TEW2020 Discussion Thread

It's been stated but I was also curious if the feature to book individuals in action (without a defined opponent) or to have mystery challengers would be included? Also, just wanted to confirm that post-show matches would count (much like how WWE might do "big" matches just for the live crowd at shows).

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanna say if the multiplayer participants are worried about bonuses and negatives they should arrange for house rules before they start a game. As far as pre booking goes there is absolutely no point in turning it on if there is no positive aspects to it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just wanna say if the multiplayer participants are worried about bonuses and negatives they should arrange for house rules before they start a game. As far as pre booking goes there is absolutely no point in turning it on if there is no positive aspects to it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. It seems oddly backwards the way it's announced.</p>

With the new Pre Booking feature, will we see the return of "to be announced" from TEW 2010? That way you could advertise a worker being in action like they did pre monday night wars without advertising a squash match.

Pre booking does not increase attendances, it can only reduce them - this is because the attendance is already based on the assumption that you're providing the best quality card you can and so it's at its maximum by default.

Without a give and take as far as attendance boost/decline, this feature almost feels moot. If an indy company advertises a big enough name to appear at their show, it would boost attendance. If that individual were to no show, then the show quality and company prestige would take a hit.

There's no bonuses because TEW by default assumes you are pre-booking and advertising every show. With some of the features like increase in attendance when you book bigger stars on your show, the game already accounts for this sort of thing. I can see an argument for bonuses in very extreme scenarios when you have an incredibly hyped up card or storyline but what you guys are wanting bonuses for are built into the game already from what I understand...

It'd be extremely unfair on people who aren't playing with the feature turned on if you have a bonus.

A scenario where two players book identical shows but one gets a 10% bigger crowd just because he or she is using mandatory pre booking would be silly - especially in a multiplayer game, where it's going to give a significant advantage over time for the player who has the feature turned on.

You'd effectively be handing any competent booker a constant bonus to their attendance just for being organised.

I don't see how it would be unfair for two main reasons:

1. Since there is no online multiplayer anyway, people who play multiplayer must trust each other enough that they can set the ground rules for their save.
  2. Using this feature also has a penalty. Wouldn't it be unfair for one of the players to be penalized for something the other player won't? It is a clear pain/gain situation where one can get a penalty for something, but if they do that extra work they get that extra something.

There's no bonuses because TEW by default assumes you are pre-booking and advertising every show. With some of the features like increase in attendance when you book bigger stars on your show, the game already accounts for this sort of thing. I can see an argument for bonuses in very extreme scenarios when you have an incredibly hyped up card or storyline but what you guys are wanting bonuses for are built into the game already from what I understand...

If the game accounts for that sort of thing, that this feature is redundant/useless, and from an outside perspective, it seems like the game is ignoring a big part of booking a company. Having surprises/announcing things in advance is such a big thing in entertainment in general, not just wrestling, that I really fail to see why it should be assumed that everything is setup perfectly beforehand. I could understand it in 2016, because there was the decision to remove bonuses/penalties for pre-booking, but with it making a comeback, it seems like a rather incomplete feature, for something that could/should have a big impact in people's games if they chose to.

But these are just my two cents.:D

I don't see how it would be unfair for two main reasons:

1. Since there is no online multiplayer anyway, people who play multiplayer must trust each other enough that they can set the ground rules for their save.
  2. Using this feature also has a penalty. Wouldn't it be unfair for one of the players to be penalized for something the other player won't? It is a clear pain/gain situation where one can get a penalty for something, but if they do that extra work they get that extra something.

If the game accounts for that sort of thing, that this feature is redundant/useless, and from an outside perspective, it seems like the game is ignoring a big part of booking a company. Having surprises/announcing things in advance is such a big thing in entertainment in general, not just wrestling, that I really fail to see why it should be assumed that everything is setup perfectly beforehand. I could understand it in 2016, because there was the decision to remove bonuses/penalties for pre-booking, but with it making a comeback, it seems like a rather incomplete feature, for something that could/should have a big impact in people's games if they chose to.

But these are just my two cents.:D

LvFRi89.jpg

I agree with this. Getting a bonus for booking what’s already expected is redundant. Only type of bonus that make sense is being rewarded for booking a hot story line.

A few questions for Adam on the pre-booking if I may?

Does the game take into account circumstances outside of your control in not delivering a pre-booked segment (e.g. worker gets injured or dies)?

Is there any penalty or limitation on chopping and changing pre-booking (i.e. does the game ignore any pre-bookings that are removed or replaced as long as it’s done within the time constraints?)

Can you pre-book further in advance than the next show and/or event or could you start to book your “Season Finale” show three months out while still also pre-booking the next smaller event (I’m thinking here of the build to Wrestlemania prior to the Rumble - you wouldn’t classify the Rumble as small or throwaway so keen to understand if it’s possible? Ideally treating the next Finale as a separate entity would allow real long term booking (eg Cena/Rock from a few years back) without impacting on the rest of your ore-booking.

