CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

QUEBEC TOUR ENDS WITH A LOOP BACK TO MONTREAL! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING "GOLD RUSH" EDITION! DON'T MISS OUT!

The most special Title Bout Wrestling Card of the year so far awaits, with 2 title matches and a general sense of excitement as Chaos In The Cage inches ever closer! 

Curtis Mobstar has been unleashing absolute chaos the past few weeks, and while we are sure he would have loved to test himself in an unforgiving Steel Cage match, he's still in his element as his Canadian Title shot against the Raging Bull Skip Beau is in No Disqualification rules. Anything goes! 

Intrepid Ian Identity continues his climb up the ladder, as he has seen the reaction to his easy matches and has issued an open challenge to the CGC locker room! 

Two veterans collide as Nathan Black faces off against Zeus Maximillion! 

Even title matches usually don't have this match star power, with the Canadian Blondes facing off the innate dynamism of Alexander Robinson and Sterling Whitlock, in a match that is sure to steal the show! 

And for our main event, The Montreal Mafia might be quiet on Sundays, but their PPV record speaks for itself. Marc Raisin has picked up the most PPV wins of anyone in the company in 2018, and he's rewarded with a World Championship match, against the dominant Whippy The Clown. Not only is it two contenders at the top of their game (with Joey Poison's shot looming!), it's also two honorable combatants which we rarely see in the post-DeColt era!

Purchase a ticket, tell everyone you know this is happening, and google how you can watch Channel Six from YOUR cable provider!

• Like 2

Vibert's Voice - Ep. 152, Tuesday, Week 1, May 2018

CGC! Title Bout Wrestling! Gold...Rush! Let's see what the big deal was with this week of the show!

SEGMENT 1: 

Skip Beau opens the show, and he says (among other things) that he won the Canadian belt almost a month ago, and yet this is the first time he is out here to address the fans in DeColt country. He understands that it's a period of excitement, but he is not going to be overshadowed by anyone, and he is relishing the opportunity to have a No Disqualification match with someone who was practically born hard to the core. This went over really well, both with the fans and with me, honestly. It's good to add a chip on the shoulder of a babyface champion, even if we've seen the "I will still do good matches" trope many times over the years, but this was vague enough that it could also be something different. 

Segment Rating: 54

MATCH 1: 

Curtis Mobstar vs Skip Beau (C) for the Canadian Championship. Barely, but this is the best match for this title they've had this year. And that says a lot because on TV they go extra PG on the violence, so it was mostly kendo sticks and tables being used, but this was just fun. It had its moments where you can see how with a few years of experience or if with one of the workers being better it could have gone over even better, but it was a fine match, main event level really in terms of what they put out on TV. Curtis went up to the top rope with a steel chair, aiming to weaponize it on Skip, but Skip managed to get him up on his shoulders from the jump, and hit the Flow Down through a conveniently placed table for the win! 

Segment Rating: 53 

SEGMENT 2: 

Intrepid Ian Identity says that it's a slap to his face that he wasn't chosen for tonight's main event, so he will up the ante: His local opponent has now a *five* minute time limit to survive!

Segment Rating: 45

MATCH 2: 

An 18 year old kid called Murray Firth came out to face Ian, and he had to go four minutes with him instead of the usual local worker squash. Not only was he not really ready for TV, this is the one that really made Ian look weak- but like, in terms of character work it's achieving its aim. Realistically, a heel can be the most incompetent wrestler and they're one win away from being hot, and at least he's winning all the time rather than being upset by lower carders.

Segment Rating: 26 

MATCH 3:

Nathan Black vs Zeus Maximillion. This is actually a singles match we never got even if they both have been years in the company. Turns out, we were better off not getting it because they did not click! At least Zeus got the win, as he's the one in better shape physically and with probably more left in the tank. 

Segment Rating: 31 

SEGMENT 3: 

Jamie echoes the complaint of Ian to the matchmaker extraordinaire, saying that he clearly still has unfinished business with Whippy and the world title, if he's going to hand out a shot it should have been him. Alex DeColt, tired of having to deal with Jamie's attitude, says he's now in a #1 contender's match for the Canadian championship, next week. A ladder match between himself, Brett Fraser, Hugh Ancrie, and the winner of the last match Zeus Maximillion. Jamie at this point tries really hard (and fails) to keep himself from arguing that he sees that title as beneath him, especially having to fight for a shot for it, but at least this feels more concrete than teaming up with a psychopath, so he thanks the boss through gritted teeth. And yeah, these two just speak the most naturally out of most wrestlers in the world so the pairing will always get a high rating from me.

Segment Rating: 76

MATCH 4: 

Canadian Blondes vs Alexander Robinson and Sterling Whitlock. This was like a top 5 match in the company this year I am pretty sure. Absolutely killed it out there, stellar action for 21 minutes. The Canadian Blondes kept their isolation game on point, Robinson and Sterling would milk every tag practically edging the viewers, and there were a couple very inventive double team spots, especially one where Whitlock caught the Tornado DDT from Flash only for Golden to hurricanrana his partner into executing the rest of the move. Great stuff. The finish was a bit of a surprise, as Drake Young came out to help the Blondes pick up the win, with Flash hitting the Crucifix on Alexander Robinson after he was hit by a mic shot that the referee didn't see. 

Segment Rating: 57

SEGMENT 4: 

Backstage Interview, Jenny Playmate is there with the main event contestants, trying to get an interview from them, but Whippy is going on and on about how he should not have to defend his title while his opponent for Chaos In The Cage is just resting and studying the tapes, while Raisin just absolutely refuses to get a word in. As Whippy's tirade finishes by saying that he's at least going to pad his defense record, Jenny asks Marc what he thinks about his chances tonight, and Raisin responds! "The Montreal Mafia speaks with actions, not words, capiche?". We will totally ignore that he is not Italian. 

Segment Rating: 51

MATCH 5: 

Marc Raisin vs Whippy The Clown (C) for the World Championship. Ok so, this match was good, probably as good as the opener. But. Joey Poison was on commentary. Which is normally great, it advances their program, all that stuff. He absolutely had terrible timing with Adrian Garcia, they would speak over each other's sentences, they would have palpable awkwardness, it really ruined my experience. In the match itself though, Dermott Ayers was ringside to make sure this was going to be clean, and it was! Marc was doing great high flying action and Whippy tried to keep him grounded for 20 minutes. And then, it clicked. He let Marc hit his usual combo of two flying forearms and a swinging neckbreaker so that he gets on the top rope. And as Marc went for the Top Rope Lariat he hits before the Raisin D'Etre, Whippy got him with a vicious Single Leg Codebreaker, the Clowning Around. Both champs retain!

Segment Rating: 47, sadly.

SEGMENT 5: 

As Whippy gets his title belt and gives it a hug, Joey Poison gets his crutches and walks into the ring. He says congratulations to Whippy, but then he can't help but stare at the World title, and tells him to cherish the next few weeks. Whippy responds by reaching into his trunks' pockets (it's amazing what technology can achieve these days), and pulls out an endless motif of colored handkerchieves, which he gives Joey and motions to put them around his waist. Joey laughs, and waves at him with his crutch as the champion exits the ring.

Segment Rating: 58 

Overall Rating: 53, feel like I have to weight against the main event, especially as the segment after it was strong but I still was kind of annoyed from the sloppiness that ruined the match beforehand. Good show though. Again a case of you put them in a wrestling hotbed and with high budget production value and it's not TOO far from what we get from bigger companies. There's obviously many differences and exceptions but they're getting closer to what they want I think.

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the opener. What would hardcore wrestling be without conveniently placed tables, haha. It seemed like you caught some bad breaks in the second and third matches.

