Easiest Place To Start

I want to either start my own promotion or take over a small one and I'm wondering where the easiest place to start in the game would be. I tried APW in 2008 but Australia was too hard. Any advice? I'm looking for a tiny challenge, but I don't want to be frustrated the whole game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mid Atlantic Wrestling is always a good starting point in my opinion. You have no competition in the area and a very young roster to work with. Rip Chord allows you to use him in angles that can be helpful towards the show as a whole as well as help improve the younger talent. Being able to book one show a month allows you to watch the game world grow. I think a smaller promotion is helpful so you don't become overwhelmed.

So I got the game, any idea when it's a good idea to start running weekly shows as opposed to just the monthly shows in MAW?

It'll take some time. I didn't branch out to another region (Great Lakes) until September 2012. From there I went to the South East in November 2013. I waited to build up a following in the Mid Atlantic before moving to another territory. I waited for the spillover (popularity/importance increasing to a certain point in one region will cause an increase to a few surrounding regions; the regions affected depend on the one region) from the Mid Atlantic region to increase another region before running a show there (so you actually have a decent attendance as opposed to 12 people). You could go about it anyway you want though.

I appreciate the help, I'm not going to follow exactly but a road map will definitely help.

The locker room morale is also pretty bad (it's at like 66), I haven't hired anyone else but I assume this is helped by hiring good locker room veterans? I just don't know if it's financially feasible to hire anyone at this point. How many guys can you reasonably bring on without being burdened money-wise?

It's balanced by good influences, who are people with 'nice' personality traits (age is immaterial, a lot of veterans are actually BAD influences).

Look out for people who are Humble, Generous, Compassionate, Loyal and Social. Avoid people that are Egotistical, Antisocial, Selfish, Ruthless and Mercenary.

At your level, you can only hire people to PPAs. AKA people only cost you money if you use them. They might get annoyed if you don't use them, but the only way you're getting financial penalties is if you're hiring people with downsides in their contracts (downsides = a minimum amount they earn, so you pay them even if you don't use them)

I'd try not to hire TOO many people, but don't be afraid to hire, either.

Regular Joe is a great pick up at your size. He'll come very cheap and he's a positive influence backstage (not sure to what extent, it's been a while). If you can get them (they'll be a little more expensive), Davis Wayne Newton and Jacob Jett are both talented and extremely positive influences.

Oh... and turn off drugs testing! MAW has a very severe drug testing policy in place and it'll nuke your finances inside a month if you don't switch it off.

Oh... and turn off drugs testing! MAW has a very expensive drug testing policy in place and it'll nuke your finances inside a month if you don't switch it off.

Fixed it for you. Severity isn't the primary concern, after all. It's dem Benjis that make it hurt. :p

If you need to boost your backstage environment, it may be more cost effective to bring in a few managers (they typically work for cheaper than many in-ring workers).

Off the top of my head, the workers I gravitate to for their backstage effects are:

Chloe Dean (extremely positive)

Dharma Gregg (very positive)

The Neptune Twins (both extremely positive)

All four of these workers can be had for $100-150 per appearance and whether you use them regularly or not, they'll still boost your backstage environment. As an aside, in case it's not commonly known, even though Dharma and the Neptunes are active wrestlers, if there is no women's division in the promotion, they will default to non-wrestling positions (Manager for Dharma, Personality for the twins). In addition to that, Dharma's probably the best manager on the indies as far as Entertainment skills are concerned.

Above post reminds me that Amber Allen is an extremely positive influence, comes cheap, and although I've not tested it out, could probably be used as a manager (great sex appeal, not so great entertainment).

If you're looking to improve backstage remember also to look for positive relationships. That said, the only plausible signees I can think of who fall into this area are Antonio Del Veccio (Rip's protege, who isn't that great a worker) and Steven Parker (Loyal to Rip, but probably quite expensive).

I am never going to encourage somebody to sign Peter Valentine, especially when the objective is improving backstage. xD

Yeah and it doesn't make much sense to sign Parker when he'll be gone within six months (SWF). Does loyalty extend that far?

