TEW2020 Discussion Thread

Will TEW 2020 have a nickname option? I'm always confused about which naming convention to use in relation to characters who go by a nickname. Let's take Bret the Hitman Hart, for instance. Do you include the nickname as part of his full name? Add "the Hitman" as his short name? Would be interesting to see how others do it in their 2016 saves

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will TEW 2020 have a nickname option? I'm always confused about which naming convention to use in relation to characters who go by a nickname. Let's take Bret the Hitman Hart, for instance. Do you include the nickname as part of his full name? Add "the Hitman" as his short name? Would be interesting to see how others do it in their 2016 saves

Think those ususlly get just get tossed into people bios

For me, it depends on the wrestler, really. For Bret, I use Bret "Hitman" Hart. But, for instance, Shawn Michaels is just Shawn Michaels. But Jim Duggan is Hacksaw Jim Duggan. I think I also use Macho Man Randy Savage. Jake the Snake Roberts obviously. It's a case by case thing.

You can also use the short names to help as well

For instance Randy Savage could be the default name, but “Macho Man” could be his short name, and then in promo segments it could be used as such. “Hitman” wasn’t really used in that way, whereas Hacksaw Jim Duggan pretty much was always said in full.

They didn't have WCW money... There was no WCW money left, as it was in the deep red.

Hogan, Nash, Hall, and Goldberg had Time Warner money just to sit back, drink a little piña colada and have a bunch of siestas along the shores in Panama City Beach. :D:p

Distinction noted, still somebody had to pay them to chill lol.

Making long term deals cost much more keeps the checks and balances in place so good all around then.

It will be cool if they added something to make the contracts more realistic. What we have this year is great but something that might work better is implementing a bonus system where bonus money is guaranteed or a downside guarantee where they get 20% of the contract no matter what. That way when you buy out a contract you need to pay the bonus or the downside.

6 months helps, for sure. But if you sign someone to a 10 year deal and release him 3 months later for 6 months pay.... That's bit crazy.

But if you sign someone to a 10 year deal and release him 3 months later for 6 months pay.... That's bit crazy.

Like signing Gallows and Anderson to 5 year contracts and releasing them after 6 months and only having to pay them 3 months severance. It's crazy but it's realistic.

But if you sign someone to a 10 year deal and release him 3 months later for 6 months pay.... That's bit crazy.

Why? They got half a year to look for another job. That's more than time enough. As far as the business end goes: people change their mind alle the time.

You can arguably say it's crazy to sign any 10 year deal, but that's competely separate from the release fee.

WWE does this all the time, they pick someone up for a five year contract (ten years is an extreme thing you won't often seen that type of thing.) Then a year or two in they have nothing for the wrestler, or they have attitude issues, or whatever else happens. They let them go and pay them 90 days of their downside agreement. That is what the 90 day no compete thing does. They get 90 days of pay and can't work in any company with TV or PPV. Now this part hasn't been added and I'm sure would be a nightmare to code, but having to pay out the whole contract is pretty extreme.

The only guarantee in any WWE contract is the downside, and royalty percentages. Anything above that is based on your work and place on the card.

TLDR; The new system brings it more in line to what happens in real life then it was before.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It isn't, because the workers will want significantly more money to sign a very long deal. There's still checks and balances in place.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> In 2016 that was not the case. Sign on fees were basically maxed out at 125,000. In the new game will that change?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hyretic" data-cite="hyretic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Like signing Gallows and Anderson to 5 year contracts and releasing them after 6 months and only having to pay them 3 months severance. It's crazy but it's realistic.</div></blockquote><p> We don't know that for sure. We just know they have a 3 month paid, no complete clause. They could easily have to be paid a downside guarantee or a bonus. </p><p> </p><p> A severance can't stop you from working elsewhere. It's a we'll pay you to lose a little name value clause. And we know it's waiveable as well. </p><p> </p><p> NFL works with the bonus plus contract. You're guaranteed your bonus but your contract pay can be terminated whenever.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="natey2k4" data-cite="natey2k4" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>We don't know that for sure. We just know they have a 3 month paid, no complete clause. They could easily have to be paid a downside guarantee or a bonus. <p> </p><p> A severance can't stop you from working elsewhere. It's a we'll pay you to lose a little name value clause. And we know it's waiveable as well. </p><p> </p><p> NFL works with the bonus plus contract. You're guaranteed your bonus but your contract pay can be terminated whenever.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> When a WWE wrestler is released early, they are given a 90 day notice where they are paid their downside guarantee for 90 days. They do not actually have a non compete clause. The clause says that if they work for anyone else during that 90 days, they forfeit the remaining money they are owed. </p><p> </p><p> NFL contracts are guaranteed with the plus -- not the bonus. You sign for 100 million with 45 million guaranteed, you're going to be paid that 45 no matter what. Bonuses in the NFL are incentives where you get paid more for meeting performance metrics.</p>

When a WWE wrestler is released early, they are given a 90 day notice where they are paid their downside guarantee for 90 days. They do not actually have a non compete clause. The clause says that if they work for anyone else during that 90 days, they forfeit the remaining money they are owed.