Really pleased to see Jamie back, and it felt consistent of his character to complain about fighting for a second-tier title shot after recently challenging for the top prize, so I thought it was good to acknowledge this.

Great rating for the tag team match and I loved the Whippy promo (you can tell you’re enjoying writing for him). It’s interesting how his character is evolving as the title run lengthens, and the sign-off line was a blast.

It looks like the main event suffered the same curse as those two mid-show matches, but you recovered it with a strong ending. I liked the change of pace in having him de-escalate the tension here, as it wasn’t what I expected.

• Like 1

CGC Title Bout Wrestling, Back In Surrey! Ladder Match Chaos and an update from Joey Poison!

The biggest news coming from this Sunday's Title Bout Wrestling will be Joey's update on his health status heading into the CGC World Championship match in less than two weeks! But this is not all we have in store. 

Three matches between some of the youngest and brightest of CGC have been arranged: Alyx Winters vs Killer Karson, Clause Reed vs Dapper Danny Draper, Ant-Man vs Charlie Homicide! 

After Drake Young helped The Canadian Blondes secure #1 contender status, a huge 8-man tag has been booked: Alexander Robinson, Sterling Whitlock and The Montreal Mafia vs Drake Young, Philippe LeGrenier and The Canadian Blondes!

Brett Fraser vs Hugh Ancrie vs Jamie Atherton vs Zeus Maximillon! These four men collide in a ladder match with the winner going on to face Skip Beau at Chaos In The Cage!

Get your tickets today, because we love you and cherish you!

• Like 1

Vibert's Voice - Ep. 153, Tuesday, Week 2 of 2018

This is Sports Entertainment week on the pod again, as I just spent 30 minutes talking about USPW's last show being good due to KC Glenn having an awesome match, and now we're moving on to CGC, which keeps the strong month of shows going with yet another good one. Chaos In The Cage better be good, because I am sure some people will buy it. But let's get into it. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Joey Poison opens the show with an update on his health status. He says he's had a partially torn meniscus injury, and it would have very much healed by now if he was a bit younger. However, he has confirmed with several doctors that it can't get any worse and it's all about wrestling through the pain, so he will be fine for Chaos In The Cage, and also for next week to get back in rhythm for the biggest match of his career. And with that, he makes a bit of a show of getting seperated from his crutches, to the crowd's applause. Whippy The Clown's music hits, and he's staying on the ramp, saying he's glad Joey know how to have fun with what he views as bad news, as he would have no chance beating him even at 100%. In fact, after joking around last week after Whippy's great title defense, he knows just the way to cheer Joey up. "Knock knock" "Who's There?" "Clown" "Clown who?" "There's a clown behind you with a baseball bat, Joey!" And WHAM! Grimm Quibble, AKA Quibble the Clown*, is back in CGC, attacking Joey viciously, while Whippy laughs at his own joke for way too long. Heel turn! And a good segment accompanying it. 

Segment Rating: 60

MATCH 1: 

Clause Reed vs Dapper Danny Draper. Ok so, the undercard for this show is a bit of nothing matches, but I get it. They saw the landscape of the company being too stacked with heels and realized they need to start building up some of the young babyfaces they have. Enter "the Lumberhunk" Clause Reed beating Danny Draper, who even with his depush at the start of the year is a more recognizable figure for the fans. So Clause Reed picked up the win with a big lariat and will probably do something not unimportant in the next few weeks. 

Segment Rating: 31

MATCH 2: 

Alyx Winters vs Killer Karson. The Beat Up Battalion is accompanying him, and there's a bit of a story told in this match, which is essentially Karson stretching out the squash match this could have been to beat the younger competitor up in order to make his sadistic buddies cheer and encourage him to do more, even calling some moves. He didn't even beat him with his finisher, just pinning him after a Stalling Suplex. 

Segment Rating: 28

SEGMENT 2: 

Ant-Man comes out, and says that their bullying and villainry needs to be stopped, and as he has a match with Charlie Homicide next, he's the one to put an end to them. The crowd still hasn't realized he can talk, it'd be funny if it wasn't sad. Anyway, the fun part of the segment is the other two members of the battalion leaving Charlie alone for his match.

Segment Rating: 39

MATCH 3: 

Ant-Man vs Charlie Homicide. This was solid action, with Charlie having the tact to play the classic heel rather than a big monster, and this being a showcase of Ant-Man being able to vanquish the heels. I don't have many notes on here other than this being a big step above the first two matches, and Ant-Man winning with a Doctor Bomb, which is fucking sick. 

Segment Rating: 44 

SEGMENT 3: 

Tongan Death Machine enters the ring to attack Ant-Man after the match, Charlie joins in, but Topher Smith makes the save, because the booking team remembered he exists, I assume. 

Segment Rating: 35 

SEGMENT 4: 

Before the 8 man tag match, the alliance of Drake Young, The Canadian Blondes and Philippe LeGrenier come out, with Drake saying this is the most ravishing, fabulous group in CGC history, and this is why he helped the Canadian Blondes get the W last week, because he believes that wrestling should be a meritocracy of the magnificent. 

MATCH 4: 

A bit all over the place, but the 8 man tag mostly worked as a match, with everyone getting a bit of shine, and Sterling Whitlock pinning Drake Young since, we've talked about this, he's a manager playing a wrestler in my mind. Have to think Montreal Mafia vs The Canadian Blondes will be a really good match honestly, they are wrestling at a high level right now.

Segment Rating: 49

MATCH 5: 

The #1 Contender Ladder Match. Considering it had only one high flyer and he was a heel, this was incredibly fun. Everyone hit Brett Fraser with ladders on his head, Jamie hit a Thunderbolt off a ladder to the outside, Hugh Ancrie did some insanely athletic things and took a horrifying bump after Fraser slammed him from the apron to a ladder on the outside, and Zeus Maximillion summoned a thunderstrike to stop Brett from getting the win at one point. Just a great time was had all around. Jamie Atherton got the win and a much anticipated title shot, after springboarding to the ladder over a brawling Ancrie and Fraser to retrieve the item at lightning-speed.

SEGMENT 5: 

Skip Beau immediately comes out after the match to congratulate his #1 contender, and tell him to be ready for a brutal cage match. Jamie looks him right in the eye and tells him the only joy he'll get at Chaos In The Cage is knowing he deprived Skip Beau of the feeling he's worth something for holding this second-rate championship, and making him look deep into himself only to realize he was just never anything special. He drops the mic and goes to exit the ring, but that means he's turned his back on the champion, who grabs him and hits a Spiking Backdrop on Jamie, before posing with his belt for the cheering fans. 

Segment Rating: 63 

Not only was this show a huge win in terms of the best things on the show being on par with the best segments they've done this year (Alex DeColt promos don't count), the fact that they main evented with a storyline for the midcard title and they got something really good out of it is a testament of quality (and also follows up the Skip vs Curtis match that was good).  This is just good work being rewarded, and if I have to sit through Clause Reed matches to get some compelling wrestling, I might just do it. 

Overall Rating: 56

*Quibble is only here on a 10 appearance deal. In fact, since I've made many moves I want to address something. I have a shortlist that I follow with extreme devotion, to the point another great NOTBPW prospect was released and I didn't give him a second look. I am saying this because the roster isn't so much "bloated" in any respect yet, but it would soon if I kept up in the same pace. Other than any one-off or two-off appearances, there's 7 people I have on my list that I might be interested in bringing this year, and 6 of them are on exclusive written deals with companies right now so I might not get a chance at bringing them in at all. So, if you're invested in this cast of characters or just can't follow with random people showing up, know not many might, but also if you want big debuts for big moments, there might be some in store! 

• Like 1

Wow, even though I’d suspected the heel turn was coming, I thought if it happened it would be in the title match, and I definitely didn’t expect it at the start here after the de-escalation at the end of the last show, which gave it maximum impact and shock value. You’ve told this story so well, and now you have another element to play with in Quibble.

