Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

So I was going through the channels tonight and I found a show about Cheerleading called Hellcats. Now normally I would never watch that garbage. However, the show had Ashley Tisdale walking around in a Cheerleading uniform for the entire show! Needless to say I had to watch the rest of the crappy show because....well because Ashley Tisdale in a Cheerleading uniform= a win for me!:D

So Boardwalk Empire debuts tomorrow night. Anyone else excited for it?

I'm not as excited for the new shows this fall as I was last year this time, but Boardwalk is getting a lot of hype. I'm on board for a few episodes regardless to see how it goes, but I'm more nay than yay. Scorsese isn't directly the whole thing, right? Just the first episode? I'm indifferent on Buscemi as a lead too. HBO seems to be hyping this quite a bit, and should be I guess, I'm not a fan of the stuff they have on now so maybe this will sway it. Since Deadwood/Wire went off the air...it's been three years of me skipping HBO.

Other new shows I'm watching out of the gate are...

Lonestar (Monday on FOX at 9)

Hawaii 5.0 (Monday on CBS at 10)

Running Wilde (Tuesday on NBC at 9:30)

All that with Chuck, Community, Fringe, Office, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Cougar Town...then It's Always Sunny and Terriers on right now that is good...there is a lot of TV to watch.

I'm not as excited for the new shows this fall as I was last year this time, but Boardwalk is getting a lot of hype. I'm on board for a few episodes regardless to see how it goes, but I'm more nay than yay. Scorsese isn't directly the whole thing, right? Just the first episode? I'm indifferent on Buscemi as a lead too. HBO seems to be hyping this quite a bit, and should be I guess, I'm not a fan of the stuff they have on now so maybe this will sway it. Since Deadwood/Wire went off the air...it's been three years of me skipping HBO.

Other new shows I'm watching out of the gate are...

Lonestar (Monday on FOX at 9)

Hawaii 5.0 (Monday on CBS at 10)

Running Wilde (Tuesday on NBC at 9:30)

All that with Chuck, Community, Fringe, Office, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Cougar Town...then It's Always Sunny and Terriers on right now that is good...there is a lot of TV to watch.

I got to agree that about the lack of excitement for new shows this fall. The only show I seem to have any hope for is Running Wilde. Though that is due to being a big Will Arnett fan and always finding Keri Russell to be just too damn cute.

I already have a new fall show I hate without seeing a single episode Outsourced. Add together commercials without one funny joke and it taking Parks and Recreations place until Midseason and you have one disappointed masterded. I mean Parks and Recreations is the second best show of a great 2-hour comedy block (Community>Parks and Recreations>The Office>30 Rock) and you pick it to be the midseason replacement.

I got to agree that about the lack of excitement for new shows this fall. The only show I seem to have any hope for is Running Wilde. Though that is due to being a big Will Arnett fan and always finding Keri Russell to be just too damn cute.

Yeah nothing besides Arnett and the Arrested Development gang have made me excited Wilde. It's the one I'm most excited for after Lonestar. Wilde hasn't got great reviews from the couple of guys I read but even if it falls flat it's nice to know there is a place I can see Arnett once a week if I want.

I already have a new fall show I hate without seeing a single episode Outsourced. Add together commercials without one funny joke and it taking Parks and Recreations place until Midseason and you have one disappointed masterded. I mean Parks and Recreations is the second best show of a great 2-hour comedy block (Community>Parks and Recreations>The Office>30 Rock) and you pick it to be the midseason replacement.

You could of said I typed this exact paragraph and I'd believe it...agree with everything here. Outsourced looks either racist or too lazy to be funny and therefore it looks racist. Jokes about turbans and diarrhea from foreign food and mules just aren't going to do it for me. It's a shame because it's adapted from a movie of the same name that was really solid, and this just doesn't seem to have pulled the heart and soul from the movie. Then Parks and Rec turned out to be great last year. I didn't like the first season but that along with Cougar Town are two shows that started as one thing and found their footing after figuring out what worked and what didn't. I even agree on the order you ranked the NBC comedies. I should of just typed 'agreed' and I would of saved myself some time here...haha.