NFL contracts are guaranteed with the plus -- not the bonus. You sign for 100 million with 45 million guaranteed, you're going to be paid that 45 no matter what. Bonuses in the NFL are incentives where you get paid more for meeting performance metrics.

Sorry, I was mixing up the terms because I mentioned bonuses earlier.

But I still would need to see proof that WWE contracts don't have more written in them. I doubt people are signing 5 year deals with only 90 days of guaranteed money. They must, at the very least, come with large signing bonuses.

Sorry, I was mixing up the terms because I mentioned bonuses earlier.

But I still would need to see proof that WWE contracts don't have more written in them. I doubt people are signing 5 year deals with only 90 days of guaranteed money. They must, at the very least, come with large signing bonuses.

Well there are many contracts out there and if you want to send me a PM I can send you links as to not clog up the 2020 discussion thread with off topic conversations, but suffice to say that WWE talent sign contracts that have minimum downside guarantees per year that also provide them bonus incentives for being on shows (which is why guys don't want to sit at home. If you sit at home like Brodie Lee had to, you're only getting your minimum downside and not making above that). The contracts contain explicit language (again, send me a PM if you would like to see contracts -- they have been filed publically with the SEC) that state that WWE can terminate the contract with a 90 day written notice. Those 90 days you are paid out like you would normally paid. At the end of the 90 days, WWE has to give you any merchandise money they still owe you and then you are done. WWE contracts do not come with large signing bonuses.

Adam's six-month is twice the length that WWE has to pay out. He has also said that guys will want more money for longer deals -- by nature making you have to spend more money to get out of a deal you don't want to be in (because if a guy wants say, ten thousand more a month [making up the number] because you're wanting to sign him to six years instead of three [again, completely making up numbers because I don't know], you'll have to pay six months of the that higher amount.

A copy of Stephanie McMahon's contract

11.1 (a) This Agreement may be terminated by PROMOTER during the Term for any or no reason whatsoever by providing WRESTLER at least ninety (90) advance written notice of said termination. The ninetieth (90th) day shall be defined as the “Termination Date”.

(d) In the event of a termination pursuant to Section 11.1(a) or Section 11.1(b), PROMOTER shall be obligated to pay WRESTLER a pro-rated portion of the Minimum Annual Compensation up until the Termination Date

Basically saying they can let you go with 90 days notice and only have to pay your downside to the termination date, not to the end of the contract. It's hard to believe I know, but WWE's position in the wrestling world allows them to offer contracts so heavily weighted in their favour.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hyretic" data-cite="hyretic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1091907/000109190713000015/exhibit1017bookingagreement.htm" rel="external nofollow">A copy of Stephanie McMahon's contract</a><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I love how they'll use the term Wrestler in their legally binding contracts but will never call them Wrestlers on TV...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Why? They got half a year to look for another job. That's more than time enough. As far as the business end goes: people change their mind alle the time.<p> </p><p> You can arguably say it's crazy to sign any 10 year deal, but that's competely separate from the release fee.</p></div></blockquote><p> It's 3 months, not half a year. </p><p> </p><p> And that's all I'm saying. Is these contracts probably have bonus, release fee, or something added in. At least bigger value free agents.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hyretic" data-cite="hyretic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1091907/000109190713000015/exhibit1017bookingagreement.htm" rel="external nofollow">A copy of Stephanie McMahon's contract</a><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Basically saying they can let you go with 90 days notice and only have to pay your downside to the termination date, not to the end of the contract. It's hard to believe I know, but WWE's position in the wrestling world allows them to offer contracts so heavily weighted in their favour.</p></div></blockquote><p> I understand that they only have to pay the downside for 90 days. I'd just be shocked if they didn't get a singing bonus or some kind of guaranteed money on long contracts. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe it's specific to certain talent like in other sports</p>