CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

CGC: ONE YEAR IN 

It's crazy to thing that I've managed to book an entire year of this save considering my tendency to start side-projects and also the fact I had no idea what I was getting into when I begun. But 10 months later, I've booked 12 months of pretty okay wrestling, this diary has amassed a real following and got a couple nominations in DOTM categories and also a win for the rumble match. But I think the biggest accomplishment is that I only didn't post three shows, and two of them had an actual reason behind it rather than me being lazy. But let's move to the save itself, and some booking goals: 

Make New Stars: Starting with the big one. Obviously, it's how CGC survives in a post DeColt world. Atherton got one of the best pushes I've given in a TWG game, solely because it wasn't through a win streak and hot-shotting a title on him. At the same time, he was basically the protagonist of the promotion in most shows he was on. Ian Identity becoming a fake DeColt worked better than I thought. Dubois was bought so he doesn't count. Skip started really well but I think kind of faltered towards the end. I think that's a solid B.

Make Solid, Watchable TV: There were good weeks and bad weeks for sure, but I think this wasn't the most useless two hours of TV every week. At the same time, I really wanted to get to the 90 minute slot already because I gave away way too many 20 minute PPV-level matches on free TV just cause I struggled with filling time. 90 minutes feels like a sweet spot. C+

Make PPV's feel distinct: 

Elimination: Didn't even try to run the traditional match because the roster was so shallow I felt like I couldn't get a whole card going. It's coming back this year of course, as y'all know.

Luck Of The Draw: Nope, total failure. Might even replace it on the calendar with a fake PPV I come up with.

Wrestlefestival: Well, I had to! But I think it was solid.

Chaos In The Cage: The gimmick makes it easy.

In The Company Of Legends: I think it was strong, and having the HOF induction here works for me.

Ultimate Showdown: Yes, it's the second biggest event of the year.

The Battle Beyond: Solid for an "aftermath" type of PPV.

Last Man Standing: Only PPV that got a post building it up, main event won a DOTM award. Feel good about that one.

Apocalypse: The George DeColt Memorial Cup saves it from the chopping block. 

Survival Of The Fittest: It's considered one of the biggest events in the company and it was filler so... nope!

Chamber Of Horrors: Frustratingly I made it an one-match show. Can still improve. 

Feeling a B- here.

Build hot feuds that aren't Joey/Whippy: This one is the first real failure here. I had the chance to make Ian/Dubois pretty hot but I took multiple detours to get to him dropping at Chamber of Horrors. Maybe Alex DeColt vs Jamie Atherton went better for some of you guys, but idk. D

Get better at doing some more creative segments: Think the second half year was a small but real improvement, also helped by the Holiday specials but still, I think the shows became slightly less sterile and they hopefully will continue to do so. B

Match Write-ups: Gonna give this an A, but I have to mention it can still get to an S and it probably won't. But the big PPV matches were the only time this diary truly went above and beyond the usual standard of quality. 

Some pointers/questions for you all before we embark for year 2 of this journey: 

-Thoughts on the Vibert's Voice format? Personally think as the year went on his voice and my company voice started merging and it went to waste a bit. Also in the past 10 months (Jesus!) of this diary a lot of cool diaries with cool show formats have dropped. 

-Would you guys be excited enough for a Women's division that I should be aggressive towards making it happen? I love women's wrestling even though I don't book it often, and the only reason I haven't made the move yet is that I didn't have the opportunity to poach a megastar. But if the interest is there I can make it happen in the first 6 months of 2019. 

-The first episode of the new B Show will be posted in full, subsequently I will probably just be posting the results.

Thank you all for reading and commenting and reacting and supporting the silly rambles of a random guy.

• Like 3

Enjoyed reading your thoughts. I think you're too harsh on yourself for sure on a few things. You're right that 12 months of shows is an awesome achievement but I really think the quality has been great too. The general sentiments though I agree with so I'd applaud the self awareness. I wouldn't have even picked out a lack of hot feuds as a weakness but now you mention it I feel like what CGC most needs at this stage is that one special feud.

My answer to both the questions is the same really in that I'd go with whatever excited you more. I see what you mean about Viberts voice format merging a little but that's not necessarily to say a change is needed. I think if working on a new format is appealing to you, great, but if you're used to what you got going now I'd feel no need to change.

Same with the women's division, I'd personally like to see it. But 100% only go for it if you feel good about the ideas you got, or in general the idea of writing a new division. 

Essentially a bit of a cop out answer but I'd go with whatever you think most increases the chance of the longevity continuing. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback and some more kind words, @christmas_ape. Maybe I'm being too harsh on the quality of the diary, but also thank you for validating some of the weaknesses. Hopefully this diary can get even better. That's always the goal!

GOLDEN COMBAT MEDIA INC. PRESS RELEASE

As an extremely successful 2018 has come to an end for CGC, we are only looking to a brighter future as we aim to get back on top of the Canadian wrestling scene and become a global player. We are therefore pleased to announce a new home for CGC Title Bout WrestlingStarting in the first Sunday of January 2019, Title Bout Wrestling has a new home, and a familiar one at that: CBN, a home of Canadian Wrestling on and off since 1985, has agreed with us a deal to broadcast Title Bout Wrestling in a 90 minute slot, Sundays at 5 PM PST. Included in the deal is a specially sanctioned title belt: The CGC CBN Championship! Authorized by the channel executives at CBN, this ensures "Title Bout Wrestling" will live up to its name, with title matches most weeks!

CGCTV.jpg.ee3299df30ef677f7058073514f3cebe.jpg

To celebrate this new era of Canadian Golden Combat, our design team has worked hard to present an updated logo for the company and its TV! Modern, slick, but still unmistakably recognizable as the company you know and love, this is the CGC of the 2020's, in the 2010's! Be sure you'll catch it as our social media profile picture in no time! 

CGCpsx.jpg.5a12a080c5a936cf26c3c3722731a0fb.jpg

Canadian Golden Combat Logo 

TitleBoutWrestling.jpg.3d59c66ab8d86e93d1c74a3a97fd1aa8.jpg

CGC Title Bout Wrestling, live Sundays at 5 PM PST on CBN!

