X-Com Enemy Unknown: Firaxis remake

Dragonmack

With Firaxis's remake of the classic X-Com game ( company best known for Sid Meier's Civilization games, though I don't think Sid Meier is doing any of the actual development here), due out in a little over a month, I wonder if anyone else is looking forward to it?

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

Above is the link to the games website.

X-com was one of my favorite games back in the 90's ( although less so for its sequels) and if they are able to capture most of the playability and fun of that game, along with current graphical standards, then this should be an entertaining game ( although I have learned not to get my hopes up too high for reboot/remakes of old games.)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never played the sequels to the first game... I was always so happy with Enemy Unknown that I didn't need anything more, nor did I want any more based on what I saw of the later games. I think it was only last year when I was last considering writing a special diary on the forums here based on X-Com... was going to have a very Stargate type of feel to it and I even write out quite a lot of notes and the introduction.

So yeah... I'll be giving the new game a look. If it's anything like as good then I may even pick it up. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching (and checking almost daily for updates) since the literal day it was announced. Words cannot describe how excited I am for a new, REAL, X-Com game... I was most certainly one of those people who kept saying "I really wish someone would make a new X-Com."

And thanks to "The Gentleman Adventurer" Jake Solomon, in just a couple weeks this will be a reality.

I've been watching (and checking almost daily for updates) since the literal day it was announced. Words cannot describe how excited I am for a new, REAL, X-Com game... I was most certainly one of those people who kept saying "I really wish someone would make a new X-Com."

And thanks to "The Gentleman Adventurer" Jake Solomon, in just a couple weeks this will be a reality.

Actually, that's exactly how I think about this remake. I'm glued to the screen whenever a new preview video pops up somewhere and I've got to say, tactical blunders by the previewers aside (and oh boy do they screw up a lot), I'm super excited for the game. In a video interview I saw the other day, Jake could barely hold back on saying he wants to make a second X-Com game (Terror from the Deep anyone? Masochist level difficulty ftw ^^) but 2k and Firaxis aren't on board yet. YET! Finally, after the Jagged Alliance reboot debacle, it seems we're getting a remake that is close to the original's goodness.

Actually, that's exactly how I think about this remake. I'm glued to the screen whenever a new preview video pops up somewhere and I've got to say, tactical blunders by the previewers aside (and oh boy do they screw up a lot), I'm super excited for the game. In a video interview I saw the other day, Jake could barely hold back on saying he wants to make a second X-Com game (Terror from the Deep anyone? Masochist level difficulty ftw ^^) but 2k and Firaxis aren't on board yet. YET! Finally, after the Jagged Alliance reboot debacle, it seems we're getting a remake that is close to the original's goodness.

Let's be honest: there's going to be a sequel. The hype behind this game is both massive and well-deserved. I simply can't watch a gameplay video without going "OMG, this is awesome." If I were to ever bet on a game getting high reviews and the sales to match, this would be it.

And yes, I love watching other people screw up. I still feel bad for the English guy who had the soldier named "Chunky Kitkat". "Well, he's a sniper so he can't move and shoot in the same turn, so I'll just go ahead and have him shoot one of the aliens this turn..."

NO, if the choice is between killing ONE of the aliens but staying out in the open, or taking cover and shooting from it next turn, you take cover! Poor Chunky, he done got blasted with hot plasma. But we all make mistakes. What X-Com vet hasn't witlessly wandered a soldier into the middle of an open field at night and left him there during the alien turn? Heck, some people do it on purpose with their rookies!

Let's be honest: there's going to be a sequel. The hype behind this game is both massive and well-deserved. I simply can't watch a gameplay video without going "OMG, this is awesome." If I were to ever bet on a game getting high reviews and the sales to match, this would be it.

And yes, I love watching other people screw up. I still feel bad for the English guy who had the soldier named "Chunky Kitkat". "Well, he's a sniper so he can't move and shoot in the same turn, so I'll just go ahead and have him shoot one of the aliens this turn..."

NO, if the choice is between killing ONE of the aliens but staying out in the open, or taking cover and shooting from it next turn, you take cover! Poor Chunky, he done got blasted with hot plasma. But we all make mistakes. What X-Com vet hasn't witlessly wandered a soldier into the middle of an open field at night and left him there during the alien turn? Heck, some people do it on purpose with their rookies!