Do you have to pre-book all participants in a match or can we use mystery opponent or mystery partner(s)? Likewise can you pre-book someone’s participation in a multi man match without announcing everyone (e.g Royal Rumbles)?

Sorry, that was a lot! Love the feature being brought back and want to understand the scope!

Can you pre-book further in advance than the next show and/or event or could you start to book your “Season Finale” show three months out while still also pre-booking the next smaller event

I won't attempt to answer all of your questions as I'm not Adam, but at the moment you can book named shows at any time - so if you're on 1st January and want to pre-book Rumble and Mania, you can certainly do that. What you aren't able to do in 2016 is book the 2019 and 2020 Manias at the same time - the game will take any matches booked as being set for the next show. Once that show has passed, you can start making bookings for the next show, as WWE did with Cena/Rock the night after WM27.

I agree with this. Getting a bonus for booking what’s already expected is redundant. Only type of bonus that make sense is being rewarded for booking a hot story line.

It's far more complicated than this. I don't agree with blanket pre-booking bonuses/penalties, but we do need a new system that tracks how long and how often people are on camera and gives us momentum bonuses for keeping people off camera and then bringing them back into hot storylines/segments. The counterbalance is morale.

I would also like to be able to have far more financial control over my company, what matches I advertise, and don't how much I spend on advertising, administrative expenses, what my overhead is, etc. I don't like the fact that the game assumes, and I feel that the majority of the reason people go out of business in this game is because they aren't allowed to properly control their costs when they jump to cult.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hammerglenn" data-cite="hammerglenn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> </p><p> Without a give and take as far as attendance boost/decline, this feature feels moot. If an indy company advertises a big enough name to appear at their show, it would boost attendance.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> x100</p>

<p>Typically with this game, after i get a few sandbox games out of the way, I will create house rules for my games. My current house rule is that I can't employ anyone who is employed elsewhere and if someone signs elsewhere (exception for touring deals) I have to let them go. Do I get any bonus for this or my other house rules? No, of course not (other than not having to deal with scheduling conflicts that is) So why do I have them? Because they create a challenge, they make each game different, they force me to explore the cornellverse and sign guys I normally wouldn't.</p><p> </p><p>

So why follow strict booking if there's no bonus? because it makes the game more challenging and forces you to have to adapt to injuries/workers leaving in different ways. And if you don't want to you don't have to. sounds good to me.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="D16NJD16" data-cite="D16NJD16" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>x100</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This already exists, it was "#38: Stars and attendance levels" in the Journal. Without pre-booking, how would the game know to give you a boost for having a star wrestling on it, if you didn't advertise or "pre-book" it in the background in the first place? The game world operates on a level of assuming that you are advertising and pre-booking your match ups. Not saying that there should absolutely be no bonuses for good pre-booking, but you're looking at it the wrong way.</p><p> </p><p> Also, a lot of the arguments of "what's the point of this feature?" don't make much sense... the same arguments can be applied to something like the "repetitive booking" feature. It doesn't give you any benefit, and only punishes you. Why have the feature? It makes our simulation game more realistic.</p>

<p>I do absolutely love the (re)addition of mandatory pre-booking. But I also feel like you should at least get occasional attendance boosts, for example when you book a really out of the box angle or a big time match-up.</p><p>

Also, having storyline heat play into this (like in TEW 2014? or was ist 16?) would be amazing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bojan" data-cite="Bojan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I do absolutely love the (re)addition of mandatory pre-booking. But I also feel like you should at least get occasional attendance boosts, for example when you book a really out of the box angle or a big time match-up.<p> Also, having storyline heat play into this (like in TEW 2014? or was ist 16?) would be amazing.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Essentially you *are* getting a bonus. If you do really well you get close to 100% of your max potential attendance whereas if you only do ok you get less. </p><p> </p><p> I think the " issue " is that Adam was 100% transparent of how the background mechanic works rather than presenting the game effect (if you do pre-book really well you draw more than if you dont and if you turn the feature off the game assumes you prebooked perfectly).</p><p> </p><p> Personally I prefer the transparency as we can then get into a discussion of what merits getting 100% potential attendance (big time match, hot angle, etc...) and what shouldnt.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It'd be extremely unfair on people who aren't playing with the feature turned on if you have a bonus. <p> </p><p> A scenario where two players book identical shows but one gets a 10% bigger crowd just because he or she is using mandatory pre booking would be silly - especially in a multiplayer game, where it's going to give a significant advantage over time for the player who has the feature turned on.</p><p> </p><p> You'd effectively be handing any competent booker a constant bonus to their attendance just for being organised.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hi Adam</p><p> </p><p> I asked a couple of questions yesterday one of which someone else also asked but I neglected to link them to your post which is probably why you haven’t seen them / responded.</p><p> I thought I would send them again in a reply to your last post to correct this.</p><p> </p><p> 1. If pre booking is switched on will this affect the AI booking or will the AI book as before without pre booking.</p><p> </p><p> 2. If you have pre booking on and your booking a TV show the night after an event like Monday Night Raw after a PPV, will that show be treated differently in regards to the penalties as these shows can’t realistically be booked a day in advance and so seems unfair to get penalised. This is especially true when you consider that usually the boost that these shows get from people tuning in for the fallout from the Event the night before would balance out the lack of any pre booked matches / angles etc. </p><p> </p><p> Given that we cannot book after the event the night before, if nothing else could these specific TV shows allow matches to be booked on the day prior to the show without penalties to better simulate reality.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Thanks</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Pre booking does not increase attendances, it can only reduce them - this is because the attendance is already based on the assumption that you're providing the best quality card you can and so it's at its maximum by default.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Then what's the point? As hammerglenn posted a little further up, a company announcing a star that is more popular than the company size should boost attendance for the show if they've been announced in advance. </p><p> </p><p> Also how will this work with mass TV tapings? If you tape a match three weeks in advance from a taping does that count towards pre-booking to when it airs on TV?</p>

