When and how did you discover the TEW series

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DutchMagpie
1. Started playing EWR.

2. Found out Adam was making TEW.

3. Been happily playing for almost 10 years now.

Same story for me.

I first found a game called TNM by Oliver Copp, waaaaaay back in the day. Good program, but eventually found a game from Adam Ryland, EW9000. That was a long time ago too lol. Been following Ryland's games ever since. :)

Same here :) I made a load of custom wrestlers and had little WAV files for their entrance music in TNM. Good times. Later found Promotion Wars, and I think someone recommend EWR, and the rest is history

I think I started with Promotion Wars back in the day; but didn't play any EW games un til EWR.

I think someone created an e-fed database for EWR with Primetime Championship Wrestling, Old School Wrestling and others involved. I used to play that before moving into the real world mods.

I was efedding (wow those were the days) and they used Zeus Pro to simulate the matches/edit to save time. A conversation started on a misc board about other simulators and Promotion Wars came up. When I looked into it I found EWR 3 (or whatever was before EWR 4/the last EWR) and that was probably 2002 or 2003. Then TEW 2004 was announced. I would have never guessed the game would still be going today if you asked me then.

Playing championship manager. Football and Wrestling are my favorite sports. Yes, I classed Wrestling as a sport. Still do, but whatever. I always had my football fix and I always wanted to run a wrestling promotion on a game.

I was lucky enough to win a copy of tnm7 ( I think that is what it was called) from Powerslam magazine. Their competition question was who won the first Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan match. For once, my name was pulled. I didn't really like it. Never played it much. Might have been too complicated for me back then.

When I finally got on the Internet, I did the wrestling promotion games search. EWD would have been the first Adam Ryland game I played. Totally forgot about Promotion Wars before I came to this thread. I know I played that a lot.

I had a look at earlier TEW games, I know I didn't like the setup. I remember trying one and there was just so many options scattered all over the place. Big improvement since then of course. 2010 was the first one I bought. I've played 2013 more than any other.

Belonged to a forum of a wrestling podcast. 2001-2002 watched as WWF took WCW and the cluster booking that followed. Extreme Warfare Deluxe was a thing as well as Extreme Warfare 9000 I think it was, had some mild fun with it. Around late 2002 Extreme Warfare Revenge was acquired and the game changed. Pumped loads of hours into that game before TEW '04 was released. That game I know isn't remembered fondly and maybe it's nostalgia talking but '04 is my second favourite of the series.

Started modding around '08, became my favourite game series since.

I was efedding (wow those were the days) and they used Zeus Pro to simulate the matches/edit to save time. A conversation started on a misc board about other simulators and Promotion Wars came up. When I looked into it I found EWR 3 (or whatever was before EWR 4/the last EWR) and that was probably 2002 or 2003. Then TEW 2004 was announced. I would have never guessed the game would still be going today if you asked me then.

That e-fed wasn't WCE, was it? It was the first e-fed I was ever in, and they used Zeus Pro at one point.

On topic, the first I ever heard of anything EWR related was when I was at a wrestling message board, and someone there would create threads for various booking scenarios using EWR. However, at the time, I didn't have my own computer and used the library as my means of getting on the net, so my fantasy wrestling had to be indulged via e-feds.

Even after I got my own computer, I was still heavy into e-fedding until none other than Kijar (who was a fellow e-fedder) pointed me into the direction of EWR, pretty much wanting me to try that out before I tried out TEW. I'll never forget running that first Raw (using the default 2003 database), and William Regal of all people complaining about Bubba Ray Dudley working too stiff. :D

Then I tried TEW 2005, which had become freeware by this point. After that, Kijar talked me into purchasing TEW 2010. I tried modding in 2010, but was still completely green to TEW, then started seriously modding for 2013, and the rest is history. My goal now for 2016 is to get the two mods I made for 2013 converted over to 2016, to get 1993 complete, then to get serious on actually playing the game.

I used to go to Rajah & The Oratory (the section they did their show recaps in) had a review of EWR. This was around the time when Big Show beat Lesnar at Survivor Series (and Heyman turned on Lesnar).

I still remember the e-mails you got from certain workers (personalized) when they were upset about something - like Nash asking for the book.

Ha! I remember Zeus Pro, though until I saw it I could never remember the name again. I was an e-fedder for awhile, but only ones from my "home" at that point of the old WWF Games Social message board on GameFAQs. I don't know what version of Extreme Warfare I started on. It was a full black screen and the matches were given to you as a few scrolling lines of dialogue at the bottom of the screen such as "X-Pac hit a legdrop!" instead of the block of text of ZP and Scott Keith ratings that was in other EWR, and the match endings were completely random; if anyone knows what version that was, you can tell me but I do not remember at all. But eventually I got onto I think EWR 3? I sunk a ton of my free time back then into EWR4.2. Since then, the only TEWs that I missed out on were 07 and 08, because I had gotten away from wrestling by then. The rest is ancient history.

That e-fed wasn't WCE, was it? It was the first e-fed I was ever in, and they used Zeus Pro at one point.

On topic, the first I ever heard of anything EWR related was when I was at a wrestling message board, and someone there would create threads for various booking scenarios using EWR. However, at the time, I didn't have my own computer and used the library as my means of getting on the net, so my fantasy wrestling had to be indulged via e-feds.

Even after I got my own computer, I was still heavy into e-fedding until none other than Kijar (who was a fellow e-fedder) pointed me into the direction of EWR, pretty much wanting me to try that out before I tried out TEW. I'll never forget running that first Raw (using the default 2003 database), and William Regal of all people complaining about Bubba Ray Dudley working too stiff. :D

Then I tried TEW 2005, which had become freeware by this point. After that, Kijar talked me into purchasing TEW 2010. I tried modding in 2010, but was still completely green to TEW, then started seriously modding for 2013, and the rest is history. My goal now for 2016 is to get the two mods I made for 2013 converted over to 2016, to get 1993 complete, then to get serious on actually playing the game.

Nope. The efedding that I did everything on was called @IW (I don't remember exactly what it stood for) It ran like the NWA. There were the @IW Championship belts but also federations that ran into it

NWE

SCW

UWA

Those three promotions formed the @IW. It was pretty cool and you had to pay to be a member. It was a blast. Eventually the owner James Greene and James Hunt quit and everything folded.

I'm pretty sure when I got back into Wrestling in 06, I joined Wrestling forum.

They had a wrestling games section and that's where I found out about EWR/TEW. TEW seemed to indepth and I played EWR, i was continually reluctant to make the jump as I loved the basicness of EWR, until I came across TotalTeamTalk's Youtube series on it. I was hooked, bought TEW13, and never looked back since.

Hm. When I was a kid, the forums I frequented threw up Extreme Warfare 2002. I remember messing with it a bit, but Extreme Warfare 5000 was the one that I really messed with. But Extreme Warfare Deluxe was the one I got all my classroom buddies into it, and we made custom guys, and booked each other to see who would win, etc.

I also remember being around for the EWR launch, it was a big midnight party, sitting in a damn IRC chat waiting for the download link from Adam.

I always wander back around the time of a new TEW release and pop-in from time to check in. Between WMMA, TEW, EWR and the original, I've probably played Adam's games for almost 20 years now.

Archived