But wait, we hear the cries of thousands of fans, what happened to CGC on Channel Six? Are we abandoning our loyal fans in the UK and the people who more and more tuned in to watch CGC Combatants wrestle in that premium channel? The answer is, we're going nowhere! A BRAND NEW CGC Wrestling Show is debuting on Channel Six, Fridays at 5 PM PST called CGC Gearing Up! Don't miss out on this exciting hour of wrestling, right in between the afternoon and early evening weather broadcasts! 

CGCGearingUp.jpg.0d3df3ce24068b3a1f0d9a2f2b0cdeca.jpg

CGC Gearing Up, live Fridays at 5 PM PST on Channel Six!

A consequence of the move of broadcasting an extra hour of free TV wrestling on Fridays is that our Friday Night PPV's are moving to Saturday nights to provide the perfect weekend wrestling experience! The two nights of the CGC DeColt Wrestlefestival are of course unaffected by this change, but make sure to mark the 10 other PPVs in your calendar! Detailed PPV schedule is to be released in the coming days. 

Thank you all for supporting CGC during its darkest days, be sure that we are commited to repaying your faith and aiming to keep providing the best Canadian wrestling has to offer to our loyal fans! 

CGCBannerpsx.jpg.51edde1017d0c01be49c740257a7fff8.jpg

A special thanks to @psx for the amazing work designing the company logo, banner and TV show logos for this new-look CGC! Just absolutely lovely designs and initiatives. 

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 3

CGC GEARING UP #1! A NEW YEAR AND A NEW ERA!

CGCGearingUp.jpg.b376771fa465545b5ee292faf9518f33.jpg

MATCH CARD: 

CGC CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP STREET FIGHT: CURTIS MOBSTAR VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C) 

BLOCKBUSTER & IAN DECOLT VS MARC DUBOIS & RICKY STORM 

JOEY POISON, BRETT FRASER & X VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES & DAN DRAPER

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love what you did with the Christmas show: how it functions as a standalone spectacle while still working as a continuation of ongoing storylines, with the added surprise of it setting up an Alex DeColt in-ring return at the end.

I agree with christmas_ape on both points: that the answer to format/women's wrestling is whatever brings you the most enjoyment, and that you were being way too hard on yourself.

I think three of the standout qualities of your 2018 were how well you defined characters, your ability to give shows a unique flavour that still fits the overall presentation (WrestleFestival, Halloween, Christmas) and rebuilding the roster without losing the company's feel.

The feud point is interesting, but Poison/Whippy, DeColt/Atherton and Dubois/Gargantuan were all really well done. It's also probably a side-effect of always having new characters to integrate: needing to prioritise getting them over as individuals rather than their rivalries, plus the conflict over whether to go with the long-term plan of Dubois on top or ride Atherton's momentum. Now you've done the bulk of the rebuild and established everyone, you'll probably be able to put more focus on feuds.

I like the changes announced for 2019: the new logos, new show, new title and how you tied it in with the Title Bout Wrestling name.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CGCGearingUp.jpg.e24e2dcdf18f87e852a7907cb1a7db33.jpg

GCG GEARING UP #1

SEGMENT 1: COLD OPEN 

2019 begins with a shot of a storage room turned into an office. Alex DeColt guides new commissioner Lee Bennett inside, and informs him that in his contract the role was "commissioner of CGC TV show", which means he has the authority to station him on Gearing Up, where he will have full control and responsibility of keeping things in check. Bennett protests, but sadly he's just not a charismatic enough promo to get his way with the boss. 

Rating: 58

MATCH 1: DAN DRAPER VS ZEUS MAXIMILLION 

The first match of the year maybe can't be described as huge, but it was a ton of fun with Maximillion finally getting to play a big conquering babyface and Draper stooging for him (it's clear that management thinks he needs more seasoning before getting a push). The match didn't at all overstay its welcome and ended around the seven minute mark with Draper tapping out to the Olympian Clutch.

Rating: 48 

SEGMENT 2: A CONQUEST BEGINS

After the match, Zeus Maximillon announced his intention of challenging himself to once again reach the top level he can before his time runs out, saying he's going to come out here every week laying out an open challenge to the locker room, testing himself and wanting to get himself hot for Wrestlefestival season.

Rating: 45 

SEGMENT 3: FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON ME. FOOL ME TWICE, COME ON MAN. REALLY?

Whippy The Clown cuts a promo on tonight's main event, and it's a very simple one: Curtis Mobstar keeps challenging for the CC belt and he keeps failing. Skip Beau beat him like, a billion times. And Whippy destroyed (rolled up) Beau, so this is really a waste of time. What even is a "street fight" anyway? Sounds just like no DQ! Regardless, Whippy aims to never lose the belt and send Mobstar back to California. 

Rating: 54

MATCH 2: BLOCKBUSTER & IAN DECOLT VS MARC DUBOIS & RICKY STORM 

Another quick match in comparison to what we're used to on last year's Title Bout Wrestling, clocking around 10 minutes. A sprint used to highlight Blockbuster who seems to maybe getting rehabed kind of after last year's failures (does anyone even remember him beating Jungle Jack Marlowe only to not do anything of importance?) and his newfound alliance with Ian DeColt who despite losing the belt is at his most dastardly yet incorporating "Stone" family moves to his repertoire. Blockbuster pinned Ricky Storm with a BusterBomb as we get an interference with Hugh Ancrie distracting the babyfaces. 

Rating: 62 

SEGMENT 4: ELIMINATION PLANS LAID OUT 

Ian DeColt after the match poses with Blockbuster and Ancrie and says that he's allied himself with the best of both sides of Canadian wrestling. He challenges Dubois to find two teammates for an Elimination match, so that he can lose one more time before DeColt invokes his rematch clause and takes back what is rightfully his. 

