CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

Thank you once again! The tag division is in a great place other than the fact I need to have more non-title feuds, but that's something I need to do a better job in general which, Ι always need to keep improving, and these next few shows are a good chance to do so.

What I won't do is self-reflect on the fact I cheapened out hiring Curt Merritt for the color commentator job, or got Adrian Garcia out of the booth to manage a stable that doesn't need a mouthpiece in the first place. Nope, it's not my fault, I deserve 0 of the blame. Totally not. I mean who could have even predicted things going wrong here? Not me, clearly!

• Haha 1

Haha, as frustrating as the colour commentary catastrophe sandbagging the show rating must have been, it makes for a fun extra challenge to try to write a way back into the booth for Garcia that doesn't diminish Atherton's wish. Or perhaps you go the other way and make Atherton wasting his wish when he could be champion by now part of the story. However you play it, it's going to be an enjoyable additional dynamic.

• Like 1

BACK IN MONTREAL! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING WITH THE BIGGEST MATCH OF THE YEAR! 

Match Card 

CGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 

Marc Dubois vs Ian DeColt (C) 

Blockbuster clashes against Curtis Mobstar! 

The Golden Elite's Dan Draper and Canadian Blondes face Skip Beau and Generation Z! 

Dusty Ducont returns against the Lumberhunk Clause Reed!

And in the Chaos Division we get a three way ordered by the new champ himself: 

Killer Karson vs Robin DaLay vs Zeus Maximillion

• Like 2

CGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 

Marc Dubois vs Ian DeColt (C) not easy, especially with Marc going through Sean to get here.

Blockbuster clashes against Curtis Mobstar! 

The Golden Elite's Dan Draper and Canadian Blondes face Skip Beau and Generation Z! 

Dusty Ducont returns against the Lumberhunk Clause Reed!

And in the Chaos Division we get a three way ordered by the new champ himself: 

Killer Karson vs Robin DaLay vs Zeus Maximillion   Am I imagining Zeus and Whippy were a tag team once? Either way I can see them producing good stuff together. 

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 165, Tuesday, Week 4 of October 2018

SEGMENT 1:

This week of CGC TV opens with Adrian Garcia gloating. He explains that after the win of every member of The Golden Elite at Apocalypse, he was able to blackmail Alex DeColt into a deal: he either gets paid as both a manager and color commentator, getting back behind the announce table, or he pulls the tag team champions, Jamie Atherton and Dan Draper from the shows. And now we're here. Double paychecks, double the fun of everyone getting to see and listen to him. And he is allowed to manage the Elite in their matches, even if from the position of an announcer! Sure, whatever. They fixed a problem with...an explanation. All you could ask for from a wrestling company, I guess.

Segment Rating: 60 

MATCH 1: 

Blockbuster vs Curtis Mobstar. An intriguing match, this had the hallmarks of a bloody southern brawl except it happened at freezing temperatures and had no blood. A great Mobstar performance, nevertheless it goes to waste because I didn't get to see any blood and Blockbuster won regardless after a BusterBomb.

Segment Rating: 41 

SEGMENT 2: 

Whippy The Clown comes out to celebrate his title win and also introduce the #1 contender's three way. He says no one expected he would end Skip's domination, but it all comes down to the fact he thrives in chaos. Whereas the Raging Bull was a bumbling oaf, he took advantage and captured another title, becoming a Grand Slam champion. And as for his reign, he intends on testing the limits of this belt, do something exciting, and at the end of the day...thrive! He picked these opponents purely randomly, "that felt like the right thing to do under the circumstances", and is excited to see what they got. He's got a stipulation in mind for each of them. 

Segment Rating: 66

MATCH 2: 

Killer Karson vs Robin DaLay vs Zeus Maximillion. It's rare that Zeus is the smallest person in a match, and when it happens, the opponent is more lumbering than dynamic. The youngsters don't quite know how to work yet, but they know how to be exciting in small bursts and Zeus as the veteran guided them to a fine display. Most of the story was centered around the heavyweights being evenly matched and Maximillion being savvy, with Ditterich at one point putting him over as "as cunny as Ulysses". When Karson hits Robin with the Killer Boot and he signals he wants to go for another one, Zeus picks the perfect time to hit his Olympic Spear on the monster for the win, with DaLay being too dazed to break up the pin even with Faith's instructions. Whippy makes a big deal of teasing his match stipulation announcement but he decides to walk away.

Segment Rating: 47

MATCH 3: 

Clause Reed vs Dusty Ducont. An okay match all about showcasing Ducont's incredible power. It didn't last more than it needed to and the crowd was hot for it. They do have something real in the Ducont act, especially with the recognizability his USPW experience gives him, they just seem to be missing the correct amount of babyfaces in the company to feud with. Anyway, there could only be one winner here, and it was indeed Ducont after a devastating Thrown Powerbomb, but it has to be said Clause Reed looked fine in this match. 

