Public Beta Reaction Thread

Wasn't this game supposed to have trios included? Or was that simply wishful thinking on my part? :confused:

I did a quick search of the Developer's Journal (using trios) and all I found was that in the new tournament tracker it will track trios tournaments and in a post about AI booking trios very well, I didn't see anything about updates to trios. There were updates to stables though.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I barely see anyone complaining about bugs and crashes. People seem to be pretty much on board with the idea the idea that we are helping test the game before the launch, including me.

The complaints I see are warranted concerns about the UI, product system, and quality of life changes. Here’s hoping Adam sees those criticisms.

I might make another more thorough and well thought out criticism post later, but for now I think this will suffice: This game is far from complete.

Plain and simple, the game isn't done.

People keep saying "oh, well it's a Public Beta"

Yeah, sure. But this plays more like an Early Access game on Steam, not a game that's getting a Full Release in ONE WEEK. In all honesty the game should be pushed back until it's worth paying $35 for. I'm very tempted to avoid this game like the plague for who knows how long and stick with 2016. It's a shame, because I can see flashes of brilliance hiding in 2020, but overall the entire game feels and plays like Great Ideas with Poor Execution.

Whether you or I think it should be pushed back or not (and I do I think), the fact of the matter is that you can put your $35 down when you believe the game is up to your standards. That's the beauty of an open market! Keep tuned to the patch notes! Adam was begged to put this out early due to Covid-19 and know he is receiving criticism heavier than ever before for not doing anything different to how every past release I remember has gone. I will be dropping my $35 I've got put back on it and not be starting a save until the community believes everything is up to a standard. I was one of the people mentioned earlier who freaked the hell out when I booted up WMMA5 for the first time so I have faith.

I did a quick search of the Developer's Journal (using trios) and all I found was that in the new tournament tracker it will track trios tournaments and in a post about AI booking trios very well, I didn't see anything about updates to trios. There were updates to stables though.

Oh. Well that's disappointing. I guess I willfully misinterpreted it then. Thanks for clarifying.

It saddens me that even after all these releases, Mexico can't be properly simulated.

I barely see anyone complaining about bugs and crashes. People seem to be pretty much on board with the idea the idea that we are helping test the game before the launch, including me.

The complaints I see are warranted concerns about the UI, product system, and quality of life changes. Here’s hoping Adam sees those criticisms.

There's no chance he didn't. That was probably the most vicious first 10-20 pages of a GDS launch I've been apart of haha

Wasn't this game supposed to have trios included? Or was that simply wishful thinking on my part? :confused:

I thought that too, Hive, but checking the journal is just stables and a tournament. Feels like it would be a worthwhile addition though. Trios chemistry and experience.

Oh. Well that's disappointing. I guess I willfully misinterpreted it then. Thanks for clarifying.

It saddens me that even after all these releases, Mexico can't be properly simulated.

It's not the same, but one way to kind of make trios work is for each one, make a stable containing all three and three tag teams for every combination.

There's no chance he didn't. That was probably the most vicious first 10-20 pages of a GDS launch I've been apart of haha

Yeah but I hope he sees the more level-headed constructive criticisms too and doesn’t just turn his back on some of those suggestions just because they were originally presented in by more toxic personalities. I personally have been playing his games since EWR, but this is the only time I’ve felt it necessary to really post on the forums about it. That’s how passionate I am about this game and the changes I am critical of.

<p>There is a lot about this game that I really, really like.</p><p> </p><p>

The new gimmick system is excellent. I love it and have already become firm in my resolve to set anyone who isn’t a Star or higher to the top right when getting a new gimmick to try and capture some lightning in a bottle. Already had some fantastic results (I’m looking at you Morgan Malone, ‘The Maloner’).</p><p> </p><p>

The match and angle booking screens are showing a lot of potential, broadly slicker and easier to use, with the exception of the list of RA notes not being scrollable with the arrow keys.</p><p> </p><p>

New contract system is so much better. Written, non-exclusive pay per show deals for Jack Bruce and Skull DeBones? Yes please. I love the versatility of it.</p><p> </p><p>

