I think the regions should reflect the population/demographics of said area:

So...

New England - Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass., Rhode Island, Conn.

Tri State - NY, NJ, Penn.

Mid Atlantic - Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, N. Carolina

South East - South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Mid South - Kentucky, Tenn., Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas

Great Lakes - Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin

Mid West - Minn., N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska

South West - Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico

North West - Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Washington, Utah

Pacific - California, Nevada, Arizona

This looks right

The thing about the Tri-State and this comes from being a New Yorker is in Jersey its NY, NJ and PA. In Pennsylvania it NY, NJ and PA. Bunt in New York its NY, NJ, CT. The problem is its only really half of Connecticut. After a certain point they stop being Yankees fans and consider themselves a part of New England and root for the Red Sox.

All of that said personally I consider CT part of New England. And I'm pretty sure in terms of old wrestling territories it was considered as such too.

So...

I'll tell my Cajun friends you want to lump them with Oklahoma and Texas. They'll be rightfully appalled Culturally they should be with Georgia and Probably missisippi.

Of these. New England, Tri-State and Mid Atlantic seem the most spot on to me

The OP's map is alright, though Mississippi and Louisiana are South-Eastern to me.

As an American myself though I don't really find much issue with Ryland's map.

What does need work is demographics. A lot of venues need at least Few Spanish speakers, if not more, especially in the southern states and in New York, as well as European speakers in New York and Japanese in the South West and Hawaii.

The OP's map is alright, though Mississippi and Louisiana are South-Eastern to me.

As an American myself though I don't really find much issue with Ryland's map.

What does need work is demographics. A lot of venues need at least Few Spanish speakers, if not more, especially in the southern states and in New York, as well as European speakers in New York and Japanese in the South West and Hawaii.

I agree I have no real problem with Rylands choices and the map. Except for Kentucky in the great lakes, seeing as it doesn't border one. Although related American Little League considers Kentucky as part of the great lakes.

Lookup the tri state area online and every source will include ct. They sfare tv and radio signals, favor the Yankees over the red sox, etc.

not to mention that in tew terms, the wwd based in ct has historically run mist shows in ny, pa, ct, nj, with msg being their Mecca.

ct is literally part of both, but game mechanic wise tri state makes most sense lm pretty sure mlb even considers ct part of ny media market.

I do not know about that, I live in Rhode Island and I worked in eastern Connecticut and the vast majority of the people I knew were Red Sox fans. I guess it depends on what part of the state you live in but I have personally never heard Connecticut referred to as being anywhere but New England.

Heck the Patriots were rumored to be moving to Hartford in the 90's and if they had they would have still been called the New England Patriots. I agree with everything else you said but I do not agree with Connecticut being part of the Tri State area.

I was always taught that there were six New England states growing up and that is how Adam broke it down in the game.

So...

Having lived in Alabama my whole life, I can tell you with certainty that it's considered part of the South East. Same goes for Mississippi and Tennessee. I'm not as familiar with the other typically Southeastern states, but you should really re-think that whole region.

I can understand why TEW included the Carolinas in the 'Mid Atlantic' region, though they're usually considered to be Southeastern in real-life terms, and Kentucky is one of the 'iffy' states that's probably better suited to the South East than the Great Lakes. Other than that, Ryland pretty much nailed the South East region. There are other 'iffy' states, but it's already a big region, so there's no real need to change it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_United_States

Having lived in Alabama my whole life, I can tell you with certainty that it's considered part of the South East. Same goes for Mississippi and Tennessee. I'm not as familiar with the other typically Southeastern states, but you should really re-think that whole region.

I can understand why TEW included the Carolinas in the 'Mid Atlantic' region, though they're usually considered to be Southeastern in real-life terms, and Kentucky is one of the 'iffy' states that's probably better suited to the South East than the Great Lakes. Other than that, Ryland pretty much nailed the South East region. There are other 'iffy' states, but it's already a big region, so there's no real need to change it.

the one thing I'd say here is that it's not about what the state sees themself as, but which organization controlled that territory. there was a lot of cross over between territories and state regions.

As far as Louisianna and Mississippi, they were known for Mid-South wrestling and Bill Watts. So as far as a wrestling territory, they'd fit there. Same with Mid-Atlantic. The Carolinas belonged to Flair.

Oh, absolutely, not disputing that, I was thinking more in lines or historical wrestling territories combined with demo/pop centers.

Bama thing got me thinking you could just use the old major college football conferences as a guideline.

Big 10 (Great Lakes): MI, OH, IN, IL, MN, IA, WI

SEC (South East): FL, GA, AL, MS, KY, TN, LA

ACC (Mid-Atlantic): MD, DC, VA, DE, NC, SC, WV

Pac 10 (Pacific): CA, WA, OR, AZ, NV

Big 8 (Mid West): ND, SD, KS, MO, NE, OK, CO

SWC (South West): TX, Ark., NM

With New England and Tri-State staying the same. Northwest would be WY, UT, MT, AK, and ID.

Personally, I think the whole "region" section is outdated and should probably be replaced with discrete markets. I'd rather just have cities than the current territory/venue situation. Right now, 300 fans going to see in San Antonio, Texas, puts a company in direct competition with Denver, Colorado running a show 950 miles away with a completely different 300 fans. Meanwhile a national company running a TV taping in a 10,000 seat arena has no effect on the company 5 miles down the road trying to sell 1,000 tickets.

Those regions make sense from a map perspective, but like you mentioned in your post, not from a wrestling territory perspective.

Not sure if you heard but the whole territorial wrestling thing sort died, but you're right if they used to do it this way then it should always be done that way. If it was good enough for the pilgrim it's good enough for us.(Heavy Sarcasim). I can see modding your regions for the historical mods, but forcing historical territories on modern day mods doesn't make sense either.

The regions, the venues and the way the map is subdivided are all kind of an abstraction. The game doesn't care if a fed's set up in Massachusetts or Maine because the "regional battles" it's trying to demonstrate would be on a scale that is, roughly, "New England." Kentucky's more "Mid South" than "Great Lakes," but it's not anything that has actual game implications.

I'd like to see the whole system be more granular because that would convey the experience on the bottom of the "pyramid" more realistically, but the game runs like ass when you force it to process through 60 feds or whatever.

Archived