Segment Rating: 50 

SEGMENT 3: 

We head backstage at the Champ's locker room where Ian DeColt is addressing tonight's main event! Marc Dubois got lucky at Apocalypse that Ian was overcome with the weight of expectations of honoring the memory of his absent father, and the emotional conflict and turmoil that created within his psyche. But tonight, tonight it's about the gold, and there is no conflict other than the war inside these ropes, which is where Ian DeColt, and any DeColt, excels more than anyone in this country. So, he gives a DeColt Guarantee that he's walking out as the champion tonight, with Dubois knocked out and laying there, a sorry excuse for a challenger. It might be Montreal, but it can never be homefield advantage for the "french" Canadian, because it's still CGC, and it's still DECOLT COUNTRY!

Segment Rating: 70

MATCH 4: 

Golden Elite vs Power House Army. A fun little match, this was all about rehabbing Skip Beau after his title loss, as he completely dominated this match (reasonably, the tag champs got to work quite a bit on top), and with the aid of Generation Z and Lizzie Spellmann's support... and a timely distraction by Thunder & Lightning who aren't done with the champs, he managed to pin Don Draper despite Adrian Garcia's protests and Jamie Atherton watching over (but not interfering). It was good, but it wasn't substancial. More the beginning of something. 

Segment Rating: 59 

MATCH 5: 

Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois for the CGC World Championship. An epic match, these two had the crowd at the palm of their hands and delivered on the promise of their PPV match for 20 minutes (still not going super long which is merciful to me). I don't know what to describe the archetype of this match in relation to what company's style it is- it was these two meshing their offenses in an expected way but not with the pacing of the CGC main event formula or what happened at Apocalypse. Felt like the dream match at an indy event or an East Coast Wars crossover match- without the blood of course. Dubois shone brightly as Ian seemed to be battling both the Comeback Kid and the fans themselves, and started getting overwhelmed by having to fight on two fronts. The Identity Theft got countered with a jawbreaker, the kick leading to the Marc of Excellence was blocked, and the Wild Ride got kicked out of. At that point, Ian went for the 10 punches in the corner spot, but at #6, having spent too long taunting the crowd, Dubois fought back and had him in a powerbomb position in the middle of the ring. Ian responded to that by reaching into his trunks, grabbing a brass knuckles and clocking Marc right on the skull, causing a DQ and surviving with his title. Great match, but due to the finish it's less than the sum of its parts. 

Segment Rating: 65 

SEGMENT 4: 

Ian wants to grab his title and leave, but Dubois, bleeding, stops him and lets him know this isn't over. Ironically, that's also what Gargantuan thought with these two being tied at 1 win apiece, as he jumped both competitors and destroyed them, standing tall to close out the show. 

Segment Rating: 63 

Show Rating: 63

NEXT WEEK: THE CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING HALLOWEEN SPECIAL! A MYSTERY CARD WITH ALL YOUR FAVORITE WRESTLERS AND SPOOKY SHENANIGANS!

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 3

The Garcia explanation felt plausible enough given you were limited in what you could do with it, and it brought you a 60 rating to start the show too, so it worked out rather well in the end. Better to keep it simple than overelaborate.

Great to see Whippy can still pull a great promo rating, showing he's got lots to offer in this area even in decline, and a good call to save the stipulation reveal for next week to capitalise on this further. It's cool that he's a Grand Slam champion too: have CGC had many?

I liked how you got Skip and Ian's heat back, the latter's promo blaming the pressure of honouring his father felt perfect for his character and riling up the fans, and it was nice to cushion any disappointment at a DQ finish to the main event by introducing a new Gargantuan element to the title picture.

63 is a nice number to rebuild momentum after Apocalypse didn't land as high as you hoped, and I know your Halloween booking will be a delight.

• Like 1

Thanks! I need to fact check the grand slam champion list, probably will be in the next entry, but I'd say it's less than you would think because I'm pretty sure the DeColt brothers just skipped the midcard belt. I'm 99% sure Joey also joined the list this year, a better booker would have mentioned that.

This home stretch to end the year has me a bit stressed in terms of delivering on some ideas, so it will be nice to have Halloween to decompress.

• Like 1

I had a look at the data (I decided it was rude to ask you a question I had the tools to answer myself) and I think there were five before you took the book: Ed Monton, Dan DaLay, John Maverick, Eddie Chandler and Nate Johnson. As you say, no DeColts won the lot so it's pretty fun that you've potentially set Intrepid Ian on a path to make family history. Good luck with the home stretch, I've got no doubt that you'll deliver.

Edit: Forgot to add you were right about Joey, so it's cool that you rewarded the two guys that got you off to a hot start as booker in this way.

Edited by 619
  • Like 1

CGC 2018 HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - TITLE BOUT WRESTLING 

SEGMENT 1: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST

We get a package video hyping up the PPV that is fairly random. It's set in different locations as essentially scenes in a horror movie. Marc Dubois is in the gym. Jamie Atherton is in his car with Heather. Ian DeColt is walking in an abandoned street. Skip Beau is at home watching TV. Suddenly, an unspeakable horror (portrayed only with shadows to save money) appears and begins chasing the four wrestlers for a few seconds and cuts as outdated rock music plays. At some point, all men are cornered, and they have to face the fact that they need to fight to survive, and look at certain death with determination: They'll survive because they're them, they're CGC Combatants. The name, SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST flashes on the screen, as the video comes to an end. 

