Sony's "Please Stop Hating Us" Offerings

mjdgoldeneye

Sony's "Welcome Back" program following the hacker situation involves the following free stuff:

2 PS3 games from this list:

- InFAMOUS

- LittleBigPlanet

- Dead Nation

- Super Stardust HD

- WipEout HD Bundle

2 PSP games from this list:

- LittleBigPlanet

- Killzone: Liberation

- ModNation Racers

- Pursuit Force

30 Days of PlayStation Plus

100 Virtual Items in PlayStation Home

-----

What do you think? Most people won't be swayed one way or the other, I expect. It's really just an apology, not an attempt at just reparations.

There's also a very shallow marketing angle here. The 2 "big" games on the list (LBP and InFAMOUS) are sort of old now, so many users have them. Those that don't will likely enjoy them and that will sell copies of the recently released sequels.

Few people (relatively speaking) still use their PSP's regularly, the PlayStation Plus thing is just like any other luring trial period to hopefully sell subscriptions, and there's probably one or two guys in Iceland who still use PlayStation Home.

I'm really happy that I get InFAMOUS and LBP for free (I only have a few PS3 games), but I wasn't all that mad in the first place. I always expect the worst when it comes to network security because I know that it's mostly a bluffing game when it comes to big companies. It's a pyramid of people pretending like they know what they're doing. Plus, I suspect the infiltrators are the sort who get their satisfaction from proving they hold the reins, not exploiting personal information criminally. They're a Chaotic Neutral bunch. (Reminds me of this xkcd.)

The downtime didn't really bother me as i dont really play online much. Worst thing was waiting for it to come back up to use my LA Noire DLC code.

List of games isn't really anything amazing but i have picked up InFamous & Dead Nation of PS3 and Little Big Planet & Pursuit Force on PSP. I also setup the Playstation Plus and got Streets Of Rage 2 & Magic: The Gathering for free as well however im not continuing the sub when the free trial runs out.

The way i look at it, is that it was a free service that went down (unless your a + fool) and unless the stolen details are used in some way, im quids in

Speaking of things being old, there is no more Chaotic Neutral in current D&D.

That said...how do I get this free stuffs?

4th Edition of D&D doesn't count. 3.5/Pathfinder is where it's at.

I think you just log on...? They sent me an email.

on ps3 downloading

Wipeout & Ratchet & Clank (Quest for Booty)

on psp downloading

LBP & either modnation or killzone

Can you get Ratchet & Clank too? I have to consider that as an option if so. I never played any of those games, but I know they're good.

I will become a Sony fan if they send me a free PS3.

Since MJD seems to be in the know, he is now in charge of handling this for me.

And I will hold him responsible if I dont recieve a PS3.

But! I don't... I don't even... :eek::(

I honestly looked at the list and thought « well, those games didn't interest me 3-5 years ago, why would they interest me now ? » Well, except InFamous which was fun. There's also a couple of 3-5 years old movies I can rent for free on the list which are meh at best. (Clik ? Seriously ?).

I might have to check around Playstation Plus though. I'm not sure what's in with that, so just meddling around might do it.

What the heck is Playstation Home ? I feel like a dinosaur, I don't even know what's that.

I honestly looked at the list and thought « well, those games didn't interest me 3-5 years ago, why would they interest me now ? » Well, except InFamous which was fun. There's also a couple of 3-5 years old movies I can rent for free on the list which are meh at best. (Clik ? Seriously ?).

I might have to check around Playstation Plus though. I'm not sure what's in with that, so just meddling around might do it.

What the heck is Playstation Home ? I feel like a dinosaur, I don't even know what's that.

Playstation Home is an online social networking thing where you have a little avatar and walk through a virtual world. go check it out sometime, it's free.

Pretty much expected a list of throwaway games, kind of like how some consoles get 1 or 2 crap games thrown in for free when you buy them.

Not sticking up for Sony here in any way, but SOMEONE could want some of these games. Someone who liked them but couldn't afford to get them when they were out and never got around to getting them when they dropped to like $2 a piece.

Pretty much expected a list of throwaway games, kind of like how some consoles get 1 or 2 crap games thrown in for free when you buy them.

Not sticking up for Sony here in any way, but SOMEONE could want some of these games. Someone who liked them but couldn't afford to get them when they were out and never got around to getting them when they dropped to like $2 a piece.

These games aren't throwaways.

Metacritic ratings:

LittleBigPlanet - 95

WipEout HD - 87

inFamous - 85

Super Stardust HD - 85

Dead Nation - 77

I mean, inFamous and LBP are flagship titles.

What does being a plus member allow you to do that you couldn't before? Can you get old PS games for free? If so I want to DL Final Fantasy 7.

gives you discounts on things, hour long full game trials, occasional DLC add on for free, and the occasional old game for free. nothing special.

