CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

CGC IN OTTAWA! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING WITH THE FOLLOWING CARD: 

Champions vs Challengers: Joey Poison and Skip Beau vs Intrepid Ian Identity and Hugh Ancrie

Clause Reed vs Jamie Atherton 

The Montreal Mafia vs Drake Young & Philippe LeGrenier 

Ant-Man vs Blockbuster

Whippy The Clown vs Topher Smith

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 157, Tuesday, Week 2 of June 2018

At the end of the day, no matter what your preferred brand of wrestling is, when you're one of the thousand people that give me money to talk about it, you know you deeply care about the art form and the business, and subjective opinions shouldn't overcome your will to pay me. Which brings us to CGC, my favorite currently sports entertainment product, because I can't help but root for achieving underdogs. 

MATCH 1: 

The show opens with Ant-Man vs Blockbuster, and it's the first time this year that Blockbuster hasn't dropped the ball when in an important match (I will not count Dubois carrying him through the sheer excitement of his debut). He's genuinely menacing here, it's not just Ant-Man getting offense and being fun with it. His strikes are less fake, his power moves hit with more intent behind them, and well, I know Ant-Man is carrying the action but it just flows better than most of the matches we've got from Blockbuster this year. Which is why when I saw him hit Ant-Man with that Turnbuckle Bomb, I winced and got really worried, but thankfully the Ant is fine. We got Ant-Man hitting a Dr. Bomb on the 6'6 Blockbuter for a very nearfall, but it wasn't meant to be. Blockbuster responded with the Iron Maiden Claw, and when he saw Ant-Man wouldn't tap out, a Busterbomb for good measure and the win.

Segment Rating: 50

SEGMENT 1: 

Zeus Maximillion comes out with a microphone, saying that it seems half-men half-ants are more Blockbuster's speed, but the San Francisco native cuts him off. He retorts that Zeus is all talk, all love and thunder, which just isn't metal at all, and he lays a double challenge: a music contest for next week, and a match at In The Company Of Legends: Metal Mayhem, the one on one version of Chamber of Horrors*. Zeus smiles and tries to summon a thunderbolt for dramatic effect, but Blockbuster kicks him in the balls.

Segment Rating: 41 

MATCH 2: 

Clause Reed vs Jamie Atherton showed that the top featured guys (and by extension the show itself) have reached a special point of popularity: Put the top guy vs anyone and you get something that is both solid enough and over enough with the crowd that is better than anything they did until April. This match ruled, and it was just 8 minutes of Jamie getting yelled at by Dan DaLay (who was at ringside) every time he went for a flip, and losing control to Reed until he went into the "cathartic bullying" techniques taught by Dan. Those did turn the tide in his favor, but without having the separation to go for a Thunderbolt, and being the much smaller man, Jamie got the win by countering a piledriver setup into a Jackknife pin, pulling on Clause's gear to hold on as much as possible.

Segment Rating: 54

SEGMENT 2: 

Dan tried to give Jamie a few pointers on his technique and how "next time just lift the guy sometimes like I do, son" but Atherton had to interject. He said he understood the general philosophy, but he didn't think it's a one to one fit because of the foot long difference in height and 70 pound difference in weight. Dan says that he can stay for next week's special class since he's already made the payment, and they'll see where they pivot from there, to which Jamie agrees. 

MATCH 3: 

The Montreal Mafia vs Drake Young and Philippe LeGrenier. This is another example of what I talked to earlier- Montreal Mafia are just way more over than expected and can do no wrong, so the undercarders' heel antics are elevated- and since the Mafia are lifelong underdogs, it's a perfect fit. There's a bit too much comedy maybe with Young bringing back his invisible grenade spot from years past, but other than that it's just clean action and Philippe looked really good. Once again The Canadian Blondes don't really bother to come out and return the favor from their two allies, and Drake Young taps out to the Montreal Crab.

SEGMENT 3: 

The Mafia actually speak! And they call out the Canadian Blondes. They say that they should mix things up. Three weeks ago they had a cage match. At In The Company Of Legends, it should not be decided by who gets the first pinfall when they're so evenly matched. Quality and consistency should prevail. They want a Two out of Three Falls match, to show these two pretty boys why they're considred the best at waste management. The Blondes come out, they accept, then immediately they have a shockingly brutal brawl by CGC standards, where the Blondes drive both members of the Montreal Mafia face first into the ring posts. 

Segment Rating: 51

SEGMENT 4: 

Hugh Ancrie has yet another interview with an, ahem, increasingly horny? but PG-horny of course, Jenny Playmate, and Intrepid Ian Identity is there, trying to leech off of Hugh's popularity. I can't really get into the content of the segment because it was a bit chaotic and Ian constantly interrupting both the questions and any flirting, but it was fairly fun if kept in really small doses. Considering Jenny isn't interviewing anyone else lately, I'm going to call this a gimmick.