The fact you could do that as the opening segment safe in the knowledge you didn’t need those two for a successful main event speaks to the growing roster depth. I was pleased Jamie won and like him still treating the title as beneath him and not his primary motivation. It feels consistent with how you’ve presented him so far.

And I’m always amused when you take shots at your own booking, like the “booking team remembers he exists” line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 619 said:

Wow, even though I’d suspected the heel turn was coming, I thought if it happened it would be in the title match, and I definitely didn’t expect it at the start here after the de-escalation at the end of the last show, which gave it maximum impact and shock value. You’ve told this story so well, and now you have another element to play with in Quibble.

The fact you could do that as the opening segment safe in the knowledge you didn’t need those two for a successful main event speaks to the growing roster depth. I was pleased Jamie won and like him still treating the title as beneath him and not his primary motivation. It feels consistent with how you’ve presented him so far.

And I’m always amused when you take shots at your own booking, like the “booking team remembers he exists” line.

I didn't mean last week to be a complete fake out, and was always planning on this being the turning point, but then I re-read what I wrote and it did come across as two faces having fun. I feel like other than this (which still aided the moment a bit as it helped me write this show's promo) Whippy's turn has been very logically-progressed week to week so I'm taking the mental W on this one, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

Honestly, I wouldn't have turned Whippy until I saw them get a lower rating than they could have due to both being faces. Now that I turned Whippy, Joey hit physical decline and they might not have a match in the 60's anyway lol. 

Jamie just keeps becoming more and more over just from talking, at this rate he might just hold the world title before the year is through like he promised! 

The issue with Toph, who I think is great, is that Ant-Man can actually talk, and also he just has the simplest hook in the world, since he's a lightweight worker with 91 power. Topher will probably develop into a very good cruiserweight, but there's a clear star in the duo. Maybe though me building Ant-Man helps their team in the long run, who knows?

• Like 1

Ah, that’s rotten timing with the physical decline, but I reckon you can still hit the 60s. Someone who’d been in decline for a while for me massively exceeded my expectations recently in a singles main event, so hopefully you have the same experience.

I agree the Whippy turn was really well built. And it’s such a great heel bit to get the fairytale ending for yourself and then pull the ladder up to stop others from receiving the same opportunity, in wrestling and in life. It makes it even easier to get behind Poison.

• Like 1

GO HOME SHOW FOR CHAOS IN THE CAGE! CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING FROM DECOLT COUNTRY, VANCOUVER!

Thunder & Lightning vs Zeus and Stevie 

Clause Reed vs Nathan Black 

Curtis Mobstar and Skip Beau vs Intrepid Ian Identity and Jamie Atherton 

Ant-Man vs Tongan Death Machine 

Dan DaLay, Quibble The Clown and Whippy The Clown vs Joey Poison, Marc Dubois and Sterling Whitlock

14 hours ago, knkmaster69 said:

Really been enjoying this! Love CGC and love where everything is going! Whippy the Clown heel turn makes my heart happy :D

Thank you so much, it's great to know people are reading!

Vibert's Voice - Ep. 154, Tuesday, Week 3 of 2018

The go home show for Chaos In The Cage! You know they're on a roll when I actually watched this live instead of yesterday to fast forward over the bad parts. Honestly, I might watch the PPV itself live, maybe have someone from the site stream it, would be fun. Anyway let's get to the show!

SEGMENT 1: 

Skip Beau opens the show, saying he is facing the biggest challenge of his career in 5 days. Jamie Atherton is ruthless, driven and dangerous, but he's not heartless. Skip knows that like everyone he has weaknesses, insecurities, and even a conscience. And that's the way to beat him. Find the hesitation, find the opening, find the weakness. As always, he'll charge right in, and come out victorious. Jamie has to respond to this, and he essentially keeps up the making a mockery of Skip and his title schtick, saying that he can't be beaten with the power of friendship or Skip seeing "good in his heart". He's already trying to get the paperwork done to vacate the title in the first Title Bout Wrestling after he wins it, or use it as a bargaining chip with management to get what he wants and deserves. Skip looks him, deadpan expression in his eyes, and tells him he should cut that attitude because he's not good enough for the main event until he does, and Jamie slaps him before backing off furious. Perhaps Skip found the right button to push. 

MATCH 1: 

Thunder and Lightning vs Zeus and Stevie. Thunder and Lightning should have a good CGC career generally speaking, but it's clear they've been pushed down due to the abundance of heels on the roster. Regardless, they're talented enough to have a good match even when they're not over, as they get a fine performance from the also de-pushed Zeus and Stevie. I get this in general as a move, now that the booking team has got their guys positioned at the top, it's time to give crumbs to the rest of the roster as well. Zeus submits Lightning Lomas with the Olympian Clutch, and this was very much not a waste of time.

SEGMENT 2: 

Hugh Ancrie goes to the roster locker room (he has a solo one because he's a star or whatever), and finds Brett Fraser, who's positioning his hunting gear carefully in his bags. Hugh tells him that he has been in the ring with him twice, and he can sense that toughness Brett has, and therefore wants to tap him out in the middle of the ring at Chaos In The Cage, in a cage match. Brett Looks at him and tells him it's on, because he's a man of few words. 

Segment Rating: 49 

SEGMENT 3: 

Ant-Man and Topher Smith are doing speed-date type interviews for the person who will help them vanquish the Beat Up Battalion. They reject Alistair Shufflebottom because he's too boring, Alan Parent because the "parental abuse" nickname doesn't align with their values, Brady Prince because, and then Clause Reed comes in, and tells them his weakness is he's too honest, he's great with children, and that he'll show them what he can do right after this interview. They're impressed and pencil him in.

Segment Rating: 37

MATCH 2: 

Clause Reed vs Nathan Black. Clause Reed is actually improving! Maybe I misspoke, who knows? This match is nothing special of course, but it's better than any match Karson has had so far for instance. Interesting to see how all these interesting big guys (and also Blockbuster) develop in the next couple of years. Nathan Black seems to accept his new role of jobber, and he got wrecked by the young man's offense, before submitting to the Log Saw torturerack as Reed smiled for the cameras.

Segment Rating: 39

SEGMENT 4: 

Joey Poison is backstage in the medical room getting taped up by the medical staff, as Faith enters the room, and they patch up. Faith tells him that while he acted stupidly and selfishly when he asked to go at it alone, and she doesn't think she wants to be his manager, she's still his friend, and he's hurt and betrayed going into the biggest match of his career. Joey again apologizes to her and tells her she doesn't have to feel like she owes him anything, but Faith says that for one last time, she wants to be in Joey's corner at Chaos In The Cage. Maybe her role as helping with interference will be limited, but she wants to have front row seats to watch her best male friend in this business kick that clown asshole's ass. A nice moment as they hug, and then Faith says she needs to put up her ad for a new wrestler to manage after the event. 

MATCH 3: 

Curtis Mobstar and Skip Beau vs Jamie Atherton and Intrepid Ian Identity. These wrestlers are all good and I've warmed up to all of them over the past five months, and I like watching them in a match together! It's a bit of a formula-ic tag match sadly, which I think they can get better at as they've settled into a routine (or maybe I've just watched every show and am overanalyzing because it was definitely crisp and really good), but once again there's a small swerve. Things kind of click for Intrepid Ian Identity when he's in the ring with Curtis and he realizes he's been a great wrestler, and he hits him with the Identity Theft from out of nowhere to pick up the win!

Segment Rating: 56

MATCH 4: 

Ant-Man vs Tongan Death Machine. Shorter than I expected, this match is all about Ant-Man once again, but TDM shows why he was a professional athlete cooperating in some insane spots with him, like some running collisions and a big apron bump he took from a power slam.  The Doctor Bomb worked again, and I am all on board with this Ant-Man push.

