Red Dead Redemption

masterded

Well, I was searching for a new horse... stumbled across a small herd of these ones that were tan coloured with black markings on the legs/face, and the mane was white with black tips... truly a pretty cool horse.

I arrive at the ranch, looking to grab some sleep... and naturally, someone comes running up to me for help "blah blah blah, my horse is stolen, blah blah blah too wussy to do anything about it myself." No biggie, saved dozens of horses from thieves...

I ride out, spot the guy... and watch in horror as he and the stolen horse are suddenly mauled by cougars. The message "you failed to return the horse to its owner" didn't quite seem to fit. Naturally, the cougars aren't happy with the two corpses already at their feet and turn after me, one smacking my poor horse on the rump. However, the cougars didn't kill my horse: it tripping on its own feet and then tumbling down a hill while escaping their wratch did. Stupid horse.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally started screwing around with Multiplayer...

And I randomly found a Glock (called a High Powered Pistol).

It was quite the difference (and widow) maker. :D Shame I can't keep it until a much higher level.

Speaking of multiplayer... any interests in seeing if we can't "cheese" the "win three FFA matches in a row" achievement? It seems like it'll be next to impossible to get, given my PvP "skills", and is likely the only achievement in the game I can see myself actually struggling to get.

Funny how I paid for this game yet it OWNS me : )

Oddest things I have killed so far are Boar and a Snake. Haven't seen a bear yet.

How much money do yall have so far? I am up to 5k. From bounty's and mass slaying of animals I do pretty well cash wise.

I finished the story section of the game two or three days ago, and since then have been doing either multiplayer or unlocking achievements.

Multiplayer, IMO, is pretty badass. And shockingly I'm quite good at it, often getting the MVP award. I also got the 3/4 wins in a row achievement (the "Go Team" award), which is surprising for me because I don't even play X-Box that much and I've never, EVVVAAAAHH, beat my best friend in Gears of War in multiplayer. Not once, not one round.

Note for anyone trying to get the Barely Legal achievement: Bear hunting is F'N nerve-wrecking. I did mine up in Tall Trees, and discovered that area is the most legal in the entire game. Bears are extremely deadly, and won't think twice about sneaking up on you from behind and tearing you from your horse. Not only that, get this: In RDR Bears hate the smell of other dead bears. Kill one bear, and in 30 to 60 seconds another bear will appear to avenge the other's death. It's brutal and you've to be really on your toes.

My advice is to find an opening the forest to give yourself max visibility and to keep as quiet as possible as you might hear the bear coming. Also a horse is a good friend to you, as it'll neigh if a bear comes charging and will also outrun a bear if you see it in time. Also, make sure to use your dead eye or you'll fire enough shots in time to take the grizzly down. Good hunting!

Oh, one more thing, watch out for the cannibal that lives up in Tall trees, he'll invite you over nicely before pulling out a gun.

Edit: Also Comradebot, the high powered pistol is king in RDR. I wouldn't be seen dead without it in multiplayer and in single player despite my love of six shot revolvers I found myself winding up using it the most of all my guns. Basically it's a hand held machine gun and you're only going to last seconds in front of one. Lethal Lethal Lethal.

So...

I'm thinking the "Spurred To Victory" achievement is bugged for me :mad:

I've had the EXACT same horse since, to the best of my memory, at least one mission before the Assault on Fort Mercer (I recall using it to win the final race for West Dickens).

I've just done the first mission in Blackwater, never ever hitched a different horse. Still no achievement. All I can figure is either:

A. It's bugged

B. My horse randomly died at some point and was then randomly replaced with an identical looking horse

C. It seems to think I technically switched horses at some point, which goes back to A

The thing is, I sorta wanted to snag the American Standardbred when I got to West Elizabeth (since it would look badass with the suit, which I wear typically). Guess I'll keep using my two star horse and hoping the achievement pops for him. Gonna be super pissed if it just ends up dying, however. It's frustrating... I'd love to have the achievement simply because I SHOULD have it, and I'm not fond of the idea of starting a second game simply for it when I should have it from the first time around.

EDIT: Nevermind, it FINALLY popped (the achievement, that is).

I just recently bought the game for Xbox 360. At first I didn't think that I would like it because I am not really into westerns. This game is better than I expected and I can't stop playing it lol.

Anyway has anyone bought any of the horses from the general store. I was thinking about buying one but if there are better horses later in the game I don't want to waste money.

I just recently bought the game for Xbox 360. At first I didn't think that I would like it because I am not really into westerns. This game is better than I expected and I can't stop playing it lol.