Segment Rating: 62

MATCH 4: 

Topher Smith vs Whippy The Clown. Marc Dubois was on commentary, which was great because he has kind of either cut a generic promo or gotten interrupted after his debut, so this is another good chance to humanize the new face of the company, who talks about his issues with Whippy and how he's been wrestling a lot the past few weeks to make up for the time lost. In ring however, Whippy turns back the clock in order to have a high flying focused match with Topher Smith, and this really puts the youngster over by comparison. It's a fine match, one where Whippy doesn't even try to cheat until he knows he'll lose, and as Topher goes for the Gopher Broke 450 degree splash, Whippy gets the knees up and rakes his eyes to get Topher up for the Joke's On You easier.

Segment Rating: 52 

SEGMENT 5: 

Marc instantly gets in the ring after Whippy's match, Whippy tries to shake his hand but he clearly has a buzzer on. So Marc eviscerates him with words instead, talking about his real problem with Whippy isn't being targeted or the cowardly manner of his attack, but the fact he was talking such a big game, and one good day, one good moment of Joey showing he's a great wrestler was enough to get him from someone proudly carrying the company to a parody of a wrestler. The Comeback Kid says he hopes he'll beat some sense into Whippy but he's cut off. Whippy reminds him that Marc Dubois was brought in to be "the top wrestler and face of the company" while HE was holding the belt. Alex DeColt replaced him while he was on the run of his life, so all Whippy can do really, is take Marc out. Tells him to watch his back, because if it's not him who beats Dubois into a quiet retreat in rural Manitoba, it will be someone else. All he knows, is that Dubois is not fit for CGC and the locker room knows it. 

Segment Rating: 64

MATCH 5: 

Champions vs Challengers tag match. Well this was simple. Hugh and Ian just cut the ring in half, and kept on brutalizing Joey Poison's left leg like they said they would. To the point that this was a somewhat boring main event for the crowd in attendance, even though to me the action worked and the story moved forward just fine. Skip Beau is an excellent hot tag, even if Hugh didn't quite sell the severity of those punches: something to look into in the future! The finish found Ian and Joey both in the ring, and Ian debuted a new move, just for Joey and their title match: he put him in the Prison Lock, and he would just flex for the crowd as Joey was helpless and in pain. Skip broke the hold, but the message was sent. Hugh lariated himself and Skip out of the ring, and as Joey slowly got up, Ian Identity hit a brutal Identity Theft for the win. 

SEGMENT 6: 

After the match ended, Ian made a point to pose over Joey's body with the World Championship belt, and as the referee took it off him so as not to have any theft shenanigans, Ian pretended to trip and knee dropped Poison on the leg. He fake shouted at the ref for causing this, then retreated laughing. The deck is certainly stacked for next Friday. 

Overall Rating: 57

*CGC's December PPV, think Elimination Chamber with weapons. The solo version is more claustrophobic, a bit more like a cage match.

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 1

Wow, 50+ for every match, and every segment except one too: it feels like everything’s coming together really well. Whippy’s segment was strong again, but I think this was my favourite line of all for the slapstick imagery: “Zeus smiles and tries to summon a thunderbolt for dramatic effect, but Blockbuster kicks him in the balls.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 619 said:

Wow, 50+ for every match, and every segment except one too: it feels like everything’s coming together really well. Whippy’s segment was strong again, but I think this was my favourite line of all for the slapstick imagery: “Zeus smiles and tries to summon a thunderbolt for dramatic effect, but Blockbuster kicks him in the balls.”

We're +6 in popularity than when we started (not being in the graveyard slot helps a lot too I guess) and pop bumps up ratings majorly it seems. I never thought Clause Reed vs Jamie could get a rating like this. 

I guess...maybe...by the next Wrestlefestival we might be reaching the 70's in the huge matches. 

Exciting stuff just because it gets tougher every week to go "yeah this match was great...here's your 49 rating". 

• Like 1

GO HOME SHOW FOR IN THE COMPANY OF LEGENDS! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING FROM BRAMPTON, ONTARIO!

Intrepid Ian Identity and Whippy The Clown vs Joey Poison and Marc Dubois 

Hugh Ancrie vs Sterling Whitlock 

Alexander Robinson and The Montreal Mafia vs The Canadian Blondes and Philippe LeGrenier 

Clause Reed vs Nathan Black 

Gopher and The Ant vs Thunder and Lightning

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 158, Tuesday, Week 3 of June 2018

As we transition to our CGC segment, I'd like to say that I figured out why my ratings have been consistently higher lately: the crowd actually makes some decent noise, which makes moves feel important. The segments still are driven more by the content, but when you have a wrestling crowd react to wrestling moves, no matter how jaded I get that will always hit different. 

