Mega Millions Over Half A Billion $$$

juggaloninjalee

I think I read that before taxes, taking it all in one lump some at this point is around 316 million. And thats before taxes. Still alot of money though. I may buy a ticket, if I can find some change in my couch :rolleyes:

Not exactly.

First off, the jackpot isn't half a billion ($500 mil), it's more than that. It's $640 million (due to all those people buying tickets). Lump sum would be $462 million. Government takes 42.5% (on average, depending on how many deductions you can come up with), you're looking at "only" 265.65 mil. That's one reason the lump sum option sucks. Besides the fact that you're not getting the full jackpot amount, you're also not getting to use creative accounting to keep the money. Creative accounting (or, taking advantage of every writeoff you can muster) is why Warren Buffett paid less in income taxes than his secretary did.

Even though I know how lotteries work ("Lotteries are for people who are bad at math", "Lotteries are taxes on the poor", etc), I still dropped $300 on tickets. Should I happen to win, I'm moving to Bonaire or the Seychelles and building a fat crib on the beach with a huge satellite dish and wind turbines in the backyard. Biometric locks on some interior doors and retinal scan locks leading to my sanctum.

I'd be trying to make that half into a full billion. Just end up being more work.

Yes, I'm sure doubling half a billion will be SO much sweat and toil. :rolleyes::p

Let me change my mind in 5 minutes. It is easier to make money with money. Just not easy.

You know all you have to do is put it in the bank (especially the type of money we are talking about here), and don't go over something like 5 thousand a day, and you will make money by letting it sit and collect interest (very low interest I'm talking... Nothing special).

So it depends on the type of money your talking about. :cool:

Um, what is this Mega Millions thing and why haven't I heard of it?

Wow Google it...

Well I didn't win. My dreams.....shattered!

My heart.....not broken...:)

No it's not easier to make money when you have money. Ask all the people who are bankrupt now that used to have billions. :)

No it's not easier to make money when you have money. Ask all the people who are bankrupt now that used to have billions. :)

Name five. I only say that because I know of several people you might be referring to and if you think they're "bankrupt", you've been listening to the media a bit too much. No one with billions doesn't hide a few hundred million elsewhere, outside the purview of the Dept of Treasury. Heck, I don't have billions and even I've done that (I call it 'matrimonial insurance'). You buy international stock funds from a bank in a tax haven (and that's just one example) and your money compounds itself, without being taxed. Just because the press thinks they're broke doesn't make it so. Wasn't Donald Trump "bankrupt" 20 years ago, after the Taj Mahal was built (and bled a million dollars a day for the first year of its existence)? How'd that turn out?

Remember, bankruptcy does not strip you of all of your assets or wealth. The media throws the term 'bankrupt' around so much, it doesn't mean what most people think it means.

I agree with Astil, to a point. It's easier to double your money when you have very little than when you have a whole lot. But I think the overall ease of it is a personal thing. The more you know and the more experience you have with the typical wealth generating mechanisms, the easier it'll be.

I'm kinda glad I didn't win though. That amount of money would've brought the lottery curse on hardcore.

When I was little an uncle of mine traveled all over the world. He came home one year with a Scottish girlfriend and her son and I became fast friends. It was hard at first because of the accent, but I grew to love it. LAter on I found out that my grandfathers ancestors came from the Scotland Ireland area. I was always interested in the couture and just the all out beautiful scenes I've seen.

So you've never been there?

I visited Edinburgh 2 years ago, awesome city. Can definately recommend it. Interesting architecture and fascinating history.

I do not need a life size Optimus Prime for my driveway. But if I came into half a billion dollars, you can bet your behind I'd have one :D

That would be AWESOME.

So many choices it's really hard to narrow it down.

If I may make a suggestion, you should target a group of people that are publically viewed as 100 % harmless and not usually seen as a target of hate crimes. Just to throw people off. How about stamp collectors? Or the Dutch? Vegetarians would be awesome as welll, on so many levels.

I mean I could set up a bunch of annuties that annuitize at different ages for myself and continuously try to start up a business, but that's the thing there, if I started a business I'd need to succeed at it, meaning it'd have to be self dependent after 12-18 months or I'd cut the chord. /shrug

I'm happy with my one bedroom apartment and my little problems working for the man.

Name five. I only say that because I know of several people you might be referring to and if you think they're "bankrupt", you've been listening to the media a bit too much. No one with billions doesn't hide a few hundred million elsewhere, outside the purview of the Dept of Treasury. Heck, I don't have billions and even I've done that (I call it 'matrimonial insurance'). You buy international stock funds from a bank in a tax haven (and that's just one example) and your money compounds itself, without being taxed. Just because the press thinks they're broke doesn't make it so. Wasn't Donald Trump "bankrupt" 20 years ago, after the Taj Mahal was built (and bled a million dollars a day for the first year of its existence)? How'd that turn out?

Remember, bankruptcy does not strip you of all of your assets or wealth. The media throws the term 'bankrupt' around so much, it doesn't mean what most people think it means.

Also depends on if it was a 7 or 13. And with a 7 you can cherry pick what to include in it anyway. I hate the modern bankruptcy system.

• 2 weeks later...
If I may make a suggestion, you should target a group of people that are publically viewed as 100 % harmless and not usually seen as a target of hate crimes. Just to throw people off. How about stamp collectors? Or the Dutch? Vegetarians would be awesome as welll, on so many levels.

How about all environementalists in the world? (did i spell it right?) This would include not only the environement defenders itself, but also vegans, vegetarians, random guys protesting against gas prices, guys who drive hybrids and are against SUV's and so on. And Jews are timeless. They've been the world's punching bag since...the beginning of times, and they could continue as such! So i would participate on that genocide. :D :D :D

How about all environementalists in the world? (did i spell it right?) This would include not only the environement defenders itself, but also vegans, vegetarians, random guys protesting against gas prices, guys who drive hybrids and are against SUV's and so on. And Jews are timeless. They've been the world's punching bag since...the beginning of times, and they could continue as such! So i would participate on that genocide. :D :D :D

but....but....but....then danialson would die also :( along with punk *yes he's vegan ;)*

Archived