Public Beta Reaction Thread

I have now playing for quite a while.

Game much more stable after patch.

The contract issue I had was my mistake.

To make your written contracts work like they did in the previous game they must be exclusive.

The game is harder, more detailed.

I am liking it alot.

If I wanted a game like 2016, I would have just kept playing that one.

I am looking forward to more patches but Adam did a killer job on this game.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2365871&highlight=grades#post2365871

With Fog Of War not being viable in TEW2020 due to some of the other changes, its direct replacement is Scouting. This is a very similar system, with a few crucial differences that allow it to work within the TEW2020 framework.

Whereas the old Fog Of War used a combination of grades, textual descriptions, and numbers, the Scouting system instead is entirely numerical. The way this works is that you'll see a range, for example "Brawling: 23 - 40" meaning that the Brawling skill is somewhere between 23 and 40. It's not a case where it's automatically in the middle, so in that example it could well be that the real value is 24. As different wrestlers will use different ranges and number placement, it is not possible to simply memorise patterns - for example, if one worker has a range of "20 - 40" and you happen to know that the number is really 25, that doesn't mean that another wrestler who has "20 - 40" is also 25. The higher the Scouting level goes, the smaller the range, until eventually you reach maximum Scouting in which case you get to see the exact number.

Using this system means that it's like-for-like when doing worker comparisons, which is far more intuitive and visually appealing than having different data types. This also means that the new ability to search for specific skill values is still viable; for example, if you search for Aerial of exactly 50 then you'll return workers whose Aerial scouts as "40 - 60" (even if their genuine Aerial is only 41) because it still fits within the range.

Whereas Fog Of War would take a long time to reach completion, the new Scouting system is far brisker, and generally you'll get very close to full scouting well before the worker has reached the ten year mark of their career (at least in the modern era).

Under the new system, some items are exempt. In particular, things that are visual - for example, Menace and Sex Appeal - are not scoutable and so are automatically shown as their exact number, to simulate that you don't need to see someone in action to know how they look. Physical skills, such as Power, also now have their own separate scouting level, one which is significantly faster than the others; this takes into account that you don't need to see someone very much to get a good sense of how strong they are, whereas you do to gauge someone's technical ability, for example. The other categories are similar to their Fog Of War counterparts: In Ring, Performance (for the gimmick performance skills such as Babyface, Heel, Cool, etc), Entertainment, Broadcasting, and Refereeing.

I didn’t use Fog of War. I just liked having a letter as opposed to so many numbers to constantly look at. It’s supposed to be a game to have fun, I don’t crunch numbers and look at things like that for fun. I’m glad we have a forum full of mathematicians though.

<p>Gotta be honest, it's not feeling all that fun at the moment. </p><p> </p><p>

The over reliance on detailed stats may appeal to some but I miss being able to search by talent in groups of not awful, good, great. Well known, draws etc.</p><p> </p><p>

Some people might like the really granular numerical approach, I get it, but personally that's never been the attraction of this series. It's always been about creativity first. </p><p> </p><p>

The roster screen which presents me instantly with 65 different numbers to try to digest in one go feels like a chore. Do we really need recent news as a section in there? I dunno, it just doesn't look like screen I wanna spend a lot of time looking at. </p><p> </p><p>