There's two German guys from print mag 'Gamestar' who do a daily (well almost daily) Let's Play of X-Com. In one of the videos, they had a rookie take cover behind a burning car - :D - next turn it exploded and while they were trying to figure out what had killed the guy I basically laughed my ass off. Yes, I do love watching ppl screw up and when this sorta stuff can happen, it's definitely X-Com. Oh and I absolutely must see the vid you're talking about with the sniper so if you happen to have a link I'd much appreciate it ^^.

And I absolutely agree, the hype seems well deserved. I haven't really done any kind of analysis of what I've seen and compared it to the original game, but it surely seems to have the feel. There doesn't seem to be friendly fire though - only a minor downside to me but I remember one of my rookies in the original game standing two or three squares from an alien, missing, and shooting his squaddie instead. While it sometimes seemed rather random, that also was a part of what made X-Com and might be missing in this new game.

Regardless, I have it on pre-order ever since I could pre-order it and I'm sure it'll be worth it. The only thing that really sucks right now is that it's another three weeks of wait...

Harmor-

The video in question

He's done 4 parts now. Alot of stuff gets edited out...early deployment and movements mostly. 1, 3 and 4 are pretty decent vids. 2 is a bit boring, where he tackles an "easy" level mission and not even very efficiently.

He's playing in Ironman Classic btw.

well, these gameplay previews look encouraging. Although it looks like this is for xbox and not for pc, so will see if it translates better.

In total its PC/XBox/PS3.

That video is from OXM..so naturally its the XBox build. I've preordered the PC version because...thats just how XCom should be played.

Thanks for the link GruntMark. Episode 6 of the German Game Tube guys is up

and this time it's research/base building exclusively. Interesting though as you get a glimpse of the costs of several projects - the Arc Gun (to stun aliens for containment) costs 35§ ... (§ - ??) and 'research' for a fifth squad spot is 50§ for example. Some very useful info - in ep. 7 they'll have to rescue a diplomat ^^ ... poor guy :p

Cannot wait for this game, Been an Xcom fan forever and this looks like a beautiful update of the principles behind the series.

The videos have been great to watch and really given me faith in this game and it staying true to the original' sense of involvement and emotional investment.

Perfect example of this: When the guy loses his favriote sniper in the third video. You can hear real anguish in his voice and he just kinda sits there stunned for a sec morning the loss of kitkat chunky.

Thats the kinda moments the old xcom produced, a real sense of investment in your squad and your own little remembrances of that time one squaddie saved another, came through in the clutch, or messed up royally. And what underpinned that was the fact that the little digital person could be gone for good in a second if you the commander made a wrong move.

I think that mission showed the new game has captured that sense of investment. Can't wait!

Cannot wait for this game, Been an Xcom fan forever and this looks like a beautiful update of the principles behind the series.

The videos have been great to watch and really given me faith in this game and it staying true to the original' sense of involvement and emotional investment.

Perfect example of this: When the guy loses his favriote sniper in the third video. You can hear real anguish in his voice and he just kinda sits there stunned for a sec morning the loss of kitkat chunky.

Thats the kinda moments the old xcom produced, a real sense of investment in your squad and your own little remembrances of that time one squaddie saved another, came through in the clutch, or messed up royally. And what underpinned that was the fact that the little digital person could be gone for good in a second if you the commander made a wrong move.

I think that mission showed the new game has captured that sense of investment. Can't wait!

This is absolutely true. It's very much like the original with a modern twist to it (not talking about the graphics). Friendly fire seems to be out the window though, or is only used on higher difficulty (or maybe classic mode).

Getting emotionally attached to underlings in a game is very important like you said, and the game indeed looks to deliver in that regard. Especially when you consider that high level soldiers have accompanied you through long stretches of the game, and when they die it really sucks. That's the kind of stuff I want from a game and the XCom series never disappointed in that regard.

As a bit of a newsflash - the demo is out on steam :)

I suspect i'm getting it on 360 ( I say suspect because the GF is getting it as part of my bday present, and she's been instructed not to get it for me on ps3 ha) but ill still DL this demo as soon as i get home tonight

I wonder if the demo is out or xbox live?

p.s Am I a major dork for getting bored in class yesterday and spending the time making a list of names I'm going to use when the game gets out? NO STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

I suspect i'm getting it on 360 ( I say suspect because the GF is getting it as part of my bday present, and she's been instructed not to get it for me on ps3 ha) but ill still DL this demo as soon as i get home tonight

I wonder if the demo is out or xbox live?

p.s Am I a major dork for getting bored in class yesterday and spending the time making a list of names I'm going to use when the game gets out? NO STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

LOL! You aren't ... I'm guilty as charged, and back when I was in school (which seems like an eternity now ^^) I did the same when I got bored so no worries.