Rating: 60 

MAIN EVENT: VANCOUVER STREET FIGHT FOR THE CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP: CURTIS MOBSTAR VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C) 

These two got 15 minutes to work with, and it was plenty enough for a solid match. There was a lot of crowd brawling and using planted props found in the seating areas. Mobstar tried to take the fight "to the streets" by taking Whippy behind Crippler position but Whippy avoided that and literally ran to the ring grabbing a water gun from under the ring and waiting for Mobstar. It took a while for him to appear and it became clear why as he had a steel chain wrapped around his right hand. Whippy's water gun included pepper spray (supposedly) so that was a painful spot and Whippy hit the clownin' around for a nearfall but Mobstar courageously kicked out, ran the ropes with closed eyes on pure instinct and just started punching hoping he'd hit Whippy who dodged everything and went for a backslide, but that's when a steel-infused backfist caught him on the back of his head and with him knocked out Curtis recovered and wrapped the chain around Whippy's neck before hitting the Flattener DDT and winning his first CGC championship! 

Rating: 53

Show Rating: 56

• Like 3

Ah man, I'd missed this a lot.

What a hot first episode to get people checking out the new show, with the champion taking an L in the middle of the show and a title change in an entertaining main event. I'm always rooting for Whippy, but this had been built up for a while and I get the sense Mobstar is someone else you really enjoy writing for, so I'm sure it will be a fun reign. The opener worked well too in establishing Zeus as a focal point of Gearing Up, while I was excited by the first tease of WrestleFestival in the distance.

The opening segment premise made me laugh: that the first thing broadcast on a new show was the authority figure regarding being put in charge of it as a demotion. I'm not sure it would work in NOTBPW but I feel like CGC is irreverent and chaotic enough for such a skit to hit just right.

Edited by 619
  • Like 1

@619 Imback.thumb.webp.9b87fba51c81c66ffd7f5827e629b959.webp

*Until I find away to ruin this or my schedule again.

TitleBoutWrestling.jpg.bebf108deb8493fb16a6eba6d5cfc578.jpg

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING, SUNDAY WEEK 1 OF JANUARY 2019 

SEGMENT 1: WELCOME TO CBN 

The show opens with a beautiful highlight reel of all-time CGC moments set to inspirational soft rock music, the powerslams, the title wins, the brawls and the comeback kid's redemption. But this is wrestling, so there's a heel with a microphone to put a stop to wholesomeness and appreciation. 3/4s of the Golden Elite, the competitors of the Elimination main event come out, and Jamie Atherton welcomes everyone to this new era saying they'll have to get used to his face blessing their screens. He notes however that the company hasn't conditioned the fans to it, seeing as he wasn't in the video people just had to sit through, not the promotional material. In fact, the dynastic tag team champions alongside him didn't have a single clip either. He obviously accuses Alex DeColt of personal bias, one that even let him to unretire after getting his ass whooped by the greatest showman twice. Meanwhile the Blondes are doing mean mugging and expressions so they can be rated on charisma. On the Combatron we can see Alex DeColt connecting from his private gym, making it a point of emphasis that he's getting into the best shape of his life because making Atherton shut up is a huge motivator for him. He advises the Elite to get ready for their match tonight, because Skip and Robin are really excited to get their hands on them on next Friday's Gearing Up. 

Rating: 68 

SEGMENT 2: THE BRACKETS ARE OUT 

In a specifically designated, kind of updated studio-like backstage area, we find Jenny Playmate who announces the participants of the tournament that will be held to crown the first ever CBN Champion (there was actually a non-channel specific Television belt that preluded the Canadian belt in the mid-90's that only DeColt's held, a bit of a prelude to the next 14 years of TV). She announces them giving away all four first round matchups: Clause Reed vs Whippy the Clown, Robin DaLay vs Philippe LeGrenier, Hugh Ancrie vs Sterling Whitlock and Killer Karson vs Ricky Storm, with the first two matches taking place tonight!

Rating: 55

MATCH 1: ROBIN DALAY VS PHILIPPE LEGRENIER 

Two big beefy men that would make good ambassadors for the channel, it was the all-business attitude of the young DaLay teaming up with LeGrenier's vanity in a handicap match. An american-style by the numbers brawl with some Sports Entertainment elements, no one was surprised where Philippe threw away a control segment to fix his hair, which led to a lariat/Deadlift Powerbomb double punch that gave Robin a big round one win. The young man has title winning aspirations and a PPV main event on his mind and still was more focused than the disappointing Philippe, something that was put over by Ditterich on commentary.

Rating: 44

MATCH 2: BRETT FRASER, BIFF THE BRUISER AND JOEY POISON VS THE GOLDEN ELITE 

Biff the Bruiser is a debut/return that needs no introduction. Multiple time winner of strongman competitions in his home country of Canada, multiple short stints in CGC, he is a man in incredible physical shape for his age (at 47, the oldest wrestler on the roster), and a shoot badass. He had a great 10 month record 16 defense reign with the Canadian belt a couple years ago, then left for a good paycheck at the cinematic Battles of Hell promotion, only to seemingly return for one last run. Anyway, for the match itself, the veterans really didn't perform at their best while the Golden Elite carried the match, just trading meaningless spots until the finish where Brett Fraser blindsided his former Tough & Glorious tag team partner, turning heel and abandoning him with Biff! This led to Atherton hitting Poison with the Dangerous Brainbuster, finally pinning him after feuding with him for a while in 2018. 

Rating: 53 

SEGMENT 3: MAIN EVENT MEDITATION 

Ricky Storm and Sterling Whitlock are main eventing this show against Ant-Man and Topher Smith, both duos bidding to assist Marc Dubois in answering Ian DeColt's elimination challenge, which finally means Whitlock gets to interact with the guru that inspired him so much, he abandoned the guidance of his trainer Alexander Robinson. This segment is a chance for Sterling to fanboy over pseudo-esoteric surface readings of Eastern spiritualism while Ricky Storm is completely oblivious to the weeirdness of his behaviour and just reassuring him that no matter the result of tonight's main event, it's just another obstacle to attaining their best selves.

Rating: 61

SEGMENT 4: THE NEW CHAMP

We get a video of Curtis Mobstar celebrating his title win, drinking, partying and most importantly, working hard in the gym with the belt hanging on the wall for extra motivation. This is accompanied by a promo where he states his intent to defend the belt at Elimination instead of participating in a multiman match, and that his challengers need to be prepared to bleed to take the title off of him, CBN be damned.