Then Parks and Rec turned out to be great last year. I didn't like the first season but that along with Cougar Town are two shows that started as one thing and found their footing after figuring out what worked and what didn't.

As someone who also did not like Parks and Rec first season (though it had it's moments) and was happy he gave it a 2nd try I might have to start watching Cougar Town, I didn't care for the first 2 episodes and hate the name of the show. Though at least it wasn't as bad as Hank.

Speaking of ABC comedy night, I love Modern Family and like The Middle. Modern Family is just a great combination of perfect acting and perfect writing. The Middle is a show with a horrible lead character I just hate (the mom) yet its supporting characters range from okay (the oldest son) to awesome (Brick) and somehow it makes it a nice watch. Which I have to say is quite weird to watch a show hating the lead character.

Parks and Recreations is evil! It is the reason why My Name is Earl was taken off the air!:mad:

Watch Hellcats, an hour of Ashley Tisdale walking around in a Cheerleading uniform is awesome in my book.:D

Parks and Recreations is evil! It is the reason why My Name is Earl was taken off the air!:mad:

Watch Hellcats, an hour of Ashley Tisdale walking around in a Cheerleading uniform is awesome in my book.:D

My Name is Earl was taken off the air because it jumped the shark the moment Earl when to prison. Great show that just become stupid, stupid, stupid. :(

My Name is Earl was taken off the air because it jumped the shark the moment Earl when to prison. Great show that just become stupid, stupid, stupid. :(

Yes it did go down hill there, but that was not the reason. The main reason was because it was produced by Fox. Whereas, Parks is produced by NBC. Being an in house production Parks is cheaper to have on NBC than Earl was. Look at the ratings, Earl was pulling in better ratings. Parks has not even matched Earl. In the end it came down to money.

After they got back to it being about Earl and the list (so after his Billy left) it got good again. They also left it on a cliff hanger. Though I blame 30 Rock as it isn't as good as Parks and Rec.

As someone who also did not like Parks and Rec first season (though it had it's moments) and was happy he gave it a 2nd try I might have to start watching Cougar Town, I didn't care for the first 2 episodes and hate the name of the show. Though at least it wasn't as bad as Hank.

I read there was some effort by Bill Lawrence to try and change the name of Cougar Town to something like C-Town but ABC wasn't buying it. It's a horrible name and it has nothing to do with the show anymore. You could really call this 'Friends' now and it would be perfect...but I think that's taken...

And yeah, Hank was horrible. Kelsey Grammer is a guy I'd love to see with a TV show but his taste seems to be stuck in the 90's sitcom which doesn't translate well nowadays....

Stuff I watched last night without spoilers...

Chuck: It was good to see the gang back together. Chuck and Sarah being together without any triple agent getting in the way of their relationship is a positive. I don't think I could deal with more reasons why they couldn't date. There were a lot of cool cameos and good pop culture references as usual...but I've never been a Morgan fan and he's very much in the center of the episode. That along with Chuck's mom plot which was hinted at the end of last year...I'm just not very interested in. It looks like it's going to be the major arc of the season and I don't think I care about it. I'm going to watch Chuck til the end of the series, which might be this season, regardless but I hope another story or two pops up and we get more Casey and Captain Awesome.

Lone Star: I said before I was more excited for this show than any other and I did love it. Really well acted, it was an interesting story, and it's actually shot in Texas so the scenery doesn't look like Vancouver which adds to the realism. This was far and away the best thing I watched last night and I'm excited to see what they do because unlike most series, I can't even make a good guess of what will happen to Bob.

