[HYPE]Risky Business (January 1985)

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jgriff3029" data-cite="jgriff3029" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36675" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When I played DOTT or mods from that time, I always made the PPVs or big shows things like WWF: Live from the Boston Garden, Madison Square Garden, Spectrum, ect.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What I might do is not start out with Royal Rumble, Summer Slam, etc. at this point in time, and let the player decide when they start a game(assuming they play as the WWF, of course) whether or not they will bring those events about; March will obviously be WrestleMania; have SNME take place in May, October and December; November will be Wrestling Classic; then have the other months be "Supercard" months. I'll probably have June as King of the Ring since the first one did take place in 1985. As I said, the player can change this when they start the game, or even before it if their heart desires. I just want to try and make it accurate for the time period. Also, should I go ahead and make WrestleMania a Season Finale seeing as that Vince put all his eggs into WrestleMania being the be-all/end-all wrestling event? I'm leaning toward having it be a Season Finale(but start out as a Normal event rather than Legendary, Historic, etc), but I want to see what the masses think.</p>

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think PPV carriers themselves should be changed from the DOTT's ones, only having closed circuit atleast until late 86 as I believe that was used for the first two Mania's and have them at a size where only the WWF can successfully negotiate with them at the starting point of the game. Don't think that would be too hard to set up as even JCP were a <strong>lot</strong> less popular in the US at this point.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt Shannon" data-cite="Matt Shannon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36675" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What I might do is not start out with Royal Rumble, Summer Slam, etc. at this point in time, and let the player decide when they start a game(assuming they play as the WWF, of course) whether or not they will bring those events about; March will obviously be WrestleMania; have SNME take place in May, October and December; November will be Wrestling Classic; then have the other months be "Supercard" months. I'll probably have June as King of the Ring since the first one did take place in 1985. As I said, the player can change this when they start the game, or even before it if their heart desires. I just want to try and make it accurate for the time period. Also, should I go ahead and make WrestleMania a Season Finale seeing as that Vince put all his eggs into WrestleMania being the be-all/end-all wrestling event? I'm leaning toward having it be a Season Finale(but start out as a Normal event rather than Legendary, Historic, etc), but I want to see what the masses think.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with what you are thinking for events. We can always introduce the Rumble and Surviivor Series on our own time. And yes, I would still make Wrestlemania a season finale.</p>

I want to extend a shout out and big thanks to Oyaji for looking over what I have thus far. He was a big help in explaining who should be where on Japanese overness, as well as stats and what not. I'm going through the workers I have thus far and making whatever adjustments I need to make stat-wise. I'm hoping to strike that balance of not overrating workers, but at the same time, not lowballing them either.

Right now I'm working on piecing together the rosters of the big four Japanese rosters of that time(AJPW, NJPW, AJW and UWFi). Then I'll be sending the data over to Oyaji for him to look over Japan and make any changes that need to be made. Once I get it to him, I'll be back to working on 1987: Bigger, Better, Badder.

Question regarding workers who would go on to be more over with an alter ego which had a mask associated with it. Right now as it is, when making an alter ego, you can set the mask to New, Weak, Great, etc. What about workers such as Keiichi Yamada (who would go on to become Jushin Thunder Liger) who hadn't debuted their mask yet, but would go on to make that mask internationally recognizable? Unless I'm mistaken, if the player was to hire him after he used that alter ego initially somewhere else, then decide they want to use that alter ego, the mask would reset to the default level associated with the alter ego. Should I make some more Jushin Liger alter egos with "Great" and "Legendary" mask settings, and set the starting age to an older age? Or would it be just easier, given the current game mechanics, to make the mask "Great" or "Legendary" from the start?

<p>The data is in the good hands of Oyaji at the moment while he helps with the Japanese workers and companies I imported, lending his expertise to that area of the wrestling world. Remind me to give him big thanks when I release this mod eventually. ^_^</p><p> </p><p>

Anywho, as you know, I had decided that while most of the Age stuff(Maturity, Decline, Relevancy and Retirement) would be Random, there would be some hard ages set, especially after I saw how Relevancy works first hand in my current WWF 1988 game. I have also decided that with some of the bigger name workers(and most everybody's favorites), I will set some hard Potentials as well. So for those who like everything Random, all you have to do is mass edit everyone to Random in whatever category. If it's really that big of a deal to people, though, I can release two versions of the mod: one with some hard ages and potentials, and the other with everything random.</p>

Got the data back from Oyaji, who put in quite a bit of work on Japan. He mentioned that some workers may be missing(I think it's just a few non-wrestlers or somesuch), but I can get back to those later in an update. He also mentioned Onita's injury that had him retired till he came back out of retirement to form FMW in 1989. I'm thinking of either giving him an odd injury such as African Sleeping Sickness, Get Off The Sick, Temporary Soul Separation or what have you, or having him as Out of the Business, then making a narrative with instructions on how to put him back in via the in-game editor. I'm going to tackle Stampede next, and if anybody remembers who was working for Bill Watts' Mid South territory in January 1985, feel free to PM me so that I can put that roster together as well. First post is updated accordingly.

