Product Creation Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any other upside to using Cult in a product other than a noisy crowd and subtle gimmick use? Hardly seems worth the trade off given the restrictions on sponsorship loot and TV.

Also, hyper realism just seems useless. Maybe I should mix the two as a challenge one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the above question.

Also, if anyone could give me some help with creating a usable product for my comedy-based promotion, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm new to the series, so bear with me...

My favorite show is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and after watching their wrestling-themed episode ('The Gang Wrestles for the Troops', featuring an amazing performance by none other than Rowdy Roddy Piper) I was inspired to attempt a wrestling sitcom in TEW. However, this will be my first time creating my own product, and I don't know if it's even possible to make it work the way I want.

I figured ZEN would be the closest thing to what I'm looking for (though still not actually close), so I started there. Below is what it's looking like right now, but I haven't touched the match lengths or intensity/danger yet because I'm not really sure where I want to put them.

http://i.imgur.com/55PNpJ6.jpg

A few questions for anyone who can offer some help:

1. Is a 30% match ratio going to cause serious problems? I really can't put it any higher and still do my shows the way I'm picturing, so I'm hoping that it will work if I maintain a small roster.

2. I'm not too sure about the Product Appeal Definition. Comedy as a key feature is a no-brainer, but the rest is just my best stab at what I'm going for, and I have no idea if it will function well in practice. Any advice on that? I was thinking about turning Mainstream and Cult to key features, but switching Mainstream back and forth doesn't have any effect on the box at the bottom, and this is my first TEW game, so without that help I have no idea what difference it's making.

3. Regarding the definition, what would I need to change in order to get my fans to accept risky gimmicks? I tried raising and lowering various things, and I couldn't figure it out. I don't mind taking the hit on that one when necessary, but I figured I might be missing something simple due to my noobishness.

I was inspired to attempt a wrestling sitcom in TEW.

Depending on how much actual ring work emphasis you want I would strongly recommend looking at the RAW product in the default C-Verse, it's the most "TV Show based" of any promotion in the data

1. 30% wont really cause a ton of problems but you do run the risk of potentially overusing midcarders unless you are having long(er) angles to make up for the lack of wrestling time

2. I would leave everything at None or Very Low except Risque (depending on the content you want to show), Comedy and Mainstream (for obvious reasons).

3. Mainstream and Traditional don't like Risky gimmicks so it will be a bit tough to get a ton of risky gimmicks working with the required level of mainstream to run the product. That's not saying it can't work but it's far less likely to accept risky gimmicks.

Wow, quick response. Thanks a lot!

I don't at all mind taking the hit for whatever highly-risky gimmicks I end up using. I imagine they'll be few and far between anyway.

I'll take a look at RAW and go from there. I'm just glad to see some evidence that the concept itself isn't inherently flawed in some way.:)

Would it be difficult to succeed as a cult promotion with this product?

Key Feature: Traditional, Mainstream

Heavy: None

Medium: Comedy, Modern, Lucha Libre

Low: Cult, Risque, Realism, Hardcore, Pure, Daredevil

Its extremely favorable for sponsorship.

No. My favorite product is key Traditional, Mainstream and Modern. Heavy Cult and Risque. Make TONS of money.

I second the above question.

Also, if anyone could give me some help with creating a usable product for my comedy-based promotion, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm new to the series, so bear with me...

My favorite show is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and after watching their wrestling-themed episode ('The Gang Wrestles for the Troops', featuring an amazing performance by none other than Rowdy Roddy Piper) I was inspired to attempt a wrestling sitcom in TEW. However, this will be my first time creating my own product, and I don't know if it's even possible to make it work the way I want.

I figured ZEN would be the closest thing to what I'm looking for (though still not actually close), so I started there. Below is what it's looking like right now, but I haven't touched the match lengths or intensity/danger yet because I'm not really sure where I want to put them.

http://i.imgur.com/55PNpJ6.jpg

A few questions for anyone who can offer some help:

1. Is a 30% match ratio going to cause serious problems? I really can't put it any higher and still do my shows the way I'm picturing, so I'm hoping that it will work if I maintain a small roster.

2. I'm not too sure about the Product Appeal Definition. Comedy as a key feature is a no-brainer, but the rest is just my best stab at what I'm going for, and I have no idea if it will function well in practice. Any advice on that? I was thinking about turning Mainstream and Cult to key features, but switching Mainstream back and forth doesn't have any effect on the box at the bottom, and this is my first TEW game, so without that help I have no idea what difference it's making.