<p>Shouldn't a TV show a day after a PPV be enough to offer an attendance boost? Look at Raw and SD after Mania. The crowd is hyped at the start.</p><p> </p><p>

Compare that to the shows after Super Showdown which are likely to be lower.</p><p> </p><p>

Maybe there should be a small link to event prestige etc</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> IF IT DOESN'T MAKE THE GAME INTO BABBY MODE THEN IT SHOULD BE REMOVED</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Why even play any game at all if you don't want mechanics that challenge you? The amount of blowback on this very simple idea, and from some of the forum "celebrities," is astounding to me.</p><p> </p><p> It's also optional, so, y'know, save your air for something else.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="joemurphy" data-cite="joemurphy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Then what's the point? As hammerglenn posted a little further up, a company announcing a star that is more popular than the company size should boost attendance for the show if they've been announced in advance. <p> </p><p> Also how will this work with mass TV tapings? If you tape a match three weeks in advance from a taping does that count towards pre-booking to when it airs on TV?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Speaking of tapings, can spoilers get out for those? If you have a star appear on the taping or an interesting title match, word could get out and the amount of TV viewers would increase.</p>

Then what's the point? As hammerglenn posted a little further up, a company announcing a star that is more popular than the company size should boost attendance for the show if they've been announced in advance.

I disagree with your point here.

Let's say the 'max attendance' WWE could get for a Raw right now is if Brock Lesnar is booked. Since he is already on the roster TEW fans assume he will be on the show from the jump. When you pre-book your segments and leave him off, your attendance levels should take a hit, because a popular member of your roster is being said to not be there.

However when you pre-book your segments and have him on the show, then your attendance should be at the maximum level (as seeing Brock is the max fan expectation for a WWE show).

The only way you deserve a boost to the max is if you put someone who is not on your roster on your show, like via local signing or talent trade. Since you haven't promoted that talent however you should and would get no boost in attendance. Hence the point of promoting stars in advance. WCW wasn't directly getting boosts in Monday Nitro's attendance for those surprise ex-WWF guys popping up in the crowds.

Another example would be if CM Punk showed up at AEW Double or Nothing. He was not promoted so the fans that Punk would've drew to the show wouldn't have been there. However if they signed him in advance and said he would be there then that would have increased the show's attendance to the new maximum level because he is increasing the company's drawing power.

If they signed Punk but then didn't use him that would beget a penalty.

I think the idea of the new system is sound...

I disagree with your point here.

Let's say the 'max attendance' WWE could get for a Raw right now is if Brock Lesnar is booked. Since he is already on the roster TEW fans assume he will be on the show from the jump. When you pre-book your segments and leave him off, your attendance levels should take a hit, because a popular member of your roster is being said to not be there.

However when you pre-book your segments and have him on the show, then your attendance should be at the maximum level (as seeing Brock is the max fan expectation for a WWE show).

The only way you deserve a boost to the max is if you put someone who is not on your roster on your show, like via local signing or talent trade. Since you haven't promoted that talent however you should and would get no boost in attendance. Hence the point of promoting stars in advance. WCW wasn't directly getting boosts in Monday Nitro's attendance for those surprise ex-WWF guys popping up in the crowds.

Another example would be if CM Punk showed up at AEW Double or Nothing. He was not promoted so the fans that Punk would've drew to the show wouldn't have been there. However if they signed him in advance and said he would be there then that would have increased the show's attendance to the new maximum level because he is increasing the company's drawing power.

If they signed Punk but then didn't use him that would beget a penalty.

I think the idea of the new system is sound...

I guess my only point here, however, is that the surprise pop of debuting the worker should also be a bonus to his momentum and segment grade. This way you can trade near-term gains for potential ones.