MATCH 1: 

Gopher & The Ant vs Thunder & Lightning. A bit of a shame that we've gotten this Canadian indie dream match twice already and it meant nothing either time. Regardless, this is great, the crowd is making noise, I think this month of Ontario shows has completely reinvigorated the energy in the product, and I don't need to get too in depth with the content of the match, as it's what you'd imagine. The technicians trying to keep Topher grounded and Ant-Man incapacitated so that they don't get overwhelmed by their flashier offense, but inevitably since they're currently jobbing, a Springboard Leg Drop from Topher Smith gives Gopher & The Ant a nice win.

MATCH 2: 

Clause Reed vs Nathan Black. Forgettable, but a high floor of action, nothing bad to pick out. Reed is really over, which makes sense since he's local and his gimmick is really simple to get behind. Nathan has taken to being a gatekeeper so well, you'd think he was relieved to settle in this role. Clause Reed is really adept at hitting the basics, his shoulder tackles are crisp, his clotheslines look like they hurt, and his Log Saw a finisher that is growing on me.

Segment Rating: 46

SEGMENT 1: 

Blockbuster and Zeus Maximillion are on the top of the ramp, where a mini stage is set. Blockbuster has an electric Cello because they don't make guitars for hands his size, and Zeus has a harp and a tiny amplifier. They proceed to have a "metal-off" of epic proportions, with Jenny Playmate as the judge. Blockbuster tries to sound violent and hectic and domineering, while Zeus' style is more...it's not the right word considering the genre, but laid back. In the way that he's slow, anthemic and powerful. Blockbuster gets immensely annoying at clearly losing, and tries to argue that since art is subjective he shouldn't be subjected to criticism, but it's too late for him, and Zeus is declared the winner. Blockbuster calls them posers and storms off, because he'd never try to break his prized possesion on their heads.

Segment Rating: 48

MATCH 3: 

Alexander Robinson and The Montreal Mafia vs The Canadian Blondes and Philippe LeGrenier. This was definitely good, but I thought the opener was slightly better due to this match being a bit too busy. The faces were in control for most of the match, with the blondes and Philippe resorting to underhanded tactics constantly just to stay in it, but Robinson was a killer hot tag and his Canadian Violence on Ozzie Golden led to a pin attempt that had to be broken up, and chaos ensued in the ring. The brawl was brief but it led to The Montreal Mafia taking out Flash and Philippe (while getting taken out themselves), and Robinson managed to lock in the Mapleleaf submission for the win.

Segment Rating: 53

SEGMENT 2: 

Dan DaLay is in a poorly lit backstage office room alongside Jamie. He tells Atherton that he's done some thinking over the past week, and brought some extra help. Adrian Garcia walks in, as a guest teacher in the class "what do you do when you got your ass kicked by the good guy?". Adrian says that essentially, the answer is to find the next person to terrorise, even if just to get your mojo back. The end goal is the title, but it's not always about the title. Dan interjects, saying that's what he did attacking Dubois, even if it didn't work out, but his priorities have changed lately. Jamie gets some words of doubt in, but Garcia and DaLay restate their point in a catchier way: back in the day, there was always another DeColt. So, you know, just remember that there's always another DeColt, even if in these days it's more of a symbolic thing. Jamie is perplexed, but then he gets an idea, and thanks both men for their help, showing that bad guys have comradarie and altruism that CGC faces could never show. 

Segment Rating: 57

MATCH 4: 

Hugh Ancrie vs Sterling Whitlock. Skip Beau joins the commentary table, putting over Sterling huge as a tough fighter who embodies what the new generation of CGC should be about, and Hugh as a huge threat to his title and a wrestling savant. And in the ring, these guys deliver the praise, going all out and giving us a cutting edge match full of high impact offense, to the point they were both going groggy 10 minutes in. Alexander Robinson has trained Sterling like a PGHW wrestler, and in this match where his opponent is an elite endurance athlete with excellent basics it shows, as his plan is to hit him in the head until he's dead, and Hugh's plan is similar in order to set up the Crying Game. Around 13 minutes in the contest, Sterling is completely locked in to the concept of ending things with a Vertical Spike, but Hugh either stops him outright or counters every time. Frustrated, Sterling tries to go for the Lariats that gave him the win at Chaos In the Cage, but Ancrie dodges and uses his momentum to get him in the position for the Crying Game. Whitlock has no choice but to tap out, and this is their first "short" match that gets this good a rating, excellent stuff.