The UI though, still limiting my enjoyment and stopping me getting fully invested. I’m really hoping because Adam hasn’t addressed it publicly, that means he’s working on some adjustments. The skin mods already out have minimal impact on the areas that I find most off-putting so I’m really hoping for some changes if not for release then at some point down the road because I want to keep using a lot of the new features but I can’t shell out the money for it in the current state.</p><p> </p><p>

I think the biggest frustration is the skills panel when viewing the roster. Split them into their categories, with the in-ring stats next to each other (top row and fundamentals). You could even have two columns of skills in that same space so you don’t need to scroll (and scrolling throughout the game is unbelievably tedious to an extent I didn’t think something as simple as scrolling could be). Increasing the font size would also help.</p>

<p>Having played around with the game for 2 days now, I generally like it.</p><p> </p><p>

Some of my issues:</p><p>

1. I do not like the UI. I didn't like WMMA5 either, and they are obviously pretty similar. Some of the skins people have created have helped, but the text is generally way too small. </p><p>

2. I don't like the way you have to close windows. It's not even some atypical way of doing it, just for some reason it feels very tedious to me. I am hoping an alternate way of closing windows is added, such as right clicking or hitting ESC.</p><p>

3. Everything feels like MORE clicks than previous versions, despite attempts to reduce clicking. Maybe I just don't yet have a feel for the most efficient way of doing things.</p><p> </p><p>

The one thing that would be a deal breaker for me is angle booking. Filtering by perception (and hopefully other things also), and having a View Worker button next to each worker booked must be added.</p>

I was really looking forward to both play and mod this game (and had big plans for both) and really wanted to like it. But my initial reaction is that I won't be doing either.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of new additions and features that I really like (like attributes and expanded stable mechanics) - but not all of them are implemented well, and some feel like a step back.

Some main points of concern for me:

- The game doesn't look or feel like a game from 2020. The graphics are the same as since I first began playing TEW (think it was 2008) and the UI seems like a horrible downgrade at first impressions. Getting used to the new UI will probably help somewhat, but... wow.

- While the game has many improvements, the leap forward doesn't feel like the 4 years that went by between releases. I see more additions in game series that has yearly released, frankly.

- Some "must have" new features (to me) are missing. First and foremost, trios (yes, they mean that much to me). Mexico simply isn't represented properly without them. Why add new game areas (such as India) before fixing those that are already in?

- Modding is still not very user friendly considering they are a big part of the game. Sure, there have been some improvements - but I can't believe that creating title histories is still such a nasty chore. And how come I can't even use my mouse wheel or arrow keys to scroll through tables in the editor? No sliders for skills?

I will follow the game in the hopes that it will be improved in the coming months though. Because as I said: I really want to like it.

Quick question how come when creating a company now you cant make your own style instead of using a already made preset style of a company. For example the match ratio to promo ratio sliders has been removed is there a reason? Thanks

This has been answered a few times, probably only a few pages back man! I believe it was to do with the presets having the only products that really made a difference to the ratings and company growth and whatnot and it was cutting of the fat with Adam assuming it was a niche mechanic not many people used if I remember.

I was really looking forward to both play and mod this game (and had big plans for both) and really wanted to like it. But my initial reaction is that I won't be doing either.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of new additions and features that I really like (like attributes and expanded stable mechanics) - but not all of them are implemented well, and some feel like a step back.

- The game doesn't look or feel like a game from 2020. The graphics are the same as since I first began playing TEW (think it was 2008) and the UI seems like a horrible downgrade at first impressions. Getting used to the new UI will probably help somewhat, but... wow.

- While the game has many improvements, the leap forward doesn't feel like the 4 years that went by between releases. I see more additions in game series that has yearly released, frankly.

- Some "must have" new features (to me) are missing. First and foremost, trios (yes, they mean that much to me). Mexico simply isn't represented properly without them. Why add new game areas (such as India) before fixing those that are already in?

- Modding is still not very user friendly considering they are a big part of the game. Sure, there have been some improvements - but I can't believe that creating title histories is still such a nasty chore. And how come I can't even use my mouse wheel or arrow keys to scroll through tables in the editor? No sliders for skills?

I will follow the game in the hopes that it will be improved in the coming months though. Because as I said: I really want to like it.

Exact same attitude as me. No shame in being a loyal fan and having hopes of not being let down if you haven't had much evidence in the past to alert the spider senses. Grey Dog have always had pride in their work and relationship with it's community.