Segment Rating: 40

SEGMENT 5: 

The other two members of the battalion come out to attack Ant-Man, but this time Topher AND Reed are out to help him, and with even odds the heels back off. Killer Karson gets a mic and says that Ant-Man may have beaten his other two idiots, but he has not been pinned or submitted in CGC, and he's willing to beat up Ant-Man at Chaos In The Cage, while his two buddies get beat up by Karson's two idiots. The meatheads aren't even insulted, and the babyfaces are fired up as they accept.

MATCH 5: 

Dan DaLay and The Clowns vs Joey Poison, Marc DuBois and Sterling Whitlock 

A solid main event where it was cool to watch these interact and let me tell you: Grimm Quibble is really good. I'd love to see what he can do with some of these wrestlers one on one, even if this gimmick has limited self life. Sterling also got some time to shine, chopping the World Champion to death and hitting a very impressive backdrop on Dan DaLay. Dubois' time in the ring was limited to not waste his novelty, and Joey had some good segments with all three guys. Finally Dubois got the hot tag where he destroyed Quibble, but some cheating from the clowns made both people tag out, and Dan DaLay hit the DaLay Down on Sterling for the win after another small segment.

Segment Rating: 55

MATCH 6: 

Whippy and Joey Poison have a final staredown before the match, while Dan and Marc are brawling on the outside. A bit of an unfocused ending but I think the big match feel is there and Garcia clearly wanted to remind people that DaLay vs Dubois is also a big match after it was a bit thrust in the background the last couple of weeks. 

Overall Rating: 55

• Like 1

I’m glad that opening segment got the high rating the writing deserved. Such a fun and fitting line about Atherton already sorting paperwork to vacate the title before he’s won it, and a nice hook for the cage to have Beau talk about finding a weakness.

I get an ominous feeling about Faith being at ringside and who her next client could be. Excited to see how that plays out.

I thought it was an interesting and probably wise call to have the main event finish involve DaLay and Whitlock, firstly to not have a clear winner between Poison and The Clowns before the show, and also to use the title feud and Dubois’ star power to get some shine on the others. Looking forward to the Chaos.

• Like 1

CHAOS IN THE CAGE PREVIEW: TICKETS ON SALE, LET'S MAKE THIS OUR BIGGEST SHOW YET IN 2018!

Chaos In The Cage is coming and CGC is red-hot, receiving adoration from DeColt Country Citizens and critics alike! Our home in Vancouver is hosting yet another PPV, and let's make it another success that is truly the story of this landmark year in company history! A plethora of big matches are going to be presented, so don't miss out!

MAIN EVENT: CGC World Heavyweight Championship Cage Match: Joey Poison vs Whippy The Clown (C)

After over two months of Whippy fighting tooth and nail to keep his title against Joey Poison, the Clown Prince of Grappling finally snapped two weeks ago, getting Quibble The Crown back in order to viciously attack Joey! He says that there is no chance he loses to Poison, let alone when he's not at 100%, but his increasing protectiveness of his belt says otherwise, especially with joey Poison getting Faith back in his corner for the last time! This does not get more finite, as it's the last time these two veterans will ever collide for the world title! Will Whippy the Clown regret not respecting Joey Poison as his peer, or has his deviousness and Joey's injuries done enough to keep him at the top of the food chain? 

CAGE MATCH: Dan DaLay vs Marc Dubois 

Dubois has dreamt of wrestling at home forever, and CGC made that dream a reality by signing the international superstar after the DeColt Wrestlefestival. However, many people have taken offense to his arrival, and Dan DaLay is the only one with the mean streak to act upon it. It might be Marc's home, but CGC is his house, and he wants to kick Marc Dubois out, or at the very least give him an unforgiving beating. Can he stop The Comeback Kid? 

CAGE MATCH: Brett Fraser vs Hugh Ancrie 

Hugh Ancrie is a million dollar wrestler, who has everything he could ever want. He has taken exception to CGC's unruly style of wrestling, standing up for his distorted view of Canadian tradition (and also his sponsorship money) by trying to take out the CGC roster. However, he seems to have met his match with Brett Fraser, the man who hunts mooses for sport and wrestles to unwind. Will Brett's innate tougness make him able to stand up to this beautiful monster? 

CGC World Tag Team Championship Cage Match: The Canadian Blondes vs The Montreal Mafia (C)

The Canadian Blondes feel entitled to the world tag team championships after Flash's injury forced them to give up their title shot in January, to the point where they've gone to any measures, legal or otherwise to ensure this title shot. The Montreal Mafia are on a roll of high level wrestling and finally broke through the glass ceiling that was keeping them down in their career. Will they make The Blondes just another victim or will that injury have just delayed the inevitable? 

CGC Canadian Championship Cage Match: Jamie Atherton vs Skip Beau (C) 

Jamie Atherton might be opportunistic scum, but he's also excellent. And he has continued his impressive record by securing a title shot for a title he doesn't even want! Skip has taken offense to being underestimated like that, but Jamie's cocky-as-hell demeanor cannot be rattled. He knows he will win, and to him it feels like he already has won. The Raging Bull seems to not be getting riled up by his opponents entitlement and mind-games, but does he have what it takes to beat an athlete at Jamie's level inside the unforgiving steel? 

Ant-Man vs Killer Karson

The Beat Up Battalion have no regard for anyone's well being or enjoyment, and CGC needed a hero to step up! And that's what Ant-Man has done, who has ran through the group proving that the size of your heart is bigger than the size of your muscles. Killer Karson however has never been beaten straight up in a CGC ring, and this is truly a collision for the ages!

Alexander Robinson and Sterling Whitlock vs Drake Young and Philippe LeGrenier

After Drake Young cost the dynamic duo of Robinson and Whitlock a shot at the tag team titles, this match was booked to help them seek revenge! Philippe has been in impeccable form ever since finding a hype man in Drake Young, but Robinson and Whitlock are probably the most serious competitors on the roster, and they don't need to find extra motivation than they've already been provided!

Beat Up Battalion vs Clause Reed and Topher Smith

The second chapter of the Superfriends trying to take down the Beat Up Battalion, Clause Reed is in great form, Topher Smith is always exciting in the squared circle, but they're going up against monsters who feast on the idea of making their opponents hurt. It's definitely a tall ask for the Lumberhunk and the Gopher to make this happen!

I am extremely excited for this show, but I will have a couple of days pass before I post it, to let everybody catch up and build some anticipation. I am getting back into the thick of things with university work starting next week, so I thought since I was excited and had the time I could do these daily shows to pass this great PPV cycle (although I will probably still post super often, as these don't take up *too* much time to get through and post).

Match Card For Predictions 

Joey Poison vs Whippy The Clown 

Dan DaLay vs Marc Dubois 

Brett Fraser vs Hugh Ancrie 

The Canadian Blondes vs The Montreal Mafia 

Jamie Atherton vs Skip Beau 

Ant-Man vs Killer Karson

Alexander Robinson and Sterling Whitlock vs Drake Young and Philippe LeGrenier

Beat Up Battalion vs Clause Reed and Topher Smith

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 1

CGC CHAOS IN THE CAGE 2018 REPORT

Attendance: 1626 

PPV Buys: 15,152

A Classic night of high-level wrestling has been delivered from Canadian Golden Combat, a company that is stepping up once again to become a player in the chaotic Canadian wrestling scene. Chaos In The Cage has been the pinnacle PPV event of the company in 2018 in terms of quality, and a landmark of the company's recent history. 