MATCH 1: THE BEAT-UP BATTALION VS THE SUPERFRIENDS 

First off, let's get the important stuff out of the way. Costumes: Clause Reed as a Chef complete with the hat. Ant-Man has already done the superhero of the same name so he's going as Batman, and Topher Smith is fine with being Nightwing for the time being. The Battalion is more fun, with Karson having put a lot of effort to his Solomon Grundy costume, while TDM just went as a Rugby Player and Charlie Homicide is dressed like a satanist but that might just be his Sunday clothes. The match itself is something we have gotten plenty of times this year in a never ending feud, but this was probably the best version of it. There was a sense of fun with this match feeling like a tornado tag and a crowdpleasing moves-spammer. Topher Smith hit a top rope stunner on Homicide for the win, and the heroes prevailed! 

SEGMENT 2: The Party Backstage 

We head backstage where we see Jenny Playmate being a reporter in front of a dance party including a generous part of the roster and backstage staff. Everyone is having a good time! Generation Z (Alyx dressed as Fred from Scooby Doo, Flip as Shaggy), accompanied by Lizzie Spellmann (who completely no-sells their costume choices to dress as whatever was popular on Netflix in October 2018 equivalent of Wednesday last year) jump on the mic and essentially wish everyone a good time tonight and an excellent halloween. The show airs from 4 PM to 6 PM, so they remind everyone to be safe partying or trick-or-treating and just party like chill people. 

MATCH 2: Philippe LeGrenier vs Zeus Maximillion

Zeus (who does a deity cosplay every year but has kind of ran out of pantheons the normal fan would both recognize and not be offended by so he went as Buddha and it’s kind of a disaster because it’s not the most obvious costume ever) truly veteran’d Philippe (intersectional feminist ally, is a “sexy Policeman”), laying chops into him for 10 minutes and absolutely wrecking him, before locking in the Olympic Clutch and making him tap out. It was extremely straightforward, although one would have to question Drake Young’s stance on the police since he wasn’t by his friend’s side. 

SEGMENT 3: Whippy reveals the stipulation 

Whippy rips on the obvious Joker parallels every year by going for another Batman villain, this time he’s the Penguin, which is really hard to pull off without seeming like an anti-semetic caricature but tophat + crane does the job. Whippy also lends Owald’s ruthless opportunism, as he informs Zeus that he has used a very simple stipulation for their title match: Zeus isn’t allowed to use his hands to touch Whippy The Clown. He wishes him luck, and informs him he Got Tricked. 

MATCH 3: Trick or Street Fight, Gargantuan vs Hugh Ancrie 

Gargantuan is just Bane every year and everyone groans with displeasure at his schtick. Hugh Ancrie is Ken from Street Fighter and he instantly brings the fight to Gargantuan. The two brawl really hard and intensely, they also use jack-o-lanterns and anything that was used as stage setting as weapons alongside the usual kendo sticks and steel chairs. Hugh gets really close to winning after planting a pumpkin head on Gargantuan’s shoulders and going for a jackknife pin, but after that the enraged Killing Machine is furious enough to be unstoppable. The Ultimate Backbreaker ends things and it looks like that scene in the Dark Knight Rises, for the 6th year in a row. 

MATCH 4: Dan Draper & The Canadian Blondes vs Thunder & Lightning & Robin DaLay 

Dan (Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds) has his coming out party for the company here with an awesome performance. Flash and Ozzie went low effort because they think they’re too cool for Halloween, just wearing vacation clothes. Robin is Paul Phoenix from Tekken, Thunder & Lightning go with the ol’ reliable as Scorpion & Sub-Zero. This is another match we have seen at least parts of, it puts over T&L as threats to the titles even further and leads to an outside brawl between the teams leaving the young guns in the ring to finish the match off. They have a nice exchange but Robin gets overzealous, wanting to hit Paul’s special punch to win the match and being trapped into a Furusawa Armbar, forced to tap out. 

MAIN EVENT: MASKED MAN BATTLE ROYAL 

We get V from V for Vendetta, Scream, ZEN’s Halloween Knight, Ghost Rider, Red Ranger and Vega from Street Fighter. The six men have a great fun brawl, laying it all out before they even attempt eliminating each other. Around 10 minutes in, Ghost Rider is thrown over the top rope by Halloween Knight. 

There’s a spotlight on the eliminated man, who is revealed by referees to be Curtis Mobstar! 

There’s a lot of tag team offense from Vega and Halloween Knight on Scream, while V and Red Ranger have an awesome mini match in their own half of the ring. Red Ranger goes for the Skull Crusher but he’s countered via a mule kick. These matches are technically no DQ. Scream throws Halloween Knight out but gets lariated to death by Vega and eliminated. 

Halloween Knight is: Joey Poison! Scream is: Jamie Atherton! 

Vega and V have a fight over claiming the letter, and it leads to perhaps the best moment of the show as V takes an incredible uppercut for all his taunting that the crowd pops huge for. Vega hits a backdrop and then goes for a top rope maneuver, but he’s not used to taking high risks like his character of choice and his lariat gets countered into a Rock Bottom. V eliminates Vega. 

