If you could make games full screen

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="goten1340" data-cite="goten1340" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47442" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you could make the games full screen i would purchase more of your games, and im sure a lot of people would too. please</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Am I alone in feeling like that would make these games a pain to play? Especially TEW where I like to have music open, as well as a spreadsheet and word processor so I want to be able to have quick access to the task bar and those tabs. When I play on my laptop, TEW does take up the whole screen and I need to keep hitting the windows button to bring up the taskbar and I hate it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Idolized" data-cite="Idolized" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47442" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Am I alone in feeling like that would make these games a pain to play? Especially TEW where I like to have music open, as well as a spreadsheet and word processor so I want to be able to have quick access to the task bar and those tabs.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yep, and many others feel this way too. They play while they do other stuff. Besides that, none of GD's games are super-hi-rez, graphics card busting experiences, so full screen would likely be wasted and not necessary. </p><p> </p><p> And lastly: Visual Basic 6 (likely the programming UI used for many earlier games on here) wasn't really designed for easy resolution switching/font resizing on the fly. The text and UI elements in VB6 are designed to be rendered in a fixed size and position to look best, so a full screen option would be impossible or very difficult.</p><p> </p><p> My current progamming language: It's more possible, but would involve degrees of trade-off as to how the UIs would be implemented (ie they wouldn't look very nice in some situations).</p>

I know this post wasn't directed towards me. But literally one or two days ago I posted in the TEW2020 discussion thread about how I DON'T want the next game to be full screen. I like how I have a section of the screen to use challonge or excel files open. I don't want it to take up my full screen & I don't want to need to change the resolution of my screen because it ruins other applications.

Am I alone in feeling like that would make these games a pain to play? Especially TEW where I like to have music open, as well as a spreadsheet and word processor so I want to be able to have quick access to the task bar and those tabs. When I play on my laptop, TEW does take up the whole screen and I need to keep hitting the windows button to bring up the taskbar and I hate it.

Yeah, same here. If it was down to anything I'd just want to have the option of Maximized Windowed mode (or Windowed Borderless).

That said, I disagree strongly with OP that this would result in any significant uptick in sales. I don't think there's anyone refusing to buy these games (which are in a pretty niche market) solely because they can't play in full screen.

Yeah, same here. If it was down to anything I'd just want to have the option of Maximized Windowed mode (or Windowed Borderless).

That said, I disagree strongly with OP that this would result in any significant uptick in sales. I don't think there's anyone refusing to buy these games (which are in a pretty niche market) solely because they can't play in full screen.

Same. I like to deal with that at max as well, especially in WMMA5. Actual full screen would be of no interest and just a pain. It would be super if we could set some of these settings in game, as to adjust its own resolution to adapt itself as we want it, but the full screen would just be a pain and I see no advantages from it. I don't think it would be worth the shot, considering most people wouldn't even use it anyway.

Just as long as I can keep adjusting the size with my resolution (and that the minimum requirements don't rise in a disproportional way, in case of future versions) to to put it at a decent scale, it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you could make the games full screen i would purchase more of your games, and im sure a lot of people would too. please

I understand it could be interesting to have the option but like many says, it's useful to not have it full screen.

Also, you can change your own screen resolution to have it fit the game lolll :D

If you could make the games full screen i would purchase more of your games, and im sure a lot of people would too. please

Hopefully you are reading this thread and haven't been discouraged, as everyone's intent was meant to be informative and not to belittle you or anything like that.

I seen it was your first post, and you haven't posted again (25 days later), so just wanted to welcome you to the forums, and say thank you for giving the community something to think about. Don't stop posting just because people disagree with one thing.

Honestly there are so many people that post on here in different sections, that a new name rarely catches the eye, as it's impossible to remember every name that posts, so you figure a poster such as yourself, has played a bit of say "TEW" and see that there are plenty of areas where you might want to look something up, compare some things side to side, or even simulate days/weeks/years and you have it running in the background while you do other things. There are lots of reasons one would rather not have a full screen window while playing most of these games. Obviously mod makers are going to want to be able to go back and forth between notes, charts, and other things they've made up to help make a database.