Just who was testing this? I think there's another journal entry where all the testers loved the new UI and said they couldn't go back. Did Ryland just grab a bunch of sycophants who'd tell him everything was great no matter what?

So much this! I just can't believe that every single tester legitimately liked the UI and nobody complained about it. If that's the case, they're horrible testers and shouldn't be picked to fill this role for any other game in the future. On the other hand, I also can't believe that Adam really thought the UI would be received positively by the players, irrespective of the feedback he got.

This is the worst user interface I've ever seen in a game that costs more than 5 bucks. Plain and simple. I've seen better user interfaces in trash games from 20 years ago.

I think that if the game remains such that I choose to skip it, the most tragic thing is going to be that really could have just taken a few of the key new features in 2020 - block tapings, editing chemistry in-game, attributes, a few other things - patch them into 2016, and I would have happily paid 35 bucks for it. But I'm like you. I'm keeping an eye on it. There's things I like a lot. And 2020 has sort of created this limbo where I can't play 2020, but the new features in 2020 also make 2016 feel dated, so it's also hard to go back. So, right now, I feel like I don't have anything to take my TEW urges out on.

I remain hopeful, though.

So much this! I just can't believe that every single tester legitimately liked the UI and nobody complained about it. If that's the case, they're horrible testers and shouldn't be picked to fill this role for any other game in the future. On the other hand, I also can't believe that Adam really thought the UI would be received positively by the players, irrespective of the feedback he got.

This is the worst user interface I've ever seen in a game that costs more than 5 bucks. Plain and simple. I've seen better user interfaces in trash games from 20 years ago.

My guess is that perhaps they assumed it was temporary and no one ever asked. That's the only other way this could've happened lol

My guess is that perhaps they assumed it was temporary and no one ever asked. That's the only other way this could've happened lol

yes, it seems like a functional skin for testing. the new paint of coat would be added once the engine is good to go. I'm still hoping for the swerve, bro.

yes, it seems like a functional skin for testing. the new paint of coat would be added once the engine is good to go. I'm still hoping for the swerve, bro.

GreyDogSoftware is proud to announce the hiring of former World Championship Wrestling and Total Non-Stop Action head writer and new P.R advisor, Vinceeeee... Ruuuuuusssssssso!!!!!

Some screens desperately need the lines for separation. Believe me, I've tried. Especially the ones with a big amount of rows and columns. You get completely lost.

The separators, or alternating coloured lines, are definitely needed, and that muted approach works much better. Within some of the screens having white text very closely boarded by 2px white lines makes reading the screen very harsh on the eyes. Some of the current screens can cause me to have 'eye floaters' and I have to look away from the screen for a short while before continuing. To be honest I feel like this is definitely something that should have been picked up on during testing, but I am assuming you were the only UI/GFX designer in the testing pool?

Idolized, I totally understand how a lot of the feedback this past few days can feel like a personal attack on yourself, especially when the negatives can feel like they far outweigh the positives, but most people will know that the screens were built around the limitations given to you by Adam. I very much doubt you had much input on font size and placements (for the most part) and were just doing as you asked. Without sounding arrogant, feel free to drop me a PM at any time to bounce ideas off if you need a sounding board. I have been developing software and graphic designing for close to 20 years, so please feel free to reach out at any time. Have a good weekend.

Can we get the search by decent in ring workers for example back, it made narrowing down searches so much quicker and precise.

Thank you so much for bringing this issue up, it was literally the first change I noticed after the graphic design layout. I really won't like having to do all of that manually as I like to check for free agents quickly every game day.

I wouldn't hope too much, at least not for the foreseeable future. I'm sure that Adam would've already said something if the UI was only temporary. Maybe he'll improve it due to the negative feedback, but that will probably take some time.

Still, I'm hoping for the same. I'd love to play this game at some point, but if the UI stays like this, I won't.

On Friday I posted in tech support about a bug involving workers names. Even after changing my workers names and them being right in the roster and booker screens, it would revert back to the workers original names in match results and history. I posted pictures to prove the issue and someone else even posted agreeing it was an issue.

Well the post has since been deleted from tech support and there’s nothing posted regarding a fix in the patch notes. As I can’t play for awhile can anyone say if this has been fixed or explain to me why my post was deleted without any response??? Thanks