CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

CGC GEARING UP #4 RESULTS: 

ROBIN DALAY & THE MONTREAL MAFIA DEF. WHIPPY THE CLOWN & THUNDER AND LIGHTNING (56)

ZEUS MAXIMILLION DEF. KILLER KARSON (47) 

CLAUSE REED DEF. GAHTIR SALIM (38)

CGC Weekly Notes: 

-Company higher ups have noted that the ratings of Title Bout Wrestling post-CBN move have settled on a bit less than double the numbers on Channel Six, with the show's floor at about 52K viewers. However, Elimination drew fewer buys than the last 4 PPV's, which is out of the blue and concerning as it's bucking the trend of upward movement the company has experienced the last few months. The hope is for the company to keep maintaining growth and settle at over six figures, a number that makes them feel more "major league". 

-There's still searches being conducted for a partnering promotion to send participating wrestlers at the DeColt Wrestlefestival, but the company has officially announced a venue for the show: for the first time in over ten years, the biggest event for CGC will be taking place outside of Vancouver, with the legendary Sphere Arena in Ontario holding it to commemorate 40 years since The Calgary Wolverines (George DeColt & Whipper Spencer Marks) beat The Perfect Storm in that same building, widely considered as Canada's first ever"5 Star" match. 

-A new signing's contract begins next Monday after this episode of Title Bout Wrestling. 

-There's been concerns about the booking team not doing much with the monster heels on the roster, even whispers of "buyer's remorse" about bringing in Ducont without Elizabeth Cartier to help him get over, which is why he was switched to his "prizefighter" gimmick, only showing up for big occasions. 

-The Luck Of The Draw Scramble stipulation is an idea attributed to newest road agent on the roster, Nathan Black.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

for the first time in over ten years, the biggest event for CGC will be taking place outside of Vancouver, with the legendary Sphere Arena in Ontario holding it to commemorate 40 years since The Calgary Wolverines (George DeColt & Whipper Spencer Marks) beat The Perfect Storm in that same building, widely considered as Canada's first ever"5 Star" match.

I love this level of detail and leaning into history so much, it really adds to the immersion. Likewise the way you introduced Nathan Black as a road agent.

• Like 1

TitleBoutWrestling.jpg.690f85bb9c450dc43ddc35bfc2c889ed.jpg

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING, SUNDAY WEEK 4 OF JANUARY 2019 

MATCH 1: ANT-MAN VS FLASH VS MARC RAISIN 

Billed as a special attraction since I'm pretty sure we got one three way (during Elimination) in 2018, this match was the most action-packed possible way to begin the show. The cruiserweights delivered a really good opener, filled with tandem offense and mini matches. Both babyfaces dominated the lazy Flash, who didn't even get help by a cheering Ozzie Golden at ringside. After getting beaten up for most of the match, Flash just dramatically rolled out of the ring and a few people in the front row gasped at him just dropping on his sides, not bothering to protect himself. That meant the winner would either be the smallest member of the roster or the person renowed for being able to lift 350 lbs wrestlers while also having the speed of a cruiserweight aaaand yep, Ant-man wins. Raisin was actually looking the most likely wrestler to grab the W in the early goings, but as soon as we went to the finish it was no bullshit, put over the guy. Raisin got just enough offense in to go for a flying nothing that Ant-Man countered into his Doctor Bomb for the win. 

Rating: 59 

SEGMENT 1: MAKING IT OFFICIAL 

After the end of the match, Ant-man grabbed the microphone to state that the Blondes have beaten almost everyone, but have been conveniently ducking the gopher and the ant. The Superfriends are officially challenging for Luck of the Draw, and the reign of the Elite is coming to an end. 

Rating: 54 

SEGMENT 2: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF AN UNNUMBERED KIND 

We get a half-skit half-vignette of EMOe NOTman being terrorised by visions of Diablo Duvak only to find no one there. He starts running away, unclear why he's not turning into a bat in the process, only to run into the guy next to a vending machine being chill about his (non?) existence. He sprints past.

Rating: 35

MATCH 2: ROBIN DALAY VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN 

Robin DaLay is clearly a big project for CGC management, so it was really encouraging that he didn't do terrible in this CBN title tournament semi final against one of the greats. Whippy made his offence look good, but Robin did a good job of filling the blanks in a way that didn't make him look green (one would say going through a dojo and a performance center helps, but who knows what they teach wrestlers in Supreme land?). Robin almost won with the Deadlift Powerbomb but Whippy managed to get his hand under the rope. DaLay knew that he needed to use the DaLay Down, but that's a move Whippy has seen a billion times and he managed to maneuver into a victory roll for the win. 

Rating: 59 

SEGMENT 3: A VERY NORMAL SNAPSHOT 

After the contest, Ricky Storm entered the ring and we got our staredown between the tournament finalists. A buddist monk from Lancashire against the Clown Prince of Grappling. Next week, on CBN! 

Rating: 47 

SEGMENT 4: NEXT SCRAMBLE PARTICIPANT ANNOUNCED 

Jenny Playmate is thrilled to draw another name out of a machine, once again reminding everyone of what the stipulation entails. And the wrestler is... Dusty Ducont! He takes the microphone, thanks his agent and says he'll mess up a poor sod so the ratings go up. 