3. Regarding the definition, what would I need to change in order to get my fans to accept risky gimmicks? I tried raising and lowering various things, and I couldn't figure it out. I don't mind taking the hit on that one when necessary, but I figured I might be missing something simple due to my noobishness.

1. Remember your leeway (10% up or down). With a 1hr show, that amounts to as little as 12 minutes worth of matches. If you wanted to keep to 30% of the show as matches (so 18 mins of a 1hr show, not including overage), you could go up to 40% in the product. But for what you seem to be planning, the wrestling is secondary so 30% should be fine (20% would even work).

2. You won't see an effect in the definition window until you bring Mainstream down to medium. But why Cult at all? Are you saying that a sitcom centered on wrestling couldn't be a runaway success? I can think of several shows that are (or were) runaway successes but didn't have premises that seemed likely to hook fans on paper. The Big Bang Theory is one example. That 70s Show (all you need is one breakout star, yes?), The New Girl, How I Met Your Mother, King of Queens (Raymond clone), and so on. Psych might fit a RAW type of product a bit better but also has very strong comedic elements. Duck Dynasty might fit a medium mainstream, medium traditional (traditional comedic roles), medium/heavy comedy (Si, Jase, and Phil with Willie as the straight man), medium realism (reality show), medium risque (they kill animals onscreen), medium Cult (millionaire hillbillies/rednecks haven't been a successful concept since the Clampetts and can anchor a cable channel's lineup but not so much a broadcast network). Lots of examples. You just basically have to figure out how much of each type of element you want to feature. If you'll have outlandish and colorful characters, add some lucha libre. Slapstick comedy might warrant adding Daredevil.

3. Risky gimmicks don't mesh with Mainstream, just like subtle gimmicks (hallmark of Cult and less so of Risque) don't mesh with Mainstream. Think of mainstream as the watered down, completely inoffensive, 'fun for all ages' product element. Like Barney in a wrestling context.

No. My favorite product is key Traditional, Mainstream and Modern. Heavy Cult and Risque. Make TONS of money.

Might make even more if you cut the Cult and Risque. Family Friendly fare is the single most sponsor friendly product in the game (probably in reality too). Unless Cult and Risque are trending in your game area, that is.

Not exactly product creation but I thought this was the best place to ask this.

I want my promotion to have some sort of ranking system, almost like a league, where each year the bottom people are relegated to my B show and some take their place. The World Champion would be number 1 by default and only number 2 could challenge him (with Royal Rumble like exceptions).

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what to base this ranking system on... to have a simple win/loss score seems quite problematic, like I want my mid card to be able to go on a run beating loads of jobbers without going up in the rankngs/ I'd want an upper midcarder to be able to lose often to main eventers without going too far down.

One thought was to have it similar to WWE's Power 25, where it's not such a clear cut rankings with rules, more just a random who is doing well at the moment thing, but then I wouldn't be sure how often to update it? Who in storyline terms decides it etc.

Interested to know other people's opinion on what could make a good ranking system that makes sense storyline wise.

Not exactly product creation but I thought this was the best place to ask this.

I want my promotion to have some sort of ranking system, almost like a league, where each year the bottom people are relegated to my B show and some take their place. The World Champion would be number 1 by default and only number 2 could challenge him (with Royal Rumble like exceptions).

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what to base this ranking system on... to have a simple win/loss score seems quite problematic, like I want my mid card to be able to go on a run beating loads of jobbers without going up in the rankngs/ I'd want an upper midcarder to be able to lose often to main eventers without going too far down.

One thought was to have it similar to WWE's Power 25, where it's not such a clear cut rankings with rules, more just a random who is doing well at the moment thing, but then I wouldn't be sure how often to update it? Who in storyline terms decides it etc.

Interested to know other people's opinion on what could make a good ranking system that makes sense storyline wise.

Maybe introduce a 3 or 4 class system and have wins/losses to members of different classes affect rankings differently. For instance Class A would be all main eventers so multiple wins over them might be 3/4 times as much as wins over class C wrestlers.

Maybe introduce a 3 or 4 class system and have wins/losses to members of different classes affect rankings differently. For instance Class A would be all main eventers so multiple wins over them might be 3/4 times as much as wins over class C wrestlers.