The Event: What is The Event? Do you know? Does anyone know? I'm convinced no one knows and we are just getting our chains jerked around. If Earth blew up on this show they'd cut away to aliens on Mars telling us the destruction of Earth is not The Event, but stay tuned, because maybe later we'll give you a clue about The Event.

Hawaii Five-0: Not a lot to say about this, I liked it more than Chuck or The Event last night but it's not a show I'm going to watch often. Hawaii is pretty, Scott Caan is funny, and lots of chicks in bathing suits.

Still haven't watched Boardwalk Empire, but it got a huge rating and HBO already renewed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hell yeah!

Just read Marvel and ABC are working on bringing The Incredible Hulk back to television and possibly other series among them Heroes for Hire and/or The Punisher.

I've long thought Punisher would rock as television series. Each show he could be going after a new criminal. Mix in the likes of Kingpin or Jigsaw from some overarching story lines each season and you got a show I'd tune in for each week. Although HBO, AMC, or Showtime would be a better home for it.

Heroes for Hire would have a ton of potential too.

Anybody see the start of the new series of Inbetweeners? I love that show.

I actually think the third series has been dire. Everyone I know that watches it has been less than impressed. The episodes revolve around something utterly ridiculous like Will getting so high he can't keep his arms down, or Will eating a bonsai tree or Simon's testicle hanging out for a gratuitous amount of time rather than the previous two series than meshed slapstick comedy with pithy and witty dialogue.

Simon struggles to get through an episode without screaming his head off. I used to enjoy his interactions with his parents, as they offered a different dynamic, forcing Simon to feel a bit awkward and they gave his Dad some great lines. Every single interaction with Simon's parents in this series has lead to Simon shouting and swearing at the top of his voice. At one time even climbing on top of the shed to sulk. What? yeah.

Will has managed to go from stuffy young boy put into a working class environment with hilarious consequences into a whiny little **** with nothing of worth to say.

The entire series feels like it's written by someone trying to write the Inbetweeners, rather than the actual writers of said show. Jokes have been recycled and the dialogue is very formulaic, I do feel the actors themselves have been given more license to improvise this series and that's why we're revisiting old jokes and creating non funny new ones. If anyone has watched The King is Dead, you'll see how painfully unfunny Simon Bird is.

The only thing good about this series has been Jay. Aswell as being the funniest, he's also the only one to have proper character development. The boys are beginning to realise he's a liar and are catching him out on things and doubting almost everything he says. This will ultimately lead to him genuinely performing a miracle, or saving someone's life etc and no-one believing him and that's all that's interesting in this series.

If you want a brilliant and consistently hilarious comedy show with witty dialogue, that often borders on the improvised: Peep Show series 7 starts in November.

• 2 weeks later...
Having watched plenty of both shows...

Modern Family owns It's Always Sunny, too.

Very well might be the best show on TV right now.

I saw one episode of Modern Family and I was not impressed at all. Not saying this to troll the topic, I just do not find that show funny.

Now It's Always Sunny is a great show, it is like a dirty version of Seinfeld.

A new show that I like a lot is Terriers. The characters on that show are great and it is very well written.

Shame. Caprica will not be picked up for a second season and the remaining episodes will be aired sometime in 2011.

Caught the movie and the first 3 episodes of the show but could never quite manage to catch it when it was on and was hoping to catch up when the full season was on dvd. Oh well.

Really don't know what Syfy has in development that will get better ratings tbh. It's not like the network is a ratings giant to begin with :rolleyes:

Shame. Caprica will not be picked up for a second season and the remaining episodes will be aired sometime in 2011.

Caught the movie and the first 3 episodes of the show but could never quite manage to catch it when it was on and was hoping to catch up when the full season was on dvd. Oh well.

Really don't know what Syfy has in development that will get better ratings tbh. It's not like the network is a ratings giant to begin with :rolleyes:

A shame, but not surprising.

Loved the concept. The execution and quality, especially over the last few episodes, was kind of a let down (given what they had started with).

Some questionable marketing choices too.

Blah.