TEW2020 Discussion Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'd like to weigh in on this discussion, as it is close to something I've never been able to put into words.<p> </p><p> When we talk about hardcore vs casual viewers I think we leave out another group that would probably be called casual, but not by definition of how we talk. I can use myself as an example of this since I haven't been watching as much as I used to.</p><p> </p><p> I watched wrestling in the 70's really into it in the 80's, then around late 80's early 90's didn't watch it as much. What got me back into it was seeing Rey Mysterio doing his crazy moves (at the time) on a friends TV that was watching it. If not for the seriously great in ring wrestling on the same show I was watching, I wouldn't of got back into it at all. Never really cared about work ethics and such before, as in the 80's it was "bigger than life" wrestlers fighting giants, etc. The new guys caught my eye.. didn't know them at all.</p><p> </p><p> Anyways, I really believe a wrestling program doing some serious athletics, be it spot monkeys, cruiserweight style matches, just great in ring wrestling, or even great mic work that you can't seem to change the channel until over. I think these things can catch a persons eye that wouldn't normally watch wrestling. It wouldn't matter to them if it was a big name or not. </p><p> </p><p> I've never been able to explain how that could be emulated in a game though.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Whether its spot monkey stuff or slow pace technical wrestling, I think what you are describing comes down to quality which falls under show grade IMO.</p>

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SirMichaelJordan" data-cite="SirMichaelJordan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Whether its spot monkey stuff or slow pace technical wrestling, I think what you are describing comes down to quality which falls under show grade IMO.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes, I agree. This is what attracts a "casual" fan more than anything, I believe. Most non-wrestling fans know wrestling is fake, most don't know how much work goes into it. When they see something special (and it might not even be anyone actually famous in wrestling), it attracts attention. If this happens more than a couple of times, you end up with a watcher.</p><p> </p><p> Just don't know how something like that can be implemented. The way it is now, only the "hardcore" base ever watch's nobodies, and casual people watch only the big stars with lots of SQ. Mind you I'm talking in game. I would like that to change, but not sure if I'm actually saying it right.</p>

<p>Adam's latest developer post brings up an issue I wanted to suggest before the whole talk about National Wars exploded: Excursions. More specifically, being able to control when a worker goes on excursion, for how long, what area to and maybe even what promotion to work with.</p><p> </p><p>

To draw from a real world example, NJPW will send off its "veteran" young lions (those on the cusp of no longer being young lions) on excursions to work with linked promotions depending on their specific skills or shortcomings. High flying juniors are usually sent off in Mexico to work for CILL, technicians might be off to Canada or the UK, strong style folks might land in the UK or certain US promotions, others in need of entertainment/gimmick skill improvement will probably work for certain US promotions and so on.</p><p> </p><p>

Bringing the above example to the game and what I'm suggesting, I would like to have the option of sending a young lion on excursion as long as they're eligible, instead of waiting/hoping it happens automatically by the game AI. I would like to be able to control, or at least suggest to them, what region they should go to and for how long. I would like to send them to a specific company with a product and workers I think will be helpful, or at least send them off with guidelines on what to try and focus on improving. It would give players a greater sense of control and help with long term plans and development.</p>

<p>I really like the developments of company relationships. Sister relationships could provide an interesting dynamic -- the ability to send workers for development to a promotion that you don't own is going to be an interesting dynamic. It creates a more fluid game world that feels lived in -- which is something that I've always loved -- when the world feels lived in.</p><p> </p><p>

Do AI controlled companies initiate company relationships -- namely, can they/do they ask you to let them send you developmental workers? Or can they ask for you to send them talent? I love when I'm approached by AI companies for things, so I'd love it if they do.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="DarK_RaideR" data-cite="DarK_RaideR" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Adam's latest developer post brings up an issue I wanted to suggest before the whole talk about National Wars exploded: Excursions. More specifically, being able to control when a worker goes on excursion, for how long, what area to and maybe even what promotion to work with.<p> </p><p> To draw from a real world example, NJPW will send off its "veteran" young lions (those on the cusp of no longer being young lions) on excursions to work with linked promotions depending on their specific skills or shortcomings. High flying juniors are usually sent off in Mexico to work for CILL, technicians might be off to Canada or the UK, strong style folks might land in the UK or certain US promotions, others in need of entertainment/gimmick skill improvement will probably work for certain US promotions and so on.</p><p> </p><p> Bringing the above example to the game and what I'm suggesting, I would like to have the option of sending a young lion on excursion as long as they're eligible, instead of waiting/hoping it happens automatically by the game AI. I would like to be able to control, or at least suggest to them, what region they should go to and for how long. I would like to send them to a specific company with a product and workers I think will be helpful, or at least send them off with guidelines on what to try and focus on improving. It would give players a greater sense of control and help with long term plans and development.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think you may have missed the last paragraph of the entry, as this was explicitly covered as being in the game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think you may have missed the last paragraph of the entry, as this was explicitly covered as being in the game.</div></blockquote><p> Apologies, long day at work and my brain failed to register the final part properly. Only kept the "A Will Accept Developmental Workers From B" info from the list of possible relationships, which sparked my post above.</p><p> </p><p> Still, I would appreciate if you could shine a little more light on the "it's now for the company to proactively make it happen" part. Specifically, the extent of player control on excursions.</p><p> </p><p> I understand there will be an option to 'go on excursion and work for promotion X, with which we have a <em>Will Accept Developmental Workers</em> relationship'. If the relationship isn't there, are there any other options beside initiating a worker's excursion? And in every case, do players only get to launch the excursion or do they also have control over its duration and target region?</p><p> </p><p> Thanks and apologies for my misunderstanding earlier.</p>

