8 Rings Of Wrestling: The Dynasty

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I asked, and per Adam, players have to apply to the alliance rather than being invited.

Which of course never occurred to me to try or suggest. D'oh! :o

So yeah, here's public notice to my 8RoW cohorts; I will accept the application of any company who employs women in an in-ring capacity. If you create a child company that is women only or has a women's division, I will send an invitation to them, and it's up to the AI whether they accept or not.

Yeah I saw your bug report, its a handy thing to know.

The build up to Christmas and everything that entails has been slowing me down a little, but my first post is almost written. I'm getting a little nervous about posting it actually, it's a pretty heavy duty start but it's also setting up the chess board for the awesomeness that is BHOTWG. I may actually write an apology for it before I post it, just in case. :p

Great job so far guys. Can't wait for the final 4 participants to get up and running.

My opening post will be up by the 27th at the latest. I've just come home to collect some stuff, and remembered to put all the stuff I'd written on my dropbox, so that I can actually work on it. :p If I don't get it up beforehand, I'll definitely do it when I get back home!

The build up to Christmas and everything that entails has been slowing me down a little, but my first post is almost written. I'm getting a little nervous about posting it actually, it's a pretty heavy duty start but it's also setting up the chess board for the awesomeness that is BHOTWG. I may actually write an apology for it before I post it, just in case. :p

Look at it this way. You can't have a worse opening post than me. It was bad enough that FIN doesn't want people thinking it exists! ;)

Just to let you know we are already on Friday on Week 1 of January which is amazing, given the fact that people are on their christmas holidays. I'm actually at work but hopefully I'll have the first real patch of updates written into this thread later this week. Our gameplay and diary writing will become faster and faster as we progress as already we're seeing the 'skip my turns unless something major comes' which really speeds up the gameplay so in the future we'll be having much more constant rate of updates in this diary and also in all of the eight subdiaries. Just this morning I ran my first show with WEXXV and ratings wise it's a blast, had a C main event and everything just clicked into the right places ;)

Our gameplay and diary writing will become faster and faster as we progress as already we're seeing the 'skip my turns unless something major comes' which really speeds up the gameplay so in the future we'll be having much more constant rate of updates in this diary and also in all of the eight subdiaries.

That just about sums up why I wanted nothing what so ever to do with this kind of project- Having to 'speed' my turn along and then rush out my next entry would do my head in. Sure I like to keep to a deadline of sorts but this would make it feel like a job.

I'd be surprised if by Easter if at least one of this original 8, hasn't cracked under the pressure of this schedule.

The "pressure" of the "schedule"? We've simmed five days of game time in two weeks. Break-neck speed! Self's almost booked one show! :p

Nobody's forcing anyone to hurry up, all FIN meant was that we've already gotten to the point in the actual playing of the game where most of the early "leg-work" has been done. Signings have been made, schedules have been set-up, initial bidding wars have been fought, etc. So now we're getting to the stage whereby some players can say "just skip my turn unless something important happens". They don't HAVE to, of course, but taking me as an example, there is literally no reason for me to have a turn between today in-game and my next show, unless something happens. If it was possible, I'd multi-advance and something happening would break the advance. But auto-advance isn't possible, so I just ask FIN (whose turn is immediately before mine) to advance past my turn before he uploads it for the next person (Blake). That way, I don't have to hold everyone else up when I'm not even going to do anything on my turn. Fin is essentially fulfilling the role of the multi-advance option for me. No more, no less.

Nobody's said anything about being pressured into posting updates. Hell, I haven't even posted my dynasty thread yet. :p The individual dynasties will largely progress at the player's own pace. FIN just mentioned that this thread can now be used more for actual game updates than random inane banter between us, as the game is actually progressing now so there is in-game stuff happening to update on.

Having to 'speed' my turn along and then rush out my next entry would do my head in. Sure I like to keep to a deadline of sorts but this would make it feel like a job.

Quite the contrary, we've had a very, very relaxed atmosphere with no rush whatsoever. And it's going to stay that way :) All I was saying is that I'm extremely pleased of how well all this has gone, I thought it'd be much more difficult. Dropbox works like a miracle, so does the communication between members. :cool:

Ok fair enough- it seems to be working out fine for you all now, but will it be that way say three months down the line? And I thought the whole point of this sort of project was that the diaries were supposed to be somewhat keeping at the same pace as each other- not really much good if say a few diaries are skipping ahead of the others, or vice versa some are struggling to keep pace.

