TEW2020 CornellVerse Discussion Thread

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And um, nothing in Mexico? Did I miss OLLIE and CILL closing their women's divisions?

They're effectively not closed but there are no female promotion in Mexico and the reserves are extremely low. if we go by the database, we have 22 active female wrestlers based in Mexico, 2 of them are uncontracted and no future debuts, that's not exactly what I call a vibrant scene.

They're effectively not closed but there are no female promotion in Mexico and the reserves are extremely low. if we go by the database, we have 22 active female wrestlers based in Mexico, 2 of them are uncontracted and no future debuts, that's not exactly what I call a vibrant scene.

Truth. But I don't think Mexico was necessarily intended to be a focal point of the women's scene on any level. That focal point is, and always has been, the US (and Canada to a lesser extent). I'm not saying Mexico's scene is 'vibrant', I'm just saying it has a scene so saying there's 'nothing' in Mexico just isn't true. And Australia has always been a bit of a red-headed stepchild when it comes to the C-Verse. It has intracountry machinations (RAW stealing Swoop, for example, and the other companies not liking each other) but no real international ones. Outside of Kalliope (and now Rekha), they don't even have any wrestlers based there. And given the products of the companies there, there's no real room to add much.

I just think that with all of the other changes (re-adding women to CZCW - remember J.Ro and Miss Mexico had quite a feud there previously - as well as to ACPW) tells me that the focus for women's wrestling is intended to be North America. These are the companies most likely to sign women on an ongoing basis (5 Star tends to be more conservative about adding to its roster), which is likely to lead to more growth occurring there. I'm okay with that. I've been growing kind of bored with the lack of change with women from year to year so this scratches my itch in a major way. Besides, do you really think AAA could've competed with CZCW, ACPW, QAW, or anyone else? They'd have to schedule their shows on weird days just to be able to field a decent roster (yay event on Tuesday or Wednesday evening, if 5SSW isn't running a show that day! :rolleyes: ). It's about opportunity and right now, women have tons of it (mainly in North America, as usual). Also, the integrated products give them an even greater upside since there's typically very few women in the C-Verse with the ability to train others. The men don't have that problem, in any game area, and never have. Now the women have the opportunity to advance their skills in ways they've never had before (outside of ZEN).

Not sure if no future debuts is going to be as big as issue as before, I'm hoping that regeneration and new workers will be significantly more interesting especially with things like attributes.

Remember, you can also talk to workers and maybe get them open to working in your area. So, the pool is small to start, but with a little skill and luck, you might be able to get some nice surprises.

Just want to mention in case no one has yet, that the PGHW Night of STRENGTH event is supposed to be in June, not May as it currently is scheduled. I noticed it when the Strength Tour shows led directly into the next tour with no big event.

Should put it in technical support so it doesn't get lost and they can fix it.

Something creeping me out is that apparently the Academy Awards, the NFL, the NBA, FIFA, the NCAA and NASCAR are part of Cornellverse canon?

Is it legal to use the "SuperBowl" in a paid game, but not real wrestlers?

I doubt the NFL or any other sport organization knows or cares about TEW tbh

One thing that bummed me out canonically is that The Silencer is now 37 and never got picked up by any major companies. He was an automatic pickup in every MAW save I played in 2016, and I pushed him to death to catch the eye of the big dogs. He is just too good to languish in obscurity.

I guess it's a testament to the TEW series and Adam that I care much about the destinies of the characters. :D

Something creeping me out is that apparently the Academy Awards, the NFL, the NBA, FIFA, the NCAA and NASCAR are part of Cornellverse canon?

Is it legal to use the "SuperBowl" in a paid game, but not real wrestlers?

Super Bowl is probably trademarked. Combining the words, maybe not an issue.

Steve DeColt married an unknown daughter of Dan Stone and orchestrated the merger of CGC and NOTBPW after Dan Stone died at George DeColt's funeral.

This is some soap opera shit. Why isn't real wrestling this dramatic?

Dan Stone dying at George DeColt's funeral is the biggest story of 2020. I literally yelled "WTF" when I read it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt_Black" data-cite="Matt_Black" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47579" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think the thing that is most mind blowing to me is that Pinky Perez is now a positive influence in the locker room. Whaaaa?!?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> She’s not the only one, Shiori Jippensha has softened up quite a bit too</p>

Thanks to everyone who replied to my comment, you have all gave me some sense of clarity, especially the comment below :)

I think I will create a mini spreadsheet to keep some info handy for the wrestlers and then it should become second nature soon. Loving the game too!!

It's always hard to make direct comparisons between the C-verse and real world as while they did start off with some obvious homages as time's gone by they've moved further and further apart. There's a wiki that has some background information you can read through and if you're really dedicated you can download the old demos for TEW games and go through the promotions and workers there, seeing how they've changed over time.

SWF's the clear WWE stand in, with them being the dominant force in wrestling for a long time having bought out the classic regional promotions and their (now former) owner Richard Essien being a Vince McMahon-like businessman (albeit not appearing on camera) and their recent success having come from a roughly Attitude era approach to wrestling. Different people will have different takes on this but to me the WCW equivalent is in some ways both TCW and USPW. TCW is sort of WCW in reverse; they started off with a rich backer pouring tons of money in so they could poach a lot of SWF's stars while doing a similar product but couldn't really break though. Losing money and needing a change they moved to a more traditional Jim Crockett Promotions type product with a focus on serious, athletic wrestling and the wrestlers having more control and say. Despite that they nearly went bust and had a lot of their stars taken which leads them into this edition; my take is that you can think of them being in a similar position to a WCW that got some financial support in 2001 and so survived but was clearly in need of a rebuild.

USPW on the other hand can be seen as if that mid 90's WCW product not only continued, it thrived. Allen Packer buying them as a way to fill his subscription-based entertainment channel with programming has some distinct similarities to Ted Turner buying Jim Crockett Promotions to fill his network programming with the product USPW put out is pretty similar to the mid-90's, pre-NWO WCW product. An alternate but similar way of looking at it is viewing it as the AOL-Time Warner merger actually working out for WCW; big name wrestling promotion suddenly gets even more financial support and new broadcasting opportunities that could massively raise its profile.

As I said to begin with, most people will have their own unique takes on not only promotions but the workers as well as; some may heavily disagree with what I've put out above. Certain workers carry a distinct hint of real world equivalents but these days it often is only really a hint; it's often best to find one aspect of a character that speaks to you and see if you can build from there rather than trying to find a real world person to strictly base them on.