When and how did you discover the TEW series

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out about TEW back in 2006'ish while playing Shootclub with Derek B and some other folks. I knew a little bit about it, thought it sounded stupid, and didn't actually play until 2008.

Almost eight years and a good couple thousand hours of playtime later, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Can't wait for 2016!

I was playing back in the EW days, and still remember what a big leap EWR seemed to be!

As such, I was aware of TEW, but didn't really have much interest in TEW when it first came out. I think it was a combination of the apparent complexity and the cost which deterred me initially. I started playing when 2005 went freeware, and that was enough to entice me to buy 2010.

I was introduced to promotion wars by a friend who was obsessed with it at the time, after a few years of playing that i discovered EWR and loved it. I started playing TEW2005 when it became freeware and loved it even more than EWR, brought 2010 and not looked back. Dread to think of the amount of hours i have poured into the games but they have kept me playing so much more than any other game has in years.

I was bored and searched for freeware games on wikipedia. I saw tew2005 and sinds i realy liked thewrestlinggame and general manager mode on smvraw at I tried it.

Gonna buy my first copy of tew when the new one comes out and I am realy exited to see the differences from 2005 till 2016.

2012, was randomly scouring the net when I came across the demo for TEW10'. Played the demo as ROF and was instantly hooked with the game world, although I only booked one show. Spent most of the time reading every news story in great detail and looking at worker bios. Came to the end of January and was bummed out that the demo was over and I had to buy the full game to continue with that save.

Out came the wallet. Made the purchase. About 2 months later, 2013 was released. Was annoyed. Still bought 13' on release though.

I was in an e-fed back in 2011 that was hosted on then-functional JustinTV called RCWF. One of the members was in the process of making a total conversion mod that included all of the members, past and present, of the e-fed on EWR, which prompted me into getting it. A few months after that, I learned about the TEW series, and sometime after the release of TEW2013 I used a Visa gift-card I got for Christmas to buy it.

Two-and-a-half years later, here I am, chomping at the bit for the newest iteration.

Loved GM mode on SVR. Many years went by without me as a wrestling fan following Benoits death. Came back in 2014 for cheap PPVs. Was on WrestlingInc forums discussing wrestling games. Said that I bought an Xbox 360 and SVR 2008 just to play GM mode. Random guy says I should have saved my money and got TEW2013. Looked it up and bought it same day. Enjoyed the living crap out of it to this day.

I was part of an e-fed, circa 2006, which had a forum dedicated to EWR diaries. I'd never heard of that before but it fascinated me; I quickly familiarised myself with EWR and quickly made the jump over to TEW2005. 2007 was released soon after which was the first game in the series that I played religiously, and also the first time that I gave the CornellVerse a go and got hooked.

There was once a database of wrestling simulators somewhere on the web (I think there was a forum to go along with it). But we're talking 2002/3 here so I can't remember the name. Stumbled across EWD and EWR and a whole host of other, less addictive stuff, and I've been on the ride ever since. From the days of being ridiculed on the .400SS forums for using the PBP from the original TEW (back when the W stood for Warfare) in my first diary to today. I feel old when I think that I've been playing a version of this game for 14 years.

If anyone remembers the aforementioned wrestling simulator database let me know what it was called - it's bugging me now.

It was 2004 and I had just bought Day of Reckoning on GameCube. I was really stoked for it and ultimately became severely disappointed with the game within about 30 minutes. Wrestling games seemed to be getting worse and I started to crave something different. "I'd love to play a wrestling game that wasn't kayfabe, I'm tired of wrestling games that are essentially legit fighting games." I can't remember the search phrase, but I landed right at TEW 2004, and my mind was blown. I was unemployed at the time, and this game absolutely consumed every bit of my day. Sun-up to sun-down. I still remember the tribal music that played when you were booking shows. Damn, I'd love to experience that for the first time again.

A friend told me about it, and eventually I tried it out. I found it much more fun and rewarding than EWR (which I was playing at the time), even if it was such a hard jump to make, as it takes so long to get into TEW.

I discovered it From EVR, while exploring, I came across TEW 2005. It was free and more detailed. I remember that there was always an Add for TEW 08 that would show up encouraging me to buy it. However, I didn't until TEW 2010 came out. Best $35 I ever spent. Since then, I've been hooked.

Archived