Let's Play NYCW 101: A Guided Tour of TEW2010

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest codey
I will say this, if you want to keep Greg, pushing him is a bad idea. A very bad one. Especially at small. The best role for him if he stands any chance of staying on your roster is jobber that boosts your low card matches and trains up your worse workers.

I will say this, if you want to keep Greg, pushing him is a bad idea. A very bad one. Especially at small. The best role for him if he stands any chance of staying on your roster is jobber that boosts your low card matches and trains up your worse workers.

Yeah, I just won't try to keep him. My attempts probably wouldn't be that successful, and I'd rather have a guy for 3 days than 3 months. I don't want to start investing and have him get taken (which he will, based on my luck). He should get in the HoI, and I'm not going to be the one to stop him.

And yes, both the Keiths have 70s face skills. We'll see if I need him to play the face or not.

A note: if you're a Roger Cage fan, might not want to watch the first show. Aside from the fact that he'll be gone, most likely, I'm going to job his ass *so hard*.

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/19402180019.jpg

Blank blank is blank.

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/19402192866.jpg

This is rare. GCG ran their first show and didn't hit Cult!

Uh...round rounding is round?

Okay, I had to drop Joey Beauchamp. He wanted 700 (or maybe more). He's a good worker, a touch old for 66 psychology in my eyes (granted, that's still awesome for a Small company), but he has 0 popularity here. Can't work with that.

Matthew Keith came for 700, but he wanted a Low-Level title run. *shrug* He'll get a mid-level one.

Kirk Jameson was a tough one. He'd come for 700. He has popularity of 20 across the US. But...nah, not worth it yet.

ALWAYS SHORTLIST KIRK JAMESON. He's a decent talent, but here's what's great: 23 (young) and 94 STAR QUALITY. That's absurd. Para...noia also has very nice SQ but he sucks (but is cheap, so...)

BBS (AmPat) came for 700. Ordinarily I wouldn't have bitten, but I love the guy. He has 62 psych, though, which means...he must have grown in my MAW game...

Cameron Vessey got aboard for 600. Not bad, solid performance, hopefully his top row grows a bit.

Citizen X got hired for 700. I...I don't know why I bit. Good aerial (flashiness), very nice entertainment, and good performance skills (psychology...grr...). I think it's the entertainment. Solid upper-midcarder to talk to Flash.

Hugh De Aske is aboard (LAWL) for 600. Great, great prospect. 21, Belgian (omnomnomwaffles), and a fantastic all-rounder. Psych sucks (well, not totally, but no call-in-ring), but...HE'S 21. If he gets a good destiny (not in my NOTBPW game, sadly), sky's the limit. SKY PIRATE BALTHIER oh god I'm re-naming him and I need a cut request.

Oh god.

Davis Wayne Newton for $250. He's awesome, freaking awesome. For 250. But wait, you say, what about those travel expenses I'm paying?

Typically, when a worker has a contract for you, the next time you negotiate with them they won't ask for travel. If they do, bumping it up a pay grade usually makes it disappear. In the thousands, though, eat the travel costs, as it's probably cheaper (click to the right of the travel cost area).

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/19801550533.jpg

WAIT A SECOND I'M EMPLOYING HIS FATHER!

As for Roger Cage, he leaves in 7 days.

My show is in 6.

GUESS WHO'S GOING TO LOSE A LOT!

~~

Regular Joe came on for 400.

Angel de Mexico (stupid ascii codes) came on for 500+travel.

~~

FEEDBACK TIME:

I suppose this is more accurately a pointless poll, but who would you like to see Cage (attempt to) elevate? Shark's an obvious choice, but...

I want replies :'(

Note: I always get CamVes and CasVal mixed up. Always.

I also traded Waldorf and Statler for one appearance (oops) to MAW for Valentine and Starr. I wanted both of them (I think), so I guess this will be a trial to see if they're any good and/or have chemistry with anyone.

As for why I picked the Ring Generals, Statler is a solid prospect (or was it Waldorf...), and I want the team to improve together. Yeah, they won't be used in a tag match (probably), but it's improvement for them.

Just finished catching up. There is one thing I'd like to mention. In terms of tag teams, BAD chemistry in time that can be cancelled out by GOOD experience (can't for the life of me remember how much tag experience exactly. I want to say 60). Which also makes me want to question the good chemistry+high experience super bonus fun times.

Other then that Cage should job to De Aske, or Spike, or both.

