bad outing and picked up a win.

dont follow baseball to closely but I've been TRYING to get into it, mainly because I enjoy the MLB 2010 The Show game for PS3.

Only team I know much about is Toronto cause they are close to me. And they will suck this year, but show promise. Lind/Hill/Snider are good pillers for any team. And they finally have some young pitchers with promise in Kyle Drabek, and Ricky Romero (though they seem in no rush to throw Drakbek in the majors). They also have Zach Stewart who should develop into a #4 guy a least.

Hopefully by this off season Overbay, Encarnacion, Bautista, & Gonzalez are all gone and some young guys are given a chance or better FA's brought in. Brett Wallace is waiting in the wings to take over 1st Base, but even if he flops Lind could move to the infield to free-up the DH spot assuming Snider cements himself in Left this year. J.P. Arencibia or Travis D'Arnaud should be up next season too, with one of them, likely, taking over at catcher.

Anyhow should be an interesting season. I think its kind of good that Toronto is going to be on hard times as it will allow me to watch the team grow into a (hopeful) playoff team down the line.

I can't wait to see what Heyward does, over the last two years all I hear is the talk of that 2008 class with names like Price, LaPorta, Wieters

I am a Rays fan and personally I wanted them to draft Heyward, I believe in all the hype people have been feeding about him and can't wait to see what he does

Second time Rays have passed on someone with termendous skills, (Pujols was the other) he came in for a private tryout and everything but it didn't go over so well and the scout who wanted us to take in the 10th, 11th, 12th, and finally 13th resigned because of it.... I believe he works for the Cards now as well.

I still drool over what could have been if they would have picked Pujols over the likes of Nathan Cromer (never made it) his brother Jason Cromer (same), Jorge Maduro (same) and Jason Pruett (same)

in the 1999 draft they got Hamilton, Crawford, Matt Diaz (been a good player), Ryan Raburn (never signed and is with the Tigers now) and Pujols (if they would have listened to the scout) man that could have been a foundation lmao, oh what is a dream though

Guest cmdrsam
Pujols hits two home runs on opening day. Only two, Albert? What a letdown.

Man he is washed up aint he? 2 home runs, man what a let down.:p

I live near Jupiter where the Cardinals spring training is and even though I saw less games this year than the past few, they looked good. Rasmus seemed like a fun player to root for and it was neat to see McGwire about twenty feet away from me on the field.

Curious if this applies to anyone else. Until about five years ago baseball was my favorite spectators sport. Part of the reason I paid less attention was likely because the Braves lost a lot of their guys I was interested in, but I think there was a bigger factor. The stats, or sabermetrics. I'm not a bonehead when it comes to math, but I'm far from a scholar. I feel like I can't have an intelligent conversation about baseball anymore because I've never immersed myself in the VORPs and such. Does anyone else feel this way? Or has anyone come up with a way for learning these things without it feeling like homework?

Guest cmdrsam
I agree. I still try and watch as many games as I can. Even though it dont happen but once in a blue moon. I still love the 1-0 games. Vorps, WTF is that. I'm kidding. Somethings just cant be measured in stats. So Taguchi's last year with the redbirds and watching them let him go drove me nuts. Yes there are better skill players. But the man played intelligent ball. Hit the cut off man when it was neccessary. Stetched out hits when he knew he could make it. Dont think I ever saw him make a bone head play. Those things dont show up in stat box.

That cool. Still think Jeff's brother still could be a good pitcher.

I just looked Jared up, I thought he had been around a lot longer then he actually has. I think he can end up being a good pitcher, he is still young so that is a huge upside for him.

Guest cmdrsam
I thought it was Jarred and you are correct. Jeff was a battler in my opinion his brother has better stuff. But again my opinion. But back to the stats thing. I like simple stats, Batting avg, on base %, W/K ratio. Relievers I watch run scored that dont count on thier ERA. Simple things. Dont buy into the Sabermetrics, Vorps and such. Sometime I go by gut feeling. Got ootpX been tinkering with that. Good game I think, but like anything it has its flaws.