Rating: 50 

MATCH 3: CLAUSE REED VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN 

It seems that Whippy's way to cope with losing the Canadian Chaos belt is to just chase a new belt, as he doesn't really seem phased and is hyperfocused at the task at hand: Reed maybe a relative rookie, but he's a hard worker and has improved a lot in his first year of being a CGC Combatant. A solid match between the two with Reed getting a lot of babyface shine ends with Whippy hitting a top rope Clowning Around because he had kind of buried the normal version of the move as a finisher lately. 

Rating: 56 

MAIN EVENT: THE GOPHER & THE ANT VS RICKY STORM & STERLING WHITLOCK

Dubois is at ringside for this match, less to evaluate the four men but more to be there in case of interference. The two teams had a really fun sprint and took advantage of the rare face vs fare tag team matchup in order to really bring out some of their more indierrific moves. Well, other than Whitlock who's a straight ahead brawler when not trying to do movie kung fu- which he did a lot of here. Topher Smith's ability to be really safe while doing things most wrestlers wouldn't really served him well here in front of the fresh audience as his hot tag got the crowd buzzing. He almost pinned Whitlock with a tornado DDT, Storm broke up the pin, and Whitlock broke off the hot tag by hitting both men really hard, until he screeched before a backfist that missed his opponents and hit Ricky Storm, incapacitating him. This allowed Ant-Man to deadlift him with a package German Suplex and Topher Smith to hit the Gopher Suicide Dive while Ant-Man suplexed him, giving them the winning pin and meaning the unofficial Superfriends will be facing team...Canadian wrestling? at Elimination.

Rating: 59 

SEGMENT 5: ALL-OUT WAR

Of course, Dubois being there only meant there was a target on all three guys and the heels wasted no time attacking and blindsiding their Elimination opponents, with Ancrie and  DeColt targeting the legs of DuBois after incapacitating the lightweight tag team, then getting Blockbuster to powerbomb the World Champ through the announce table. Smith got up in time to try and dive on the heels but it only led to him getting flung into the crowd.

Rating: 51 

Show Rating: 60 

• Like 2

Elimination feels like the perfect event to showcase just how much more stacked the roster is now than a year ago. The top title not being defended will also increase the spotlight on Mobster and the Canadian Title on the undercard, which is cool.

The show opening was perfect: the heels interrupting the history piece and making it all about them.

I was shocked by the Brett Fraser heel turn on Joey Poison but it makes sense as they were unlikely to become champions and it gives them both something new to get stuck into, as well as immediately making Biff relevant.

The ending was a nice contrast to go from an all-babyface main event to a group of heels standing tall. The Gopher & The Ant felt like a big deal, both in getting the main event win and Smith refusing to stay down at the end.

• Like 1

@619 Interesting that the heel turn was a shock considering I was really rough on Fraser who pretty much did nothing last year. Then again, that also means I didn't give any reason to think he'd get something to do before retirement so, fair enough! Thought it was a fine first show as well, although I appreciate you adding the reasoning and logic to my decisions haha.

CGC GEARING UP #2 RESULTS 

-Skip Beau and Robin DaLay defeated The Canadian Blondes (59)

-Brett Fraser squashed Lewis Frey (39) 

-Zeus Maximillion beat Spencer Edmund (41) 

CGC Weekly Notes: 

-Most of the matches at Elimination that aren't being built are going to be thrown together multi-mans, with the belief that some might ignite feuds to lead to Wrestlefestival season. 

-It's been cutting season for most companies lately, but CGC seem to be showing remarkable restraint in comparison to last year, with only one new permanent name thought to be coming in in the next few weeks. One that is thought to be a "big indie name".

-After a lot of internal deliberation, Alex DeColt, Skip Beau and Robin DaLay vs The Golden Elite has been penciled in to main event Elimination.

-No decisions made with another company to showcase their talent on Wrestlefestival yet, as the Garcia regime wants to make it a tradition but no one was impressed by the reception the FCW talent got last year. 

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 1

Apologies, the Brett Fraser thing is probably on me for misremembering how things were looking before the dynasty's hiatus. I enjoyed this update. A PPV with more than one plausible main event is a nice problem to have, and the match that's pencilled in feels worthy given Alex DeColt PPV matches are a novelty at this point, the strength of The Golden Elite and the length of the feud. It's a nice rub for Robin DaLay if he does get that PPV main event so early in his run/career.

• 2 weeks later...

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING - SUNDAY WEEK 2 OF JANUARY 2019 

SEGMENT 1: FTE 

This week, the babyfaces open the show. Alex DeColt stands alongside his Elimination teammates of Skip Beau and Robin DaLay, congratulating them for beating the Canadian Blondes on last week's Gearing Up. He says they've earned a title shot for next week's Title Bout Wrestling, and reiterates that the Golden Elite is going to pay in blood on Sunday for being a disruptive force. Skip chimes in to add how this is just the start of a memorable Wrestlefestival journey for him and DaLay, and that he aims to make this the year of the Raging Bull. Robin DaLay is vaguely cool alongside them. 

Rating: 62

MATCH 1: HUGH ANCRIE VS STERLING WHITLOCK 

Another first round matchup for the CBN title tournament, two of the brightest stars in the company had a wrestling clinic coupled with Whitlock's martial-arts-weeb character work he's been doing as of late. The mat work is meticulous but happens in short bursts to not bore the crowd, the strikes crisp and the two men fabulous looking. However, as it often has lately, Whitlock's newfound showmanship proved to be his undoing, trying to do a pirouette before hitting a backfist and just finding himself getting trapped in the Crying Game dragon sleeper and tapping out. Ancrie gets some much needed momentum.

MATCH 2: BIFF THE BRUISER & BRETT FRASER VS GENERATION Z

You know what you get from this match by just reading it off the sheet and...yep. The kids bumped their asses off for the vets, then got murdered for their troubles. They might be really valuable members of the division by 2022! Brett got the pin with a DDT, not really justifying his heel turn considering the level but it's a start.