Anyhow, I've tried out the demo in the meantime and the best thing about the entire experience is the feel the game gives you. In the 2nd mission (which incidentally is the last one the demo offers ^^) you're pretty much left on your own and that's when the suspense and intensity kicks in. Aliens could be anywhere and so I was proceeding really cautiously.

You get connected to your squaddies right from the get go (I was at least) and this can only get better (or worse once your first guys die) once they've been with you for a few missions and you level them up and give them nicknames etc.

The overall feel of the game is gritty and grim and on top of that I really like the kind of artsy approach to the graphics.

The only small downside was the kinda clunky mouse controls but since this is a demo I'm not too worried.

Overall, the game seems well worth all the hype ... which is another downside cause it's another 2 weeks and a bit til it's out.

LOL! You aren't ... I'm guilty as charged, and back when I was in school (which seems like an eternity now ^^) I did the same when I got bored so no worries.

Anyhow, I've tried out the demo in the meantime and the best thing about the entire experience is the feel the game gives you. In the 2nd mission (which incidentally is the last one the demo offers ^^) you're pretty much left on your own and that's when the suspense and intensity kicks in. Aliens could be anywhere and so I was proceeding really cautiously.

You get connected to your squaddies right from the get go (I was at least) and this can only get better (or worse once your first guys die) once they've been with you for a few missions and you level them up and give them nicknames etc.

The overall feel of the game is gritty and grim and on top of that I really like the kind of artsy approach to the graphics.

The only small downside was the kinda clunky mouse controls but since this is a demo I'm not too worried.

Overall, the game seems well worth all the hype ... which is another downside cause it's another 2 weeks and a bit til it's out.

Yeah, I agree. The demo left me wanting to play it more, and really didnt give away a lot of the features. I like the tactical combat mechanics, looks like the best I have seen since Jagged Alliance 2. Of course, thats only off the small sample of two missions, and I think the starting squad size of 4 is somewhat small. Original game was 6 squaddies with a heavy weapons platform or 10 squaddies in the skyranger, while the later ship could hold 6.

From one screen you see the squad size can expand to at least six with upgrades, including a heavy weapon platform from what I have seen of gameplay footage.

All in all, I can't wait for the game to come out, and I can see it pulling time away from my levelling characters in Mists of Pandaria.

You can mod the demo a little to get 6 guys into the Skyranger (which is normally only possible after purchasing upgrades for it in the game and could be considered a cheat here): My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown Demo\XComGame\Config\XComGameCore.ini

Line 422 reads Skyranger_Capacity=4 originally. Here you can set it to 6 - not beyond 6 because that'll crash the game though.

And if you want a bit of a challenge, go to - program files x86/steam/steamapps/common/XCom Enemy Unknown Demo/Engine/Config and open the BaseGame ini file. There you can change the difficulty between 0 (the demo default, means easy), 1 (normal), 2 (classic XCom) and 3 (Impossible).

Alrighty, I gave the demo a whirl.

And now I have to find something else to do for the next two weeks to stop me from going into a murderous rampage due to X-Com withdrawal. And yaaay, all my guys lived through the one mission it gives you actual control in. Though considering its on easy, I probably should've lost a couple guys to floaters. They're quite happy to just fly above cover and rain hell down upon you.

But didn't get to see much of the Thin Men: they were grouped up in a building, I chunked a single grenade in, they a-sploded.

I had a quick fool around with the demo earlier... it looks like it's a lot of fun. I may have to see if I can improve my computer a bit in order to run it properly as I was struggling a little with the speed in some of the demo sections. But... yeah, this could be loads of fun. Seeing the potential for growth already in the game, I think I might have to pick up the game and lose hundreds of hours to it. :)

Also... Dragonmack... you used to have 12 spaces in the Skyranger, so you could get 8 peeps and a lame tank that would get mauled by the first alien who took a shot at it. :p

Archived