Rating: 62 

MATCH 3: DUSTY DUCONT VS LEWIS FREY 

You already know what this was, you can picture it. Frey hits some strikes, tries to get Ducont to the ground, he can't because his opponent is a mountain of a man, gets dominated for a few minutes, dodges a big strike to get to a comeback, hits a german suplex where Dusty lands more on his shoulder than his back or head, gets fired up only to be shut down and hit with a Thrown Powerbomb then pinned in a humiliatingly lessez-faire manner.

Rating: 49 

MATCH 4: MARC DUBOIS VS SKIP BEAU

Someone probably let Adrian Garcia know it's not the best look if his heels wrestle more often on TV, so this is the main event we get as Ian DeColt is being smug on guest commentary. This turned out to be a pretty awesome showcase for Skip who didn't pause for a second. He was incredible on offense, taunted DeColt a bunch, sold like a maniac, and Dubois played his role perfectly, at first being overwhelmed then almost annoyed as he did his best effort to outshine Skip and get the crowd back on his side. Thankfully, he's a 6'1 blonde adonis so it wasn't difficult to pull off with a crowd comprising at least in part of kids and their mothers. The 17 minutes of this main event flew by, and Dubois managed to get him in the Dubois Dubious Pin, arguably the most protecting of his finishers, for the win. 

Rating: 63 

SEGMENT 5: NO HOLDS BARRED 

The Champ didn't get to send the fans home happy, as Ian DeColt was all too pleased to tease a new strategy of regaining his title belt at Luck Of The Draw: he has searched deep within the apocryphal tapes and found out secrets like George DeColt ceasing to be a main eventer after his male pattern baldness set in, Jean-Pierre Baptiste's way to apply an Abdominal Stretch with leverage, and most importantly, doing a very dramatic low blow with your bicep on a babyface hurts a ton! So he hits a low blow on both Beau and Dubois, then a bunch of signatures and finishers on the champ, none of which are his, and he does a celebratory jog around the ring, showering in the boos as we go off the air. 

Rating: 69 

Show Rating: 65

• Like 3

Dubois v Beau is a hell of a TV main event, and also the perfect setup for DeColt getting to stand tall heading towards Luck of the Draw.

I love the fact Whippy is always involved in interesting stuff despite his time decline, as his character and CGC legacy always add an extra layer to whatever he's doing, like here where he was able to take out the sins of the father on the son. I don't think he's completing the grandest slam and suspect he's there as a decorated first challenger to help establish Ricky Storm and the CBN title, but I'll enjoy it either way.

It looks like the flying nothing and Dubois Dubious Pin are at opposite ends of the CGC effectiveness scale. It will be fun to see who eventually survives the DDP, and if they follow up with a flying nothing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

Awful news: I lost the save. 

what a bummer. I don´t know if you are in the mood to start another diary but in case you don't hate the whole CWA concept, with your past NOTBPW and CGC diaries experience, I think you would be perfect for a CWA diary.

Edited by newbiezness
  • Like 2

Ah, I'm so gutted @AboardTheArk. I'm pretty sure this was the first dynasty I read and it's been here the whole time I've been active, so I've never known this forum without it. It taught me everything I know about the Canadian CVerse and even inspired me to play a bit as 2022 CGC, so it left a huge impression on me. It felt like you still had so many stories left to tell heading into WrestleFestival too. I hope the experience doesn't demotivate you and you'll be back with another dynasty in future, CGC 2018 or otherwise, and that you might still get to tell some of the stories you had planned there. Maybe it will be CGC 2022: From (Ever So Deep Under) The Ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:57 PM, newbiezness said:

what a bummer. I don´t know if you are in the mood to start another diary but in case you don't hate the whole CWA concept, with your past NOTBPW and CGC diaries experience, I think you would be perfect for a CWA diary.

Thank you so much for the kind words and support, rest assured I am addicted enough to this game that I'm going to be starting another diary soon hopefully.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, The Lloyd said:

NO! I've been there brother, that's awful. Echo @newbiezness - a CWA diary, or something else from you, would be most welcome when you feel ready!

Thank you so much. Your support has been so appreciated.

20 hours ago, knkmaster69 said:

I'm so sorry! This has been by far my favorite dynasty i've ever read and i'm so sorry to see it go! Whatever you do next i will make sure to check out but I would not blame you at all for needing a break after this 

Damn, this was just lovely to read. Thank you for reading along and every time you've popped in with a kind message!

3 hours ago, 619 said:

Ah, I'm so gutted @AboardTheArk. I'm pretty sure this was the first dynasty I read and it's been here the whole time I've been active, so I've never known this forum without it. It taught me everything I know about the Canadian CVerse and even inspired me to play a bit as 2022 CGC, so it left a huge impression on me. It felt like you still had so many stories left to tell heading into WrestleFestival too. I hope the experience doesn't demotivate you and you'll be back with another dynasty in future, CGC 2018 or otherwise, and that you might still get to tell some of the stories you had planned there. Maybe it will be CGC 2022: From (Ever So Deep Under) The Ground.

I mean, what can I say that would be thanks enough for the constant feedback and support. I might do a post regarding my plans if the diary had kept going. As of right now I don't have anything nailed down but if I feel like I have the time, I'm popping back in soon with something. CGC 2022 would just be awful content for months sadly but it would be an opportunity to try some out of the box stuff I guess. It's a fun save for sure.

Just thank you all for reading, this dynasty just got way bigger than I could have hoped for, it was just dope. At least it ends before a "vanilla midget" wins the big belt and George DeColt is rolling in his grave.

• Like 3