Just finished catching up. There is one thing I'd like to mention. In terms of tag teams, BAD chemistry in time that can be cancelled out by GOOD experience (can't for the life of me remember how much tag experience exactly. I want to say 60). Which also makes me want to question the good chemistry+high experience super bonus fun times.

Other then that Cage should job to De Aske, or Spike, or both.

I just don't like working uphill.

I've also noticed that announcer chemistry doesn't always occur, which sucks. I think the other chemistries always happen.

Which makes Dark Angel (managed by Steve DeColt) an amazing asset. Since he has Awesome managerial chemistry.

...Maybe it only occurs when the match rating i lower than...something...

De Aske or Spike? I'm considering purposely getting the "Used Cage too much" note and having him job to everyone. Those two are decent, though.

Don't have the show yet, but a few thoughts:

'Shingekazu' (Shingen Miyazaki and Hidekazu, brought to fame in Phantom Stranger's diary) have positive chemistry and tag experience now. This makes me very happy. Raven Robinson and Joanne Rodriguez (or whoever "Dream Team" is) have the same thing. That makes them valuable.

Too bad my NOTBPW game is screwed up like heck and I...I dunno. I couldn't get Troy Tornado :'(

Thoughts, right:

-Planning. This game is not a strategy game. It's a planning game. The more you plan, the better (to an extent) you will do. The same is true for making/giving speeches. One has to plan what one will say, to what audience, what pacing, time, etc.

That doesn't mean I suggest someone advance book their whole show. You can, of course, but...I don't like to. I might play better if I did that, but...it's not necessary. What I should do is plan out what I intend to do with people. Shooter Sean Deeley? I want to push him. A way to do that is have him dominate Jack Avatar. Avatar can gain back the popularity easily, so this gives Deeley a nice boost.

Now I also need to re-sign Dan Stone Jr. So why not have Deeley beat Stone? Problem: Stone Jr. doesn't want to lose. So I think, am I willing to pay Stone Jr. to keep him happy? Low likelihood of negative personality changes since he's fairly old. So that works.

If I continued from there for, say, all my main eventers, I'd probably do a lot better. If I'd pay attention to what matches I book, I wouldn't have to worry about the repetitive match penalty.

So as a baseline suggestion: Advance book and plan out your next main event. Getting the co-main in there and any title matches wouldn't be a bad idea, but don't nail yourself down.

Say that the heel challengers for the tag titles have good chemistry. Well, maybe they win their next shot. Steve Flash who works for NYCW, FCW, and...PSW gets injured day before the show. Replacement? Jack Avatar fits well. What about Black Hat Bailey? Uh...maybe Gauge or Keith, then. Don't have a contingency plan yet.

Plan the basics, and go more in-depth as you understand the roster. Need to win a regional/national battle? Now's the time to fill your card with chemistry (and, potentially, headline a 2v2v2v2 match, which has the potential to get ridiculous boni.)

And when everyone has negative chemistry against Steve Flash? Ragereset.

Full roster with talent trades:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/20500023221.jpg

Main screen:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/20500075812.jpg

Huh, Nigel Svensson was fired? And Rhys Vali, Gob Narfi,...ah, John Michael Sharp and Martin Heath.

I call this the "Unofficial ROF Firing Spree Narrative". Narratives are coded into the database editor to happen at a specific time and do something. Kill the American Economy, Randomly change a worker's personality, boost the hell out of a promotion's prestige...whatever. With the look-don't-touch approach you can see all the possible effects of a narrative.

This isn't one. Yet, for some reason, it happens EVERY GAME. Same five guys.

Ordinarily I'd pick up Svensson. As you could guess from him having a picture, he's probably the best of the group. Vali and Narfi have a decent tag team (work in UK only), while Heath and Sharp are slightly worse as a team but better overall workers.

But THIS IS NYCW (not MAW as I keep thinking)!!!1

Now then, things to do:

-Make a/some storylines.

-Advance book some matches.

-BURY ROGER CAGE (and possibly injure him. No lol I'm not that vindictive.

<_______________________________________<)

P.S. Some people won't re-run their shows if this happens.

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/20500114448.jpg

I'm of the opinion that you should. Well, can, I guess. I generally do. If I put an awesome match as the co-main (or opener, or whatever), I'm fine with re-running it with that match as the main event. I won't do that in this diary, but I will if I accidentally misplaced, say, JOHNNY MOTHER****ING BLOODSTONE VERSUS SEAN ****ING MCFLY.

Fun fact: as far as in-ring performance is concerned, Sean McFly is inarguably in the top three wrestlers in the world. Very, very strong contender for #1.