Rating: 38 

SEGMENT 2: POISONED WELL

Joey Poison hits the ring after the match, demanding explanations for Fraser's betrayal, but all he gets is steamrolled by the two super heavyweights before he can even articulate a point. 

Rating: 43 

SEGMENT 3: BTGE 

The Golden Elite boys articulate a response to what they consider "targeted harassment and workplace discrimination", with The Canadian Blondes being forced to defend their tag belts ON FREE TV being the last straw. They are not going to Elimination to win a wrestling match, but to end three careers and finally overcome the oppression of the DeColt regime. 

Rating: 67 

MATCH 3: KILLER KARSON VS RICKY STORM 

Turns out years of facing these 21CW monsters has made Ricky Storm adept at matching up with bigger opponents. He delivered a virtuoso performance and gave Karson by far his best match so far in his short career, without even bumping too much. Rather, the continuous motion and action drove the contest into a state where every move looked like it took everything out of the opponent because they might not keep up, and Storm dodging the Killer Boot only to hit a knock-out Spinning Wheel Kick was a very memorable match finish.

Rating: 64 

SEGMENT 4: THE CONTRACT KILLER 

A short video plays reminding us of the fact Dusty Ducont exists and putting over a prizefighter essence in his character, perhaps to explain his absence from TV. It does kind of work though maybe. 

Rating: 52

MAIN EVENT: BLOCKBUSTER VS MARC DUBOIS 

This was a way overbooked main event that reached 15 minutes but maybe 5 of them were "bullshit-free". Every participant in next Saturday's 3v3 match made an appearance, which undermined Blockbuster's attempt to look threatening and only happened to lead to a Marc Dubois roll up win to put over the fact the babyfaces CAN win even with all the chaos factor going on. Maybe the first Dubois match to underdeliver since his CGC debut. After the match all 6 men had a short staredown as we went off the air.

Rating: 56 

Show Rating: 60 

• Like 4

I loved the meta "they might be really valuable members of the division by 2022" line about Generation Z (FTE/BTGE too). I enjoyed The Golden Elite's complaints of harassment and am looking forward to Elimination and things starting to fall into place for WrestleFestival.

CGC GEARING UP #2 RESULTS 

-Ian De Colt def. Ant-Man (63) 

-Thunder & Lightning def. The Montreal Mafia (51) 

-Zeus Maximillion def. Gahtir Salim (47) 

CGC Weekly Notes: 

-Luck of the Draw is expected to stay on the PPV rotation for this year and take place in February like usual. 

-The Card for Elimination comprises of: 

Alex DeColt, Skip Beau & Robin DaLay vs The Golden Elite in a CGC Elimination Match 

Blockbuster, Ian DeColt and Hugh Ancrie vs Ant-Man, Marc Dubois & Topher Smith in a CGC Elimination Match 

Curtis Mobstar vs Whoever steps up in a Chair War match 

Biff The Bruiser, Brett Fraser & Whippy The Clown vs Joey Poison, Ricky Storm & Sterling Whitlock in a CGC Elimination Match 

Clause Reed, Teddy Thompson & Zeus Maximillion vs Dan DaLay, Killer Karson & Gahtir Salim 

EMOe NOTMan & The Montreal Mafia vs ??? and Thunder & Lightning 

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to Elimination. It feels like it's come around at the perfect time to show off the roster depth you've built. I love that Curtis Mobstar gets the spotlight of the standalone singles match and is keeping the Canadian Chaos factor alive, I'm excited for the Whippy-Joey reunion and I'm intrigued if we'll get any teases of what might be coming up at WrestleFestival.

• Like 1

Alex DeColt, Skip Beau & Robin DaLay vs The Golden Elite in a CGC Elimination Match 
It's hard to bet against Alex DeColt, but when I see the names DeColt and DaLay teaming together I can't help but think there's some shenanigans that'll happen.

Blockbuster, Ian DeColt and Hugh Ancrie vs Ant-Man, Marc Dubois & Topher Smith in a CGC Elimination Match 
Marc Dubois can indeed overcome the odds.

Curtis Mobstar vs Whoever steps up in a Chair War match
The Mystery is tempting, but I like Curtis Mobstar a lot so I'm taking him.

Biff The Bruiser, Brett Fraser & Whippy The Clown vs Joey Poison, Ricky Storm & Sterling Whitlock in a CGC Elimination Match 
I love Whippy, Brett, and Biff, but time is definitely not on their side. I suppose it's not on Joey Poison's side either, but Ricky Storm and Sterling Whitlock are definitely guys on the rise.

Clause Reed, Teddy Thompson & Zeus Maximillion vs Dan DaLay, Killer Karson & Gahtir Salim
Not sure at all on this, but I think Gahtir Salim is the weak link here and since it's not an elimination the faces take it.

EMOe NOTMan & The Montreal Mafia vs ??? and Thunder & Lightning
I can't vote against a mystery man twice.

• Like 2

CGC ELIMINATION XVII REPORT

CGCpsx.jpg.8d85a0acdf71a76d1daefa5a6ad6af61.jpg

Live on U-Demand Canada (23,832 buys)

Held at TESA (6,069 attendance) 

MATCH 1: EMOE NOTMAN & THE MONTREAL MAFIA VS DIABLO DUVAK & THUNDER AND LIGHTNING

MoeNormalAsaemon(3).jpg.ead7aaa224758c693cc7e3771f9b3dd3.jpg DermottAyres.jpg.f1085139aa6679855219191c92d5f8e5.jpg MarcRaisinAsaemon(2).jpg.ef6af4ea96c8dc685df2ef6e5bfdf7c1.jpg

VS 

DiabloDuvak(2).jpg.87a533527a8d4d8ddc2106cf1f158d8c.jpg JasonThunderAsaemon.jpg.98a1be200e0d597f688a07d9c6311c7e.jpg LightningLomasAsaemon.jpg.508293e37fd310c650ca6677968e15f5.jpg

The surprise arrival for this match is ACPW's Diablo Duvak, a renowned luchador-style worker who's been very successful in that company before apparently signing with CGC. Though his name was taken more... literally by the commentary team, and EMOe NOTman who was freaked out by the impish luchador. The match was fine, a bit of a TV match in a PPV setting, until Duvak decided to pull a disappearing act, abandoning his teammates and letting them lose to the Montreal Mafia who got their win back as Ayres got Lightning with the Montreal Crab. The mood wasn't that celebratory however, as the winners were more perplexed by the supernatural sight. 