Segment Rating: 63 

SEGMENT 3: 

Skip hits the ring after the match to congratulate Ancrie, but Hugh isn't in the mood to play nice. Hugh tells Skip that while he thinks Skip Beau is a good Combatant, he doesn't think he's a good champion. Where he comes from, the Canadian championship represents excellence, while here he sees Beau play second fiddle to old men and people he's beaten before. Hugh aims to give this title prestige, and make it something that shouldn't be beneath him as he expressed when he first came here. Skip says that he shouldn't plan ahead as he still doesn't have the belt, and he should learn from Jamie's failures because he doesn't intend to give the title up that easily. 

Segment Rating: 60

MATCH 5: 

Intrepid Ian Identity & Whippy The Clown vs Joey Poison & Marc Dubois. This was killer despite the fact Joey and Marc had bad chemistry- or maybe they didn't and it was just the fact they chose to make a huge deal out of Joey's leg. It's getting tiring but I think they can get some more mileage out of it before it jumps the shark. This match was their usual tag main event, slowly built with the heels cutting off the ring until the babyface gets the big hot tag, and Dubois on offense keeps being unstoppable. Quibble tried to interfere but got a superkick for his troubles, Whippy got thrown out of the ring (and Joey hit a Suicide Dive on him for good measure), and Marc was in there with the #1 contender, ready to fight. Ian used some underhanded tactics to get Dubois grounded and get him in the Prison Lock, but Marc isn't injured and so his opponent's flexing just compelled him to palm strike Ian in the jaw, which got him out of the hold. Ian, dazed and not sure if he's lost a tooth, tries to go for the Identity Theft to end the match, but Marc is in the zone, and the Marc Of Excellence is still to get kicked out of in CGC. 

Segment Rating: 62 

Overall Rating: 62

• Like 1

Another interesting show ahead of the big one. I was intrigued to see who’d take the fall in such a blockbuster main event and it didn’t disappoint. It will be fun to see if Identity recovers to take the title and has his first contender lined up, or if it’s a red herring.

• Like 1

GCG PRESENTS: IN THE COMPANY OF LEGENDS LIVE AT VARSITY ARENA

One of the biggest shows of the year from CGC arrives, with the biggest attendance projected in a long time, and interestingly the fewest matches in a PPV this year. Alex DeColt also has a big announcement that will be carried out! 

MAIN EVENT: CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Intrepid Ian Identity vs Joey Poison (C)

Ian has managed to get in an enviable position: with a title match at a huge night for the company, one step away from manifesting his destiny, as he says. Joey keeps being ailed by the difficulties of reaching the top of the mountain when not at your peak, with his leg targeted as often as possible by every opponent. It's truly a battle of youth vs experience, but it could also be overconfidence vs the drive to survive. Truly an exciting matchup!

Marc Dubois vs Whippy The Clown 

Marc Dubois keeps winning ever since his arrival at CGC, but that keeps drawing the ire of company mainstays, with Whippy The Clown being the latest to attack him, trying to find ways to distract himself after losing his CGC World Championship. This has not rattled Marc who shows a determination and focus to reach the top of the company and show he is a changed man who has learned from his personal struggles, opposite to Whippy who seems to have forgotten the right way to do things ever since the pressure of carrying the championship got to be too much. Whippy is dangerous and shouldn't be counted out, but if this is a fair fight, Dubois seems unbeatable at this moment. 

CGC CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Hugh Ancrie vs Skip Beau (C)

A battle of philosophies, a battle for the soul of the Canadian championship. House of Stone vs The DeColt Powerhouse. Ancrie is money. Skip is a born fighter. This is an easy sell, the future of Canadian wrestling becoming the present. A match that could steal the show, folks!

CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS MATCH: The Montreal Mafia vs The Canadian Blondes (C)

Despite the fact there's not much separating these two teams, the Blondes managed to prevail in the cage. The Mafia managed to get momentum back the past few Sundays, and the two out of three falls rules are here to make sure someone separates themselves- three seconds on the mat will not be enough, and no interference will be tolerated. Who will prevail once and for all?

METAL MAYHEM MATCH: Blockbuster vs Zeus Maximillion

The battle to find the most metal superstar in CGC has been simple: Blockbuster's brash no-damn-giving attitude against Zeus' legitimate demigod powers. Man against God has been an eternal battle ever since a snake managed to trick Man into adopting a healthy lifestyle, and the Metal Mayhem chamber will test both these Combatants as they go out fighting for their pride.

OPENER SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH: Alexander Robinson, Sterling Whitlock and Lewis Frey vs The Beat Up Battalion

A challenge laid by Robinson to test his young students might prove to be a big mistake as the battalion are licking the wounds after their loss to the Superfriends, arguably being at their most dangerous. Regardless, this will be a very fun way to open the show and a very competitive affair. 

VERY FEW TICKETS ARE LEFT WITH DAYS TO GO! GET YOURS TODAY AT TICKETMASTER!