Vega is: Sterling Whitlock! 

Red Ranger has recovered from the kick to the groin and we get another mini match between the two that kind of betrays who each wrestler is as they’re evenly matched and also very familiar with each other. To get an advantage, V almost removes the Ranger’s mask and uses that opening to kick him in the gut and hit a devastating DDT that swings it in his favor. A Rock Bottom later, there’s a winner to the Masked Man Battle Royal!

Red Ranger is: Marc Dubois! 

SEGMENT 4: The Winner 

V removes his mask, revealing himself to be the World Champion, Ian DeColt. He basically repeats the point the show started on, thanking the crowd for being there, wishing them a good rest of Halloween and urging them to be safe, and sleep tight knowing him and his anti-hero ways will always defend DECOLT COUNTRY!

• Like 2

This was perfect. Intro I could really easily picture in my head. Many of the costumes were great but I can definitely picture Gargantuan being the type to keep picking the same one, to be fair to him though him doing the backbreaker in a Bane costume would least take at least a couple of years to stop being cool.

Whippy being everyone but Joker I loved and I'm all for the you 'Got Tricked' catchphrase. 

I did a costume battle royale in my RAW diary and I'm annoyed I didn't think of the idea of them all being anonymous until the reveal, was a fun way to end.

Whilst you could argue saving it fully for Halloween works I think in general the more comedic style fits CGC well year round especially as it was pulled off fully. 

• Like 1

What a unique show and main event concept, and I love the CV immersion of having a Halloween Knight homage.

The fact you could imagine a costume for everyone on the show speaks to how well you know your roster and, as christmas_ape said, it was great how you took the detail even further with Gargantuan always wearing the same, Canadian Blondes thinking they're too cool, Lizzie Spellman doing her own thing, etc. Likewise, I always like the timeslot and audience nods like Generation Z advocating safe trick-or-treating.

I think Ian DeColt winning the main event was a good call, giving him something to gloat about after falling short in the GDMC and a chance to continue his non-Halloween-exclusive cosplay as old-school DeColt with the post-match address.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, christmas_ape said:

This was perfect. Intro I could really easily picture in my head. Many of the costumes were great but I can definitely picture Gargantuan being the type to keep picking the same one, to be fair to him though him doing the backbreaker in a Bane costume would least take at least a couple of years to stop being cool.

Whippy being everyone but Joker I loved and I'm all for the you 'Got Tricked' catchphrase. 

I did a costume battle royale in my RAW diary and I'm annoyed I didn't think of the idea of them all being anonymous until the reveal, was a fun way to end.

Whilst you could argue saving it fully for Halloween works I think in general the more comedic style fits CGC well year round especially as it was pulled off fully. 

Thank you so much for the kind words. I have tried to incorporate more comedy (starting with none at all) as we've gone on and I'd like for the promotion to get more gimmicky in the future but the truth is my "vision of pro wrestling" might just be too bland. Regardless, onwards and upwards although I do think it's okay for this post-DeColt, like 5 bookers in version of CGC to be different than classic, there's still a balance to strive and achieve.

15 hours ago, 619 said:

What a unique show and main event concept, and I love the CV immersion of having a Halloween Knight homage.

The fact you could imagine a costume for everyone on the show speaks to how well you know your roster and, as christmas_ape said, it was great how you took the detail even further with Gargantuan always wearing the same, Canadian Blondes thinking they're too cool, Lizzie Spellman doing her own thing, etc. Likewise, I always like the timeslot and audience nods like Generation Z advocating safe trick-or-treating.

I think Ian DeColt winning the main event was a good call, giving him something to gloat about after falling short in the GDMC and a chance to continue his non-Halloween-exclusive cosplay as old-school DeColt with the post-match address.

Thank you, the limitations of my format and the fact I can't come up with promos makes adding in these details all I can do to give characterizations. Glad the show delivered, this is overwhelming response.

6 hours ago, knkmaster69 said:

A great show, as per usual! 

Thank you knkmaster69, as per usual!

MATCH CARD FOR NEXT WEEK: 

Champions Scramble: Ian DeColt & Whippy The Clown vs The Canadian Blondes 

Jamie Atherton vs Robin DaLay

Brett Fraser vs Dusty Ducont

Charlie Homicide and Tongan Death Machine vs Generation Z 

Chucky Dorrance vs Nathan Black

4 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

Thank you so much for the kind words. I have tried to incorporate more comedy (starting with none at all) as we've gone on and I'd like for the promotion to get more gimmicky in the future but the truth is my "vision of pro wrestling" might just be too bland. Regardless, onwards and upwards although I do think it's okay for this post-DeColt, like 5 bookers in version of CGC to be different than classic, there's still a balance to strive and achieve.

I definitely agree, there's no need to feel beholden to their past product and if your vision is more 'bland' traditional then I'd always say go with what you're most comfortable with/enjoy writing. Although hopefully pulling off episodes like that last one at least show you that you can pull it off if ever you do inject more gimmicky stuff. I think adding in the character stuff in the show descriptions can 100% work just as well if not better than promos. I think quite a few of my favourite diaries over the years (off top of my head Self's & Bigelow Cartwheel's stuff comes to mind) were similar in that regard. 