Rating: 45 

MATCH 2: CLAUSE REED, TEDDY THOMPSON & ZEUS MAXIMILLION VS DAN DALAY AND KILLER KARSON & GAHTIR SALIM

ClauseReed.jpg.d6be2f43898da05b0c28048f93be9e78.jpg TeddyThompson.jpg.d1f44dae8f2810f1cf84bcdfb05b9ac4.jpg ZeusMaxmillionjtlant2.jpg.415a9ff240b063c17ca2c9530e954a8c.jpg

VS 

DanDaLayKingBison.jpg.19dca6ed258afe5263e6e9cfe634e26f.jpg GahtirSalim_2.jpg.c6a4d61ee35310e542d3b86f48330e99.jpg KillerKhan.jpg.d2d6fc79e62ac2a9d56af5625e7bc761.jpg

This match turned out a bit better as Zeus has started 2019 in fine form. A lot of quick back and forths characterize this contest, with the heels really pulling all the classic tricks slowing down a face until they tag a fresher one. This is also one of the bigger contests in recent time, with everyone in the ring being pretty damn beefy. DaLay and Karson hit a double chokeslam on Thompson, I guess establishing a team signature, but this was more solid than great and at some point started to autopilot towards the finish: Maximillion got in the ring with Gahtir Salim, hit him with a beautiful belly throw suplex and worked the back on his way to locking in the Olympian Clutch. He's now starting a little, humble win streak! 

MATCH 3: BIFF THE BRUISER AND BRETT FRASER & WHIPPY THE CLOWN VS JOEY POISON, RICKY STORM & STERLING WHITLOCK IN A CGC ELIMINATION MATCH

BiffTheBruiser(2).jpg.d5dc6ef38c48143c8555e085c800c09b.jpg BrettFraser.jpg.37cca93af40e20571a494ab01f700349.jpg WhippyTheClownShipshirt1.jpg.ee7203a60251acb64b8501655bb9587b.jpg

VS

JoeyPoisonShipshirt.jpg.5985ab9f939e723ae44ff2d9581359e3.jpg RickyStormShipshirt.jpg.34f9dfa3831d47ed39b7aeff235e8116.jpg SterlingWhitlock.jpg.2eb3742ad3e8a1af16ce1b03260b2813.jpg

The first of three CGC Elimination matches on the show, this means tornado tag, falls count anywhere, no disqualifications. This covered up the large amount of...age on display by letting everyone be violent and play to the crowd. Although the biggest amount of it came from Sterling Whitlock who passionately exhibited his knowledge of white guy kung fu for everyone and actually beat the crap out of the heels at some points. There was also a lot of focus on trying to eliminate Joey Poison early on, with all three guys having a burning hatred of him. That however allowed the younger stars to get an advantage and fight them off almost unopposed, until the match scattered as these tend to do. The first elimination was in the ring, as Whitlock did a crane pose before hitting Whippy The Clown with a shoot headbutt. He then did his poses for the crowd, hyping them up for the Whitlock's End, only to be raked in the eyes and rolled up by the clown prince of grappling. Now fighting two on three, Storm and Poison had to work extra hard and together, even including a spot of Storm hauling Joey Poison to the two tough veterans, but the elimination of Biff The Bruiser came off of stoppage, with Ricky Storm knocking him out with a kick. When the match became a two on two, that's when the action condensed again, with Whippy trying to use "clown" props in order to get an elimination but Storm and Poison protecting each other well. 

The new heel version of Fraser showed a renewed and impressive resilience but when Storm and Poison grabbed weapons of their own it was over for the moose hunter. A twist of fate on the steel steps was enough to secure his elimination. However, what looked like was going to be a cathartic beatdown on Whippy by the babyfaces turned into Whippy blinding them with the ol' water from a flower trick, then getting a backslide on Ricky Storm. The last section of the match was mostly about Whippy taking too much leisure when it came to beating up Joey Poison, working over his back and face at a snail's pace, then putting him on a table and wanting to hit a Moonsault through it for the win. Of course, he paid for his hubris by going through the table as Poison dodged, before Joey grabbed a trash can and a lid, put Whippy's head in the can then hit it with the lid, unnecessarily putting the knocked out clown in the antidote cradle for the win.

Rating: 57 

MATCH 4: CGC CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP CHAIR WAR MATCH: DRAKE YOUNG VS CURTIS MOBSTAR (C) 

DrakeYoung.jpg.178708dd38d9eb82218e3bf37e86798e.jpg CGCCanadian2.jpg.49ad822982301a5d59256ee99721372a.jpg MobstarWillr0ck2.jpg.e3defa9bb5d9dbba9b158a08f0818bbf.jpg

Pretty straightforward story and match. Curtis was pissed off that this was his opponent and just beat the crap out of him with a chair for 8 minutes, before pinning him with an Impaler DDT on a chair. After the match, he said that he'll be going after his opponents from now on to avoid situations like this. 

