Real World Equivalents for Promotions

Hey I'm working on something for another website and trying to sum up who the equivalent promotions for each thing is.

So far I have

* 21st Century Wrestling is modern WWE

* 5 Star Supreme Wrestling is AJW.

* Australian Pro Wrestling is late 00's WWE

* Black Canvas Grappling is AJPW

* BHOWTG is NJPW

* Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling is PWG

* Deep Impact Wrestling is probably something like IWA-MS

* EILL is AAA

* EMLL is obviously Lucha Underground

* EWA is Hulkamania era WWF

* EXODUS 2010 is DDT

* FREEDOM Caribbean Wrestling is WWC

* OLLIE is CMLL if it had fallen on really hard times

* PGHW is NOAH

That's what I've tried to pin down so far. Might not even be accurate. I leaned BHOTWG as NJPW instead of AJPW because of the focus on stable warfare which is certainly more New Japan.

21CW, SWF and USPW all have different aspects of WWE from different periods over the last ten years or so. SWF is more the backstage stuff and the stagnant roster, USPW has the successful streaming service, and 21CW all but destroyed the indy scene in its home country and is the only real game left in town.

21CW, SWF and USPW all have different aspects of WWE from different periods over the last ten years or so. SWF is more the backstage stuff and the stagnant roster, USPW has the successful streaming service, and 21CW all but destroyed the indy scene in its home country and is the only real game left in town.

Yeah that is something that I was thinking. All three of them are different aspects of the WWE although I'd also add to USPW about their tendency to hoard talent.

5 Star is not AJW. If the only joshi wrestling promotion you know of is AJW then it fits as a reference ("Oh, so a Japanese women's promotion!"). Stylistically as far as their product is concerned, it's more like AtoZ or M's Style. Basically one of the promotions that was born of AJW. Just like NOAH isn't the same as AJPW.

200.gif

SWF is a pretty clear WWE stand-in; rose to prominence while buying out all the old territories to become the dominant force in American wrestling, adopted a sports entertainment product that brought it to a wider fanbase and Richard Essien is a Vince McMahon analogue except he didn't appear on-screen. SWF can essentially be seen as WWE with competition.

I've mentioned this before but for me both TCW and USPW are stand ins for WCW but in different ways:

USPW today are WCW if the Turner takeover had happened a couple of decades later; Turner bought WCW to secure cheap programming for his network much as Allen Packer bought USPW to get content for Reverie which in both cases gave them huge financial backing and exposure. The current USPW product is pretty similar to the early 1990's WCW product of Turner's time as well; think Dungeon of Doom, monster of the week for Hulk Hogan to slay etc etc. Speaking of Hogan, Sam Strong can be seen as the C-verse's version of him and his arrival in USPW similar to Hogan arriving (complete with some fairly untalented friends of his getting jobs and pushes).

TCW are WCW in reverse. WCW started out as JCP, a more traditional, wrestling focused company and alternative to WWF's more cartoony, childish product where "the boys" had a lot of say/influence but didn't manage its money well and was eventually bought out by a big money company. That money allowed it to bring in a number of WWF's stars and try to beat them at their own game, becoming more sports entertainment focused themselves but despite some success they never quite managed it and lost support from their parent company. TCW started as HGC, a promotion owned by big money backers which allowed it to hire a number of SWF's stars and try to beat them at their own game but could never break through. This led to one of "the boys" fronting a takeover and turning them into a more traditional, wrestling focused alternative to SWF's sports entertainment product... but it struggled for money and eventually had to be sold off again.

<p>From Adam Ryland in the 2016 Tutorial for Beginners</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="48357" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>WWE: SWF<p> 80's \ 90's WWF: USPW</p><p> NJPW: BHOTWG</p><p> 90's AJPW: PGHW \ BCG</p><p> ECW: IPW \ GSW \ DIW</p><p> WCCW: CGC</p><p> Chikara: ZEN</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Now, CGC is dead but CWA's product closely resembles them so it's probably still WCCW.</p><p> </p><p> MAW to me is NWA as presented by the Crocketts before being bought by Turner.</p><p> </p><p> NYCW is like old school WWWF. Slow. Bigger wrestlers. </p><p> </p><p> FCW is... well it's Puerto Rican wrestling through its various incarnations.</p><p> </p><p> I don't think IPW/GSW/DIW are all ECW style. I look at GSW as more XPW. DIW as more IWA:Mid South (or even IWA: Deep South). IPW I look at as CZW. They have a lot of hardcore, but they also have some legit wrestling.</p><p> </p><p> TCW, to me, is the best parts of early WCW modernized. A performance based product with good characters.</p><p> </p><p> CWW is classic British wrestling. I don't know a specific promotion I'd refer it to, but it's the World of Sport Style... so maybe World of Sport... (at least in my head)</p><p> </p><p> SNP is just supposed to be garbage wrestling!</p>

SNP is just supposed to be garbage wrestling!

I think - and I say this without having seen a single second of their product - SNP are based on ICW? I basically get as far as "Scottish hardcore" and lose interest, so I might be way off in terms of the actual products.

I've always considered WLW to be Dragon Gate/Toryumon. Not sure how accurate that is as I'm not too familiar with real life DG.

While it's true BHOTWG is a closer representation to modern day NJPW with clear correlation between the factions and the Kenny Omega era NJ, I believe PGHW actually represents an earlier era of NJPW.

For me PGHW is the post-Inokism stage with the original Musketeers (Keiji Mutoh, Masahiro Chono and Shinya Hashimoto) now gone it is left to the booker to find, develop and build the new Musketeers (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Katsuyori Shibata and Shinsuke Nakamura) or as PGHW called them the Golden Generation, it is your job as booker of PGHW to decide if you should remain pure Strong Style or move towards a more hybrid Kings Road / Strong Style mix found in modern NJPW.

Maybe I'm alone in that view, but it seem's too simple to just say "oh it's NOAH" I truly think they are both NJ just from different eras.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Elim Garak" data-cite="Elim Garak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="48357" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>While it's true BHOTWG is a closer representation to modern day NJPW with clear correlation between the factions and the Kenny Omega era NJ, I believe PGHW actually represents an earlier era of NJPW.<p> </p><p> For me PGHW is the post-Inokism stage with the original Musketeers (Keiji Mutoh, Masahiro Chono and Shinya Hashimoto) now gone it is left to the booker to find, develop and build the new Musketeers (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Katsuyori Shibata and Shinsuke Nakamura) or as PGHW called them the Golden Generation, it is your job as booker of PGHW to decide if you should remain pure Strong Style or move towards a more hybrid Kings Road / Strong Style mix found in modern NJPW.</p><p> </p><p> Maybe I'm alone in that view, but it seem's too simple to just say "oh it's NOAH" I truly think they are both NJ just from different eras.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#4B0082;">It's pretty hard to say. PGHW's product is Royal Road, which draws parallels with King's Road style. Burning Hammer with it's strong juniors division is most akin to NJPW, as well as the drift westwards.The Tanahashi/Shibata/Nakamura period also had plenty of broad character types (Yano, Iizuka, various baddies in masks) and more flash and showmanship than I'd associate with PGHW.</span></p><p><span style="color:#4B0082;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#4B0082;"> Five Star feels more or less like an AJW that never went out of business. It has the fast, intense style of the 90's, very technical and high flying. It's dominated joshi pruoresu, much like AJW did until it went bankrupt. </span></p><p><span style="color:#4B0082;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#4B0082;"> I personally always associated WLW with Michinoku Pro and Exodus with Dragon Gate. </span></p>