MATCH CARD FOR NEXT WEEK: 

Champions Scramble: Ian DeColt & Whippy The Clown vs The Canadian Blondes 

Jamie Atherton vs Robin DaLay

Brett Fraser vs Dusty Ducont

Charlie Homicide and Tongan Death Machine vs Generation Z 

Chucky Dorrance vs Nathan Black

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 167, Tuesday, Week 2 of November 2018

A news-heavy week for CGC, as we have a few notes to discuss. Firstly, the backstage struggle on the direction of the company, apparently culminating at Chamber of Horrors has been brewing continuously. The title match at Survival Of The Fittest becoming a three way is seen as a compromise, as Alex DeColt didn't want a third straight underperfoming Gargantuan singles match in the Dubois feud. This strife has been so intense that it has been a contributing factor for the resignation of longtime road agent and CGC Hall of Famer Chance. After 26 years in the company, he has been used less and surpassed in the pecking order by Dan DaLay as well as Garcia-hire and ally Stuart Ferdinand and therefore felt like he's made enough money off the business and would rather take some time off with his family. 

Another nugget is that the promotion made profit in October for the first time in over two years! This unlikely success is considered months ahead of schedule even in their predicted recovery and is attributed to both the positive change in booking ever since Alex DeColt stepped down, as well as the change in timeslot on Channel Six. This huge change in fortunes means another aggressive pursuit of signings in the coming months, because there's the feeling a few of the additions over the year have been flops, as well as the phase-out of the older generation has been continuing, with Nathan Black joining the backstage team as a road agent-in training and his retirement being "very close", and Brett Fraser also staring retirement in the face. The feeling is that there's a need for new, fresh jobbers that will have potential to scale up in the future like Lewis Frey, as well as the midcard needing some extra babyface additions. When my source (who is not Adrian Garcia on these news at the very least) was questioned on investing the profits on some bigger names the reply I received was "there's very specific people we would even think of making offers to and we're not abandoning this policy unless a huge opportunity presents itself". I think that's code for 'Sean McFly rejected us on a permanent offer', but you know what they say about assuming. Anyway, let's get to the show! 

MATCH 1: 

Jamie Atherton vs Robin DaLay opens the show. The longest match Robin DaLay has had yet, it was also the best as Jamie led it masterfully and got incredible heat with his control making the large man a believable underdog. Robin held his own end of the deal in terms of being selfless and allowing himself to be carried but the difference between the two is as obvious as is justifiable. Robin tried to hit his father's backfist to knock Jamie out as he felt the match slipping out of reach but Atherton dodged, hit a crucifix bomb and then as he saw the brainbuster is impossible due to the size difference he hit the Lightning Bolt for the win, despite the fact it has been transitioning towards being a signature as of late. Really fun match, a bit of a 'hidden gem' if you will. 

Segment Rating: 67 

SEGMENT 1: 

Jamie Atherton instantly gets a mic after the match. He restates his goal of becoming World Champion within his first year in the company, and says that he feels he's very close but with Chamber of Horrors approaching, he needs to make sure he can actually get that opportunity. Therefore, there's a mark that needs to be checked. He calls out Skip Beau, who has been facing and beating members of the Golden Elite the past few weeks, and who also beat him at Chaos In The Cage, challenging him to a title match at Survival Of The Fittest. Skip accepts, but considering Jamie has a lot more to earn, he wants his stablemates barred from ringside, to which Jamie agrees. 

Segment Rating: 66 

MATCH 2: 

Charlie Homicide & TDM vs Generation Z w/Lizzie Spellmann. Not good, but didn't last very long and there is some tangible improvement from everyone involved, they should just be in there with veterans every time. Very classic in structure to make things simpler, the heels dominated with short spurts from Alyx and Flip, until Lizzie cheerleaded well enough that they got a second wind, Flip got the hot tag and did some outrageous things that led to the win with a backslide pin on TDM. 

Segment Rating: 36 

SEGMENT 2: 

Backstage interview with Jenny Playmate and Marc Dubois, with Jenny asking for Marc's reaction to getting another shot at the title in the form of the three way match at Survival Of The Fittest. Marc says that having wrestled both men twice in singles so far, he feels the pressure he's up against, but he also knows he can beat them. There's a special energy at the top of the company, but he knows he hasn't completed the comeback until he's truly where he belongs. For the fans, the momentum of CGC, and the future. 

Segment Rating: 76 

MATCH 3: 

Chucky Dorrance vs Nathan Black. A fun little technical match between the two with Chucky showing some personality by constantly outsmarting the veteran with unorthodox movement and offense. The chuckmeister has gotten a new lease of life as a babyface considering most of his time as a heel has been a disaster so the bar is low, but this was genuinely SOMETHING real. Black stooged for him and took all those weird almost non-bumps pretty well, and Chucky hit his finisher, which, the fact that he has a finisher is news to me, with a "Tiger Suplex" that is rolled instead of hit with impact into some sort of reverse backslide called Chucky's Revenge. 

