The Official "You Should See This Movie" Thread

Huntman

Couple more I'll throw out there...

Battle Royale - Infamous Japanese film set in a theoretical near-future about the effects of rebellious and disrespectful youth on Japanese culture. In response to the moral downfall of the younger generations, Japan passes act that allows for a randomly selected class of school children to be placed on a remote island and forced to fight to the death once per year, in order to keep the kids in check. Controversial subject matter, but a very good film.

Great stuff but I much preferred the book.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Encino Man - Perhaps Pauly Shore's greatest film in a stellar career, this is the heartwrenching tale of a man's struggle, with the help of two ne'er do well highschoolers, to adjust to life in modern day California after being frozen since the last ice age. Poignant, touching, erotic. This film is a triumph!

"Stellar career." I liked Bio-Dome more...and In The Army Now!

Speaking of awful movies, Hide & Seek is awful...

I too enjoy my share of Adam Sandler films, but then, I have this weird loyalty to things and folks I enjoyed in my younger days, and that includes the SNL cast of the mid-90s. Never got around to seeing Little Nicky, but I watched Grown-Ups the other night and very much enjoyed that.

Also enjoyed Death At A Funeral.

Forrest Gump, Legends Of The Fall, Road To Perdition, The Last Samurai, The Wrestler, Terminator 2, and Field of Dreams are some of my all time favorites, (I know, I'm all over the map). I'm sort of helpless against Field of Dreams, it hits me right in the feelings like very few other films do.

Of newer movies, I like Funny People, The Road and the new Star Trek a lot also.

As for TV shows, I love House, (of course), Friday Night Lights, and Psych - matter of fact, I just picked up the complete fourth season of Psych today on DVD. I also loved the HBO mini-series Band Of Brothers - as it stands now, that's just about the only thing I've given a 10 over at IMDB.

Oh yeah, go watch Pee-Wee's Big Adventure too. You know you want to, it's on my all-time list.

:)

I too enjoy my share of Adam Sandler films, but then, I have this weird loyalty to things and folks I enjoyed in my younger days, and that includes the SNL cast of the mid-90s. Never got around to seeing Little Nicky, but I watched Grown-Ups the other night and very much enjoyed that.

Are you saying that you are a David Spade fan.:eek: Please tell me that is not true.:D

As for TV, there are a lot of good shows on BBC America that my fellow Americans might not know about but they are good shows. Such as Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars, Peep Show (I it not rated X but it does have very blue humor. It is kind of like Curb Your Enthusiasm on crack.), and Tourchwood.

Are you saying that you are a David Spade fan.:eek: Please tell me that is not true.:D

A fan? Dunno if I'd go that far. Like, I'm not sitting around waiting for the next David Spade masterpiece to hit my local theater or anything, but I don't mind him at all.

Now that you mention it though, I did kinda like his films with Chris Farley. Some of those were fun.

I very much like Adam Sandler and Chris Rock though. I watch most of their stuff, (though I've probably missed a few).

A fan? Dunno if I'd go that far. Like, I'm not sitting around waiting for the next David Spade masterpiece to hit my local theater or anything, but I don't mind him at all.

Now that you mention it though, I did kinda like his films with Chris Farley. Some of those were fun.

I very much like Adam Sandler and Chris Rock though. I watch most of their stuff, (though I've probably missed a few).

Yeah I agree on Chris Rock, he usually does good movies. I don't care what anyone says he was great in New Jack City and NJC was a good movie as well.

Like I said before Sandler's movies are hit and miss with me. Some I really like while others I really hate.

As for David Spade...well I guess as the old saying goes, "If you do not have something nice to say, don't say anything.".:D That being said I did find him less annoying in his movies with Chris Farley.

Tokyo Zombie: GM saw this about to come on the Sci-Fi network (before it was SyFy), so we recorded it... and watched it about a month later.

I'm not gonna say it's a good film, or even not utterly awful, but it has to be seen to be believed. It's a Japanese film, and was dubbed into English in the version we watched. The film includes the following:

A japanese pro-wrestler fighting zombies

A guy getting his penis bitten off by a zombie

The main characters randomly murdering their boss, cause he was a dick

A really, really, realy bad "bald" wig. Like, just awful.