I'll reserve final judgement once I've tried a few skins but this has definitely gone from a must buy to very much maybe / maybe. Bit gutted tbh.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="chinoflynn" data-cite="chinoflynn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>From a straight game play point of view, from your scenario; unemployed, backyard to global. Isn’t it on you to make the fans believe or not believe in the people you are giving the push? Most of your hires, unless you snag a low level jobber from a big company to be your big dog, will be unknowns so as Booker you need to make that guy a star in your fans eyes.<p> </p><p> Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post, idk. We all have our personal ticks with this game I guess.</p><p> </p><p> 2016 also had a hidden gem section in creative that told you workers would be good for your company but never told you why, unless I missed something the entire time I’ve played this, which might be true I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, I’m just a tool. I digress, IMHO it’s on you as a booker to figure out how and why they’d fit into YOUR company and YOUR plans. That’s just me again and my personal opinion on how I play the game. I know I don’t want the AI to tell me everything, why bother playing.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sure, it's my job to push whoever I want. However, blindly pushing whoever with no sense of context for the wrestlers in relation to each other within my company doesn't feel good from a gameplay perspective. Same scenario in 2016, having pushes at least told me "Within the context of your company, here is where the game thinks all your wrestlers should be". I can use that later however I want, and make whatever pushes I want afterwards, but it provides a baseline that I can work from.</p><p> </p><p> Obviously we all have our own personal ways that we play this game, but I think taking away tools that help contextualize the information you're provided is a step backwards, even if they systems themselves are better.</p><p> </p><p> Correct, Hidden Gems in 2016 didn't provide that contextualization, but at least I knew once I hired someone from that page there was some in-game contextualization down the line that I could use to then slot them in somewhere. With the complete lack of contextualization it feels like I'm swimming blind.</p><p> </p><p> Another thing is, this is a pre-established universe, so your fans will have some idea of what to expect from certain workers. I'm not familiar with the Cornellverse, but no matter who I hire day 1 week 1 there is some form of history there within the universe. If I hire a 100-everywhere popularity worker, there should be <em>some</em> perception I can work with to help understand who this worker is and how they relate to everyone else on the roster.</p><p> </p><p> Here's another example: Say I somehow hire The Rock day 1 week 1 in my backyard fed. I know, because I know the real world, that The Rock is a big get. If this was a real promotion in the real world, my fans will have some sort of perception of The Rock, even if I've never run a show. I can contextualize that perception against another wrestler who is local, again without running a show. In 2020 there is no perception at all in that same scenario, so while I know who The Rock is while playing some real world mod I would have no clue about someone like The Rock in the Cornellverse because there's no way to know using the perception system.</p><p> </p><p> I hope this explains what I'm talking about!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Spirophore" data-cite="Spirophore" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Somebody may have mentioned this already but I’m noticing the AI booking cage matches far too often, at least one per week and sometimes more than one per show.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm getting AI-booked television shows with a cage, ladder and table match every single week. </p><p> </p><p> I'm hoping it has something to do with the fact that I'm using an imported 2016 database.</p>

<p>I've been playing the demo very consistently since it released yesterday. My main take-aways from the demo are:</p><p> </p><p>

1) The actual gameplay, booking, etc in this game are superior to 2016. I have a lot of fun watching the AI do things as well as the more realistic scoring of my own shows and financials. I love new things like seeing progression of stats, merchandise sales, ticket prices. All of this new down in the weeds stuff is really great.</p><p> </p><p>

2) For a game that wanted to minimize the amount of clicking done, the new menus do the exact opposite. For some reason in the new style menus, you cannot scroll wheel or use the mouse keys, and while you can type to search using the search bar, you used to be able to just click in the box, type a letter, and it would take you straight to where you were looking. Why are the NEW feature lists also DOWNGRADES from previous search methods?</p><p> </p><p>

3) Pre-Set Products are great for people who ARE confused by making their own product, but taking out the ability to custom craft a product yourself is a mistake. The new products simply do not fit all styles of play, and many of them are simply too limiting and restrictive. It is hard to find your fun when the game is forcing you only to pick between certain things, when in the PREVIOUS TITLE you could custom craft your product to your own booking style. Pre-set Products is a fine idea, but why take away the customization option of being able to book your own way? <em><strong>I actually hate this</strong></em>. It is the main thing that is preventing me from saying I won't ever go back to TEW 2016. I can book exactly the product I want in TEW 2016, why wouldn't I book there?</p>

I'm holding onto 2016 for the time being, with hope some things are fixed or changed based on the early feedback. Very likely a potentially great game beneath everything, but its cluttered underneath alot we dont like right now. Alot of it is visual and UI related. I'm not sure how to feel. I just hope theres something that can be done. I have faith.

2) For a game that wanted to minimize the amount of clicking done, the new menus do the exact opposite. For some reason in the new style menus, you cannot scroll wheel or use the mouse keys, and while you can type to search using the search bar, you used to be able to just click in the box, type a letter, and it would take you straight to where you were looking. Why are the NEW feature lists also DOWNGRADES from previous search methods?

3) Pre-Set Products are great for people who ARE confused by making their own product, but taking out the ability to custom craft a product yourself is a mistake. The new products simply do not fit all styles of play, and many of them are simply too limiting and restrictive. It is hard to find your fun when the game is forcing you only to pick between certain things, when in the PREVIOUS TITLE you could custom craft your product to your own booking style. Pre-set Products is a fine idea, but why take away the customization option of being able to book your own way? I actually hate this. It is the main thing that is preventing me from saying I won't ever go back to TEW 2016. I can book exactly the product I want in TEW 2016, why wouldn't I book there?