Segment Rating: 44 

MATCH 4: 

Brett Fraser vs Dusty Ducont. A big, meaty brawl that really showed Dusty the CGC experience of getting clubbed by Brett Fraser as a rite of passage. However, this match was very predictable and Brett isn't the athlete he once was so this got really plodding after it stopped being intriguing. Still solid. Dusty hit a huge Thrown Powerbomb that must have sucked to take, and got a nice win. 

Segment Rating: 47 

SEGMENT 3: 

Post-Match, Dusty begun beating Brett up, taking his frustrations for being fairly aimless recently out on him, but as he got him up for another Thrown Powerbomb, Joey Poison's music hit and he and his glorious head of hair made the save. Joey then took the microphone and insulted Dusty for clearly phoning things in and expecting good things to happen to him, then throwing a tantrum (not in a shoot way, in a "let's explain his absence last month" way). Ironically, he gave him a PPV match by offering to teach him a lesson at Survival Of The Fittest. It'll be nice to get Joey in a PPV singles match again, especially one where he won't be selling the leg all the time. 

Segment Rating: 56

SEGMENT 4: 

A goofy little video package, it has the format of a training montage. However, it focuses on Gargantuan getting ready for the World title match, so it's more about him suplexing trees and hitting backbreakers on bears and healing in a weird pod of non-clear liquid while also meditating, because apparently he has a lab at his house in the woods. 

Segment Rating: 55 

MATCH 5: 

The Canadian Blondes vs Ian DeColt and Whippy The Clown. A pretty nice match although everyone being a heel got the crowd confused as to who they should be cheering for. The tag team champions put on a clinic at points that was contrasting with their storyline which is about them getting more complacent, but that's what got the singles wrestlers back in towards the end of the match. with Ian managing to fight off both of them and tag Whippy in, who hasn't been a hot tag since like January, that's fun. Whippy hit the Joke's On You on Ozzie Golden, but before he could go for a pinfall attempt, lightning struck between him and Ozzie and smoke filled the ring. After everything cleared, Ozzie Golden had the veteran up on his shoulders and hit the Golden Shower for the win, with Zeus Maximillion appearing on the ramp with a grin on his face. 

Segment Rating: 60 

SEGMENT 5: 

Zeus enters the ring besides the still selling Whippy, and showcases a way he can hurt him without his hands when they have their Canadian Chaos title match. He apparently spent a lot of time in solitude in the mountains and reached deep within himself to find a new technique that he considers a modification of the Olympian Clutch (camel clutch). He then, to me hilariously since he talked it up so much, just proceeds to put Whippy in a Cobra Clutch, which the commentary puts over as Olympian Clutch II. The crowd goes wild at the hero getting another hope of victory in two weeks. 

Segment Rating: 55 

Overall Rating: 61 

NEXT WEEK, AT TWIN ELM PALK IN TORONTO: 

Gargantuan, Jamie Atherton and Ian DeColt vs Greg Black, Marc Dubois and Skip Beau 

Thunder & Lightning and Zeus Maximillion vs The Canadian Blondes and Whippy The Clown 

Chucky Dorrance vs Killer Karson 

Drake Young & Philippe LeGrenier vs Generation Z 

??? vs TDM 

• Like 3

Gargantuan, Jamie Atherton and Ian DeColt vs Greg Black, Marc Dubois and Skip Beau 

I enjoyed the image creating in the  Garg promo last show. Although I did also enjoy Marc's promo. Still I always find it hard not to go for Gargantuan, a little part of me always yearns for a good old fashioned strong big man at the top.

Thunder & Lightning and Zeus Maximillion vs The Canadian Blondes and Whippy The Clown 

Zeus and Whippy delivering so far. 

Chucky Dorrance vs Killer Karson 

Curse of Chucky will strike again with his deadly roll up.

Drake Young & Philippe LeGrenier vs Generation Z 

??? vs TDM 

Perhaps some of the aforementioned new signings... 

• 2 weeks later...

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 168, Tuesday, Week 3 of November 2018

[Transition] and of course now with Nicky Champion leaving for EILL, that leaves a power void in North American Sports Entertainment. Which brings us to CGC, obviously, and Sunday's show which got a record 0.04 rating with 35 thousand viewers! The unstoppable tide of the DeColts is rising. But how was the show quality wise, right before Survival Of The Fittest? 

SEGMENT 1: 

The intrigue of a debut opens the show, with a young man with outrageous hair and dark clothes coming out holding a microphone. He announces himself as the newest signing of CGC, EMOe Not.Man (ZEN:S's Moe Norman) and he cuts a promo about how the world is a dark uncaring place full of posers but he's here to bring some light by keeping it real and being tougher than all these jocks in the locker room. He's interrupted by TDM's music and yeah that's fine to present the character but maybe don't open the show with this because the crowd was barely cheering. Luckily the kid can talk.

Segment Rating: 52 

MATCH 1: 

So, EMOe Not.Man and TDM were very clunky together, probably because they're both fairly new to this thing. Not a pretty sight, it lasted for like 10 minutes as both went through their usual moveset and EMOe won with a cutter he calls "Last Bite". Not much to say for this one, I guess cutting the promo first was a good decision as a first impression when the match was bad. Rumors are Tongan Death Machine is on his way out of the company which, the guy needs work before getting on TV, but CGC is the smallest platform on TV you can get so we will see if a former Rugby star is willing to dig into the indies. 