I didn't mention Amber because she's not really suited to be a manager. Her entertainment skills are seriously inferior to the Neptunes and Dharma (but she more than makes up for that by smokin' those three in-ring). Without a women's division, it doesn't make sense to hire someone for a position that they're poorly suited for, especially when you can get FAR superior for the same price. Like buying a Prius to haul stuff around (for $40k, you can get a pretty damn good truck that'll do the job much better).

<p>The backstage options just really affect morale (so unchecking that option isn't actually saving you any money). Your drugs testing policy can be found in the control room under 'medical'. You'll want to switch it off there.</p><p> </p><p>

You can also comfortably raise your prices by 4 dollars across the board. Any more and the fans get unhappy and your attendance will drop.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks guys. Money is going well and shows are going well, I'm getting around 49s and my popularity was 18 in Mid Atlantic, so it should be boosting soon.</p><p> </p><p>

One question though, my grand vision for MAW consists of making it (eventually when we go national) a promotion like WWF was in 1998 to 2000 (good sports entertainment). Currently however all my angles suck, I'm using interview and attack storylines and they get like an 18. The complaint at the end of the show is that the angles didn't live up to the matches. I'm trying to use my most over and charismatic workers in the bits but it doesn't seem to be working.</p><p> </p><p>

How do I correct this?</p>

<p>changing the angle percentage to 70 will help</p><p> </p><p>

you can have someone with mic skills interview mean machine about rip chord</p><p>

(the default interview with manager 1v1)</p><p> </p><p>

you can do face off but no contact angle with rip and mean machine</p><p> </p><p>

just keep at it with your most over workers as they get more over you will get better ratings</p><p> </p><p>

pay attention to your workers overness before the show and after figure out what works and what doesn't </p><p> </p><p>

Findlay has 80 menace or so a monster unleashed angle works</p><p> </p><p>

not sure who you want to push but with angles just based on overness you can get anyone on the roster to the main event.</p><p> </p><p>

I personally recommand using the guys with the best performance ratings</p>

you could also move the match ratio to 90% then you don't have to worry about angles at all and just try them in a pre or post show but i have found it is easier to go to 70% but you may find it easier to not worry about angles at all I just like being able to build popularity and momentuem with them.

It's nothing to do with the angle ratio. In fact, considering MAW is Performance >> Popularity, changing the angle percentage to 70% would actually hurt his grades. Changing it to 90% would just mean any angles he DID put on would be even more likely to bomb.

@Raw; the problem you're going to encounter here is that Sports Entertainment, as a style, is popularity based. It's about big names and lots of angles. MAW is basically the intrinsic OPPOSITE to that. It's heavily traditional, and to get towards what you want to do, you'd need to implement significant product changes - probably to the tune of less realism and more mainstream.

Condors, whilst you are great at basically powergaming, in this case some of what you're saying is incorrect.

not sure who you want to push but with angles just based on overness you can get anyone on the roster to the main event.

This, in particular. Because... no, it doesn't work that way. You can have somebody make there way up there, but only if they're getting the rub of associating with someone much higher up the card than them. (From what I've seen of your work, that's through using Jack Avatar, whose popularity for a small company is at epic levels).

Having said that, Rip Chord IS your best tool when it comes to angles. He's more popular than anyone else and has the entertainment skills to be a good authority. He doesn't help by just road agenting. Have him commentate AND make announcements and so on. He's your boss and on a written contract, you're paying him no matter what. :p

As a performance-based promotion, you're also going to get dings if the angles aren't highly rated. Performance fans don't like seeing angles in the first place, which means that if they're bad, the rating will get dinged for the "The crowd really turned against it" note.

Try to keep the angles away from your undercarders, and if they have to be involved, surround them with people higher up the card to offset their own small overness. Even only a couple of main eventers in default MAW will have angles good enough to avoid the penalty (Citizen X promo about Mean Jean = a 32 on a test run I just did, both with the fortune of debuting with A/A* momentum). So yeah, if you're going to use angles, have Rip carry them for the time being until people get more popular. My angles hurt my shows for YEARS in my 0/0/0/0 game, and unless you're powergaming, that'll probably be the case for you, too.

