When and how did you discover the TEW series

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a while since I've been in these forums.

Damn I remember the days when there was a really proper old school text game that came along before the EWR series.

Since then I was hooked on the games/franchise and followed Adam and purchased all of the TEW games.

I bought a couple of the WMMA games but just couldn't sink it's claws into me like the TEW games though :)

I had heard so much chatter about Steam from these young cats and self-proclaimed "nerds". Sometime last year, I gave in and thought I would see what all the hype is about. In going through Steam's catalog, I discovered T10. Digging deeper, I found the GDS homepage and T13. I knew then that it was the end of my XB1 days, and the outright death of my free time. Havent looked back since (except to rehash this account).

Started playing WMMA3 after reading about it on Sherdog or some similar board. I followed the dev. journal for TEW2013 and decided to check it out, and I'm so glad I did. Still more of a WMMA guy at heart, but TEW is such a great creative outlet that I couldn't do without it, even though I've never stuck with a save for more than 20 or 30 shows. :D

Assume you mean TEW 2010 and TEW 2013 since GDS nor Adam have created anything called T10 or T13

I had heard so much chatter about Steam from these young cats and self-proclaimed "nerds". Sometime last year, I gave in and thought I would see what all the hype is about. In going through Steam's catalog, I discovered T10. Digging deeper, I found the GDS homepage and T13. I knew then that it was the end of my XB1 days, and the outright death of my free time. Havent looked back since (except to rehash this account).

certainly dating myself here, but I originally got into EWR probably in around 2000-2001 and would go back and forth between EWR and Promotion Wars.

However, I actually FIRST started into the wrestling sim world with TNM, which was probably in the late 90s.

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled onto EWR, but I did go back and play EWD as well. Honestly I've been playing every version of TEW since it's inception, and it somehow manages to continually get better. I remember being overwhelmed when it first came out, but eventually the transition became well worth it.

Edit:

I just read the first page and I'm amazed that I'm not the only one who remembers TNM! I actually drafted Goldberg around the beginning of his streak in an e-fed...or maybe even picked him up as a free agent. It was a weird pickup for me, as I had the Triple Threat of, as I recall, Candido, Brian Lee, and Lance Storm.

I first discovered EWR in August of 2003 when ThriceP86 had found out about it and began playing it. I started playing it as well and my best save was with WWE where I went two years and was able to create my own company which was pretty sweet.

I heard about the initial TEW 2004 release and played the demo but didn't really like it so I stuck with EWR until 2008 when I finally caved and bought my first TEW which was the 2008 version. I haven't regretted it since although it did take a while to get used to because the game has a huge learning curve.

The way I discovered the game is a little odd. I was playing Baseball Mogul and I hated how unrealistic the stats were (There was one season where Barry Bonds hit one hundred and fifteen homeruns.). So in 2007 I was looking for a baseball sim and I came across OOTP. OOTP was everything I was looking for and so it got me wondering if there were other sports sims out there.

I went on Wikipedia and found the article about TEW on there. I tried the demo for TEW07 and I became a fan right away.

Strangely, I found TEW 2007 because of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. I was watching edit showcases on youtube for FPR and in the comment sections of all the videos, everyone listed TEW/EWR, WWF No Mercy, and FPR as the greatest wrestling games of all time. Then I found TEW 2007 and fell in love.

I found Football Manager and Out of the Park Baseball a bit over a decade ago and was hooked. I barely paid attention to wrestling at that point but was seriously into MMA. I found WMMA1 and loved it. Then I randomly decided to try that wrestling game that the same developer did. It was TEW 2007 and it was shortly before 2008 came out (within a month or so, I think the Diary was underway), but I still bought 2007. Then I bought 2008 when it came out and played the hell out of that. My interest in wrestling has waxed and waned since then, but TEW remains one of my favorite and most played games.

I liked the GM Mode from one of those SvR games. I was on a wrestling forum and there was a discussion about improvements we wanted to see when someone brought up EWR, explained what it was and linked us to it.

Got addicted to it, a Wikipedia search sometime later led to me buying TEW 08.

I met a guy in the WWF.com chat room that was playing Promotion Wars. I tried it. It was lacking Japanese wrestlers and I was on a big Puro binge so I figured how to edit the files and made a file update for it. Back then, EWD was out but I had no interest in it although looking back, it had a certain charm visually. I did that for a while, then EWR came out and kicked PW's butt so I started playing EWR and made file updates for that and I did that for a while. I was on the TEW development team for a couple years and had the idea for what became the storyline system remembering a book on dramatic authorship I read in college.

I still play TEW 2013.

Well, there was this dynasty community on Orkut that I lurked around to read everybody's dynasties, and for like, a full year, I was only interested in the game that they used as a base, and that game was called EWR. Only by 2011/2012 I was able to download EWR and try it out, but I never went too far with it. TEW 2005 was a better option some months later, but I never enjoyed it that much either. After the owner of the community made the first dynasty using 2010 in the community, I was curious. I tried the demo out and was really excited at the prospect of the game. In late 2012/early 2013 (I forgot when exactly), I bought TEW 2010, and after a Skype conversation with my friend, he called me a dumbass as TEW 2013 had come out already. So naturally, I bought TEW 2013, and I was amazed at how different and better it was than EWR.

I still load up EWR in some occasions, but TEW 2013 was what made me really fall in love with writing fantasy stuff for wrestling and made me find this great community, and even though my love for wrestling today isn't the same as it was before (I mean, wrestling today, not wrestling per se, my love for wrestling is still the same, but not for the wrestling of today), I'm still fascinated about writing and reading.

I came to the TEW series via Wrestling Spirit 1. Discovered WS 1 and after playing it for sometime, I decided to give TEW a go. Initially started with the Football and Basketball titles with 400 SS before migrating to GDS.

I first found a game called TNM by Oliver Copp, waaaaaay back in the day. Good program, but eventually found a game from Adam Ryland, EW9000. That was a long time ago too lol. Been following Ryland's games ever since. :)

This is the same for me, but EWR 4.0 was the first Ryland game i found.

Either my butler Jeeves recommended it or man's best friend lead me to it. Honestly, I don't remember. You become older and start to forget things. I just remember playing EWR 2001 and Extreme Warfare Revenge. Eventually Adam announced TEW and started charging for the game. I was too young to afford it, so I stopped playing. Nine years later, I purchased TEW 2013.

Archived