Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

I work for an affiliate, KPLR CW 11 out of St. Louis but that being said in July we send representatives to Burbank and then to L.A for screenings of upcoming television shows. We don't have any say in them but its so we can be better prepared for advertising and marketing in our areas. Usually its one to three episodes depending on if its viewed as our next big franchise (Vampire Diaries) or something we needed to put on to fill a slot (Nik...er I mean nothing we're not a filler kind of company :D )

I was upset that they took Reaper away as well as Privileged I thought both of those were home runs. Privileged moved to slow, had too little conflict and not enough strong, likeable female characters and Reaper didn't reach our desired audience the way we had hoped it would.

You know it took longer to type the explanation than it would have to type his full name? :confused:

You know what annoys me?

When people will use an acronym, then explain the acronym, and then not use the acronym again. You had to type it all the way out to explain it the one time you used it! That doesnt save time! Were you just trying to impress us with your abiility to identify the first letter of every word???

Okay, that has nothing to do with TV (television) so my apologies.

;)

I work for an affiliate, KPLR CW 11 out of St. Louis but that being said in July we send representatives to Burbank and then to L.A for screenings of upcoming television shows. We don't have any say in them but its so we can be better prepared for advertising and marketing in our areas. Usually its one to three episodes depending on if its viewed as our next big franchise (Vampire Diaries) or something we needed to put on to fill a slot (Nik...er I mean nothing we're not a filler kind of company :D )

I was upset that they took Reaper away as well as Privileged I thought both of those were home runs. Privileged moved to slow, had too little conflict and not enough strong, likeable female characters and Reaper didn't reach our desired audience the way we had hoped it would.

I loved reaper sok was my favorite

You know what annoys me?

When people will use an acronym, then explain the acronym, and then not use the acronym again. You had to type it all the way out to explain it the one time you used it! That doesnt save time! Were you just trying to impress us with your abiility to identify the first letter of every word???

;)

Yeah it did. It was Wheel of Fortune...seen on TV. :p

Go beat up C-bot like they did in American Gladiators. :D

Yeah it did. It was Wheel of Fortune...seen on TV. :p

Go beat up C-bot like they did in American Gladiators. :D

He's too far. Give me gas money.

It occurs to me that Reaper is the only decent show created after the UPN/WB merger.

And even its not that good.

Not to pick on you Sten.

Also, Smallville has been on the air for a million years.

Nice! I should've gotten a gig in television. I spend enough time worshipping it, it'd have been nice to be paid to do so. lol

I never understood Reaper's dismissal. I thought it had a good rating, considering the limited market that the CW has. And the notion that it was trying to be a more female based network never made sense, since they show Smallville. Unless it was purely economic. And when no one else picked it up, I cried a little.

Cried more when I read the wrap up that the creators did in an interview. Genius storyline, wish I'd gotten to see it play out.

You know what annoys me?

;)

JGMYSRALTLOAABYF!

[That's Jeez GruntMark, you should relax, and let the letters of an acroynm be your friend. Since it was point specific, though, I probably won't use it again. :p]

You have to remember that Smallville was a WB show. It was grandfathered in during the merger and since its maintained such a strong rating as well as having at last count three or four very strong female characters. We have kept it as long as we could. It gets put out of its misery after this year.

We're not the Women's Network or anything but we are network television and when you look around at 24, Lost, Law and Order, CSI and all these other shows there isn't enough programming out there for females. ABC does a fine job with Houswives, Grey's, etc but outside of them there just isn't that much female focused programming.

Some of our most successful shows both daytime and otherwise draw in a big female demographic. Instead of trying to fight the waters we just kind of go with it. That being said its not like we're the Oxygen channel there is certainly more than enough content on the network to appease male viewers.

That I understand, and this is merely a layman's point of view from the outside. And I tend to be a moron, so it's rarely a smart point of view. lol What I meant was, with the mindset that the greater female market was an untapped resource, plus the leanings towards younger viewers (90210 and Gossip Girl), that if Reaper was axed simply because it didn't fit that general direction, it baffled me. And you mentioning ABC is why I was baffled. Although they draw strong with Housewives and such, there's a strong variety, while CW seemed to be restricting towards the same basic target.

And like I said, I was under the impression the show did a strong rating, with the limitations the network faces, when poised against an ABC or a CBS. If it was just myself, Gator, BHK, and 3 guys in a dorm room in Iowa, then everything present in my confusion is moot.

But like I said, I'm a moron. If I ran a network, it'd very much mirror PTV. lol

Yeah I get that.

Actually, L&O and CSI always feel more gender neutral. The characters are so watered down, cookie cutter and interchangeable. Except CSI Miami, where they are just horrible and try to be actiony.

I have no problem with The CW seeing an opening and running with it. That still doesnt mean the programs they use to do it are actually any good. Resurrecting trashy FOX dramas...I mean, maybe that brings in the female viewers. Not really any of the females I know, but whatever...

Good TV has been done that is aimed at women. Sometimes even on the smaller networks, so its not like its impossible. Its too bad Veronica Mars never really took off, it fit that role perfectly.

How bout, The Gilmore Girls. Tell your bosses to try copying that instead of whatever FOX was doing in 1995.

I honestly don't the whole story on why they cancelled it but I know that ironically enough there was talks of keeping it on the CW in syndicated format. They were going to air the show during the affiliate programming so it would stay on the CW but would not be a CW television show. While this was going on three of the main characters including sok signed on for other roles. Sok would go on to be the CW show Sons of Tuscon that lasted officially for four to six episodes before being cancelled.

The biggest reason is they created Vampire Diaries and wanted to air that and as stupid as it sounds they only want so much sci fi stuff going on so its my guess they went with something that would reach that sci fi audience, it would reach the young audience AND it would garner more female viewers.Not to mention they wanted to get Kevin Williamson back involved with the network after his failed Hidden Palms series.

They were right about that as Vampire Diaries has been a HUGE hit for the CW it popped the biggest debut rating in the networks history hitting nearly six million viewers.

Sci Fi shows are tough on any of the networks and especially tough on the CW.

They did copy it, did you not see Privileged? :D

Then they clearly failed somewhere. Not enough cuteness? Bledel is crazy cute. :D

But seriously. It was a well written/acted show aimed at women.

Oh, and none of the were horribly negative sterotypes. At least from what Ive seen. Or had explained to me in incredible detail.

We're not the Women's Network or anything but we are network television and when you look around at 24, Lost, Law and Order, CSI and all these other shows there isn't enough programming out there for females.

I call BS on this. I've been under the impression for the last 10 years or so the vast majority of TV is for women and as has been said, things like CSI seem pretty gender neutral. In fact most cop shows to me look like they are leaning more towards women than men these days since they started being more about forensics than guns.

I liked it, and will probably watch it again as well. It had a good mix of comedy with some action.

I always thought Donal Logue was a lovable kind of guy. It also helps that his partner on the show is the actor who played Rene on the first season of True Blood who was one of my favorite characters...up until he was revealed to be the killer. Damn him! :mad:

I call BS on this. I've been under the impression for the last 10 years or so the vast majority of TV is for women and as has been said, things like CSI seem pretty gender neutral. In fact most cop shows to me look like they are leaning more towards women than men these days since they started being more about forensics than guns.

Advertising in general is for women (as they tend to do more shopping) but the truth is there isn't a lot of television outside of ABC that is female focused. Not to any large noticeable degree. I don't have any demographic numbers for shows outside of our network so I'm pretty much useless other than general speculation.