Rating: 44 

MATCH 5: ANT-MAN AND TOPHER SMITH & MARC DUBOIS VS BLOCKBUSTER, HUGH ANCRIE & IAN DECOLT IN A CGC ELIMINATION MATCH 

ant-manWillr0ck1.jpg.70ac48b0ca02032388474d998ad5afc5.jpg TopherSmithJTLant.jpg.d7745193b75cfbfda6f139f035eb94d8.jpg MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.83626f2f42dc934f07fca481bd626bf1.jpg

VS 

BlockbusterkingBison1.jpg.5924cda8c916ab4001831e9e8b221326.jpg HughAncrieKingBison.jpg.747528ab1a8da617f21e18627ae2b67e.jpg AaronKnightParker_Stiles.jpg.90bd75df25ac53302803e3ea715a0c21.jpg

This match was structured more similarly to a normal 6 man tag, with a lot of team moves and almost clean action early on, until the heels decided they need to take action if they are to make a quick elimination. Ant-Man tried to do one of his signature spots deadlifting Hugh Ancrie for a brainbuster, but Blockbuster came in and punched him to the back of the head, taking advantage of closed fists being allowed in a no dq setting. Ian rolled a chair in that Ancrie blocked Topher Smith's suicide dive with, and Dubois was found in a three on one setting momentarily, being three-man powerbombed on the steel steps. Gopher & The Ant prevented an elimination, but they couldn't fight 3 on 2 for long- a Blockbuster bomb to Ant-Man on Topher Smith caused both men to be eliminated simultaneously. The faces proved to be naive in their strategy to treat this as a normal match, and the rest of the match was a torture with Dubois getting little offense in on the heels, until miscommunication struck, Blockbuster kicked DeColt, Dubois grabbed a chair and hit all three men, getting enough separation to get the Dubious Dubois Pin on Ancrie! This wasn't the opening he was looking for to take charge of the match however, as that only made the two heels more vicious. They handcuffed Dubois to the turnbuckle and just kept hitting shots to all his limbs and asked him if he would quit. Of course, the champion and face of the company wouldn't, so they had to ask the ref if pinning him to the turnbuckle after knocking him out would count as falls count anywhere. Then, an awkward cartoon spot happened with Dubois stealing the key to the handcuffs from Blockbuster without him noticing, freed himself and rolled out the ring to grab a chain. The crowd's roar betrayed what had happened and the heels scrambled to grab anything they could. Dubois hit a top rope double axe handle on Blockbuster with the chain, then an european uppercut on Ian, and managed to pin Blockbuster. However, Ian DeColt never went down, and took very little damage in the rest of the match. This meant that Dubois was still groggily selling and just turned into an Identity Theft. 1...2....3. Simple as. The odds were just too stacked, as they can be sometimes.

Rating: 69 

SEGMENT: THE FINAL SHOWDOWN 

After the match, Ian DeColt gloated at pinning the champion, at outmaneuvering him on every turn, and at earning himself a rematch for HIS CGC World Championship. Luck of the Draw. Ian DeColt. Marc Dubois. No Holds Barred. 

Rating: 67 

MATCH 6: ALEX DECOLT, ROBIN DALAY & SKIP BEAU VS THE GOLDEN ELITE IN A CGC ELIMINATION MATCH 

AlexDeColtKingBison1.jpg.8a0d439e7b4fa9c4b4e2290d72af43a6.jpg RobinDaLayjtlant1.jpg.7e9d9eb9e0377084b7c11107fa903d3c.jpg SkipBeauParker_Stiles.jpg.270f88a667873f4fae722283c6d6f93a.jpg

VS 

JamieAthertonshipshirt.jpg.aa4f05e00f2c437981f4a58fd254e626.jpg FlashSavage2.jpg.818f7fc4432db30b4cc8307d335e5dcd.jpg OzzieGoldenPoputt.jpg.4810cedd5b227379464cca627eaefafd.jpg

Experts are calling it "the most overbooked match in CGC history". But they're wrong, as the dark days have faded from memory. This was pretty much a 4 on 3, with Danny Draper acting more like a complete nuisance than a mascot. Also there was a TON of smoke and mirrors to distract from the extra 7 months of age on the boss's body. There were a lot of teamwork spots that were planned to have the contestants take a breather or work the fans in between so that they can catch their breaths, especially as we're talking about three brawlers vs three and really four cruiserweights. The first fall was shocking as Ozzie Golden and Robin DaLay eliminated each other by landing awkwardly from a 6 person tower of doom spot, which really helped make the rest of the match more focused. After a break and some weapon shots, we got the start of what was to come, with Alex DeColt and Skip Beau launching Dan Draper over the announce table onto Adrian Garcia. Alex DeColt hit the DeColt Driver on Garcia and Beau the Flow Down on Draper, which even'd the field and got the crowd to really begin roaring. Flash and Atherton had to work really hard to cheat really hard to regain control, but they just couldn't put the faces away. The size difference made things easier for Alex and Skip, as a DeColt Driver on Flash was paired with Skip putting Jamie in a Cobra Twist to not break up the pin. With a numbers' advantage, the two faces planned to put Atherton through the announce table with a Flow Down/Superfly Splash combo, but a masked man threw Alex DeColt off the top rope and allowed Atherton to take advantage, slipping out and hitting Skip with the Dangerous Brainbuster through the announce table, pinning him. The masked man left from the crowd while being chased by security, and led to the final fall: Alex DeColt vs Jamie Atherton. 

This was a mini match where both men bladed, both men hit their finishers leading to a kickout, and essentially when Alex really started to run out of breath, they decided to go home. Atherton used some extremely painful weapons to lead DeColt to his knees, with shots to the back and the stomach area, then ran the ropes to get to his crucifix bomb, but Alex DeColt powered through, deadlifting him with the back part of his arms and crashing with all his might to an exposed turnbuckle (with Atherton protected as he mostly went between the top and middle buckle). From there, he hit all three finishers of the DeColt Brothers, then George DeColt's Superfly Splash for the win, teaching everyone a lesson: a DeColt would never go out on his back. It's no dignified way to retire in CGC. 

Show Rating: 66

CGCBannerpsx.jpg.6b193693ef642df946356d09b8384581.jpg

• Like 2

It's so great to get CGC back on PPV and be reminded of your talent for making each match feel distinct, even on a card with five separate six-man matches.

I enjoyed the chaos factor of the Diablo Duvak appearance, and I'm really into the Zeus resurgence. I wasn't expected the first elimination match to come down to Joey and Whippy: what a treat to relive the dynasty's origins.

I think the semi-main was the most perfectly booked: putting Dubois in the 3-on-1 situation and even then having him threatening to run through the entire heel team, only for Ian DeColt to get a cheap win back over him and set Luck Of The Draw up.