Was looking on WrestlingData, and apparently there was no roster for Stampede for January 1985 as the closest dates I could get were September 1984 and I think December 1985. This may have been around the time Stu had sold his territory to Vince and allowed him to have most of his roster. Since Stampede would come back(several times, apparently), and since the game, as far as I'm aware, doesn't really simulate a company coming back, I just went ahead and kept Stampede open and made a small roster for them with workers who weren't employed, save for Kerry Brown, who's touring with New Japan. Also, the roster consists of workers who were known for working Stampede, not random free agents. Not going to highlight which promotion I'm doing next with the Blue color coding as I'm going to spend some time importing relationships and teams of what I have thus far, then go back to working on more companies.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt Shannon" data-cite="Matt Shannon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36675" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Was looking on WrestlingData, and apparently there was no roster for Stampede for January 1985 as the closest dates I could get were September 1984 and I think December 1985. This may have been around the time Stu had sold his territory to Vince and allowed him to have most of his roster. Since Stampede would come back(several times, apparently), and since the game, as far as I'm aware, doesn't really simulate a company coming back, I just went ahead and kept Stampede open and made a small roster for them with workers who weren't employed, save for Kerry Brown, who's touring with New Japan. Also, the roster consists of workers who were known for working Stampede, not random free agents. Not going to highlight which promotion I'm doing next with the Blue color coding as I'm going to spend some time importing relationships and teams of what I have thus far, then go back to working on more companies.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's the best option, I think. Bret was on Jericho's podcast a few weeks ago and mentioned that Stu didn't ever see a dime for "selling" Stampede to Vince.</p>

Second post updated to reflect where I'm at as it pertains to companies completed. Getting started on Mid South Wrestling. If I recall correctly, when they were Mid South, Louisiana, which is considered South East in TEW, was pretty much their home area. Then when it became the UWF in 1986, Oklahoma, which is in the Mid South region in TEW, had become their home region. So do I put Mid South in the South East region, or have them in the Mid South region? Then give them popularity almost but not quite equal to the next closest territory? (i.e., if home area is Mid South, then they get almost equal pop in South East, and vice versa) I mean, Mid South is in their name and all.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36675" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'd go Mid South for home territory. It's what they're most known for. Plus, real life territories=/=TEW territories</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think that's what I'm going to settle on as far as their region goes, then set their overness in the South East just five points under the Mid South region. I'm going to try and make sure their workers have the same amount of overness in the Mid South and South East regions.</p><p> </p><p> Also, should I even bother having a Working Agreement between WCCW and Mid South? IIRC, I think they were both part of the Pro Wrestling USA joint shows, along with Memphis, AWA and Crockett, but then Bill Watts lured away Ken Mantell to poach all the World Class talent away to help build Mid South into the UWF when he tried to go national months later.</p>

Just to update that Mid South's roster is pretty much finished. I went ahead and gave Jack Victory and Butch Reed contracts(I think Reed had worked the TV tapings the month before anyway) to try and fill out the roster so that it would get close to meeting the minimum of in-ring wrestlers. They're on PPA, so it shouldn't hurt anything, but I'll find out when I start doing real tests later on. Now I'm mulling over which promotion to tackle next. Also, if anyone else wants to chime in on where Mid South Wrestling's home region should be, whether it's Mid South because that's the area it's known for, or South East since they were most popular in Louisiana and Mississippi, and that's where those states are, go ahead and chime in.

I've decided that I'm going to go with South East for the Mid South promotion. I can always set it as in the Mid South region when I go back to working on the improved version of the 1987 mod when they were the UWF and running shows in Oklahoma and Texas by that point. Also, I'm going with Jaysin's suggestion of tackling EMLL next. I'll get them started tomorrow.

I'm calling an audible and will be doing the CWA Memphis roster next as opposed to EMLL. WrestlingData.com doesn't filter a roster for January 1985. Earliest is March 1985. And filtering to March 1985 only brings up maybe less than ten workers, so I'm going to hold off on that for now. UWA is going to be hard too because I can't seem to find any records for them on WrestlingData.com. I may have to do what I did for Main Event and just stack it with free agent Mexican workers.

Archived