• Like 1

CGC_InTheCompanyofLegends.jpg.b692ad315bb48e5b758cb8d70b3106f1.jpg

CGC IN THE COMPANY OF LEGENDS REPORT: FRIDAY, WEEK 3 OF JUNE 2018

Attendance: 2000 people (SOLD OUT) 

PPV Buys: 17,542

MATCH 1: Alexander Robinson, Lewis Frey & Sterling Whitlock vs The Beat-Up Battalion (Charlie Homicide, Killer Karson and Tongan Death Machine)

1172981344_AlexanderRobinson.jpg.9d18b29764de8e2395e71e4148958144.jpg1468535504_LewisFreyKingBison.jpg.6994cc164f145b401952a43dacbb3b9c.jpg375314772_SterlingWhitlock.jpg.32ea4f926b37b04dda453ba667b422de.jpg 

VS

1358545780_CharlieHomicideLoNdOn1.jpg.bbf8e7c8a0147b2a87fa90b65d805822.jpg28202983_KillerKhan.jpg.3cd863393ea1fa143d4c28a286f19631.jpg248059272_SialeValhallasmw88.jpg.7fe93a71e9cc70fbe0cb02eafa11befc.jpg 

Starting off the show, we have a very physical and competitive 6 man tag team match that really embodies the spirit of 2018 CGC. Despite being outmatched in size, Robinson and his students relish this environment, taking as much punishment as they dish from the athletic monsters. For about 15 minutes, you forget the recent troubles of the Beat Up Battalion, as they belong in this match as wrestlers first and foremost, and then as bullies that love making their opponents hurt. This is a tone-setter as you get chokeslams on the apron, german suplexes for everyone and a very shocking ending, as Lewis Frey gets TDM in the ankle lock for the huge victory!

SEGMENT RATING: 51 

MATCH 2: BLOCKBUSTER VS ZEUS MAXIMILLION, IN METAL MAYHEM 

946038235_BlockbusterkingBison1.jpg.531a72a188a8f5754630b7bc068c2632.jpg

VS

254104627_ZeusMaxmillionjtlant2.jpg.b2177fbe87c829c28754b4f8dece952f.jpg

Metal Mayhem is usually reserved for the multi-man offshoot that is the Chamber of Horrors, but when the stakes ARE metal, it has to be brought out. Since there aren't more competitors to enter, the pods are filled with extra weapons for the challengers to grab. In general, the difference between cage and chamber is simple: getting thrown on a metal floor hurts a lot more, so the match generally does not stay within the ring, and that doesn't happen here either. Zeus keeps trying to throw Blockbuster into the pod glass to break it and retrieve the weapons, Blockbuster keeps wanting to break his opponent's back on the metal floor, this isn't a surprise that it lasts only 10 minutes really, as the violence is magnified from the usual. Zeus Maximillion uses chairs and kendo sticks a lot, but Blockbuster just keeps absorbing the damage, reigning in the blood that is spilled in this vulgar display of power. And now that this is out of the way, Blockbuster hits the Busterbomb on the glass pod within which is a wooden plank. He grabs it with one hand, Zeus with the other, and gets them in the ring. Blockbuster retrieves two chairs and uses them and the plank to make a fake table, then powerbombs Zeus Maximillion through it for the win, and begins screaming from how pumped he is. Now hopefully we won't have to use this structure for 6 more months!

SEGMENT RATING: 46

SEGMENT 1: 

Faith.jpg.b56b449f7dd7ab28e8f0e78d3a7b3e28.jpg758698249_JennyPlaymateShipshirt.jpg.106471e73b9f617360419dcdf9dedd56.jpg

We find ourselves in the backstage area, where Faith is scrolling on her phone. Jenny Playmate appears by her side almost apologetically, and asks her for help with her Tinder account. Yep, this show is not passing the Bechdel test, folks. Anyway, she says she's been trying to get Hugh Ancrie to swipe right on her, which should be easy since once a week she's consistently one mile away, but maybe she needs her profile to make the fact that she's interested in the traditions of Canadian wrestling and mountain biking more clear. Faith offers a hand, saying she used Tinder to find her next client so she's basically an expert, and at this point the segment has done its job so we move on. 