And what a night for the "family" as Alex DeColt stood tall at the end of the show, justifying the main event choice for me even if the Dubois match rating shaded it. I guess the outcome was hinted at by the masked man deciding the penultimate fall rather than the final one, but it still had me guessing. On balance, Alex probably needed the win if this wasn't to be his last match. I wonder if he finishes up at WrestleFestival, or if he feels he's got a lot more in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

@Tiberiousthank you for the predictions! They were a more sensible and crowdpleasing show but my decisions were set in stone due to looking to the Road to Wrestlefestival™. 

@619thank you so much! Those tornado 6 man tags are harder to write than I first thought, I'm not completely satisfied with the result but I did okay. Just too much variance going on. 

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING - SUNDAY, WEEK 3 JANUARY 2019 

TitleBoutWrestling.jpg.11ef0fa91e73d35502efb7d4bd8fdbc4.jpg

SEGMENT 1: STARTING THINGS OFF HOT 

The show begins in media res, with Ricky Storm making his entrance and Hugh Ancrie attacking him from behind. However, Ricky has a third eye on his back and dodges the incoming attack, with the two men brawling at ringside and into the ring to begin the match. 

Rating: 66 

MATCH 1: HUGH ANCRIE VS RICKY STORM 

This could have been the final of the tournament, except thankfully it wasn't because I didn't put an associated storyline and the rating got penalized! A high-speed sprint with a lot of strikes and very pointed matwork, this was a Wrestling match between two guys who are coming into their prime. Ancrie however was clearly angry and unfocused at his ruse not working and he got hit with many stiff kicks that he tried to brush off...eventually just crashing and getting worked over by the martial artist. They got a bit indierrific in the end, with Storm needing two Superkicks to put him away instead of one, but this was a good opening. 

Rating: 49 

SEGMENT 2: AGENT TO THE STARS? 

CGC Canadian Chaos Champion Curtis Mobstar is backstage, scribbling down on a notebook of potential targets when he's approached by his Elimination opponent, Drake Young. Drake says he's so impressed by the thorough ass kicking Mobstar delivered to him, that he's willing to become his new agent. He lists his accomplishments as "getting Philippe LeGrenier back in the company before being cowardly betrayed" and our champion is very whelmed by that. However, Drake does offer to scout out Mobstar's next challenger since he was having trouble with that, and Curtis reluctantly accepts. 

Rating: 46 

SEGMENT 3: THE REASON LUCK OF THE DRAW WASN'T SCRAPPED

We go to Jenny Playmate, who announces there will be a special match held at CGC's next PPV: The Luck of the Draw Scramble! 5 wrestlers will participate, randomly selected through a lottery machine she's standing next to, and one name will be announced on each Title Bout Wrestling until the show, the final Combatant on the night itself. As a scramble match, these competitors will get 30 minutes, and the one to get the most pinfall or submissions wins the ultimate prize: A title shot at the Main Event of the 2019 edition of the CGC DeColt Wrestlefestival! The first participant selected is Sterling Whitlock, who conveniently walks into frame and is absolutely kicking the air and doing drunken master routines, almost breaking the lottery machine. He apologizes but says he'll show what his opponents have to expect from him, next! (Well-timed commercial break)

Rating: 58 

MATCH 2: GAHTIR SALIM VS STERLING WHITLOCK 

There's a lot of chops and it's a pretty fun match for the 6 minutes it lasts. But ultimately, I'd be wasting words if I sold it for something more than it was. Whitlock's lariats put an end to it pretty mercilessly. 

Rating: 52 

SEGMENT 4: A SPIRITUAL WARNING

The Montreal Mafia are preparing for Marc Raisin's match that is happening shortly, when they're approached by the definitely not vampire EMOe NOTman. He's very concerned for them and asks them if they felt the negative energy on Saturday, being in the ring with a literal hellspawn. They completely no-sell his paraphysical concern while he assures them he'll be by them if there's a time of need dealing with the demonic. 

Rating: 36 

MATCH 3: ALEXANDER ROBINSON VS MARC RAISIN 

A bit of a return match as the veteran hasn't been seen since his alliance with Sterling Whitlock ended. Established singles guy vs tag guy + return means it's fairly predictable, but also there's a cool factor of bitter veteran throwing a high flier around- and Raisin is a particularly small wrestler. But it's not the world's most exciting contest, and the Canadian Violence running european uppercut ended proceedings in very short fashion, less than 8 minutes in. 

Rating: 46 

SEGMENT 5: WAIT A THING THAT WAS SET UP AN HOUR AGO IS HAPPENING?

After the contest, Drake Young comes out and offers Robinson the Canadian Chaos title shot for Luck of the Draw, and the veteran happily takes it. 

MAIN EVENT: ROBIN DALAY & SKIP BEAU VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) FOR THE CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS 

They got the PPV time allocation, and these two teams goddamn delivered by far the best TV match of the year for the company so far. The unusual dynamic of big faces against lightweight heels worked really well in terms of giving us crowdpleasing offense, and the Blondes finally, after spending the first half of their match doing the complacent routine, brought things up a notch and did some incredible work. DaLay held up pretty well as the by far most inexperienced wrestler. Skip bumped like crazy in the heel comeback where their increased workrate combined with Draper's timely interference led to Beau taking a top rope bump to the outside landing (safely) on the guardrail, and it left Robin isolated with the heels. He fought them off real hard with strikes, but when he tried the belly to belly piledriver on Flash, Ozzie Golden chopblocked him and it was the beginning of the end, before tapping out to Flash Savage's Boston Crab finisher. 

Show Rating: 65 

• Like 3

I love The Luck of the Draw Scramble. When I tried out 2022 CGC, I wasn't sure if there was any Luck of the Draw lore for what was meant to happen, so I went with a random-draw eight-man tournament to crown the WrestleFestival challenger. But this scramble fits the luck theme so much better: you just need one great performance to get the dream ticket. And I love the execution of having a different entrant drawn each week to build up maximum suspense for who might be going to WrestleFestival.

Plenty of fun stuff on this show as always, but I think it was the Drake Young role and Canadian Chaos story that intrigued me most.

• Like 1