What are the best/worst things about WMMA4?

I have to admit I haven't played WMMA4 in a while, I've invested so much time into WMMA3 that I find it hard to leave it being that WMMA4 is so different. (Still playing WMMA3 most nights)

Thought I'd post this question to see where everyone's at with the game (now that it's been out for 6 months)

So......

What are the best/worst things about WMMA4?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best - easiest negotiations out there. You literally waste so much less time. Love the filter system. These two alone make long games so much easier. I even like the needing to book a few months in advance like in real life.

Worst- Lack of characters. nearly every region is so slim on workers at a weightclass that they are all regens. No good SHW's out there, you have to wait for regens. Not to mention I hate regens without pictures, just can't get behind them.

Dramatic loss of chin, cardio. Now I understand the realism of this, but guys with iron chins don't just magically lose them in training.. I hate that I can't book strikers against eachother because it shortens their career and potential. I think you should only lose chin when age is a big time factor or you've been knocked out.

Camp system, I'm sorry but terrible and needs much work. I can't believe I see people leaving camps after dominant wins or multiple. They go there to "train certain areas" even though the same stats increase at that camp as another. And on that note, I hate that strikers don't train wrestling at all apparently like you'd think they would even when facing a wrestler OR vice versa.

Lack of growth, people can go 7-0 with all their fights televised and still only be high level regional despite being in a National company. Same for companies at a low level, its impossibe to grow them without going bankrupt because you gain 2 points in overness for a Great main and co-main event.

I guess my issue is the little stuff that seems rushed or not fine-tuned.

I do think this game is better than 3, but there are definitely really small nitpicky things that don't make the game more enjoyable. I would say that I enjoy 4 just as much as I did 3, and could go back to 3 and never really notice that much.

There's a lot of small features that were taken out, that I think could be easily put back in, and they've never been addressed. Like, why can't you edit fights? Why are there no pictures in the ranking menu? Why can't you filter a company's fighters and see who is available for hire? Why do you have you read every single e-mail? Why do you get like 5 e-mails stating the same thing in a number of different situations? Why do I have to type in contract negotiations, in a game that is controlled mainly with a mouse? I could just go on and on.

<p>Best:</p><p> </p><p>

- <strong>Contract system</strong>. Huge improvement over 3.</p><p>

- <strong>Booking interface</strong>. Straightforward and efficient.</p><p>

- <strong>In-game worker generation</strong>. Great for filling gaps in the game world - well, once you use a name patch mod, since the default database is strangely lacking.</p><p>

- <strong>Show previews and summaries</strong>.</p><p> </p><p>

Worst</p><p> </p><p>

- <strong>Game world is too stagnant</strong>. AI companies get far too big and will never go broke after a while.</p><p>

- <strong>Removal of features </strong>like booking vs TBA, showing when workers return and competitive credibility (that last one is particularly important, and I think it's a major cause of AI companies getting too big).</p><p>

- <strong>Too easy to poach AI fighters</strong>.</p><p>

- <strong>Fight quality doesn't make much sense</strong></p><p>

- <strong>Too many awful undefeated fighters</strong>. The local shows don't seem to work as they are meant to - even when there's a number of fighters in the same region, they just keep getting cheap wins over locals.</p><p>

- <strong>Not on Steam</strong></p>

I find WMMA4 to be a big improvement overall. In particular, the contract system is MUCH better, especially when running a large organization. I also think the match engine is vastly improved and excellent overall. There are still some minor issues with the fights (too many slams, for example), but I think it is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

Fighters who fight in local shows are paid too much. The fighters you hire to be cans would probably be happier being paid more to kick local cans around.

Wrestling wins consistently, striking got nerfed hard. Counter striking needs to be brought back, not the current crappy "counter jab" when initiative is lost in striking. Teep the grappler trying to close back. Let strikers land hard blows that keep grapplers back. Currently wrestlers close consistently while taking about 0-5 jabs, then they'll smother and dirty box the striker for about 2-3 minutes and land tons of jabs. Dirty boxing count is too high, after 3 5-min rounds a dominating wrestler can win with over 100 jabs landed.

The striking commentary isn't very nice to read now. It's too wordy, and it's too predictable.

It's currently:

1) One side lose initiative and miss/land a few jab(s). Opponent attempts jab(s) and makes extra attack (strong hand/kick).

2) Equal initiative, both attempt jab(s) and an extra attack (strong hand/kick).

3) Strong hand punch vs one-two, rare, too similar to 1).