MATCH 3: TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS MATCH FOR THE CANADIAN WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: 

THE MONTREAL MAFIA VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) 

1777789172_DermottAyres.jpg.62c38daa0ca23a91a1be5cb7de32eb49.jpg127808044_MarcRaisinAsaemon(2).jpg.9692df7ad7ab343100d8e56aa2c59dbe.jpg

718813377_CGCTagTeam2.jpg.0fe6a1451d5ce1126e7657f8fe0d7151.jpg 

1384338038_FlashSavage2.jpg.fc55f7adb714cd370ea731447e642c76.jpgOzzieGoldenPoputt.jpg.d09bf4b7d22ce42976435be0610094b7.jpg

This was closer to what we hoped for at Chaos At The Cage in terms of quality, the teams were definitely hindered by the claustrophobia of the steel cage, but we don't get none of that here. Instead, we have an absolute masterclass of tag team wrestling. Dermott Ayres and Flash Savage start off, and within just a couple of minutes Flash feels overmatched and tags his partner in. This small hint of weakness was everything the Montreal Mafia needed, spending the first part of the match constantly tagging in and out and overwhelming the Canadian Blondes with their superior teamwork. The Blondes do try to keep up, but around 8 minutes in they're found in stereo Montreal Crabs and choose to tap out to save themselves from the wear and tear. A cheapshot from Flash to Marc Raisin in the intermediate between the first and second falls brought the match back to a pace and pair of matchups that favor the Blondes more, as they spend the next 4 minutes getting shots on Raisin and cutting the ring off. The moment of seperation Raisin needs does come however, and Dermott gets the hot tag in on Ozzie. It seems like a sweep is coming in favour of the challengers getting their titles back, Ozzie gets a proper mule kick in that the ref doesn't see, and tags Flash in for the quick Crucifix to tie things up. The final fall however was going to be mutually hectic. The balance could shift too quickly to attempt calm control, therefore we got action that often had all four men in, and double team moves that are more reminiscent of lucha libre. Ayres and Raisin want to go for the stereo Crabs again, but it's scouted. A Raisin D'Etre is countered into a Heart Attack from the Canadian Blondes, and then they use their two on one advantage on Ayres. Despite a close call roll up from Dermott, Ozzie hits his Poison Rana, Flash his senton bomb, and the champions retain.

SEGMENT RATING: 63 

SEGMENT 2: 

1049724018_AlexDeColtKingBison1.jpg.621f30186efe1010dbd27823338a311b.jpg

Matchmaker extraordinaire Alex DeColt is out to tell the crowd that despite his best efforts, he couldn't get tonight's CGC Hall of Fame inductee in the building due to contractual obligations with a major company, which is why he didn't announce it beforehand. However, tonight's In The Company Of Legends is a celebration of the career of two time CGC World Champion Eric Tyler, the teacher of tradition, a north american wrestling legend, someone who shaped the careers of great ment like Dan DaLay and the Soldiers of Fortune, and someone who gave many tough lessons to the DeColt family. He mentions he hopes that there's a reunion of the two men in a CGC ring so that Eric can enjoy his moment more than a small plaque on his mantle that has been mailed...and at that point the sound of chair crushing on Alex's back is heard.

1044253456_JamieAthertonshipshirt.jpg.abfea8344ce46d0af15b066f78b5aa48.jpg

Jamie Atherton is smirking over the boss's fallen body, he gently takes the mic Alex was hanging onto and just says "There's always a DeColt", before dropping the microphone and leaving. 

SEGMENT RATING: 80

MATCH 4: HUGH ANCRIE VS SKIP BEAU (C) FOR THE CGC CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

2067163522_HughAncrieKingBison.jpg.14fdbb20e7cdfffb593c90fea71ada2c.jpg2031153500_CGCCanadian2.jpg.c1cf231d40deb0cca1f6587f85ecd301.jpg46464756_SkipBeauParker_Stiles.jpg.6e48ba73f3de309642991950447657fa.jpg

If it wasn't clear already, it is now. Skip Beau is excellent at getting his opponents out of their comfort zone. Hugh of course is no stranger to hard hitting action, but he couldn't get the lock up he went for as Skip instantly headbutted him and begun an assault on the challenger that looked more like a street fight. To be fair, that's how Jack DeColt used to do it when Marie was in danger, and that's who taught Skip all he knows. Ancrie is a class competitor in his own right though, and he kept finding ways to handle the raging bull, dodging and trying to immobilize him by grabbing the neck and fighting hard for wrist control and waist control. Seeing Skip be German Suplex'd is a sight to behold, and after that moment Hugh knew he's back in it. He checked if any of his teeth were broken and proceeded to kick Skip right into concussion protocol. It was obvious that even three minutes in, the gradual built up of a wrestling match was gone, and both guys were in it to win it as soon as possible. Powerslams, submissions, backbreakers, complicated pin maneuvers, both guys went deep in their bags trying to win by sheer force of doing the most. Skip managed to block the Crying Game with his insane core strength and turn it into a Stampede, but as he went for the Flow Down (DVD), Hugh slipped out of his shoulders and tried Duane Stone's Katahajime, but pulling back just sent Skip into the ropes. With that surprise not in his locker anymore, Hugh tried a high impact elevated DDT, but Skip just countered into the lift for the Wild Ride! Jack DeColt's Whirlwind Slam was all he needed, and just 9:43 in he hit the Flow Down for the win, shocking the heavy favorite!