<p>Blake Trask- i see how that could be taken wrong thanks for pointing that out</p><p> </p><p>

what i meant was if the guy doesn't have mic skills or menance he can still get over using angles that are based on popularity. I am sure you know you can raise anyones popularity if you want to. So when they get over if they lack any special angle skills (ace youngblood for instance) you can still get 100 rated angles based on overness when you get them over. I used to always push Ace in 08 good locker room guy but no wizard on the mic</p><p> </p><p>

Just for the record i play alot of user character who is an announcer with the rockhard setting i just have been on a jack avatar kick as he is so good for improving the rest of your roster. I have gone national with a main event scene of Fearless Blue, Extreme Deluxe, Daredevil Aero</p><p> </p><p>

and the angle % does factor in and i said make it 90% so you dont even have to have any</p>

<p>Thanks again guys for the tips.</p><p> </p><p>

So being the way the promotion is, is it counter productive to start feuds between midcarders since I can't run any angles to further the feuds? I currently have two feuds going, one between Cameron Vessey and Findlay O'Farraday and the other between Mean Jean and American Patriot. </p><p> </p><p>

On the other hand, fans are getting turned off if I use tainted wins for heels. I'm not sure why a traditional fan would get annoyed about that since traditionally in pro wrestling, heels cheat to win matches. They are also turned off by run-ins, which is a big problem for me since interference is the main way to further any feuds because of lack of good angle performers and stars. Any way to help this or is this something I should just not worry about?</p><p> </p><p>

And finally, I don't want to completely abandon my traditional style for sports entertainment just yet, I'm thinking a gradual turn. Should I adjust some of the product styles slowly over the years?</p>

It's the Realism again, it causes your product to have the "The fans will expect to see solid matches with clean finishes" note (which, as you noted, kinda sucks). So yeah, it's not because you're Traditional.

I'd say to slowly drop realism whilst slowly raising mainstream, that'll get you towards where you want to be.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rawisericho" data-cite="Rawisericho" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33524" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks Blake but I tried to lower Realism from Heavy to Medium and Mainstream up from low but it wouldn't allow me to save it, it said something like the realism stat was set too low.<p> </p><p> Any ideas?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Go into the editor and change the minimum Realism for your promotion to None. Or don't do that and...too bad.</p>

<p>In terms of building overness, pick seven workers you want to boost and run the following angle (you may have to create it, not sure):</p><p> </p><p>

1. Rip Chord rated on Entertainment</p><p>

2. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

3. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

4. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

5. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

6. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

7. Support rated on Nothing</p><p>

8. Support rated on Nothing</p><p> </p><p>

Run it for <em>at least</em> six minutes in your dark time (for realism, or in your show if you don't care that much) and as you're likely running in the Mid Atlantic evey show it'll build your 7 Support workers entertainment <em>and</em> overness before the crowd. You can probably gain a point a show in each of Mic/Charisma/Acting for workers who're in the 50s or lower in those skills, so it's not a magic cure, but it's effective in the long run. Overness gains are a bit more erratic, but I'd be surprised if that angle doesn't pull somewhere in the region of a 70-75 each and every time. The Mid Atlantic crowd just can't get enough of Rip and his B overness, and that'll gradually transfer over toe involved workers without losing Rip anything.</p><p> </p><p>

Just bear in mind that the 6+ minutes counts towards your show's angle time, as well as the amount of time that your workers are exposed to the crowd. Running Jean Cattley as one of the Support workers is fine. Jay Chord too (not that he can learn much more from his old man) but Erik Strong or Huey Cannonball aren't over enough at game start that the crowd want to see them for very long. Oh, and it sounds obvious, but you'll have to pay those seven workers regardless of whether they make it on the main show or not, so don't waste Rip's time on Curtis Jenkins.</p><p> </p><p>

You can also run the angle again (up to six 6 minute angles in pre/post show dark time) with the same or different workers, if you have more workers you want to build. Playing as MAW, though, that can get expensive (more workers) or annoy the fans (too much Huey) so take care.</p>

Archived