For grappler versus striker it's

1) grappler loses initiative, striker gets free jab(s) plus extra attack.

2) grappler clinches, against the less skilled striker typically this leads to a few minutes of smothering and dirty boxing.

Some moves never land! I've never seen a "combo" that doesn't miss. Body triangle attempts from the back always fail.

Leg kicks are pretty weak. I had a 90+% low kick power fighter bombard a can in the legs and that got the cool "limping, can hardly walk" text series, but that was all. Nothing kickass like the other fighter giving up due to leg injury which does happen in real life.

Body shots suck, body punches and kicks ought to be significant enough to accumulate or even cause a one shot down/KO.

TLDR:

Strikers are too weak now, bring back significant counter punches/kicks that hurt and drive grapplers back. Make body/leg strikes more significant.

A small thing but not being able to template the TV coverage for different shows. For instance, I should be able to choose UFC on Fight Pass - I should be able to template the coverage, the announcers without having to manually choose each time.

Pros:

- The contract signing system is much better in WMMA4 in terms of clicks. It was a bit of a chore in WMMA3 and was one of the big reasons I stopped playing it.

- AI booking is much better especially after the tuning done post-release. Champs get scheduled to fight deserving contenders.

- Fight engine is better but there is room for improvement (see Fighting engine thread).

- Attribute system is very cool but under utilized. There should be more attributes doled out to generated fighters.

Cons:

- A side effect of the AI booking changes is the increased number of rematches; we're talking about up to 6 times. AI needs to consider pitting a fresh face against the champ before wrapping back around to doing rematches. Basically something like Chad Mendes who had to put together another 5 wins before getting the rematch even though he was #2 or #3 throughout that run. Also the AI should consider how well this challenger fared in the previous encounter and how many rematches have been done so far. Use that information to set a wins requirement on the challenger before he gets the next title shot.

- Champs who dominate divisions are content with just staying there. I would expect them to ask for super fights, ask to be moved up/down, or take a long hiatus. The AI had a guy who defended the title 20 times. This also contributed to the rematch volume issue.

- +1 on the fact that you can easily outbid the AI if you wanted to even if you are at the same popularity level.

- +1 on fighters leaving camps for no apparent reason.

- Older fighters who put together a great final run, still make a huge amount of money, ranked in the top 4-5, and on the cusp of the title shot decide to retire... I find it really hard to believe any fighter in that situation would retire. "Warrior Spirit" is kind of big thing with these types of people.

Camp system, I'm sorry but terrible and needs much work. I can't believe I see people leaving camps after dominant wins or multiple. They go there to "train certain areas" even though the same stats increase at that camp as another. And on that note, I hate that strikers don't train wrestling at all apparently like you'd think they would even when facing a wrestler OR vice versa.

The worst part of this is the knock-on effect it has on fighter development. Isn't camp quality factored into whether a worker reaches his/her full potential? If workers are jumping from camps of widely varying quality, they're basically shooting themselves in the wallet. A higher quality camp can lead to more/better (mo'betta?) skill improvements over time. But that's the key point: over time. Fighters rarely spend any appreciable amount of time at one camp unless they're permanent members (obviously) or long term/core members (which seems to come with a 6-month or so minimum stay). I think it's asinine for a fighter on a 4 fight winning streak (all finishes) to just up and leave the camp they're in to "shake up" their training routine. Why the heck would you want to shake up your training routine when you're at a high point of your career? Pro athletes are ridiculously superstitious. No one in their right mind is going to blow up the very structure that (may have) led to their success.

I'd like to see some more interactions with your fighters. Rather than camp changes being random I'd like to be able to advise them to join a camp that trains an attribute they're weak at. Obviously it shouldn't be guaranteed they'd join but it would be cool to offer advice that they may take on board.

Also interactions with your fighters that increase your relationship with them and loyalty to your brand would be cool. Post event conferences asking about certain fighters and events that took place would add a really cool layer of authenticity to an already sweet game

Best thing by a milion miles is the new contract system

Worst thing is that the game now forces you to play one way, and once you realise that when you get to National there's zero challenge, it becomes zero fun.

Not having the ability to turn off injuries, not being able to run single day tournaments completely removes the ability to play different formats, and as a result there's no replay value.

The play by play of the fights themselves is also considerably worse than WMMA3.