SEGMENT RATING: 63

MATCH 5: Marc Dubois vs Whippy The Clown 

253948838_MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.9968b9d286afeae3efdbfcbb5aa0419b.jpg VS WhippyTheClownShipshirt2.jpg.ede1deed694594eafa47a4e9babbd7a0.jpg

What do you get when the man that is slowly starting to be dubbed as the saviour of CGC faces off against the man who's the company's MVP for the year? You get by far the match of the year. An absolute technical clinic, where every centimeter of the ring mattered. Whippy's goal in this match seemed to be to make Marc bleed, and it led to some uncomfortable moments but he didn't succeed. Marc on the other hand, wrestled to win, but he also wrestled to prove what needn't be proven; that he's the man, at the top of this company. A changed man, a determined man, a man with the heart of the lion and pride for the craft. Whippy descended into the chaos due to not handling the pressure of being the man, just like Marc did as a young prospect at even the prospect of having that burden. But from the struggles, you get this Dubois. A Dubois who is a triple threat, a brawler, a matwork master and a flyer. Whippy is also that, but he's just solid at all three, the victim of having 10 more years of wrestling on his body. Quibble didn't get involved, he was just observing the action. Whippy didn't cheat other htan a few well placed eye rakes. Perhaps under the antics, the prideful Combatant that was having the run of his life is still there, not lying to himself about how big this challenge was. Sadly for Whippy, he didn't get the response he wanted. The Joke's On You was kicked out of, the Clowning Around countered into a Model Solution (Sharpshooter) and Whippy had no choice but to scream until his pain barrier broke and he tapped out. 

SEGMENT RATING: 68

SEGMENT 3: 

253948838_MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.9968b9d286afeae3efdbfcbb5aa0419b.jpg

Dubois gets his moment to bask in victory, as the clowns retreat. But it's merely a moment. A scream accompanied by the heaviest riff and most chaotic drum breakdown are heard in the arena's PA system, and He comes out. 

1958410106_GargantuanKingBison.jpg.ef30b75d86e30c625c10c1a1d6011b8a.jpg

The Genetically Modified Killing Machine, Gargantuan comes out, with the grin plastered across his face that we haven't seen in so long. He looks at Dubois and sees not only a victim, but a challenge. Marc is tired, but he stands his ground in front of the monster. Gargantuan takes a bow, perhaps showing a rare sign of respec- aaaand he lifts him up. Gorrila Press Slam! Choke Backbreaker! ULTIMATE BACKBREAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Pleased with the havoc he caused and the statement he made, Gargantuan leaves Dubois lying there, unconscious. 

SEGMENT RATING: 60

MATCH 6: INTREPID IAN IDENTITY VS JOEY POISON (C) FOR THE CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

1637160801_AaronKnightParker_Stiles.jpg.1478ab26b9346d2c2cd88d88982d8af8.jpg637806478_CGCWorld.jpg.dc41a65cf319fc7bd097ca36c59827aa.jpg1027260144_JoeyPoisonShipshirt.jpg.546975a3c95cdedea47a3d5ff2ded121.jpg

Ian vs Joey. Upstart vs Veteran. Destiny vs Odds Defied. This could be seen as a classic wrestling tale, but the paths the two men got to arrive to this moment are far from classic. Ian was floundering for his first four years before he decided to grab the bull by the horns and get two title opportunities in six months. He succeeded in the first one and made it to the Wrestlefestival as champion. Joey begun the year as champion but failed in his first defense of the year. Five months later, he has to rectify that failure on one leg, which at this point is less of a challenge as is a reminder of how this is not going to be replicated for him. The run of his career has led him here. Specifically, to being plummeted by Ian's right hands for the first phase of the contest. Ian is at home in the main event, hitting steady offense, showboating and repeat, but Joey knows how to get back up every time. Dodge, spinning wheel kick, neckbreaker, and the tide turns. Joey wants to slow things down, then hit a combo of moves that will stagger Ian and get him winded up and tired early, but it's easier said than done. Ian's power is deceptive, and his counter of the Twisting Cutter into a Northern Lights Suplex a reminder that almost got him the title. About 14 minutes in, Ian hits the Identity Theft but Joey wisely rolls out of the ring. Frustrated for a second, Ian tries to go up to the top rope and hit a crossbody to the outside, but nobody's home! Poison is given extra time to recover, and he uses it. Side Effect, Twisting Cutter for the two count, Antidote's Web Cradle... still not good enough. Feeling victory slip away, Joey tries something unorthodox, and hits Crippler Ray (and Barry's) Kingman's spear, channeling his rival from 4C, but it's sloppy and not good enough. Intrepid Ian Identity has a smile plastered across his face despite having taken continuous damage. He feels like he's starting to outlast Joey, and his combo of clotheslines into the Intrepid Arrow almost does it, but still not quite yet. Change of plans. Irish Whip to the turnbuckle. Punch, grin at the crowd. Get to 10 punches and Spike DDT Joey. 1...2... not yet. Get him in the waist lock, squeeze so it's tough for him to calibrate, go for the German, Joey lands at his feet! He grabs his knee but goes for the schoolboy pin regardless, Ian powers out in shock for how close he came to losing. Joey goes for another Twisting Cutter, but Ian pushes him to the turnbuckle. Punch, taunt the crowd. Punch, taunt the crowd. Punch, tau- Joey pushes him to the mat, goes up to the second rope and hits a leg drop. It hurts both men equally but he goes for the pin regardless...still not enough. He waits for Ian to get up, and as he tries to get him to the Antidote's Web again, Ian pulls the referee's shirt in order not to go down, blocking the move. He gets reprimanded, but the time earnt is worth it, as he hits the Exploder Suplex on Joey Poison, waits for him to get up, and goes for the Identity Thef- Joey grabs his wrist! Ian swings, but Joey's instincts kick in again, and he uses the momentum for the Wrist-Clutch Driver! The move that won him the title! 1...2...3! He's done it! 