Look I don't want to fall out with people over this, and it's actually better that I come clean with my reservations/irritations towards 8ROW, than taking veiled pot-shots. It's just that the 'this will be the greatest thing ever' hype, when this thing was launched and has somewhat continued through, just rubbed me up the wrong way (and it probably is just me :p)- Especially when these sort of multi-player projects usually die on their arse.

Just call me a little more skeptical than alot of people, who already seem to be buying this project as a great success, before it's even proven itself to have any kind of enduring legacy.

If you can make this work (especially with the original line up- because if people drop in and out- it will become a mess) for a considerable amount of time (lets say at least a year), then hats off to you. But at the moment I remain unconvinced.

You know what, if I wasn't part of this project, the "best thing ever" tag would have bothered me too. I'm a competitive dude with an ego. No mere gimmick can best me.

I hope we can live up to the hype. I do believe the multiplayer aspect will make this different than other dynasty games. Different, fresh, not necessarily better.

The pace of the project has been a definite worry for me ever since I put my name forward. I don't want to rush or half-arse anything, and who knows how busy I'll get in the future. That's why I've been writing like a madman now, when I'm motivated, and have nothing better to do. A couple of days ago I wrote a go-home promo for the DeColt WrestleFestival. That's at the end of March, people. So I reckon I've got a good enough jump on scripts to not let the side down.

The end of the first week's bidding wars may speed us up, but I think time-zones and working schedules are going to keep us at a steady pace. I'd love to eventually get into the rhythm of posting one show a week, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't see where the idea of there being any "best thing ever" hype has really come from... :/

Sure, some people have been giving us encouragement. So? If JC, PS, E-V or BP42, or you yourself post a backstory, they get two pages of posts from people saying how much they're looking forward to it. Hell, I just referred to them all by their initials and you know exactly who I mean, that should tell you something. Why is this project any different? There are eight of us, so it's to be expected that there'd be a bit more buzz than for one person.

It's an interesting project, none of us (that I've seen) are professing it to be anything different. There was a discussion in the live chat earlier about how some people are only reading some of the 8RoW dynasties and not others. That's cool - encouraged, really. We're not some sort of evil dynasty-based corporation closing down all the small independent dynasties, there's no need to protest.

There are certain writers who enjoy a lot of hype and praise but write in a style that I don't personally enjoy; do I go into their threads and trash them because it's not my cup of tea? Of course not. That'd make me an ass. I just find dynasties I do enjoy and read them instead.

Besides which, off the top of my head only half of us have even posted a show yet - and last week was a bit busy for most of us. It's a bit early to be heralding the death of the project. Yes, drop-outs and the like are an unfortunate likelihood, but it's not as if nobody has ever 'dropped out' of their one-player dynasty is it? Neither is it as if everyone has signed up to this oblivious to the 'risks'. You're acting as if this sort of thing has never been attempted in the history of the world and you're the only one that has noticed the potential flaws, like some old hag in a shed shouting "iceberg! Iceberg!" when they launched the Titanic. We're well aware of the icebergs, but if we let them stop us attempting the voyage, nobody would ever get to America.

The point of my last post, was to get my skepticism about this project out of my system, otherwise I really would have ended up being a right arse. :p

Sometimes it's just better to let things out, rather than keep them in.

Anyway I've fired off PM's to Derek B (in response to a PM he sent me concerning my 8 rings negativity) and one in response to D-Lyrium (I thought a PM would be more civilized).

I hope these PM's will have cleared the air.

I don't get this whole discussion to be honest, I feel a bit awkward. I shouldn't have to defend that it's actually extremely fun to play with seven other players in my opinion. Point being that it's not about being the best thing ever, it's about the new possibility of actually having eight players in the game and what that brings along. Or doesn't bring, we'll only know in the long run :) Sorry to those who've seen all this in a negative way, it certainly wasn't my intention. A lot of the hype that we sure have had was about the 'never before' aspect, not about 'best thing ever omg!11!!!'.

Like I said, I feel really awkward about this whole discussion so if you guys don't mind we could concentrate on the thread and the diaries. I have two days off now so I'll get busy with this and publish the stuff that I've already written but need a bit polishing etc. :)

*poke poke*

Well hello you, my nemeses. What with your fancy "other people playing the game" and "creativity". Yeah, I see what you're doing.

I DECLARE WAR!

In other news, I'm sad no one got SOTBPW, as that has "kill the world" written all over it.

Archived