How do I book a Match Card?

Yeah... there's nothing to it as you're concerned with outcomes, not with composition of the card. There might be highs and lows for the crowd, but they just want to see some exciting fight.

If you want maximum gain from the card, try and book so you get one exciting fight on the main card. Two brawlers with slightly worn chins works almost every time to get at least "great". Furthermore you gotta be lucky somewhat. Where the fight is placed doesn't matter, your main event just needs to be marketable. That's it.

First of all, ignore the game any time it tells you a fight should be on the prelims. It's one of the worst aspects of the game. If you play about a year in-game, nearly every SINGLE possible fight on the card will either been a worthwhile main event or a prelim fight. It's laughably dumb. If you want fighterss to "get over" you should put them on the main card. I typically run 5 or 6 fights on the main card, and the same for the prelims, just for realism.

First of all, ignore the game any time it tells you a fight should be on the prelims. It's one of the worst aspects of the game. If you play about a year in-game, nearly every SINGLE possible fight on the card will either been a worthwhile main event or a prelim fight. It's laughably dumb. If you want fighterss to "get over" you should put them on the main card. I typically run 5 or 6 fights on the main card, and the same for the prelims, just for realism.

I do about the same as well. Though I tend to have a bloated roster so I have ten prelim fights every show.

Agree with you on that one...

My #1 ranked Super Heavyweight is valued to be on the prelims, while my #8 ranked is a possible main-eventer. Then why rank them like that?

Agree with you on that one...

My #1 ranked Super Heavyweight is valued to be on the prelims, while my #8 ranked is a possible main-eventer. Then why rank them like that?

Because the rankings aim to say who the better fighter is, not who is the most popular. It’s the latter which is how the game decides whether the fighter should be on the prelims or in the main event

Yes, as Alex said, rankings are about how good a fighter is, the guide to where to put them on the card is about how popular they are. They're explicitly measures of two totally different aspects. Just because someone is #1 in the world doesn't mean people want to watch them

You shouldn't ignore the guide, as it's telling you who has the popularity to draw viewers. If the game is telling you someone is only fit for the prelims, that means that headlining with them would be a boneheaded decision because their popularity is well beneath what you need to attract fans at your company's size and you'll get penalised. Often you'll end up with a handful of people who can draw and a lot of people who can't, just like reality.

Note that if someone is listed as being at the prelim level that doesn't mean you literally have to use them on the prelims (just like in TEW that someone being a Lower Midcarder doesn't literally mean you can only use them near the foot of the card). You can absolutely put them on the main card, just not in one of the main matches, as they won't have any impact in terms of drawing power. Judging by their advice, the earlier posters in this thread don't seem to have understood that part.

You shouldn't ignore the guide, as it's telling you who has the popularity to draw viewers. If the game is telling you someone is only fit for the prelims, that means that headlining with them would be a boneheaded decision because their popularity is well beneath what you need to attract fans at your company's size and you'll get penalised. Often you'll end up with a handful of people who can draw and a lot of people who can't, just like reality.

But if my #1 ranked fighter is set for prelims, then what's the point of having him as contender, if I'm going to get penalized for having fight for the title in the main-event, even if he is the best fighter? I mean, he IS the number ranked guy. Same if I use my #7 ranked fighter who is main-event potential, then I'll get penalized for using an undeserving challenger.

But if my #1 ranked fighter is set for prelims, then what's the point of having him as contender, if I'm going to get penalized for having fight for the title in the main-event, even if he is the best fighter? I mean, he IS the number ranked guy. Same if I use my #7 ranked fighter who is main-event potential, then I'll get penalized for using an undeserving challenger.

Building up the popularity of your best fighters is part of the challenge, just as it is in reality. Having champions / top contenders who nobody gives a damn about has been an issue for UFC in the past, there's no reason why the game would conveniently ignore that.

Building up the popularity of your best fighters is part of the challenge, just as it is in reality. Having champions / top contenders who nobody gives a damn about has been an issue for UFC in the past, there's no reason why the game would conveniently ignore that.

Exactly. Just look at the current strawweight champion Zhang Weili.

I get what you’re saying, but that’s something the UFC struggles with. Sometimes you get good fighters who just don’t become popular for a variety of reasons. Look at DJ, GOAT Flyweight, one of the P4P best to ever do it and they had to stop having him headline PPV’s because he was such a bad draw

Yes, as Alex said, rankings are about how good a fighter is, the guide to where to put them on the card is about how popular they are. They're explicitly measures of two totally different aspects. Just because someone is #1 in the world doesn't mean people want to watch them

Note that if someone is listed as being at the prelim level that doesn't mean you literally have to use them on the prelims (just like in TEW that someone being a Lower Midcarder doesn't literally mean you can only use them near the foot of the card). You can absolutely put them on the main card, just not in one of the main matches, as they won't have any impact in terms of drawing power. Judging by their advice, the earlier posters in this thread don't seem to have understood that part.

I can attest to all of this. Obviously me saying it won't have more impact than the actual game developer stating it, but, as a player, this is my own experience and the game is very realistic in that regard. A good example: I started a SHW division with nobodies, and obviously even the top ranked ones were preliminary card fighters. I promoted a few well known Heavyweights into it to give the division legitimacy and obviously they were established fighters, ergo, most of them were draws and not preliminary guys.

As some have said in this thread, even UFC struggles with some of their best fighters not being necessarily the most popular. So I think people are confusing the ranking as a measure of talent, versus the assistant's advice, as a matter of popularity. Obviously a promoter will always want the latter to headline, unless the actual opponent is so popular that you can place him against a bag of chips and still get a worthy main fight.

As I tend to use the advice of the game quite a lot to learn more about the popularity of my fighters, I realize it is extremely helpful in certain aspects, especially when comparing a good main event with a great one and so on. Straying a bit from said advice is obviously necessary, as someone being a prelim fighter doesn't mean he has to fight in the prelims forever, but one thing is being in the main card against someone in a "meaningless" spot, the other one is being in on a main event or one of the top matches.

Yeah. Seems like I should just ignore rankings and book however I want. I'm gonna get penalized anyways.

As I said before, you might get more gain from low pop fighters putting on a clinic on match slot 5 then filling it with boring fighters. The match accounts for 3% of the card rating. But they might give you 15% for the 'fantastic' fight. You'll gain, trust me... but there's never a guarantee in mma though.

Welp, this ended up turning into more than I thought it would. But thanks for all of the advise. I'm doing PRIDE FC, starting without any contracted fighters, any suggests who I should pick up (preferely anyone that isn't in UFC, cause most of their guys are exclusive)?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="WWZone" data-cite="WWZone" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47293" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Welp, this ended up turning into more than I thought it would. But thanks for all of the advise. I'm doing PRIDE FC, starting without any contracted fighters, any suggests who I should pick up (preferely anyone that isn't in UFC, cause most of their guys are exclusive)?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Depends on the database you're using...</p>