General Gameplay Questions Thread

Ticket prices also factor in.... the lower you have them, the more popularity you can gain as a company.  As a general rule, company growth is fairly slow (like in real life) unless you sacrifice financial gains for quicker growth.  Natural Growth Limits also play in, acting as a cap on how much you can gain per month in each area, which gives you a rough idea of how many shows you can run per month at any ticket price in order to keep growing :)

I started with a tiny company, and the top of my card are mostly established (read: older) workers - Doug Peak, The McWades, Savage Fury, Harry Allen, Clark Alexander, Acid, Chris Caulfield. And yet, if I try to trade with PSW, there is no interest even on guys like Caulfield or Peak. (Note: Caulfield is almost always in time decline, and so are the two teams, but even non time decline folks there is no interest for).

I understand not wanting the lower card guys as they would be unknown. What should I be looking at when setting up alliances so that the talent trades happen? Ideally, I want to run a few quarterly events where I invite other people over, or have the alliance titles on the line. But once I have TV shows, I think I would hit the cap on the loans when getting to those shows.

8 hours ago, CQI13 said:

I started with a tiny company, and the top of my card are mostly established (read: older) workers - Doug Peak, The McWades, Savage Fury, Harry Allen, Clark Alexander, Acid, Chris Caulfield. And yet, if I try to trade with PSW, there is no interest even on guys like Caulfield or Peak. (Note: Caulfield is almost always in time decline, and so are the two teams, but even non time decline folks there is no interest for).

I understand not wanting the lower card guys as they would be unknown. What should I be looking at when setting up alliances so that the talent trades happen? Ideally, I want to run a few quarterly events where I invite other people over, or have the alliance titles on the line. But once I have TV shows, I think I would hit the cap on the loans when getting to those shows.

The rejection message would give you the information on why they are not interested in your offer. It will either be something very specific, like expense, or "they don't think they're getting a good deal" which would mean you're offering a deal that isn't fair to them (because the person you're offering in exchange would be lower down the pecking order than the person you're taking). The trade by system is scrupulously fair in that as long as you're offering a deal that is legal and fair (in terms of roster position and money) the AI will deal with you; they never reject just for the sake of it or try and squeeze you.

Can someone help me figure out how to get an AI-controlled company to not go nuts on hiring people? I've been working on updating a mod, and in every watcher-test I do of it, there's this one developmental company that, after about a month, just goes insane and hires like 30 people a month and doesn't stop, to the point where after over half a year simmed, they'd have hired over 200 workers (and then eventually released about half of them)

I've tried planting some hiring rules on them in the mod in order to forcibly decrease the amount of potential workers (unemployed only, no foreign workers, etc.), and putting the owner's 'Roster Size' preference to 'Very Small' but in later watcher-sim tests, it seems like nothing changes.

Again, note, this is not the main company of the developmental hiring these people, the dev company is doing this on their own, filling their roster with much more workers than what they're losing to recalls.

Does anybody with more mod-making experience know what else could be done to solve this problem?

9 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

The rejection message would give you the information on why they are not interested in your offer. It will either be something very specific, like expense, or "they don't think they're getting a good deal" which would mean you're offering a deal that isn't fair to them (because the person you're offering in exchange would be lower down the pecking order than the person you're taking). The trade by system is scrupulously fair in that as long as you're offering a deal that is legal and fair (in terms of roster position and money) the AI will deal with you; they never reject just for the sake of it or try and squeeze you.

Thanks for the response, Adam. Most of the messages were due to wrestler style, which I think makes sense. PSW has a distinct style that my guys probably don't fit. I ran a test with some other companies (negotiating a friendly relationship first) and got a few positive hits like ("would be open to the trade"). This was just on the account relationship, not in an alliance. 

I will see if I can find 1 more trade partner and create the alliance that way. I appreciate the clarification. Despite it mentioning the style specifically, I was thinking "Caulfield and Peak are hardcore guys, PSW surely could find something for them!"

Under the finance section, I'm noticing a hefty amount of money under misc. and it's only labeled general. It ends up being a little over the amount I pay in taxes and, since it's in the millions, I'd like to figure out where it is coming from and how to reduce it.

10 hours ago, larz1695 said:

Under the finance section, I'm noticing a hefty amount of money under misc. and it's only labeled general. It ends up being a little over the amount I pay in taxes and, since it's in the millions, I'd like to figure out where it is coming from and how to reduce it.

You can't affect it. General Misc is based entirely on your profit margin and is used as a balancing agent. If you're getting a large number, it's because you're making an enormous amount of profit.

• Thanks 2

Has anyone else played the "WCW Goodbye and Goodnight" mod and found WCW inexplicably closes at the end of the first month due to their parent company (Fusient Media Ventures) closing or something?

I'm currently stuck booking Slamboree on the last day of the month and whatever I do, when the show finishes my company closes. I've tried using cheats to add money, but nothing stops them closing. Does anyone have any idea of how I can somehow sidestep this issue in PM mode? I'm happy to try anything to save my game, I'm really happy with how well I've booked the first month.

I have a funny feeling I'm juicy-fruited here, but just thought someone else might have an idea.

15 hours ago, The Nickman said:

Has anyone else played the "WCW Goodbye and Goodnight" mod and found WCW inexplicably closes at the end of the first month due to their parent company (Fusient Media Ventures) closing or something?