MATCH 1: Superfriends (Clause Reed & Topher Smith) vs Beat Up Battalion (Charlie Homicide & Tongan Death Machine)

The opener contest held special interest as it was the first time these two combinations teamed up, and they delivered a fine result. Charlie Homicide shine brightly, by having the brunt of the offense and his smart wrestling keeping the Superfriends down, but he also made the mistake that allowed Topher to get to Reed finally for a huge hot tag where he absolutely dominated! Clause Reed picked up the win with the Log Saw on Tongan Death Machine, and the Superfriends prevail.

Segment Rating: 36

MATCH 2: Alexander Robinson & Sterling Whitlock vs Drake Young and Philippe LeGrenier 

The opportunity to get revenge was really enticing for Robinson and Whitlock, who have had the tag team titles on sight lately. Drake and LeGrenier have fit really well together, and they presented a real challenge to competitors who usually have the drive and focus to dispatch of these opponents. At some point the bad guys managed to really wear down the legend, hit him with brutal stomps and generally drive the offense towards his "ugly and unfabulous" face, but patience is the biggest virtue in wrestling, as Robinson managed to hit an arm drag that sent Philippe to the outside and that got him enough time to get a fresh Sterling Whitlock in, and he went crazy on poor Philipe to the point where he had to tag in Drake Young. At that point, the result wasn't really in doubt, with Whitlock hitting continuous lariats on Young, hitting a palm strike on LeGrenier to make sure he doesn't get involved, and pinning his helpless opponent. 

Segment Rating: 47

MATCH 3: Ant-Man vs Killer Karson 

Karson wagered his status of never having been pinned or submitted in a CGC ring (a bit ambitious considering the length of time) against the unofficial leader of the Superfriends, a man with freakish strength and the heart of an...ant? This match was actually really fun, although it lacked substance. Karson showed off his insane athleticism by going toe to toe with the cruiserweight in terms of distance ran, showing what makes him so dangerous. However, this hyperactivity was to be his demise, as he went for the Killer Boot three times and it was reversed all three, with the last one being a visually awesome Capture Suplex from Ant-Man that gave him the win! 

Segment Rating: 43 

MATCH 4: Jamie Atherton vs Skip Beau (C) in a Cage Match for the CGC Canadian Championship

Cage Matches are unforgiving, claustrophobic, and painful. They completely change the complexion of any match, even just by making retreats impossible. And that changed everything in the complexion of Jamie Atherton. Gone was his cockiness, and he instead found deep in himself the drive to fight a gritty wrestling match. But surviving the Raging Bull is a really tall task. So he went for the eyes, the kidneys, the legs, the private parts, but that would only get Skip angrier, and angrier, and he would reataliate in more violent ways each time. Being thrown repeatedly face first into steel is not fun, everyone! And so, the answer to fight or flight became flight. Dodge attacks, hit kicks, climb up, try to hit a big plancha, repeat. One miss and it would be over, and it happened around 20 minutes in, when Jamie went for a Thunderbolt from the top of the cage, but he just hadn't done enough consistent damage for Skip to take it instead of dodge, so he crashed back first. Skip went for the pin, but he did find the drive to kick down and only lost after a Flow Down. Champion retains, hubris is punished. 

MATCH 5: The Canadian Blondes vs The Montreal Mafia (C) in a Tornado Tag Cage Match for the CGC World Tag Team Championships

We've talked about the complexion of a cage match, and we now see what happens when we have a bit of a mirror matchup: a high-flyer and a technician against a high-flyer and a technician. The enclosed space limits the work these two sides do, but the pace is absolutely frantic. They did start off slow to get their bearings, but the amount of pin break-ups, submission counters, tag team moves and copycat offense was dizzying. This was an ACPW match, and maybe that's why the response was slightly worse than the match before, which told a simpler, classic wrestling story. This contest between the two teams has surely only begun however, as the Canadian Blondes may have captured tag team gold, but they did it by shoving Marc Raisin into exposed steel (of the turnbuckles with the pad removed, which allowed them to double team Dermott Ayres and get the win. 

Segment Rating: 50

MATCH 6: Brett Fraser vs Hugh Ancrie In A Cage Match 

Hugh Ancrie is a complete beast, but Brett Fraser is a beast hunter. The former House of Stone graduate tried multiple times to end things quickly and choke Fraser out, but he couldn't due to his unrelenting toughness. Headbutts, slaps, kicks, punches, throws, all were used to keep the distance between the two. But Hugh Ancrie isn't one of the animals Brett hunts in his spare time (with license and responsibility of course), he is evolved. As the match went on, he would adapt. Attacking the neck doesn't work, so let's attack the leg for two minutes, then get back to what he is familiar with. The ever magnifying difference in speed became too much, and the suplexes and neckbreakers soon became a sight that is to become familiar: The Crying Game, Reverse DDT into Dragon Sleeper, securing another win for Hugh Ancrie, in merely 10 minutes.

SEGMENT 1: Post-Match Interview 

Jenny Playmate sprinted into the ring after the match was over in order to get an interview with Hugh. He was asked about his dreamy-errr, dreamlike start to his CGC career, and what is next after this. To which he simply responded that he's on to bigger things, flashed a smile, and left.

SEGMENT 2: Marc Dubois Makes His Entrance

This entrance wasn't even too fancy, just a huge spotlight and Dubois in excellent red and gold gear. The point is, the crowd went nuts for this. The Comeback Kid made a statement by just coming out to wrestle.

MATCH 7: Dan DaLay vs Marc Dubois in a Cage Match 

Dan DaLay is in his element in the cage matches. His old school offense thrives and he actually uses the cage heavily every time. Marc Dubois took a lot of punishment to a level that he hadn't been used to. This was very competitive, unlike what you may expect watching Dubois be at the top of his game, but DaLay has faced DeColts for 22 years, and he knows what to do when overmatched in every way other than power- you not only use your power, but you also rile your opponent up. Hair pulling, biting, stomping the groin, giving wet willies, dictating and demonstrating a whole bully's handbook to a ghost writer, anything it takes. But, as often in life, talent and determination prevails. Dubois' comebacks are unstoppable and completely tide-changing, from the whirlwind speed to the rope-recoil snap german suplexesand most importantly the crowd ate everything up. Years of DaLay PTSD kicked in as while Marc went for the Comeback Lariat, a big boot and a DaLay Down got a 2.9 count. The brain claw that followed was agonizing, but Dubois had the answer for it. He used the steel cage wall as leverage to deliver an uppercut to DaLay, and when they both recovered instantly hit the Marc Of Excellence (Superkick into Skull Crusher) for the win, in what is so far the CGC Match Of The Year!

Segment Rating: 61

SEGMENT 3: Title Match Hype Video 

The biggest story in CGC, spanning four months, is recapped for the viewers here, from Whippy's gutsy title reign, to the comparisons between the two during Joey's rise to contention, to Whippy helping him against Gargantuan and the Luck Of The Draw interference of Atherton, the classic at the DeColt Wrestlefestival, Faith's absence and of course, Whippy's devastating attack. This is the night it ends, confined in the unforgiving Cage. 

