Wrestling As A Sport

Ric Flair vs Bruiser Brody is probably right up your alley then ;)

It's funny you mention that - i was watching their 2/3 falls match just the other day. I've been told to watch a bunch of Brody tapes as i'm of a similar stature.

I'd say sorry for this thread being so off-topic, but i don't think it was ever on :p

It's nice to discuss wrestling like this, beyond booking (even if it is tangentially TEW-related), with you guys though. I usually only have /wooo/ to rely on for that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's funny you mention that - i was watching their 2/3 falls match just the other day. I've been told to watch a bunch of Brody tapes as i'm of a similar stature.

I'd say sorry for this thread being so off-topic, but i don't think it was ever on :p

It's nice to discuss wrestling like this, beyond booking (even if it is tangentially TEW-related), with you guys though. I usually only have /wooo/ to rely on for that.

A woookie that actually enjoys old school wrestling?

I felt so alone...

This thread is for the people who love pure wrestling. I am personally running a company based on the real ROH. Honestly doing a company like this has my popularity always increasing and fast. As I have medium positive in 5 of the 7 areas and minor positive in 1 of the remaining two. The last one, British Isles, has no effect. If anybody need help on who to hire and how to get started with this type of company, which is heavy on the wrestling aspect of thing, post it here.

Good luck on dominating TCW, SWF, USPW, and NOTBPW.

/nod, the game definitely seems to be bias to "pure" still. My opinion is that it's not very realistic, and so I stay away from it when playing, because it makes it incredibly unbelievable for me. I remember using Remi's product values the first time, and thinking "WoW! This is great!!". So I can definitely understand the excitement about it.

I've been told to watch a bunch of Brody tapes as i'm of a similar stature.

Take it you're a wrestler and gonna steal some moves? :p

I usually only have /wooo/ to rely on for that.

Yeah there isn't a lot out there. Squaredcircle on reddit is ok

/nod, the game definitely seems to be bias to "pure" still. My opinion is that it's not very realistic,

The thing about pure wrestling is people don't really care who's wrestling. They're watching it as a sport - so pretty much anything in-ring gets over.

/nod, the game definitely seems to be bias to "pure" still. My opinion is that it's not very realistic, and so I stay away from it when playing, because it makes it incredibly unbelievable for me. I remember using Remi's product values the first time, and thinking "WoW! This is great!!". So I can definitely understand the excitement about it.

I've noticed this playing the demo as well. If Pure or any other Product Type is not popular in a particular region then there is not reason for it to be influencing the grade so favourably.

It's the internet. I could care less. Use Wut instead of What if you want.

Couldn't. You couldn't care less. Saying you could care less is saying, "I could actually care less than I do now about this thing. I care enough that I can care less."

Huge pet peeve of mine.

Also, RoH is modern. It is not at all pure.

Puro in Japan isn't pure either? lol

What kind of distorted views do we have here?

And entire board's worth of the biggest smarks/wrestling nerds on the net have said that, by TEW's definition of the word, ROH isn't a primarily "Pure" company. You do the math, before Scott Steiner does.

Couldn't. You couldn't care less. Saying you could care less is saying, "I could actually care less than I do now about this thing. I care enough that I can care less."

Huge pet peeve of mine.

Amen my brudda on the "could care less" thing. Sometimes I'm surprised I still have teeth LEFT considering how often I grind them when I hear that phrase. :)

And the RoH thing has been covered. But reinforcement is typically a good thing.

If you want 'Wrestling as a Sport', watch some of the real technical battles on World of Sport, it is a million miles from ROH and far and away more realistic. I'm sorry but i find it hard to take any promotion with the likes of Davey Richards remotely seriously :p

You're entitled to like what you like of course, but i wouldn't come close to calling ROH pure wrestling. You need to go back to the 70s to see that.

Davey Richards is still young. In the ring, I do love his intense style. Now if he could develop an interesting persona, I could see a bright future for him.

I would also like to point out that "puro" doesn't actually mean anything. It basically translates to pro, so saying, oh yeah, I watch puro, I then question, "pro what"?

Literally yes, but we all know the colloquial meaning is 'Japanese wrestling', which is admittedly still pretty broad, but not as broad as 'pro' :p

If you want 'Wrestling as a Sport', watch some of the real technical battles on World of Sport, it is a million miles from ROH and far and away more realistic. I'm sorry but i find it hard to take any promotion with the likes of Davey Richards remotely seriously :p

You're entitled to like what you like of course, but i wouldn't come close to calling ROH pure wrestling. You need to go back to the 70s to see that.

CM Punk, Dainel Byran, Antino Cesearo, Seth Rollings. They came from ROH. ROH is pure wrestling with a mainstream product. They may not be as real as other companies, but workers who currently and have worked there, are solid in ring workers.

CM Punk, Dainel Byran, Antino Cesearo, Seth Rollings. They came from ROH. ROH is pure wrestling with a mainstream product. They may not be as real as other companies, but workers who currently and have worked there, are solid in ring workers.

Solid in-ring workers =/= pure, and that seems to be the mistake most folks are making. The Modern product more than covers ROH's focus on in-ring talent.

But all of those guys, while many being talented technicians, even in ROH broke out with flashy, unrealistic moves. Hell, CM Punk's finisher is one of the silliest, most unrealistic looking moves in all of professional wrestling.

Not to mention, those are individual workers. Is Daniel Bryan a brilliant mat worker? Would his style fit a pure product perfectly? Sure. However, that does NOTHING to negate that ROH matches are filled with head-dropping slams, flashy top rope dives, and more no-selling than tickets to a Michael Bolton concert.

Read the in-game product descriptions. "Pure" sounds very, very little like ROH. There's elements of it, but you're kidding yourself if you think its the defining feature in ROH's product.

They don't even market themselves as a pure promotion. The way I've always seen their product was a slight variant of japanese junior wrestling, modified to be more "American". It doesn't necessarily fit but that's the vibe I get when watching especially their major matches.

Of course I think the biggest part of an almost completely junior based product product would be lots of Modern.

I really can't believe this is still going, so I'm going to settle this once and for all as someone who has actually worked in companies that have key pure and key modern.

In the pure company I worked for we were heavily discouraged from doing anything that wouldn't make sense if the sport was real. These things included assisted lifts, (snap suplexes were ok, shoot throws were fine, but stalling verticals werent) climbing the turnbuckles, running the ropes for any reason, and you picked one body part and worked it for the entire match. In essence, it was shoot grappling with no strikes and a fixed result. The closest thing I could compare it to is amateur wrestling, but kept exciting by the fact that it wasn't a cluster****y mess of limbs, and instead a technical wrestling showcase. Yes, the Danielsons and the Punks would fit in there very well, but you wouldn't see things like Bryan doing dives to the outside, kicks, or any of Punk's finishers.

The modern company was exactly like RoH. Yes it was all wrestling all the time, and the matches were very intensely physical, it was purely wrestling with very little in the way of storyline. However, that doesn't mean it's pure in TEW terms. The kicks, dives, rope-sprinting and head drops make both my fed and RoH modern companies with a 100% match ratio. The modern crowd favors fast paced matches - look at one of RoH's best matches in Kobashi vs Joe. The entire match consisted of dives, suplexes and hundreds of strikes from both parties. Yes, there was an immense amount of work rate, and it was very very stiff to the point where I showed it to some non wrestling fan friends and they commented on the intensity and actually watched the whole thing. Yes, it is very grounded in sport, but it's not pure in TEW terms.

If you showed a 190x-192x match between Gotch and Hackenschimidt at an RoH event today I can guarantee The crowd would chant boring because they are a modern crowd. In a pure fed, you can work a tie up or chin lock for 10 minutes. (Obviously you can move around the ring a bit, but still have the hold locked on) Think about how long that is. It wouldn't fly in RoH.

This thread didn't go near the direction Irishwhiskey thought it would. I agree ROH is constant motion, non stop action, high spots, head drops, etc its not slow methodical countering and what not. I don't recall anyone in Japan or anywhere else trying to imply that Puro was "pure" so I'm not sure whats so absurd about someone saying its not pure.

What direction did i want it to go? lol

I said what i said and i'm right so debate all you want.

Huge pet peeve of mine.

It actually has quite a bit of Pure.

Again i'll type how i please. It's up to you to decipher.

Archived