Segment Rating: 26 

MATCH 2: 

Drake Young & Philippe LeGrenier vs Generation Z. A lot of miscommunication and annoyance between the heels, with Philippe's vain schtick going further and further to him flat out refusing to tag in and wrestle after his initial stint in the match, which led to the kids getting a ton of their dope movez in on Young who is a great ragdoll even for lightweights. Philippe actually gets a hot tag accidentally at the end, gets some suplexes and clotheslines but pauses to fix his hair, then tries to hit on Lizzie Spellmann who gets creeped out by the age gap and the distraction allows Alyx Winters to lock in the Nuclear Lock (Bulldog Choke) for the win!

Segment Rating: 39

SEGMENT 2: 

A video package plays hyping a mystery wrestler. Shots of serene nature with forests and waterfalls are shown with flute music in the background. A voiceover gives a short mantra that is repeated once "The way of the warrior is spiritual. It's a lifestyle. But at the end of a battle, the only important thing is who's left standing." Then the screen goes dark and letters showing SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST are the final lasting image. 

Segment Rating: 48

SEGMENT 3: 

Joey Poison repeats some of the talking points from last week's promo on Dusty Ducont, emphasizing how annoyed he is at his opponent's for Survival Of The Fittest entitlement. He says he's done everything there is to be done, and getting the Grand Slam in this company is the proudest moment of his professional life, which makes watching a failed USPW behemoth act like he's too good for the place sickening and personally hurtful. He reveals that their match will be contested under Big Bad Brawl rules (No DQ and the match can end in the usual ways + being thrown off the top rope) to show Dusty the CGC way. 

Segment Rating: 62 

MATCH 3: 

Chucky Dorrance vs Killer Karson. This was actually solid! Chucky is slowly but surely showing his good fundamentals as a babyface and he kept outsmarting Karson for the whole duration of this match. He went for Chucky's Revenge again but Karson powered out and hit a bunch of Killer Boots for the win, however Chucky actually got really close to winning a second straight match, something the commentary put over. I don't know if this is starting a roundabout push for either of these, but I'd like to see if they can do anything if they're led out of the shuffle.

Segment Rating: 44 

SEGMENT 4: 

We head backstage where Jenny Playmate is interviewing Zeus Maximillion ahead of tonight's match and Friday's title match. Zeus says that he has watched Whippy's success and reinvention with great interest. The jester rose up and then reverted when things didn't go his way, but that somehow has made him more dangerous than ever before. They've battled countless times, and somehow this is the most dangerous Whippy has ever been, due to his ability to bend the ruleset itself. Sadly, he says, he can't offer the same unpredictability. The difference is in his blood. He's not a wild child, golden ichor runs throug his veins. It's in his blood to fight the hardest battle and walk the roughest road, but it will inevitably lead him to the gold that he craves. He might not be able to use his hands which are his greatest weapons, but he warns Whippy to not get at arms length or else he'll get wrecked regardless.

Segment Rating: 57 

MATCH 4: 

Thunder & Lightning and Zeus Maximillion vs Whippy The Clown & The Canadian Blondes. A cool little story match where they don't go too hard ahead of the two PPV title matches with Whippy wrestling the bulk of this match and mostly getting destroyed by the babyfaces. The Blondes do not care about anything going on and halfheartedly save him because losing feels Not Great when they have to, but this match strategy keeps wielding diminishing returns, and even when Flash and Ozzie are wrestling instead of intervening, Thunder and Lightning are absolutely locked in and work together like a ninja and his shadow. In the end, Whippy is stranded in the ring which leads to Zeus locking in the Olympic Clutch II for a huge (if wrestling was real) win. 

Segment Rating: 58

MATCH 5: 

Gargantuan, Ian DeColt and Jamie Atherton vs Greg Black, Marc Dubois and Skip Beau. Apparently this was the last match in Black's contract as the tournament participants signed multi-match deals just for the "unpredictability" of the tournament and to get some more use out of them. This lead to Black inadvertently being part of the company's best TV match of the year and probably second best overall after McFly vs Frankie Dee. A really strong performance by all 6 men who all shone in different moments, but the star of the match was Jamie Atherton who is in the form of his life right now. He debuted a new move in his arsenal that is something like a rope walk sunset flip which was insane when hit on Dubois, he keeps getting heat the best out of anyone on the roster and truly this match actually ruled. Heather got involved letting Jamie get the hot tag out to Jamie Atherton, Jamie hit a cheapshot and a surprise Identity Theft to Greg Black and the heels stand tall heading into the PPV.

Segment Rating: 71 

SEGMENT 5: 

Dubois confronts Ian after the bell warning him to not even think of cheating on Friday or he's not walking out on his own power. Ian tries to posture but he's backing off at the same time, which leads him hitting the brick wall that is Gargantuan, who is mesmerized looking at the gold World title belt. Ian and Dubois team up to repel Gargantuan (but mostly survive him so that he looks protected) and then they have a staredown.