Segment Rating: 41 for some reason

MATCH 8: Joey Poison w/ Faith vs Whippy The Clown (C) w/Quibble The Clown in a Cage Match For The CGC World Heavyweight Championship

This is what is all about. The crowd was practically begging for Joey to win, and Whippy immediately took offense to that, making it a point to outwrestle joey whenever he could...which was often as each time Joey got the upper hand, he'd get a blow to his injured leg by Whippy, who would then capitalize. A part of the match was Quibble trying to play mind games to Joey by freaking Faith out, in order to make her seem like a liability and not have Joey capitalize on the mental boost of the Power of Friendship. Whippy really was in control for quite a large portion of this 24(!) minute match, hitting a Clowning Around but not getting the job done, before deciding to put all his attention on the leg instead of using it as a crutch. With ruthless efficiency, he attacked to the point of Joey having difficulty standing up, and at that point he requested from Quibble the handkerchiefs, wanting to choke Joey out. Faith tried to stop them but the threat of physical violence was too much, and Joey was on his own against an opponent with an unorthodox weapon. That tiny bit of separation however helped Joey mount a big comeback, with a backdrop that shook Whippy to his core, and a Twisting Cutter for the nearfall. He then noticed the "rope", and tried to grab it to tie Whippy's legs with it, but it resulted in a bit of Tug of War sequence where Whippy's experience in the matter help him use the momentum to kind of arm drag Joey and get him into this devious assisted Choke Hold. Poison struggled but knew he didn't have much time, so he let his legs go and got out with a Jawbreaker, jumped right into the Antidote's Web Cradle 1...2...the leg strength just isn't there! He swiftly grabs the handkerchiefs, uses them to tie Whippy's arm to his own, and that's the moment where instinct kicks in: countering a punch from the completely rattled Whippy, since he can't really run at this point, he generates the momentum to get him up for a big Modified Driver of sorts, and just collapses on top of Whippy for the pin. 1...2...3! He has done it! A sequence of pain defying brilliance was enough for Joey Poison to show he belongs at the top of the food chain in CGC. Joey doesn't get up until the referee has untied the two exhausted opponents. He receives the belt and a hug from Faith, and he stands tall, as CGC World Heavyweight Champion.

Overall Rating: 57

• Like 1

Congratulations on your highest-quality show yet. I'm sure that record will keep being broken.

I admire your ability to tell a wide variety of match stories, which is particularly handy on a show like this where you need five different cage matches to feel distinct. Even with my limited Canada knowledge, I love the details like "this was an ACPW match" and "DaLay has faced DeColts for 22 years". It really helps with the immersion.

The Canadian Championship match and DaLay/Dubois were probably my favourites, both so well written. The Atherton v Beau intro did a great job of transitioning the show from non-cage section to cage and setting a new mood, and the story you told about Jamie being out of his comfort zone made his eventual defeat feel more logical and less disruptive to his momentum.

I was swerved by the main event. I thought Whippy had too much momentum with the heel turn, Quibble, my suspicions Faith would be unfaithful and you mentioning physical decline, but Joey did it. And I'm in awe that two 40-somethings held up for 24 minutes. Hardly any of my roster can handle more than 10.

• Like 1

You're too kind! If I was going to justify 5 cage matches, I thought I have to really sell the cage like it's the 70's. Only Brett vs Hugh was unaffected, intentionally due to how the NOTBPW guy wrestles. I do think maybe some matches were similar (the way Jamie and Dan attack, for instance), but that's just me writing these down in like a couple of hours rather than pre-planning the spots themselves. 

A smart booker would keep the title on Whippy and transition to Dubois vs Whippy in a title feud, even if it's early just to capitalize on the big draw and the fact Whippy will never have more momentum and he's probably the best part of the show. But I told a specific story, and it's not the most unique, but the way I stacked everything up against Joey and made this about whether he's a main event level guy or not, I thought I shouldn't change my plans on him winning because of the signings. The thing that pains me however is that there's no way he's getting a long reign, so maybe I just rationalized making a worse decision. But in my mind CGC is a company that is all about the good guys winning (ironic in how I've structured the roster!), which also played a part. We'll see, I've changed my plans on the build for the next PPV three times, as this was as far ahead as I had practically 60% of things down before I started the save.

By the way, the match got a 57...because Whippy also entered physical decline one week before the PPV. Luckily their stamina number is quite high so if you go with slow build, you can get a pretty good and long match. Also I am pretty sure the match got penalized for the storyline not being hot due to the video package flopping which is hilarious.

• Like 1

I see what you mean about Whippy retaining potentially being more logical, but sometimes you’ve just got to go with your gut. As you say, it fits the ethos of the company, and you’d never get another chance to give Poison that ending if you didn’t take this one. Plus it gives you a fun challenge now to book your way through that more complicated scenario.

Ah, that’s rough about the video tanking the rating (how bizarre) and them both starting to decline at the peak of their popularity, but you’ve hopefully got them both to a level of overness where it won’t be punished too harshly for the rest of this year at least.

• Like 1

CANADIAN GOLDEN COMBAT HITS THE ROAD FOR AN ONTARIO TOUR! 

Continuing the big success of CGC in 2018, the company has heard the pleas of our fans in Ontario, and the next 4 TV shows are coming from cities in the region, with IN THE COMPANY OF LEGENDS scheduled to take place in Toronto's Varsity Arena, the first PPV here since 2014! Purchase a ticket and come for CGC's superstar Combatants like Marc Dubois, Skip Beau, Jamie Atherton and CGC World Heavyweight Champion Joey Poison! 

The Card for Sunday, Week 3 of March 2018 in Hamilton, Ontario, Title Bout Wrestling's backlash from Chaos In The Cage, has been released: 

Joey Poison's Big Championship Celebration is taking place!

Thunder & Lightning face off Sterling Whitlock and Alexander Robinson's newest prodigy, Lewis Frey!

The Montreal Mafia and Canadian Blondes differences have NOT been settled, and Dermott Ayres is going up against Ozzie Golden in a singles match!

Blockbuster battles Zeus Maximillion in a battle of incomprehensible power!

We will hear from CGC Champion Skip Beau!

The newly-dubbed Superfriends want to end the Beat Up Battalion's terror once and for all in a 6 Man Tag Team Match!

And for our main event, fresh of his Chaos In The Cage win, Marc Dubois does not want to rest, he only wants to get more Hard To The Core, as he goes up against Curtis Mobstar!

• Like 1

Vibert's Voice - Ep. 155, Tuesday, Week 4 of May 2018

While we transition into our CGC segment, let's talk about two alumnis of the company as Bobby Thomas defeated Antonio Del Veccio in Varsity Arena, the same venue CGC will run In The Company Of Legends from, to win the 4C Championship, the first major honor of his career, in a match that I thought was quite damn good. Let's see if CGC's regional tour in Ontario has gotten to an equally successful start, shall we?

SEGMENT 1: 

The show opens with Joey Poison's big celebration for winning the CGC World Heavyweight Championship, essentially thrown by the locker room and organized by Faith. There is baloons, banners, weird 2000's indie blasting and an incredible ovation. These folks have missed CGC I think. Joey has his moment to cut a promo thanking everyone for believing him and being with him for this wild, really 23 year long ride. He however adds that being a champion is not just about the belt, but what you do with it. He will defend this hurt, healthy, here, there, everywhere, and he can't wait for his first challenger to show u- generic, identity-less music hits, and Intrepid Ian Identity comes out, saying that he has had a historic 4 week undefeated streak and he declares himself as first in line, because Joey may have fluked his way to greatness, but it's Ian's destiny and birthright to reach the top and relieve him of that belt. It's kind of a downer ending to the party but a fine segment. 

MATCH 1: 

Dermott Ayres vs Ozzie Golden. Marc Raisin and Flash were ringside, and Marc made sure this one would be clean, constantly repelling interference and that threw both Blondes off their game. Dermott went in with a plan, hitting rapid backbreakers in between just unnerving offense. Usually these two are the technicians, but after the PPV loss, The Mafia knew how to adapt the gameplan. As a result, with Ozzie not able to take the easy way out and also familiarity between the two competitors muted, it was a matter of time Ayres made him tap to the Montreal Crab.

SEGMENT 2: 

Jamie Atherton is sitting alone in the locker room, having it emptied out from the common wrestlers, brooding, monologuing. He's absolutely in disbelief after his failure at Chaos In The Cage, feeling things he never has before. Self doubt? Disappointment? Like he has to try? What is this and why does it feel like middle school? For the first time in his career he feels directionless, and like he might be like everyone else. After he almost throws up by simply uttering those words, he has an epiphany: he needs help and advice. 