Anyway has anyone bought any of the horses from the general store. I was thinking about buying one but if there are better horses later in the game I don't want to waste money.

Well, you can't buy the better horses until you break one in the wild, but yeah... in a sense, it can be worth it assuming you find yourself particularly fond of one breed of horse. If nothing else, should something happen your horse you can instantly use the deed to summon yourself a new horse rather than run around without one.

That, and honestly... money ain't too hard to come by if you half try to get it. So yeah, I think $500 is a solid investment for a two star horse. And yes, even if it gets killed after buying it you can use the deed infinitely to get another horse of the same breed.

And lastly... why three star horses ARE the best, they're hardly gamebreaking. I've been using the same Lusitano (at least that's what I think it is!) long enough to get the Spurred to Victory achievement, and it's only a two starrer. Can't say there's ever been a moment that's really hindered me.

That said, I do kinda still want an American Standardbred!

How does the downloadable Warhorse compare with the most expensive ones from the stores and the ones you break in the wild. I got the edition of the game that gives you the golden guns and the warhorse deed.

I wonder why the first game isn't available for download on Xbox Live would love to give that a play.

While the game is fun, it's far from perfect like so many people say it is. Controlling John is a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially when instead of leaving cover he decides to walk around the rock. Or when you're in between cars on a train and you try to turn around and he walks off the train instead.

It's not perfect, but hell, it's fun! My current favorite thing to do is wait for someone to go flying by on a horse then lasso them off the back. It's so fun :p

While the game is fun, it's far from perfect like so many people say it is. Controlling John is a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially when instead of leaving cover he decides to walk around the rock. Or when you're in between cars on a train and you try to turn around and he walks off the train instead.

It's not perfect, but hell, it's fun! My current favorite thing to do is wait for someone to go flying by on a horse then lasso them off the back. It's so fun :p

There is no such thing as a perfect game. RDR comes just about as close as, say, Zelda: Ocarina of Time (give or take).

In other words, it's simply amazing. I just hate knowing that I'm near the end of the story, and when that goes down... well... guess I could always play through again someday making Mr. Marston as big of a prick as possible, and multiplayer (which, really, they could've made doubly more awesome than it is) has a few charms to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got it for PS3 today for my birthday, can't wait to check it out. :)

It's really pretty awesome. I'm a bit sad that all I have left to do is earn achievements and finish up the last 1.3% until I hit 100%.

Eh, multiplayer is still super funs at times, and I can always play through the story a second time... maybe this time be a bigger jerk to people instead of the super goodie goodie guy I was last time.

I dont think super jerk will work well, cause he's still "good reformed family man" in the cut scenes.

You are basically playing a John Marston with a severe personality disorder.

That's how I play it. Why I felt okay when I shotgunned a poor woman in the head, as she was carried out of Thieves Landing. Totally unintentional, but not so heartbroken, as to rummage her body for coin. lol

That's how I play it. Why I felt okay when I shotgunned a poor woman in the head, as she was carried out of Thieves Landing. Totally unintentional, but not so heartbroken, as to rummage her body for coin. lol

I do this all the time. I don't think strangers like me. Hell, even the California stranger "accidently" got a face full of bullets.

I dont think super jerk will work well, cause he's still "good reformed family man" in the cut scenes.

You are basically playing a John Marston with a severe personality disorder.

You do get some different cut scenes when you're a jerk though, right?

I've played very little of RDR (my 42" plasma had to be sent off for repair a week after I got the game, and I don't want to waste it on a smaller screen :-p) but I remember some random guy asking me to go and talk to an old man about buying a deed for his property.

The old man agreed to sell, but I didn't have enough $$. I was given the option of killing him or raising the $$. When I killed him and returned the deed to the first guy, he complained that there was blood on the deed and paid me off, warning me that the old man had family who would be out for my blood.

I'm assuming things would have been different if I'd played nice and bought the deed...but we all know where nice guys finish... ;)

I've played very little of RDR (my 42" plasma had to be sent off for repair a week after I got the game, and I don't want to waste it on a smaller screen :-p) but I remember some random guy asking me to go and talk to an old man about buying a deed for his property.

The old man agreed to sell, but I didn't have enough $$. I was given the option of killing him or raising the $$. When I killed him and returned the deed to the first guy, he complained that there was blood on the deed and paid me off, warning me that the old man had family who would be out for my blood.

I'm assuming things would have been different if I'd played nice and bought the deed...but we all know where nice guys finish... ;)

I'm gonna say first?..................................

I did that but then killed the man I gave the deed to and took it for myself.

Got to say this is a great game and without spoiling anything the ending is very good in my opinion, simple but good storyline.

Archived