Segment Rating: 69 

Overall Rating: 67 (highest yet)

• Like 2

CGC SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST PREVIEW 

Coming to you from the Waterloo University Arena right outside Toronto, Survival Of The Fittest promises to be a high level wrestling show from a company that is finally building some buzz again, with the 5000 people capacity building projected to be selling out. Here are the 5 announced matches: 

CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TRIPLE THREAT MATCH: GARGANTUAN VS MARC DUBOIS VS IAN DECOLT (C) 

Marc Dubois probably feels cheated as he got very close to winning the CGC World Championship back in October in his hometown of Montreal when Gargantuan spoiled his party. This is what lead to this triple threat, with Ian DeColt backed against the wall staring at two of the most dominant Combatants in CGC currently. Gargantuan is unstoppable and is the only man to have pinned Marc Dubois, but he can perhaps be contained if Champion and Challenger work like they did on the Go-Home show. But where does that leave the battle between them? We have already seen them face off twice and while they seem very evenly matched, Dubois has the mental edge at knowing he can beat the champion. Ian needs to show he's a true DeColt once again to survive with his precious title belt. 

CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: THUNDER & LIGHTNING VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) 

A rematch from Apocalypse, Thunder & Lightning have proven to be relentless in their pursuit of the tag team titles with their high octane offense and their stubborness. The Canadian Blondes kept their titles the first time, but they seem to have just regressed since. It's fairly simple but the result of this match depends on whether Flash and Ozzie are back at the top of their game or they have a Golden Elite ace up their sleeve, because T&L are a known commodity by now, and they have everything needed to pull this off. 

JAMIE ATHERTON VS SKIP BEAU 

Jamie Atherton has done a lot in his first year as a CGC Combatant. He has main evented both nights of the DeColt Wrestlefestival. He has beaten the matchmaker Alex DeColt. He has formed a scary and formidable alliance alongside Adrian Garcia. He has won the Last Man Standing Rumble. One thing he hasn't done however is hold championship gold. And as much as he states that he only wants the main belt, it's clear that losing to Skip Beau for the Canadian title at Chaos In The Cage bugs him. Will that chip on his shoulder be enough to overcome the Raging Bull? Skip is having a career year in his own right and has been clashing with the Golden Elite for the past few weeks. There will be no one-sided motivation here with Chamber of Horrors approaching in December. 

CGC CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP "ZEUS CAN'T USE HIS HANDS" MATCH: ZEUS MAXIMILLION VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C)

Well this is fairly straightforward isn't it? Whippy is gaming the system to hold on to the Canadian Chaos belt after winning it in a Turkish Oil match against Skip Beau. The Clown Prince of Grappling is not willing to taste defeat ever again after losing the World title to Joey Poison and he knows that Zeus Maximillion is a legendary competitor in his own right. Zeus has been on an impressive win streak and has debuted a devastating new submission that bypasses the obvious issue of the stipulation, but getting there will be a huge challenge considering Whippy's sadistic streak and incredible strategic thinking. 

BIG BAD BRAWL MATCH: DUSTY DUCONT VS JOEY POISON

USPW Royalty Dusty Ducont came to CGC in order to finally be a top champion in his home country, but his attitude and entitlement has rubbed people off, especially locker room leader and former World Champion Joey Poison. With Chamber of Horrors and another free opportunity for Ducont looming in the distance, Joey decided to take matters in his own hands. Big Bad Brawl rules offer the opportunity both for violence and embarassment, and it will be interesting to see who chooses which one as they both look to make their point clear to one another: One his innate superiority and the other the fact that hard work triumphs over all. 

OOC: There's a chance I post the PPV during the weekend, and mid-April is my spring break so we might actually not be TOO far from finishing 2018, which is freaking crazy I never thought I'd make it this far. Thanks to everyone for reading all this stuff, seriously. Not all of this diary has been great, but it's all been worked hard on.

1 hour ago, christmas_ape said:

A lot going on, new debut and a tease of another one, both interesting. The Zeus promo probably my highlight. I used to love CGC roster and it's nice to see callbacks to it despite this obviously looking very different to CGC in it's prime. Consider me hyped for SoF!

Thank you! In truth, booking a constant state of flux is easier in terms of me filling time in the 120 minute show, but I think the roster depth is getting to the point where it's going to be easier like booking RAW or TCW (obviously not THAT much, and those still have their own challenges, I'm speaking completely in the filling-time aspect). I've thought of getting the show back to 90 minutes, but since I need to kayfabe it in my mind it's not happening unless I get a B-show.

Likewise I love CGC's history, and I agree it enhances the diary. I don't want this to feel like it could be any company in the world, even though it's a trap I can fall into with my "updating" the style. It would defeat the point. 

• Like 1

Love this dynasty and can't wait for the PPV, really feels like the company is firing on all cylinders and I love the direction you've taken some of my favorite c-verse characters!

Predictions:

Ian DeColt

Canadian Blondes

Jamie Atherton

Whippy the Clown

Joey Poison

Can't wait for the show!

• Like 1