Segment Rating: 67

MATCH 2: 
Lewis Frey and Sterling Whitlock vs Thunder & Lightning. I am told the move to put these two together mirrors real life as Robinson seems to have taken Frey under his wing backstage. Also to me it makes sense to put two serious guys together and hope they develop their personality. We've talked about Thunder & Lightning, it's bad that they lose all the time but they get fine matches out of their losses even without being over. Whitlock pinned Thunder after a Backdrop Driver. 

Segment Rating: 48

SEGMENT 3: 

Ian bursts into Alex DeColt's office demanding a match for the title by virtue of being on a streak and having talked to the champion on live Television which should be sealing the deal, really. Alex tells him that he's making a compelling case, but he's never not going to give a young Combatant the opportunity to prove himself further. That's why next week's Title Bout Wrestling main event match will be a #1 contender's match between Intrepid Ian Identity and Alexander Robinson, with everyone barred from ringside except Joey Poison who will act as an outside enforcer. Ian will have to earn his title shot, and he's devastated.

MATCH 3: 

Blockbuster vs Zeus Maximillion. These two decided to work a very bare-bones match, two dudes who think they're more badass than each other exchanging blows. At some point, the Meathead Metalhead beats up the demigod so badly he finds an opening. As he goes for the BusterBomb however, He is STRUCK BY LIGHTNING and the match ends in a no contest. This was metal, but also kind of bad because they were clearly holding back. 

Segment Rating: 38

SEGMENT 4: 

Skip Beau wants to address the fans after a very gutsy title defense on Friday, but he doesn't even get the time to do it, as Hugh Ancrie comes out to congratulate him, but more importantly to not make him get a word in. Hugh says that he was really impressed by his performance against that cocky cruiserweight from Alberta, and that he realized he doesn't just have to go after the CGC roster, but the DeColt Powerhouse trainees. Winning the Canadian title, the title equivalent to the biggest he won in his career, is just a bonus. Skip seems to just be happy having a real man's man present an honorable challenge to him, and he goes for a handshake. Hugh accepts, flashes a smile to the hardcam for the twitter meme posters, and pulls him in for the Reverse DDT. 

SEGMENT 5: The Clownshow duo are hanging out in a poorly lit room backstage, plotting their next move. Quibble seems heartbroken about Whippy's loss at Chaos In The Cage, but Whippy is just hyper, perhaps to supress the feeling of failure. But it's fine, because he has the next big thing. A plan so big, and heinous, that it will shake CGC to its core, force everyone's hand, and either ruin the company or have Whippy walk into endless title chances, money, fame, stand up gigs in stadiums instead of running local theaters with his improv group, Burden of Prov, and so on and so on. Quibble gets him back to reality to specify his plan. Whippy says it's simple: We kill the kid. 

Segment Rating: 52

MATCH 4: 

The Superfriends vs Beat-Up Battalion. It was a fun 6 man tag, these guys have developed some chemistry over the last month and have gone from practically having "non-terrible" matches to something solid. And that's even with the Superfriends controlling most of the match, which was a refreshing change of pace in terms of how the rest of the show has gone with heels dominating screen time. Clause Reed put Charlie Homicide in the Log Saw while Gopher & The Ant took the other guys out with stereo dives, and the Superfriends prevail, for the final time in quite a while I presume.

MATCH 5: 

Curtis Mobstar vs Dubois was the most intense match the company has run this year, and probably what they were envisioning when they brought Marc Dubois in. Mobstar can do a timeless brawl, that guy has a future in this company to me. Marc struggled a lot (in story terms) with that energy Mobstar kept bringing, but he had that Ace skill to get up to speed and outdo him instead of change his plan. As Mobstar went behind, he tried to bring weapons into the mix, but that only angered official Russell Eicke, who kept him on a short lease for the rest of the match, and by that point hair-pulling and hard strikes could not stop the inevitable: a Marc Of Excellence for the win. This was great. And just one rating point better than the Thomas vs Del Veccio match I mentioned earlier. 

SEGMENT 6: 

Marc Dubois wants to send the crowd home happy, talking about every time he's in a CGC ring he raises the target but he never misses the Marc or something like that, and Whippy The Clown comes out holding some sort of one-red-button remote. Whippy says this is a wonderful occasion, in front of the CGC faithful here in HAMILTON, ONTARIO (mixed reaction because wrestling fans sometimes just have to cheer for their city). And a big moment too, as we all witnessed Marc Dubois, The Comeback Kid, win his LAST CGC match. He presses the button, and from the top of the arena, a huge dark dumbbell with 1000 KG written on it in white lettering. It falls to the ring and...it's made of foam and just casually bops off Marc's head. Dubois is only irritated at Whippy's stunt and tries to exit the ring to give him a piece of his mind, and Whippy just starts pressing the button again and again in panic...which summons Quibble The Clown and his trusty baseball bat, with which he obliterates Marc Dubois to end the show with Whippy ROFLing on the floor laughing. 

Overall Rating: 63(!!!!!!!)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the detail of the 2000s indies music for the celebration.

Ooh, interesting that Atherton is showing some humility, following up the idea he truly was humbled by the cage.

It’s cool that you’re rolling with how the game world is developing in forming that new team, while Beau/Ancrie feels like a program that makes sense and got off to a strong start.

The contrast between Whippy’s reaction to his big loss and Atherton’s works well: the hyperactivity fits the character. I was intrigued to see what the plan was, and it didn’t disappoint. Two of your top dogs on a collision course, and after that main event rating you must be optimistic of big business. And this line was great too: “wrestling fans sometimes just have to cheer for their city”.

• Like 1

Humility is a strong word! 

I am glad that the feuds have started off strong because as mentioned I changed plans multiple times, and someone (probably Joey) was always going to get shafted by the arranging of the heels and who they'd work with. 

CGC IS COMING TO LONDON, ONTARIO! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING HEADLINED BY A #1 CONTENDER'S MATCH FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP! 

Flash goes up against Marc Raisin to continue the build of matches ahead of the anticipated rematch of The Montreal Mafia for the tag team titles!

Ant-Man faces Nathan Black, the former Predator wanting to get back in the business of winning wrestling matches!

Blockbuster needs to find a tag team partner in order to face Zeus & Stevie after he was struck by the Demigod's wrath last week!

Marc Dubois faces Quibble the Clown, working his way towards Whippy after the Clowns' devastating attack after his incredible win in last week's main event!

And after these huge matches, the main event is going to be Alexander Robinson vs Intrepid Ian Identity, with Alex DeColt surely hoping the veteran slaps some sense into the brash challenger. Champion Joey Poison will act as enforcer to make sure this match is clean and worthy of the stakes!

These tickets are more in demand than ever, grab them as fast as you can!

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 1

Vibert's Voice - Ep. 156, Tuesday, Week 1 of June 2018

Ok so, we did Total Mayhem, we did the potential politicking to get Aaron Andrews over Rocky Golden in the biggest show of the year, we did Huggins vs Jameson in the match of the night, is there anything else? Oh, right. CGC time. Title Bout Wrestling was once again a solid show! Slowly bringing up those crowds, 575 announced attendance, although they've drown more in Ontario than they do at home probably due to scarcity. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Intrepid Ian Identity opens the show, and basically hypes himself up for his #1 contender's match in the main event, saying he understands that the boss, Alex DeColt, is showing him some tough love and is grateful to let everyone in London know that he's him. His birthright won't be denied, his destiny fulfilled, and he will beat Joey Poison at In The Company Of Legends, because it's kind of written in the stars that he will. Joey Poison comes out, reminding Ian that he shouldn't be overconfident going into the main event as Joey himself will make sure he doesn't use any underhanded tactics, but Ian says how can't he be confident when Joey has been physically struggling for months and is only just holding onto the belt because of the power of friendship? Ian knows this is just his path to becoming World Champion, but Joey just shrugs him off and flashes his belt, because Ian lost his to Skip Beau in his last 'biggest match of his career'.

