X-Com Enemy Unknown: Firaxis remake

Dragonmack

Interesting to know. My wife's laptop is only a year old and actually has a better setup for gaming (:rolleyes:). Maybe I'll see how she feels about me installing on there. Could get problematic if she wants to use it at any point, though.

Maybe I'll turn up the settings on my next playthrough and see how it affects play.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the pre-order bonuses are Steam exclusives? I prefer to have a physical copy of any game I buy, but I do want that flat-topped soldier in my squad... ;)

Pretty sure the physical pre-orders have the soldier customizations also... but I know in the states the only physical pre-order copies are the slightly more expensive special edition that comes with an art book and some other out of game goodies.

However, no clue as to what the case is over in the UK.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I loved the original one. Unfortunately all these new ones are more "new generation" and i am very old school in terms of games (ie i value game-play way more than effects and graphics)

You should give the demo a whirl King. I think that on iornman (no resets) and classic difficulty this game is going to very true to the original.

The sense of investment in your squad, fighting over whelming odds, and having to balance research and development with a strict budget all seem to be intact.

Don't get pre-order and launch bonus confused guys. The soldier customization stuff is actually one such launch bonus - with pre-order you just make absolutely SURE you'll get it, but it's bundled with the first batch of games they put out on the market. This means you could potentially get it if you don't pre-order as well, it's just not 100% sure.

So, I still absolutely love the original xcom, but since im playing it now to hold me over, I figured I'd post some things im not going to miss at all to pass the time.

1. Getting ambushed at terror missions the moment you step out of the skyranger. Nothing is more annoying than taking a step and a half and getting your first dude out the door annihilated by the fact that the computer decided you were gonna land in a cross fire.

a second grip, though this hasen't happened yet (and hopefully never will this play through) to me. gotta love those rare occasions when the computer spawns an alien with an explosive juuuusssttt outta landing zone range so they can a) toss/shoot a missle right into your troop deployment or B) if you go cautious and spread a few out to hold a perimeter, fire a rocket right into the sky ranger.

2. Spending the first 30-45 minutes selling all the useless crap they start you with and buying a good inventory, hiring and firing soliders looking for people who don't suck

3. the complete randomness of who will be loaded where in the skyranger, and the painful process of stripping heavy weopens from guys at the back of the bus and cycling them to the middle/front.

Turning the detail level up to Medium seems okay. Will try High next.

Not being much of a PC gamer (I think the last demo I downloaded would have been about five years ago...) can I reasonably expect the graphics requirements to be the same between demo and game?

Yeah, although the full game will have larger maps than there are in the demo you should be good if you can run it already. Remember - you have 6 guys max on your squad and the amount of aliens is also not incredibly high all told.

So, I still absolutely love the original xcom, but since im playing it now to hold me over, I figured I'd post some things im not going to miss at all to pass the time.

3. the complete randomness of who will be loaded where in the skyranger, and the painful process of stripping heavy weopens from guys at the back of the bus and cycling them to the middle/front.

There's a mod that lets you change this. You go to to the equip craft screen and then soldiers and there are little arrows next to their rank that lets you set their position in the Skyranger. VERY handy to put the rookie plasma fodder up front while the Commander sits in the back with a Psi-amp.

The link for the info is here =)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530

I just saw that - you see, only the guys at Game Informer were allowed to post a review video early on, the rest of the gaming journalism are banned from doing reviews until Monday Oct. 8th (why? no clue).

Rundown is there are some minor issues with the UI and all other criticism is a) few and far between and b) also minor. Rest is basically praise and it ended up getting a 9/10 rating.

I just saw that - you see, only the guys at Game Informer were allowed to post a review video early on, the rest of the gaming journalism are banned from doing reviews until Monday Oct. 8th (why? no clue).

Happens a lot in video game journalism; sites getting 'exclusive' reviews of games and everyone else being silenced for a certain number of days afterwards. Nothing really wrong with it, tbh (unless the website is promising a good review in order to get said exclusivity, or the publisher is sponsoring them at the time. You wouldn't do a thing like that, GameSpot, would you?).

Everytime I see Oct. 9th I cry a little ... as a German I gotta wait three more days. Let me know how the game is in general but avoid spoilers as much as possible please ^^.

/shrug, I can tell you right now how it is "in general" without even having it yet.

XCom ist ausgezeichnet!!!

Because, let's be honest, it's gonna be awesome. I just need to decide where to plop my base down. I am a little sad you can no longer personally choose where exactly it is. Back with the original X-Com, my base was located in Havana, Cuba... on the very final mission, I brought in a rookie named "El Presidente" to aid us in the final conquest of the alien scum.

Happily, El Presidente not only survived the final mission but he also killed a number of Sectoids.

Well, looks like there's a critical consensus starting to form of X-Com: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494762 (links and quotes of various official reviews).

For those too lazy to click the link... X-Com is looking to at least be a smashing critical success. 9+/10s and 4.5/5s across the board for the most part after ~30 reviews.

Awesome, just awesome - together with the insane amount of preorders (XCom knocked CoD off the throne in Steam preorders twice actually) this means we'll for sure get more XCom goodness down the road. Good times for XCom fans and TBS fans in general.

@ Dragonmack: That definitely is a reason why so many ppl are so enthusiastic about it. Although there are a bunch of XCom clones (UFO AI, UFO Extraterrestrials and the upcoming Xenonauts) out there, this new XCom game is something else entirely. It has mass market appeal without the game being a walk in the park because of it - it's quite an achievement to get this done tbh.

I played UFO Afterlight, and while it was a decent game, it still never really captured X-Com. The strategic layer wasn't quite the same level as X-coms and I tried out the earlier versions of the series and they were even rougher than this one.

I may check out xenonauts, but really, as great as X-com was in the mid 90's, it needed more than just a graphics upgrade. There were aspects of gameplay that were tedious. I think this new game eliminated alot of that tedium, while doing things to still keep that same flavor. Thats not to say everything is perfect, as really no game is ever perfect, because no one can meet the expectations of everyone.

I would prefer a larger squad size, like up to 8 people, and we are losing some things, like base defenses and apparently we don't go to Cydonia in this one but from what I have seen from the gameplay I really like having to make tradeoffs and hard choices both in the tactical and strategic arenas.

I'll be getting it on xbox

This is pure torture. I don't know if i'm getting it today ( I know damn well the GF is picking it up today, if she's merciful i'll get it pre birthday)

or, if im getting it on the 11th (actual birthday) OR most likely and worst of all, on sunday, the day she's throwing me my Bday shenanigans.

Please, please let her be merciful and hand it over when i get home today....

Archived