No, if you want to send someone on excursion you need to have made an agreement with someone else where they will accept excursion workers from you. You can't do excursions without an agreement in place. You can then offer them workers whenever you like, and they can agree or reject each proposal. This will affect the opinions depending on whether they do or not. You control how long the excursion is proposed for and where it is to.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I really like the developments of company relationships. Sister relationships could provide an interesting dynamic -- the ability to send workers for development to a promotion that you don't own is going to be an interesting dynamic. It creates a more fluid game world that feels lived in -- which is something that I've always loved -- when the world feels lived in.<p> </p><p> Do AI controlled companies initiate company relationships -- namely, can they/do they ask you to let them send you developmental workers? Or can they ask for you to send them talent? I love when I'm approached by AI companies for things, so I'd love it if they do.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This would be awesome!</p>

<p>Super-excited for today's entry.</p><p>

With regards to excursions I wonder if this only applies to young lions and only to companies where the young lion system is in effect or whether you can send anyone away.</p><p> </p><p>

Would also be cool to see these one-sided relationships applied to worker relationships, too. Like, worker A hates worker B, but worker B has a neutral stance towards worker A.</p>

Guest skinsfan55
This new feature sounds really cool, but what if any benefit would there be to USPW sending workers to MAW or CZCW to work over putting them in USPW's own developmental fed?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skinsfan55" data-cite="skinsfan55" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This new feature sounds really cool, but what if any benefit would there be to USPW sending workers to MAW or CZCW to work over putting them in USPW's own developmental fed?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I imagine it'd be like EVOLVE using Fabian Aichner & The Street Profits. Workers only get so much time for shows on development so with this, it brings the option to farm workers out if you/the development fed don't have time for them at the point of booking.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MHero" data-cite="MHero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I imagine it'd be like EVOLVE using Fabian Aichner & The Street Profits. Workers only get so much time for shows on development so with this, it brings the option to farm workers out if you/the development fed don't have time for them at the point of booking.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yea I look at it like a football team sending a player to a lower league team to get playing time instead of the reserve team or come in off the bench in sporadic games.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MHero" data-cite="MHero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I imagine it'd be like EVOLVE using Fabian Aichner & The Street Profits. Workers only get so much time for shows on development so with this, it brings the option to farm workers out if you/the development fed don't have time for them at the point of booking.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It also applies to the way WWE has used multiple promotions in the past to send their young wrestlers to without it being a full fledged developmental (like DSW/OVW/FCW). HWA was like this, the Memphis era that had Danielson and Spanky as well. I’m also certain TNA had a similar deal with OVW for a short period too.</p><p> </p><p> If you don’t have the funds to run a full fledged promotion, it’s a great tool without needing to be a direct parent that has Uber control.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="n00kclear" data-cite="n00kclear" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Today's dev journal alone has made 2020 a must buy for me (love playing Japanese feds)<p> </p><p> I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Dude, I know! The relationships being updated is amazing. Not only that but the idea of having developmental deals without owning them? Awesome! Just makes the game world much more lively!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="n00kclear" data-cite="n00kclear" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Today's dev journal alone has made 2020 a must buy for me (love playing Japanese feds)<p> </p><p> I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Peria" data-cite="Peria" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Dude, I know! The relationships being updated is amazing. Not only that but the idea of having developmental deals without owning them? Awesome! Just makes the game world much more lively!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Question: Does this also mean you choose a company to send the worker to or is it an area?</p>

<p>This is an awesome change Adam, a couple questions though:</p><p> </p><p>

1) The AI will work to create these relationships on their own throughout the game, and that they respond to the player instantly, but does the AI initiate relationships with the user? Will a company like BHOTWG initiate with me if I was a regional company in Australia?</p><p> </p><p>

2) With the developmental changes, dev companies get notices about call ups so they can take titles off those guys or book them appropriately. Does the same thing happen for excursions? Since they are for a set amount of time, can an AI company who have a worker on excursion know to take titles off of or book a guy as if he were being "called up" on the tail end of an excursion?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="d12345" data-cite="d12345" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Question: Does this also mean you choose a company to send the worker to or is it an area?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I hope we can! I think it replaces the "excursion" feature. (Or perhaps expands upon it)</p><p> </p><p> Think of it like this... NJPW can send their younger talent to CMLL (Or RoH) to develop. Even though they don't own RoH or CMLL. This, unless Adam expands upon the excursion feature, is exactly what an excursion is. </p><p> </p><p> My only fear is guys that "refuse to go" like they do now, but I am sure the "to work down there" option will be present.</p>

Excellent news. Will be looking forward to this.

@Adam

Will the new engine make it possible to accurately recreate ratings battles between two head to head shows in America? I.e. Raw vs Nitro. Ratings were always skewed if the two rival promotions had other TV deals in other areas for their respective shows.