I've not played either game for months now: WMMA4 is no challenge, but I can't cope with the contracts of WMMA3 to start a new game with a single night tournament as the base of each card.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="petecrimson00" data-cite="petecrimson00" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="39833" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not to mention I hate regens without pictures, just can't get behind them.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> See, I love the fact that the number of fighters isn't limited anymore by the number of pictures. I'm not on these forums much, but I remember asking for exactly this a couple of years back. I think it's great to see this in the game.</p><p> </p><p> The pictures are amazing, but right now I'm running a low level regional company. I can run that company using unknown, terrible regens that largely don't have pictures and come something close to breaking even. I could never have done that before. And I think it's more realistic. A tiny company is always going to be able to find a handful of half-trained/untrained guys who want to go in a ring and beat on each other.</p><p> </p><p> To answer the question, </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Good: </strong></p><p> </p><p> 1. You get all the fighters you need once the regens show up, allowing you full flexibility to run your company in the way you want.</p><p> </p><p> 2. Contracts are MUCH better.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bad: </strong></p><p> </p><p> 1. Still awkward to search for specific types of fighters and search for things in general. WMMA has always felt awkward here. IMO this game could do with a spreadsheet type view, OOTP style, where I can look at all of the fighters abilities and sort by them.</p><p> </p><p> 2. Creating fighters manually could be more flexible. I'll use that function, create 100 fighters, and maybe 2 of them are available and the rest haven't debuted. Some of the fighters I created aren't due to debut for 8 years... debut date should be one of the things you can customize.</p><p> </p><p> When I first played the game, I didn't think it was a significant improvement over 3. But now that the regens have shown up and given me a massive amount of fighters to pick from, I think WMMA4 is a lot better.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
would really love to have option to just click using arrows during contract negotiations, since most of the time when negotiating a contract you'd most probably need to do an increase, and its kind of a pain to type in that additional 10s or 20s or whatever.

would really love to have option to just click using arrows during contract negotiations, since most of the time when negotiating a contract you'd most probably need to do an increase, and its kind of a pain to type in that additional 10s or 20s or whatever.

I agree with that. It makes it more time consuming.

Best -

1: Game is much more streamlined, easier to play and faster.

2: Contract system is massive improvement over 3.

3: Fight engine is mostly very good with some small complaints like fighters getting knocked down too much and surviving the ground and pound flurry like 6 times in a fight(im guessing this is due to using a random seed to determine knockouts)

4: Rankings and momentum matter a lot more in booking cards.

5: New system makes it easier to develop scenes in new areas, I personally love newgens and regens so I dont have a problem with them like some.

Worst

1: The promised camp improvement feature which indicated that fighter quality would affect camp skill development doesnt seem to function which is disappointing.

2: Finances are too unrealistic, wages are way too low in general.

3: It is quite easy for AI to get to national, and as a result the top 10 can easily clutter up with champions from every weight class even if you are at high level international and have every single other ranked fighter. I really dislike this feature where national automatically gets you ranked over non champions and wish it was removed, also bringing back competitive credibility would be nice.

4. No single night tournaments for unregulated areas.

5. Cannot change the weight classes or much of anything in a taken over company.

• 3 weeks later...

New complaint after playing a new game for 10 years...

This game takes foooorreevvvvveeeerrrrrrrr.

I'm not even talking about the load times. Just going through one month takes me like 20 minutes, and I'm not even doing anything but clicking to my next event. The amount of fighters you have to re-sign and e-mails you have to read is unbelievable. Never play this game in a hurry because it's so frustrating getting an e-mail every single day you have to read telling you such pivotal information such as "So and So left camp" and "So and So completed his medical suspension." So annoying.

New complaint after playing a new game for 10 years...

This game takes foooorreevvvvveeeerrrrrrrr.

I'm not even talking about the load times. Just going through one month takes me like 20 minutes, and I'm not even doing anything but clicking to my next event. The amount of fighters you have to re-sign and e-mails you have to read is unbelievable. Never play this game in a hurry because it's so frustrating getting an e-mail every single day you have to read telling you such pivotal information such as "So and So left camp" and "So and So completed his medical suspension." So annoying.

I've already make suggestion to turn off these message, but so far never got any response. Between that and the "has finished the no contact phase"..

WMMA4 was billed as "faster loading times !" but honestly, I haven't see any improvement. Adam has said that he has added a lot of thing, and that's the "why" has the loading are not faster. But eh..

Playing with O+ the game runs like a freight-train. I also turned off the silly message that pops up every day. Better to just 'skip' the news and limit the time. Maybe I never saw that suggestion but I definately want to second. What's the point to confirm hirings if you set them to 'FULLY' DELEGATE?

But with the default db I think I've noticed some improvement to load times, but that might just be me. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived