Developer Diary Discussion Thread

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just like the idea behind the game being overall FASTER and better programmed. I just bought WreSpi2 a couple of weeks ago and while I certainly enjoy the game overall, going back to it after Adam's more recent releases is a bit of a chore.

Going from rookie to legend is a slow process. Having the game run a bit faster will make it a little easier to get through those smaller companies until I get my big break at the cult level somewhere.

I always thought that WreSpi2 main problem was not the pace of the game, but the starting all over feeling. Once I had created a wrestler that was the most famous worker in the planet and had 100.000.000.000$ in the bank, I always found it more easy to continued working with him than to create a new guy!

OOOOH YEAHHH, TIME-TO-TAKE-THE-MACHO-MADNESS-TRAIT-STRAIGHT-TO-THA-TOPPPYEEAAAHHHH~

Seriously though, hundreds of traits that you can specifically assign to each worker is the very cornerstone of uniqueness for this type of game. As of now, so little seems to separate one from another. What I'm imagining is a Crusader Kings-style trait assignment to define the characters.

Hulk Hogan: Charismatic, Brawler, Slow, Technician(I have seen Hulk Hogan demonstrate competent technical ability before, it's there people), Comeback, Politician, Egotist

Dean Malenko: Workhorse, Technician, Chain Wrestler, Reversal Master, Resilient, Mic Deaf, Reliable, Menacing

Do I have the right idea Adam?

Do I have the right idea Adam?

Not exactly; most of the items you brought up would be covered by the existing stats (i.e. Chain Wrestler, Resilient, Slow, etc) or styles (i.e. Brawler, Technician, etc). Attributes are enhancements that specifically give pros and cons that go beyond the existing data; items like Comeback and Reversal Master from the list.

Not exactly; most of the items you brought up would be covered by the existing stats (i.e. Chain Wrestler, Resilient, Slow, etc) or styles (i.e. Brawler, Technician, etc). Attributes are enhancements that specifically give pros and cons that go beyond the existing data; items like Comeback and Reversal Master from the list.

Alright, so the stats used in TEW 2013 for workers will also be used in WreSpi 3?

I get the impression that Adam's developing ideas used in Comic Book Hero (where attributes were things like Combat Trained and Detective) and coming up with wrestling equivalents.

I'm curious to see how these will differ from the standard attributes, but I guess that's what playing the game will reveal.

I wonder whether it will play as a fighter roleplay, or as a wrestling simulation, the difference of course being that in the latter you will try climbing the turnbuckle, for example, whereas that might not be rational in a fighting game (where you'd just kick 'em when they're down :p). Also, in a simulation, you'd make an effort to make the best match possible, or cheat to win. In a fighting game you'd just try to win.

I get the impression that Adam's developing ideas used in Comic Book Hero (where attributes were things like Combat Trained and Detective) and coming up with wrestling equivalents.

I'm curious to see how these will differ from the standard attributes, but I guess that's what playing the game will reveal.

See, my thing is, I don't know how splitting the slider stats with attributes in the manner I'm understanding is going to pan out. I'm not questioning Adam, and when I'm not being a whiny bitch over something stupid or being a douchebag to him in chat I'm a huge fan of the guy and even after the botched CBH I still have total faith in him to make this work. I just don't know if maybe the system should go attribute heavy and back off the slider stats ala Crusader Kings II. Hopefully Adam will elaborate further in the future, but it's not like I'm going to not buy the game.

June 5th: Auto-Generated Move Sets

A new feature that is primarily designed to make life easier for mod makers is Auto Generated Move Sets. In short, this allows the game to create move sets on the fly.

The system is quite simple. Each move can be assigned various Cultures (i.e. Western, Lucha, Japanese, etc) and Categories (i.e. Suplex, Brawling, Power, MMA, Comedy, etc), and each wrestler has the same two selections too. The AI can then simply look for moves that match at least one Culture and at least one Category. For example, if the wrestler was set as Western plus Brawling \ Power, and the move Powerbomb was set as a Western \ Japanese \ Lucha and Power, it would potentially be a move he could use (assuming he had the required skills and other criteria). Similarly, someone who is set as Japanese and Martial Arts \ MMA is unlikely to end up using Comedy Eye Gouge (unless it had some very odd settings).

Wrestlers can either be assigned their own custom move sets (as they were in the previous games) or to use Auto Generated Move Sets. This takes a lot of weight off the mod maker's shoulders, as rather than having to make countless move sets he could instead choose to make custom move sets for the big names and let everyone else use auto-generated versions, safe in the knowledge that the wrestlers using auto-generated move sets will still act entirely in character.

Of course, this does mean a little extra work at the start of the process for the mod maker, as he will need to correctly set up each move and wrestler, but this is a case where a little extra work at the beginning will save a lot of time later on. It does have the big advantage that editing becomes much easier too - as the move sets are generated on-the-fly during matches, altering a move's settings does not require a lot of messing about modifying existing move sets, as the game will automatically take the changes into account when the next match happens.

It should be noted that moves can also be set to have no Cultures or Categories; this essentially makes them ineligible for auto-generated move sets, and can therefore be used to guarantee that some moves don't appear where you don't want them.

Colour me super-excited for this addition! I've often wanted to do a CV97 mod for WreSpi but the pain of creating move sets was always a massive stumbling block for me. With this it'll be so much easier to create a mod that WreSpi3 should be by far the biggest and best yet, with tons of mods and all manner of awesomeoness. Hooray!! :D

Colour me super-excited for this addition! I've often wanted to do a CV97 mod for WreSpi but the pain of creating move sets was always a massive stumbling block for me. With this it'll be so much easier to create a mod that WreSpi3 should be by far the biggest and best yet, with tons of mods and all manner of awesomeoness. Hooray!! :D

+1. Except making a mod. That's for Derek B. And Crayon, and Genadi(if he isn't dead), and NWAVs.WWF, and Hive, and the rest.

Archived