Predictions:

Jack Avatar vs. Roger Cage

Whistler and American Patriot vs. Honest Frank and Davis Wayne Newton

(The Americans vs. Sock'em in the Crotch Express)

Marv Statler and Dean Waldorf © vs. Rick Sanders and The Masked Mauler

(The Ring Generals vs. Old School Principals)

Black Hat Bailey© vs. Steve Flash

Will Roger Cage be injured?

My format:

Winner vs. Loser

Winning Team Pinner vs. Losing Team Loser

Edit: forgot my predictions.

Jack Avatar vs. Roger Cage

BARRY. ALL.

Whistler and American Patriot vs. Honest Frank and Davis Wayne Newton

(The Americans vs. Sock'em in the Crotch Express)

This early into the feud/story probably isn't going to have a clean Whistler or Frank fall. That said, Whistler has 40 POPULARITY and I don't remember him being on the roster. So his team can't lose. That leaves Whistler to win (because AmPat probably shouldn't) and DWN to take the fall.

What'd be interesting, though, is Frank DQing himself.

Marv Statler and Dean Waldorf © vs. Rick Sanders and The Masked Mauler

(The Ring Generals vs. Old School Principals)

I think Statler's the one with more potential. Can't remember. Anyway, Sanders is a solid wrestler in his own right, where Mauler...I think he's decent too, come to think of it...this will probably be clean. Generals will have some more matches, but until they age a bit, I doubt they'll find the titles again. Or, they'll fluke it out, dunno.

Black Hat Bailey© vs. Steve Flash

I just realized that I swapped the italics and bolding from my format. Oh well.

I want Flash to win. Badly. Only problem is that the other championship match is already having a change (in my predictions). So I can't have both switch hands. The good part is that this allows people like Avatar (lol), uh...huh. I should probably know the roster better.

Well, the roster overview is on page four, by the way. That was fun. The problem in this promotion (ignoring my new guys) is that...I don't have a lot of talent. BHB can match up with any face, sure, but...who? Whistler? Yeah, since he's in another feud. There's Flash, Avatar...I'm screwed. Even with Flash, I have crap on the heel side. *sigh*

Will Roger Cage be injured?

Sadly, no. I'd have to use him the whole two hours, putting him in highly dangerous matches (and skewing the match bar thing I'll show later to 100%) and angles with a high degree of injury. Even then...

I used Knuckles, Shady K, Kid Toma, and Rhino Umage for four hours, 40 minutes one show. That'd be a full four-hour event + pre and post show. All tag matches. Granted, they were the normal tag matches, lower danger, and my injury frequency was at 0. Still, all that happened was 80%+ fatigue on them. Maybe, maybe I can force an injury, but that would be at the expense of the company. Given that this is supposed to teach guys the basics of the game, that's outside the scope of this experiment.

*edits Cage's Resilience and Toughness to 0*

I've caught up (all 7 pages) and I approve heavily of this thread. I've been playing through this game since it came out and I've read through the help file numerous times, I still have no clue about 80% of the features. Maybe I'm slow...but now I have a better understanding for just about everything you've gone over.

So, while educational, it is humorous, and I'm a big fan of the writing style. Keep this going and get Steve DeColt.

<p>I think you mean Alex, not Steve. I have Steve. Alex is the head booker and probably won't be easy to get.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Well, unless you mean in <em>this</em> game. In which case you are absolutely insane. That's never going to happen. He's also not old enough for the roster >______></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

For everyone else: Third page makes me cry. I added like...3 posts!</p>

The show: where I learn I didn't save something wayyyyy back on page one or two

With exactly 0 predictions, I move onward!!!1

~~

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21202405425.jpg

Ah, home page for the evening. You'll note in the upper-right that I have a backstage atmosphere of 73.7% I'm not sure if that's enough for a penalty; it might be 80% that is the dividing point. Regardless, it is always good to get this to 100% as soon as possible. Now remember, I had a list of things to do, right?

1. Make your roster.

2. Blah blah blah titles.

3. Backstage atmosphere.

So I'm not saying that you should hire, say...Rolling Johnny Stones for his backstage influence. He's a decent worker, but at a global or national setting, he's not going to do very well. he works in the UK, btw.

I see that Brett Starr and Fern Hathaway are very negative influences. I would like to get rid of them; Brett's a loaner, though, so he'll leave after tonight. Fren? She's a manager. If I actually cared (you'll see why I won't in a second; vets, yes, I somehow did something idiotic) about it, I'd fire her. Plenty of decent managers/use Jack Avatar as a manager for everyone.