Thanks for the idea, I have considered that actually, just not sure if it would be too complicated for a diary. I suppose as long as I explained it well it should be fine.

When would you 'lock down' the rankings. Say I have a PPV coming up, where number 2 will challenge number 1. When do you think this match should be made? If it isn't made until the show before the PPV it would make the promotion quite exciting because you're never fully sure who is going to get the title shot, but it would make it harder to hype a title match up if at any point number 3 could take over number 2.

You could make rank 1 and 2 freeze at the PPV before (Which might be what you meant, I don't remember reading how many events/tv you'll have per month.)

That way you have a semi-main event (The number one contender match to challenge the champ) every month. You also get a month to hype the actual championship match.

I'm currently doing a game somewhat like this, and the one issue I've noticed is that once I got TV, the champ doesn't do too much. You can have him do angles, but you can't really have him fight since the next championship match is already decided. In a normal game you'd just put him in non-title matches or tag matches or whatever, but in a game with rankings, it's hard to justify having him go up against anyone except the number one contender. I started putting the title on guys who are less talented in-ring, just so that I could use the workhorses and showstoppers more often.

To a degree, autopush already provides a ranking system; beating somebody way above you is huge, whereas a win against a jobber doesn't mean much (domination notwithstanding, although domination would imply you're better than what one would expect).

You could make rank 1 and 2 freeze at the PPV before (Which might be what you meant, I don't remember reading how many events/tv you'll have per month.)

That way you have a semi-main event (The number one contender match to challenge the champ) every month. You also get a month to hype the actual championship match.

I'm currently doing a game somewhat like this, and the one issue I've noticed is that once I got TV, the champ doesn't do too much. You can have him do angles, but you can't really have him fight since the next championship match is already decided. In a normal game you'd just put him in non-title matches or tag matches or whatever, but in a game with rankings, it's hard to justify having him go up against anyone except the number one contender. I started putting the title on guys who are less talented in-ring, just so that I could use the workhorses and showstoppers more often.

Yeah freezing just the top people the month before could work!

I'd never thought about that for the champion. I guess one way you could get around it is to say that although the champion is number 1 by default, his score is still kept track off. So say he kept his title for a long time, but only wrestled at the PPV's he would have a pretty low score compared to most the top people, so if he lost it he would plummet down the rankings which gives him motivation to actually win random matches to ensure if he lost the belt he has a better chance at getting it back.

To a degree, autopush already provides a ranking system; beating somebody way above you is huge, whereas a win against a jobber doesn't mean much (domination notwithstanding, although domination would imply you're better than what one would expect).

Yeah you're right, essentially what I want to do is translate that rankings system into kayfabe. It would seem strange to refer to people as main eventers and openers in the actual show. I think a points ranking which had a class/tiered system like Teh_Showtime mentioned does this pretty well.

I'm looking to create a new promotion in Genadi's 2001 mod. Any suggestions on how I get the following;

[*]Workers rated more on popularity

[*]Have performance taken into consideration but not so it outweighs, or is as important as popularity

[*]Have a hardcore division that is not the main focus of the promotion.

[/list

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm looking to create a new promotion in Genadi's 2001 mod. Any suggestions on how I get the following;

[*]Workers rated more on popularity

[*]Have performance taken into consideration but not so it outweighs, or is as important as popularity

[*]Have a hardcore division that is not the main focus of the promotion.

[/list

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, you can set Traditional to Key, and Mainstream to Heavy and get the first two. I think it is simply that mainstream is the important one in creating a product that values pop vs. performance. There may be other ways to get there, though. For hardcore would you not just put it at medium or low?

Well, you can set Traditional to Key, and Mainstream to Heavy and get the first two. I think it is simply that mainstream is the important one in creating a product that values pop vs. performance. There may be other ways to get there, though. For hardcore would you not just put it at medium or low?

I wouldn't put it to medium, I would probably set it to low because otherwise you get the fans not liking low content matches everywhere in the product

I wouldn't put it to medium, I would probably set it to low because otherwise you get the fans not liking low content matches everywhere in the product

sorry I missed, this, but yes, you are right. It also bothered me when trying to move toward a more entertainment based product.

• 2 years later...
Is there a product setting that would simulate something like MMA, not necessarily cage fighting, but stuff like the old PRIDE promotion.

Hyper Realism set at Key Feature, Realism and Pure at Heavy or Medium and everything else set at none basically.

Archived