The use of a trashpile at Mt. Fuji as a means for all of Tokyo to hide the bodies of the people they killed. Which, as it turns out, is alot. They just kinda stand around watching each other dump bodies

The use of martial arts as a legitimate means for fighting off the living dead

and, what makes the movie a must see to believe...

A man blasts a group of people with a gatling gun that fires, wait for it, urine. You didn't misread that, and I'll repeat it just to let is sink in: a man blasts a group of people with a gattling gun that fires urine. Which in itself begs many questions: Where do you get a gatling-pee gun? Why would anyone build a gatling-pee gun? For what purpose does a gatling-pee gun serve? Why did this guy take the time to push his gatling-gun into the building, did he forsee "NOW is the time to spray a bunch of people with urine!"? And, most importantly, where did he acquire the ammunition for said gatling-pee gun? I mean, it's a LOT of pee.

I liked Little Nicky.....

The wedding singer is one of my favoritest by him, with Happy Gilmore in second.

Wedding Singer rocks... though a big part of that being that it has Billy Idol in it.

Billy Idol rocks, and I'm proud to say I own his entire catalogue (well, not too proud to own his Cyberpunk album... but hey, it was $3)

Wedding Singer rocks... though a big part of that being that it has Billy Idol in it.

Billy Idol rocks, and I'm proud to say I own his entire catalogue (well, not too proud to own his Cyberpunk album... but hey, it was $3)

I remember seeing it in the movie theater and the moment Billy Idol came on the screen people went nuts. They popped for Billy Idol, I think the only other time I saw a crowd go that nuts cheering wise was when they re-released first Star Wars movie and the crowd went wild over the Death Star blowing up.

Is that the Eddie Murphy having lots of sex movie?

Yes and no. While yes, he did mack a lot of girls (that was the basis of his character), the lessons learned during the film (all that glitters, judging book by the cover, turnabout is fair play, right under your nose, etc) are what make me love it so much. Besides, I don't know a single guy who hasn't at some point in their lives wanted to be a guy like Marcus Graham.

Also: The Princess Bride, Gremlins, Barbarella, Coming to America, I'm Gon' Git You Sucka

Also: The Princess Bride, Gremlins, Barbarella, Coming to America, I'm Gon' Git You Sucka

You forgot Eddie's best movie ever: Golden Child.

That movie is just so great. It was on late at night on one of the HBO's a couple of months back so I decided to watch it (Even though I probably saw it a dozen times or so.) because it had been so long since I saw it. Anyway, I watched it and the movie is still great.

Man I miss Eddie Murphy, why did he have to start making crappy movies.

Oh and one must not forget the Eddie Murphy's RAW movie, which is probably some of the best stand-up that I have ever had the chance to watch.

Tokyo Zombie: GM saw this about to come on the Sci-Fi network (before it was SyFy), so we recorded it... and watched it about a month later.

I'm not gonna say it's a good film, or even not utterly awful, but it has to be seen to be believed. It's a Japanese film, and was dubbed into English in the version we watched. The film includes the following:

A japanese pro-wrestler fighting zombies

A guy getting his penis bitten off by a zombie

The main characters randomly murdering their boss, cause he was a dick

A really, really, realy bad "bald" wig. Like, just awful.

The use of a trashpile at Mt. Fuji as a means for all of Tokyo to hide the bodies of the people they killed. Which, as it turns out, is alot. They just kinda stand around watching each other dump bodies

The use of martial arts as a legitimate means for fighting off the living dead

and, what makes the movie a must see to believe...

A man blasts a group of people with a gatling gun that fires, wait for it, urine. You didn't misread that, and I'll repeat it just to let is sink in: a man blasts a group of people with a gattling gun that fires urine. Which in itself begs many questions: Where do you get a gatling-pee gun? Why would anyone build a gatling-pee gun? For what purpose does a gatling-pee gun serve? Why did this guy take the time to push his gatling-gun into the building, did he forsee "NOW is the time to spray a bunch of people with urine!"? And, most importantly, where did he acquire the ammunition for said gatling-pee gun? I mean, it's a LOT of pee.

And the answer to all those questions is....

...because it's JAPAN :-D

Robogeisha is another wonderfully odd Japanese film. Just bizzare. I'd link the trailer but I think it's probably not safe for work. It's all over Youtube for any fellow weirdo's who wanna check it out though :-p

And the answer to all those questions is....