I'm actually buying an Xbox in the next month, not just because of the hack thing but because Sony has dissapointed me so much. They waste soooo much time and resources on meaninglesss stuff.

-PSP and NGP? Who cares. I have a PS3, how about focusing on that? The hand held battles were consistently won by Gameboy for years now everyone has smart phones, why carry around a handheld game system when I can use my IPhone? Old way of thinking.

- Home, its stupid and uselss and another way to try to rip you off while advertising you. I've given it a try on a few occassions and thought it was dumb and no one I know uses it either.

-Move. This is a big piss off for me. I bought the move after trying it and loved it, the sports champions game is fun and my gf and I like playing together on it. however...WHERE ARE THE GAMES FOR IT! Serious WTF? No games have been coming out that use it, they try to sell Killzone and SOCOM on it but then you have to buy the gun to have any fun with it and it just becomes a cheapened acrade shooter game.

Meanwhile XBOX Kinect is blowing up and they are doing more and more with it and with major games as shown at E3. Plus the continue to add stuff and enhance their online social play while PS3 does nothing.

I supported Sony and PS3 for such a long time but now I'm probaby just going to use it for PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 3 later this year and thats it. Xbox just keeps growing while PS3 is stagnent.

In regards to the Welcome Back package, I thought it was cool since they didn't have to give us anything until I realized what a slap in the face it is and how its just a giant advertising campaign.

"Hey Infamous 2 is coming out! We know you may not buy it so here's the first one FREE! Then hopefully you'll like it and buy the second one! Same with LBP 2! Oh you are already have those games? then heres some old cheap PSN downloads for you"

"You weren't dumb enough to buy Plus before? Hmmm, heres 30 days free! Then since you content expires with your 30 days hopefully you will renew giving us more money! Genius!"

Sony's "Welcome Back" program following the hacker situation involves the following free stuff:

2 PS3 games from this list:

- InFAMOUS

- LittleBigPlanet

- Dead Nation

- Super Stardust HD

- WipEout HD Bundle

2 PSP games from this list:

- LittleBigPlanet

- Killzone: Liberation

- ModNation Racers

- Pursuit Force

30 Days of PlayStation Plus

100 Virtual Items in PlayStation Home

I think its a nice thing. People can say what they want, but what happened to Sony could happy to anyone. We are very fortunate hackers dont go bat **** crazy all the time. Sadly Sony just put a bullseye on their face thanks to the Jailbreak lawsuit and such.

I had alright owned InFamous but traded it in, so I re-got that. Not sure why, it just seemed the most valuable so I got it, but I should of picked up dead rising or something. I also picked LBP like most people, and I had never played it. Its kind of fun I guess, but sometimes the controls piss me off. Mainly the sack guy jumping from front to back to back to front randomly.

I dont have a PSP but downloaded two game. Killzone and Pursuit Force. Can I just play them on my PS3? And I was going to take advantage of the PSPlus thing on Friday, but that will likely just lead to me buying a handful of games for cheap.

1. On your PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Portable navigate to the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB

2. Log into your PlayStation Network account and choose Account Management > Transaction Management > Services List

3. Choose “PlayStation Network Promotions” from the list of services displayed

4. Select either “PS3 Free Games” or “PSP Free Games” and then choose “Select Content”

Seems a few people are experiencing the problem I had but following the above steps it works again.

I'm actually buying an Xbox in the next month, not just because of the hack thing but because Sony has dissapointed me so much. They waste soooo much time and resources on meaninglesss stuff.

-PSP and NGP? Who cares. I have a PS3, how about focusing on that? The hand held battles were consistently won by Gameboy for years now everyone has smart phones, why carry around a handheld game system when I can use my IPhone? Old way of thinking.

You know, I agree on parts of this but disagree on other parts. First off, If you are referring to Nintendo, what did you expect? It's not like they are in the phone-making or even the MP3-player business. If they were, I would agree this statement. I doubt they changing their handhelds to have a cell-phone features or computer features. Whether they should is one thing... but they haven't been this kind of company. However, that being said, while in the short-term, I think you aren't right on this point on Nintendo... you could right in the future. Having Dual Screens and 3D isn't all it's cut out to be. Dual Screens gave me more to look at, and 3D makes me eyes hurt.

However, if you are referring to Sony, I would mostly agree, except... don't forget about Nokia's N-Gage and how much it flopped. This sort of applies to Nintendo as well, except they aren't making cells and in the computer business like Sony is. Sony could theoretically add more features to the PSP to give it phone capabilities and computer capabilities, but the flop that is the N-Gage might hold them back. People are complaining that the PSP isn't enough of a gaming handheld as it is.

Your statement on PS3 doesn't surprise me, but what does surprise me is how you came to conclusion so late. They have been vain and arrogant ever since the success of the PS2. I like their products, but they heads has been in the clouds for a long time.

Archived