Agree on both of these big time. I find myself clicking more than ever when booking. Booking is already not the easiest thing to do, and in 20 it's been made to be far more of a chore.

Lack of custom products is mind-boggling. It's supposed to be a sandbox right? Why can't we do what we want to do with a promotion? Being able to turn off match aim and match requirements helps, but it still is FAR from anything close to a custom product. Baffling!

I had an issue with the game icon being missing on the Start Menu, which is a very minor issue and Arlie posted a solution and closed that thread, which is fine...

I just have to say though, I think the icon needs some serious work. Apparently it is a title belt, but I would never guess that by looking at it. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it looks like something that was thrown together in Paint in 5 minutes and does not match the quality of the game. Can we get a professional-looking desktop icon?

Again, I love the game, but that is not an appealing icon sitting on my desktop.

For people who remember this sort of thing, is this the worst reception a TEW beta has gotten? Is it typical for there to be this many issues/unpopular changes and then it be fixed by the full version? I've always been pretty happy with the final products of TEW, but never really dove in until the beta phase was over. Can anyone give some insight? Is there going to be enough tweaking done in the next week or so to satisfy the complaints? Or are we stuck with the game and UI as is?

I don't think the game was ever suppose to be a sandbox, it is a business sim. There are options to make it a sandbox but that was never the intended purpose.

It's a booking sim, not a business sim. And the booking menu is the worst part of the game right now.

For people who remember this sort of thing, is this the worst reception a TEW beta has gotten? Is it typical for there to be this many issues/unpopular changes and then it be fixed by the full version? I've always been pretty happy with the final products of TEW, but never really dove in until the beta phase was over. Can anyone give some insight? Is there going to be enough tweaking done in the next week or so to satisfy the complaints? Or are we stuck with the game and UI as is?

It's usually pretty positive outside of glitches and bugs. Almost never with the gameplay or UI that I remember.

Another thing is, this is a pre-established universe, so your fans will have some idea of what to expect from certain workers. I'm not familiar with the Cornellverse, but no matter who I hire day 1 week 1 there is some form of history there within the universe. If I hire a 100-everywhere popularity worker, there should be some perception I can work with to help understand who this worker is and how they relate to everyone else on the roster.

Here's another example: Say I somehow hire The Rock day 1 week 1 in my backyard fed. I know, because I know the real world, that The Rock is a big get. If this was a real promotion in the real world, my fans will have some sort of perception of The Rock, even if I've never run a show. I can contextualize that perception against another wrestler who is local, again without running a show. In 2020 there is no perception at all in that same scenario, so while I know who The Rock is while playing some real world mod I would have no clue about someone like The Rock in the Cornellverse because there's no way to know using the perception system.

I hope this explains what I'm talking about!

I get you on this....I think... easier said; there’s no way for you to compare how’s your main eventer and who’s your job squader. In 16 pushes showed you who’s who so you knew where to place them. In 20 you feel you can’t determine that at a look through the new system. Correct?

I can honestly say I’m a Real World Mod player myself BECAUSE I have familiarity with the people so I get what you say. I don’t give the cornellverse the love it deserves because at s glance I’m not familiar with people or can relate them in a fashion ya real life I suppose.

I will argue tho that even with the cornellverse being a long and rich in history not the entire work or fan base would know all the workers especially someone or s group of someone’s creating s backyard fed. The world didn’t know The Hardy Boys when they started OMEGA. Kind of like Fearless Blue and the other backyarders in 2016 or 2014

The more I play around with it the more I like it. There’s definitely still stuff that needs changing (mostly the changing items with keyboard and ability to edit the products) but I love stables, block tv trappings, and the new push system. I think it’s just something different that people will have to just play enough to get used to it.

Hahahaha my real world mod did the same thing.

You just need to edit your default matches so evening gown match isn’t one of them.

lol imma have to go thru and remove all the "sex appeal" esque matches cuz I removed Evening Gowns and got this

814c892fcac464c30bb895971a961398.png

and then i removed mud wrestling and got this

868a3b5c1f6e601d5892f743bc8457cd.png

and then i removed bra and panties and got bungee chord matches, so i guess thats a little better