Segment Rating: 59

MATCH 1: 

Flash vs Marc Raisin. This time, Ozzie and Dermott Ayres were the ones trying to help their partner overcome how extremely even the odds were and how well-matched these four are, but this match was the flippiest match of the year in CGC, and had less opportunities for blatant cheating, at least early on. Whirlwind pace, great counters and just a sense of fun prevailing. But things don't go similarly in this match, as seeing Dermott thwart him too many times, Ozzie Golden has got backup: Drake Young and Philippe LeGrenier come in, beat the hell out of Dermott, and as the second member of The Montreal Mafia complains to the ref that they should be ejected and order restored or else he will wake up with the head of the horse in his blankets, Flash got him in the Crucifix pin for the win. Wrestling is simple, and these four do it well.

Segment Rating: 54

SEGMENT 2: 

Blockbuster goes into the "dweebs locker room" in order to recruit a tag team partner for his match later on, but he gets shut down by everyone. Curtis Mobstar doesn't like his music, the Beat Up Battalion are offended by his lack of commitment after they tried to recruit him weeks ago, Dapper Danny Draper talks about the unbreakable bond of Team CD and how he cannot betray that...but Chucky Dorrance certainly can, as he hastily accepts the opportunity for Exposure. 

Segment Rating: 38

MATCH 2: 

Ant-Man vs Nathan Black. This was Ant-Man showing he can beat up on people his own size, as he manhandled the veteran with increasingly enjoyable offense, and kudos to Black for bumping like that 19 years in. Not much to say other than Ant-Man not opting for the Doctor Bomb, but ending things with a Top Rope Headbutt instead. 

SEGMENT 3: 

Jamie Atherton has found just the person he needed to in order to get his mojo back: Dan DaLay. He goes up to the locker room harassment leader, shakes his hand, looks at him firmly in the eyes, and asks him for advice because he has been losing to the DeColt family for 20 years, so he must know how it feels now that Jamie got pinned once. Dan is, shockingly, enthusiastic to help him, and they go over a motivational montage: Jamie needs to decrease the number of flips and multiply that by the number of people whose lives he's made a living hell. It's not about winning, it's about sending a message. But also, sometimes it is about winning. Dan says he's got a match for him next week, to demonstrate what he's learned. 

Segment Rating: 52 

MATCH 3: 

Marc Dubois vs Quibble The Clown. Maybe there should be a weight limit put in terms of who Marc Dubois fights, because the last two matches were absolute fire and a little better than the big DaLay match. Quibble has come into his own as a performer in the indies- well, I guess CGC is not an indie only due to the pity TV deal they have- and he was an excellent foil to Dubois in this match. Whippy was mostly cheering him on, other than a spot where he put an invisible wall up as Dubois was chasing Quibble on the outside. This little interference did help hip get the upper hand with dives and a lot of hair pulling (people in CGC seem to not like luscious blond hair), but Marc did what he usually does in these matches and steadily built up to a comeback with clotheslines, forearm strikes, a big Flapjack. But in this match Dubois didn't go for the Comeback Lariat or the Marc Of Excellence, debuting the finisher we mostly have known him with in the SWF- The Model Solution guillotine choke. Quibble tapped out immediately.

SEGMENT 4: 

Whippy tries to instantly get in the ring and attack Dubois, but he has let go of the hold and is ready for a scrap. Whippy backs off, then implies a peace offering as he wants to retrieve Quibble's downed body. Marc takes two steps backwards, and as Whippy helps his fallen soldier to his feet, tries to spray Dubois with the most tiny of water guns, violating the truce and perhaps the Geneva convention, and presumably officially laying a challenge for the PPV. 

Segment Rating: 62 

MATCH 4: 

Blockbuster & Chucky Dorrance vs Zeus and Stevie. This will shock everyone, but the heels didn't have the best rapport or cooperation. Blockbuster would just scream commands at random that were stuff like "beat his ass" and "no, take that hit harder what are you doing" and "DODGE", but all Chucky was able to do is question the integrity of his tactical nuance, and he therefore lost the match in quite a short, brisk runtime without the metalhead even tagging in, as Stevie Grayson rolled Chucky up despite having hit him with way too many dropkicks before, as if he didn't know how to pin someone normally.

SEGMENT 5: 

Blockbuster, furious, tries to write off the loss and say it's clear we don't know who's the most metal of the two yet, but Zeus points out that his hair is still in Yu-Gi-Oh shape after the thunderstrike last week and that he lost tonight, so, really it's obvious. Blockbuster tries to lunge forward...and attack Stevie Grayson, but Zeus sees everything coming and clutches his arm in order to use ancient Greek techniques and transition to the Olympian Clutch. As Blockbuster screams for help, Zeus motions for Stevie to put the mic closer to his face, and declares that Blockbuster needs to prove that he can even contend for the title of the Most Metal Wrestler in CGC. Perhaps Half Man Half God is too much for him.

Segment Rating: 46

MATCH 5: 

Intrepid Ian Identity vs Alexander Robinson was a really good match, where Ian took all the "tries to cheat but isn't able to" spots out in the first 5 minutes, because he then had the same realization as a couple weeks ago: he's a really good wrestler who knows how to do this. Alexander was an excellent dance partner, and was allowed to have his best CGC match yet, because Ian is one of the most polished performers on the roster and Robinson knows how to build a match with those qualities. If I had to describe the style, I know that the DeColts used to have a lot of classic brawls, but this had something more american to it as a match. The way they hit their cues and exchanged signatures, Ian kind of escapes the Jack DeColt comparisons (he's the one who used to train these guys after all) and reminds me a bit more of young Jack Bruce. Might just be how he smiled at Joey every time he took an advantage. Robinson hit the Canadian Violence european uppercut, but Ian got his foot on the ropes, and after that it was all about outlasting the veteran, even if he's in excellent shape for a 45 year old. Ian's punches just didn't get answered with the same glee after about 15 minutes, and that's when he capitalized. Punch, punch, dodge, kick to the stomach, DDT. Play to the crown, call Joey Poison a relic that will be forgotten as he makes history and manifests his destiny, get hit by Robinson, get your bearings back, stomp on his foot, elbow strikes, Identity Theft (Rock Bottom). That's how Intrepid Ian Identity became the #1 contender to the CGC World Championship.

SEGMENT 6: 

Joey Poison gets in the ring, tells Ian that he carried himself like a true Power House graduate, but he should not expect his first title challenge to be successful, because no one's has been! The important part is that he's learning and seems ready for the big dance. Ian asks him what would happen if he kicked the inside of his left knee right now, and as Joey kind of uneasily backed off, Ian went on a tirade. He said Poison didn't think what would happen if he actually took the title. That he's the most vulnerable man in Canadian Golden Combat, to the point where he hasn't won a match with his finisher in months. Ian knows he's inevitable, but Joey shouldn't have made it so easy on him. But the best part is, he doesn't even have to attack him and stain his image, because he legally has a chance to incapacitate him next week, on Title Bout Wrestling's main event: Intrepid Ian Identity and Hugh Ancrie vs Joey Poison and that twerp Skip Beau!

Overall Rating: 60

• Like 1

Another strong show with some really fun lines such as “violating the truce and perhaps the Geneva convention” and “his hair is still in Yu-Gi-Oh shape”.

What a hostage to fortune from Joey to point out that nobody has won their first challenge before. I fear for him, but then I got it wrong last month.

• Like 1