Anyways, just wanted to say welcome to the forums!

I'd at least like the option to make it full screen, I don't see why anyone would be against that. You don't have to use it, but for people who want it, why not? What's there to lose here?

That all depends on one small word with a huge meaning... "IF". If it was an option to go full screen and back to regular, I don't think you will find one person against it. You would probably find quite a bit of support to be honest.:)

I think most know that it's one or the other with what program is being used for these games. If the games were able to resize windows, it would already be in there, which is what I think is actually being asked for.

Everyone would be for it if there was an option to be able to scale the game however you want. I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to slide it over to take exactly half their window size, full screen it when really into it, and put it in the corner for working on a new database. These things are asked for in every iteration of the games, but until there's a way to do it, it's one way or the other.

I can remember last time it got bigger, the backlash from it was pretty big because quite a few couldn't play the game on their laptops anymore. I believe some have mentioned it for this time as well.

<p>I just can't decide if most people have significantly bigger or smaller monitors than I have.</p><p> </p><p>

TEW2020 takes up probably 60% of my screen. Certainly too much to make looking at anything else on that screen useful. If it weren't for the second monitor there'd be no real ability to use Excel at the same time. But the large amount of dead space is annoying.</p><p> </p><p>

I can live with the tiny game, but what I'd love is not to have to alt tab twice to switch from the game to Excel.</p>

Am I alone in feeling like that would make these games a pain to play? Especially TEW where I like to have music open, as well as a spreadsheet and word processor so I want to be able to have quick access to the task bar and those tabs. When I play on my laptop, TEW does take up the whole screen and I need to keep hitting the windows button to bring up the taskbar and I hate it.

I definitely agree with you Idolized.

I would also add, that I quite like the screen size being more compact. Maybe I'm just used to the smaller TEW 16 window, but if anything I like it being smaller so that my eyes/brain can process the whole screen at once.

WMMA5, at least for the resolution I'm using, is full screen (besides the toolbar, of course). I used to have a notepad open at all times when playing WMMA4 because I was always editing this and that but the game got better at the things I didn't like (like rankings) so I don't really need to do that anymore.

Here's a small, free app that allows you to create a shortcut that will help you to change resolution for a single game....when you use it, the game will run in the required resolution and then when you exit, it will auto return you to your normal setting without you having to do anything.

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm

I can't wait to give this a shot on my tablet! Thank you for this.

Try running Windows 10 on an 27" iMac 5k retina @ 5120 x 2880 resolution with TEW installed and running. You tell me how that's going to work. Lol.

I’m running it on my 5k iMac through parallels. I’d hazard to guess that those complaining about the size of the text are running at high resolutions.

/nod, hopefully that program Arlie posted will help JJ out. The size of the game is something the dev's have to commit to when making these, or we would already be able to change sizes, etc. SO the question is always when is the right time to make the game bigger. Those that have can't wait, those that don't would like to wait at least one more generation of the game.

I'm sure there will be a time when it's possible to just adjust it how you want it, but until that time we have to understand that the best option is the one that lets as many enjoy the game as possible.

I'm sure there will be a time when it's possible to just adjust it how you want it, but until that time we have to understand that the best option is the one that lets as many enjoy the game as possible.

Yep, and that's why I stuck to 1366x768 for my current game for GD, even though the survey I did indicated a decent amount would be fine with a larger res, like 1440x900 for instance. But most said they were using older laptops that couldn't go that high, or didn't care about a higher res.

I would love to do fixed 1600x900 or even 1080p, but that might shut out some users from playing, and since these are niche games anyway, i'd be hurting myself in the long run.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Idolized" data-cite="Idolized" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47442" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I’m running it on my 5k iMac through parallels. I’d hazard to guess that those complaining about the size of the text are running at high resolutions.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, that's me, however, I have a dedicated Win 10 partition on the iMac. Parallels, I basically use to run Win XP and 7 for testing.</p>