...because it's JAPAN :-D

Robogeisha is another wonderfully odd Japanese film. Just bizzare. I'd link the trailer but I think it's probably not safe for work. It's all over Youtube for any fellow weirdo's who wanna check it out though :-p

If we are going to talk weird Japanese movies then I must contribute.

Funky Forest. Hands down one of the strangest things I have ever seen. Just flat out bizarre.

The Calimari Wrestler. It's about a giant squid that wrestles. What more do you need to know?

And of course Takeshi Kitano's sex comedy Getting Any is hilarious in a perverted Japanese slapstick Leslie Neilson kind of way.

I love Japanese films, they are not always good (although there are a lot of good ones) but I rarely see a boring or pedestrian one.

If we are going to talk weird Japanese movies then I must contribute.

Funky Forest. Hands down one of the strangest things I have ever seen. Just flat out bizarre.

The Calimari Wrestler. It's about a giant squid that wrestles. What more do you need to know?

And of course Takeshi Kitano's sex comedy Getting Any is hilarious in a perverted Japanese slapstick Leslie Neilson kind of way.

I love Japanese films, they are not always good (although there are a lot of good ones) but I rarely see a boring or pedestrian one.

add to my list for must see Japanese movies

Visitor Q, i love this film my A-Levels was based upon Miike Takashi's films and this one along with Ichi and Fudoh were my favorites (might have some spelling wrong as i'm not in my house looking at my dvd's)

Audition another Miike film this was totally different for me than watching a Miike film, after watching it i felt like i had seen something truly special and i think i was the only one as my mates hated it

not sure if this one is Japanese and not sure if the title is even correct The Eye, i'm sure its called that, really freaked me out and a creepy film

and finally Survive Style 5 awesome film

not a japanese film The Exorcist 3, its not a gory film or anything but to me this is what horror is slow burning, tense and even with horrible added scenes is still a must see film

I watched Let Me In for the first time yesterday, (picked up that DVD the other day along with that Complete Fourth Season of Psych I mentioned before). Love that it went back to the old-school vampire style from days gone by rather than the romanticized, 'cool' vampire that's popular nowadays.

Watched the new Karate Kid this morning. Was kind of against that one when I first heard about it, (one of those "HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES?!?!?!?!-responses you see a lot of, :o ), but I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it anyway. Thought Jackie Chan was great in it.

Great movie. Speaking of zombies movies.

Day of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead (originals) are absolutely amazing. 3 movies I could spend all day watching. Out of the 3, Night of the Living Dead is my favorite. Spectacular stuff really.

Return of the Living Dead Part II is a comedy, part of a series if you can't tell. It is my favorite of the 5, but I recently re-watched it. It is really awful, but I enjoy the hell out of it. Part 2 is really the only one I like. Part 1 is good, the rest of God awful if I recall. Really, I've only seen 1-3. 3 was awful, so 4 and 5 are too.

Dawn of the Dead (along with Ghostbusters) has been my favorite movie for 18 years now (starting when I was 6). It is so much more then just a zombie movie and works on multiple levels.

Return of the Living Dead Part 3 is one of the worst zombie movies I have ever seen. Romero and Juliet with zombies talk about a bad idea.

I very much want to see Inception. No idea why I haven't gotten around to that one yet.

Finally watched it last night. Amazing movie, watch it ASAP.

Watched The Adjustment Bureau tonight. Interesting plot, not as much action as I had hoped. Good thinking movie. Not as much as Inception, but still...

Anyone here a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 or the RiffTrax commentaries that those guys do now? If you answered "yes" to either of those or you just want to see a movie that's so bad that it's funny...go Google the movie "Birdemic: Shock and Terror". You can watch the entire movie online, just search for it. Absolutely worst movie ever made. Acting, plot, editing, special effects...everyone MUST go see it. RiffTrax led Me to it.

It will be a movie you'll never forget.

Anyone here a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 or the RiffTrax commentaries that those guys do now? If you answered "yes" to either of those or you just want to see a movie that's so bad that it's funny...go Google the movie "Birdemic: Shock and Terror". You can watch the entire movie online, just search for it. Absolutely worst movie ever made. Acting, plot, editing, special effects...everyone MUST go see it. RiffTrax led Me to it.

Really? Worst ever? Worse than MANOS? Worse than Gigli? Worse than The Room?

Archived