What would save Fern? Positive managerial chemsitry. That definitely makes up for a poor backstage attitude. Same with Jay Chord and his cancerous attitude; he's that good a worker.

Speaking of good workers, Davis Wayne Newton is an extremely positive influence. That makes him one of the best rookies in the game. Not only is he talented (talented like Wolf Hawkins is, not like the Keiths or someone. He's better than CamVes and the like), but he's a pleasure backstage. He's actually the best influence next to The Masked Mauler (an ideal veteran; he won't mind jobbing) and Steve Flash (a locker room leader).

I have one positive relationship between CamVes and LarVes. Good. NOTBPW and CGC have like...four or five of these at the start, which really helps the atmosphere. Friendships, divorces, etc. all go here. So it's worth it, possibly, to pick up a set of brothers (and team them :D) even if they suck. Especially if they're a 100 experience tag team (Luna Clara and Luna Oscura, hint hint).

My lack of leadership skills...extremely harmful?

Wait a second, there's no way I have poor leadership skills! i set it to five!

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21202513953.jpg

I'm going to check that this is the right save (it is). So...

Rule #1: Set your talents. Which I know I went over...

On the plus side, I can save and tell you exactly how much each point matters.

0 = 73.7

1 = 74.7

2 = 75.7

3 = 76.7

4 = 81.7 (no note about my leadership skills. So...is four the minimum needed? That's actually, potentially...mildly useful. A 6 in negotiating or whatever would be nice...)

5 = 81.7 (the 'neutral' amount. DAMMIT THE GAME IS GIPPING ME THE F)

6 = 81.7 (OH COME ON YOU ****ING GAME WHAT THE HELL. If this holds true for all locker room sizes and personalities, I'm gonna be piiiiiissed...)

7 = 86.7 ("helpful" leadership skills. Given that I'm going by the assumption that 80 is the cut-off for negative morale, this is nice, but redundant.)

8 = 87.7

9 = 88.7 ("very" helpful)

10 = 89.7 ("extremely" helpful)

I'm going to set everything to five now. And punch myself; those people that were on the border of being hired? HEY I WONDER WHY NEGOTIATIONS FELL THROUGH. Dammit.

Point is: it looks like the jump to four is significant. 5 points from one more talent, and overall a jump of 8 points. 4-6 talents were, for me, useless. Maybe later I'll test with SWF. From 6 to 7, though, there's another 5 point jump. Again, useful (we're up to 10 points from 0 talent).

Leadership is a useful talent; you can help yourself get bonuses due to backstage morale or keep yourself from getting penalties (which is, effectively, a bonus). If you want to game the system, put in the minimum motivation to erase the harmful message due to your lack of leadership. That will be a five point jump and well worth the talent. Putting in 7? Flavor to taste, yes, but if you're going above five, hit 7 over 6. The sixth point is negligible. 10 talents? Eh, not so useful here. Yeah, a one point each for 3 more than at 7, but...at the start, that kills negotiation (or something).

Edit: The trend noted above holds true for International, default SWF.

That is, the effect of adding a point into the talent increases the backstage atmosphere by [0], 1, 1, 1, 5, 0, 0, 5, 1, 1, 1, respectively.

Well that's entirely asinine. 4 points is just as good as 6? No change, in neither NYCW nor SWF, from 4 to 6? That's...that has to be an oversight. Maybe I don't have the most recent version? This would attest that I do, however:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21203183120.jpg

(Fun fact: my laptop's graphic's card is on the fritz, so I saw that picture but with a hell of a lot more pink and yellow than my screen, apparently, did.

Oh, and if you can't see what's weird, look in the top left.)

Therefore:

UNTIL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY, I SUGGEST THAT YOU PUT FOUR, NOT FIVE, POINTS INTO LEADERSHIP UPON AVATAR CREATION.

What to make 6? Eh, go with negotiation I guess. Or motivation; that will keep people from having off-nights as much.

~~

Plan:

Next post will cover, briefly, "My Promotion" (little has changed; one important thing, however, has) and "The World" (Not much to say, but will talk about what venue to choose).

Next post (second after this one) will talk about all the fun buttons on the booking screen, excepting the match and angle buttons.

NEXT post: matches (and I book one)

NEXT POST DEAR GOD: angles (and I book one)

Fifth post: I show the show in the booking screen, then run it, showing you all the fun things that happen. Then an after-show note. Then, if/when I suck at making things in the right order, I'll show the actual after-show screen.

Sixth post: Re-post the show for those who just want to look at that picture. Will then talk about the segments, why I did what I did, balalalala.