I'm currently stuck booking Slamboree on the last day of the month and whatever I do, when the show finishes my company closes. I've tried using cheats to add money, but nothing stops them closing. Does anyone have any idea of how I can somehow sidestep this issue in PM mode? I'm happy to try anything to save my game, I'm really happy with how well I've booked the first month.

I have a funny feeling I'm juicy-fruited here, but just thought someone else might have an idea.

Either remove the media group from owning WCW or add active broadcasters to the media group.

Maybe this is too big a question, but how do you start turning a profit with a small (but not tiny) company? Are weekly PPVs with minimal workers the best way to go? Should I create a tiny iPPV broadcaster (would take all my money but can afford it) and run shows on there? I'm playing with APW in Australia in 2010 and struggling to not go broke.

Quick question. I've got a CV97 game going as CGC. At some point I'm going to add the Canadian Championship as a title. The TV title is currently my secondary belt, which would be replaced by the Canadian Championship, so the TV Title would go down to tertiary. I assume those are the correct steps.

My question is exactly what is "floating" as an option? What does that do? How does it affect title prestige. I was wondering if maybe I should use "floating" on either my Canadian or TV title.

Thanks.

18 hours ago, StatboyVT said:

Quick question. I've got a CV97 game going as CGC. At some point I'm going to add the Canadian Championship as a title. The TV title is currently my secondary belt, which would be replaced by the Canadian Championship, so the TV Title would go down to tertiary. I assume those are the correct steps.

My question is exactly what is "floating" as an option? What does that do? How does it affect title prestige. I was wondering if maybe I should use "floating" on either my Canadian or TV title.

Thanks.

It removes the upper and lower cap that main, midcard and low have. So it can go from 1 to 100.

I usually have titles like the WCW World TV title at floating when I got good workrate workers that can deliver great matches.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, w4lru5 said:

Maybe this is too big a question, but how do you start turning a profit with a small (but not tiny) company? Are weekly PPVs with minimal workers the best way to go? Should I create a tiny iPPV broadcaster (would take all my money but can afford it) and run shows on there? I'm playing with APW in Australia in 2010 and struggling to not go broke.

When you're a smaller company, you're really leaning on your Sponsorship money, and that's usually a set amount per month that depends on your popularity (and product?). With weekly shows, you're splitting that money 4 ways. So the game feels financially designed around monthly shows, and you move to weekly once you can afford it. 

My usual method is to spend less on talent and cut my roster/shows to the bone. Go bare minimum. 5 matches. No tags (unless folks are working twice). Almost entirely unknowns, with a main event that barely counts as 'quality'. Locals only, to really cut out the travel costs. Once that draws a profit, then I increase matches/stars/bus fares. Most smaller C-Verse promotions have entirely too many high-priced stars to begin with, for my liking. 

5 hours ago, Kubikiri Asa said:

It removes the upper and lower cap that main, midcard and low have. So it can go from 1 to 100.

I usually have titles like the WCW World TV title at floating when I got good workrate workers that can deliver great matches.

That makes sense, thanks!

18 hours ago, Kubikiri Asa said:

In 2020, there is no cap on title prestige as far as I know. A world title can have zero prestige in 2020 and a tertiary title can have 100 prestige. 

Search seems kinds funky so I had a hard time finding an answer to this, but what makes star quality decrease? I have a few wrestlers in my prime that are losing star quality earlier than I'd expect. Their ratings are good-great and they don't seem to have anything obvious that would cause them to lose it over time.

17 hours ago, Saffir said:

Search seems kinds funky so I had a hard time finding an answer to this, but what makes star quality decrease? I have a few wrestlers in my prime that are losing star quality earlier than I'd expect. Their ratings are good-great and they don't seem to have anything obvious that would cause them to lose it over time.

Starting value was above the cap?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, ConcutioCaelum said:

Starting a new side save and hoping to something different. In my main, I run the typical 4 weeks of tv and then a PPV event. To try and avoid "traditional" tv, is it better to run weekly events, and at what intent level? I've messed around a bit with touring shows, but didn't care for the lack of popularity gains.

Are you setting them up as 1 event set up as weekly? Or 48 separate events? (Not sure if there is a distinction).

Why not try 2 monthly events, with some minor/throwaway events sprinkled in every so often for tournaments.

Question - how quickly does stamina improve if the wrestler is young? How long should the matches they work be in order to make it happen?

Edited by CQI13

I am almost certain this has been discussed on the board sometime in some fashion, but I can't find it via the search. So - could someone please tell me what exactly the power skill influences? Also is there any thread / document that shows all skills and what exactly they will influence? In most cases I suppose I know it already, but maybe there is something I am not aware of.

5 hours ago, arlovski said:

I am almost certain this has been discussed on the board sometime in some fashion, but I can't find it via the search. So - could someone please tell me what exactly the power skill influences? Also is there any thread / document that shows all skills and what exactly they will influence? In most cases I suppose I know it already, but maybe there is something I am not aware of.

There's an in-game manual.

The power skill does very little, if anything. AI WWE-type promotions are likelier to sign powerful workers. In earlier games it was a requirement for certain gimmicks, but that use has become obsolete. It would've been cool if it would allow certain workers to develop "power spots" as moves, but alas it doesn't do that. I think you can safely have a promotion relying on 1 power workers and not be hindered in any way.

• Like 1