Seventh post: Uh...I negotiate witht he guys that hated me, and...yeah, wait until next month?

Let's say you forget the estimated match times for an event (or TV show). Or, perhaps, you've forgotten the match ratio. Kind of an issue given that it's the show, right? Well, if you hit the "Product" button on the promotion screen, this is what you get:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21401144942.jpg

It doesn't tell you about gimmicks, TV slots, and all that other fun stuff. It does, however, give you the information I noted above. By the way, loving the low match danger; less chance of an injury (intensity, however, can still make people tired).

Click over to that globe button, now called "Venue Selection":

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21401150848.jpg

The Venue selection automatically selects your home region (I think). It is not necessarily the one with most popularity, nor is it necessarily the place that will get you the most people. At Local-Regional? Sure. Once you hit Cult, though, the place you expanded to might be a bit better. The higher the importance (affluence, actually, but the two tend to be similar), the more people will come to see the show.

So I'm in the Tri-State, with an estimated 366 people to attend. I'll hope I'm lucky and say I'm going to pull 400 in. I probably could if the industry/economy didn't suck, but anyway...

Where should I run? There's a 300-seat venue and a 1,000-seat venue in the Tri-State (and others, but close to my size...).

Obviously, I choose the 300. But when should I move up to the 1,000? Good question.

HEY DHR. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR ATTENDANCE AND TICKET REVENUE.

The easy way? Check your letter popularity, check your ticket prices, then do the math. Problem? I can't change to letters during a show. *cry*

Let's say it's...$3 for an event ticket. I think I have F, not F- popularity here. So I'm 'guaranteed' 300 people at $3, for $900 gross. At $200 to rent, then, the 300-seat-venue nets me $700.

Currently, if I pulled 400 people at the 1k venue, that's $1,200 gross. But the venue costs 1k to rent, so that puts me at $200 net.

If I can gain $500 from attendance, I should switch (to try to get a few more people). That happens hopefully at F+ pop (to make the math easier): $500, with $4 per ticket at F+, means I'd need 100 more people.

So when my estimated attendance is 500, I should move up. I believe the trend is once you reach half the attendance of the venue, move to the venue. I think.

Oh, and if I had my own venue, I'd use it. 1. It costs less to rent. 2. It's a hotbed, so I'd easily pull 500 people at my level. 3. Hopefully I'm not an idiot and it's at a size where I can best utilize it (for example, having a 500-seat venue at my size wouldn't be too bad; I might hit a sellout. Similarly, 15k or 20k seating is a common estimation, and certain areas don't have that. So build a venue).

However, venues cost a lot of money. So no.

~

And that's the "next post".

Now for the most time-intensive screen in the game.

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21601204220.jpg

"Booking not yet complete": When the booking is complete, this will turn green (and say complete, I think. Or go, or something. I'll show it later). You have to hit this to run the show. Important, but...that's it.

~

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/8/21601222871.jpg

"Analysis": While one can run the show while there's problems (that is, stuff like what's at the top), it's a bad idea. I've advanced booked 4 matches, so analysis is telling me that I need to book those matches (or get a show penalty).

Below that is a list of the active roster. It auto-sorts by name, but push, alignment, and momentum can also be used (I prefer push and momentum when I sort). Angeringly, "Last Used" cannot be sorted.

This part is important because it shows you who is currently not booked and when the last time they were used was. If you don't want people pissed, keep note of that. Any main eventers I don't use this show should be used in February.

Below that is some yellow text that I typically ignore (yet I probably should not). Book the show. Take note of that yellow number. Check your profits for the month. Next show? If you need to make money, drop the yellow number (use fewer/cheaper workers). So it's a good thing to keep in one's mind, but I don't find it crucial. Hopefully that changes.

~

Roster, Roster Overview, Titles, Teams, Stables, Storylines, Advance Booking, and History are all the same as before. That history button, though...keep track of your main events and try not to repeat them. I like that it's on this page so I can easily check a storyline or something.

~

Import Data: NO. Not right now. That's not for beginners (not that it's complicated, I guess...). And it's un-needed in this save. If you want something from another database, you can import it into this one (like gimmicks, workers, angles, blah blah blah).

Angle Writer: ALSO NO. I just use the Clone Angle button m'self, anyway. I won't cover this unless I need to since I feel the default angles are fine. If you want to tinker around here...just use the "Clone Angle" button and check that out. It will help your understanding more quickly.

~

And that's it. I assume the "Brands" button is for if I want the brands to be on or off for a show. I have no brands, so...>_>

Next post is angles (I think) or matches. Yay...

Archived