SEGMENT RATING: 62 

CGC_InTheCompanyofLegends.jpg.b692ad315bb48e5b758cb8d70b3106f1.jpg

OVERALL RATING: 63

CGC.jpg.f40c48d1cb67cb70b9f53f2530364ac7.jpg

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 619 said:

Another great show. I agreed with the call for the main event, the semi-main delivered as expected, the Jamie Atherton cameo felt like a perfect progression and the Bechdel test line was fun in another intriguing segment.

Canada hit 100 at wrestling importance so it really rushed our progress, the ratings are golden, the wrestlers deliver (Ian carried the main event!) and we've hit a groove. Ultimate Showdown is the season finale so I am treating it as the second most important show, and I had to have Joey go there as champion instead of do him dirty. 

I'm going to go more in depth on how this has gone soon.

• Like 1

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING BACK IN EDMONTON! ROAD TO ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!

In The Company Of Legends was an excellent event, but it created as many questions as it answered: What does Jamie Atherton targeting Alex DeColt mean for his future in the company? Can Marc Dubois withstand Gargantuan, where do the title pictures go from here? This makes the latest edition of Title Bout Wrestling MUST-WATCH, so purchase your tickets today!

Champion Collision

Joey Poison & Skip Beau vs The Canadian Blondes 

Gargantuan vs Lewis Frey

#1 Contender's Match to the CGC Canadian Championship

Ant-Man vs Clause Reed vs Curtis Mobstar vs Hugh Ancrie 

Brett Fraser vs Philippe LeGrenier

Alexander Robinson & Sterling Whitlock vs The Clowns

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 159, Tuesday, Week 4 of June 2018

Well, for the first time there was no harm in me not covering CGC PPV's as no titles changed, and nothing major happen- oh, Alex DeColt got involved physically in a segment? Alex, one of the like 10 guys in the history of the promotion who are also fairly big deals in the USA DeColt? Well I'll be damned. Anyway, CGC is officially pretty good now as we've established the last couple of weeks, so maybe if they stay good for a couple of years they get a TV deal where any person watches their shows instead of getting a recap here and looking up the matches on totally legal sites. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Alex DeColt starts the show. He says that before addressing the elephant in the room, he has a show to run, which is why he announces next week's main event: Blockbuster vs Gargantuan vs Intrepid Ian Identity vs Marc Dubois in a #1 contender's match to the World title: winner goes to Ultimate Showdown! While this is huge, the crowd doesn't even react with the proper fire, eagerly awaiting what he has to say about Atherton... and what he does say is that he is suspended for this week, with the show being in Jamie's hometown. Alex says he gave Jamie this week to think hard. Because he wants Jamie to come out next week in front of these people, in front of DeColt country, and apologize for the dumbest decision of his career, and explain himself and his rationale, and at the end of the day, to be able to look at Alex in the eye so that Alex can tell him he's never wrestling a match ever again, and especially not for a brash upstart who is in way over his head. Which brings him to his main reason for coming out: to call out Adrian Garcia. Adrian, a bit shocked, leaves his headset at the announce table and hesitantly enters the ring. Alex asks Adrian how isn't he tired already. For almost 15 years he has foiled the DeColt family, and he stooped to incredibly dishonorable and sometimes outright criminal lows, but it was always for money and glory. He says he saw Adrian encourage Jamie to target Alex, and he doesn't understand where this thirst for revenge comes from. Adrian says that he obviously never wanted to do this, and when he was asked for advice he merely implied that Jamie should target a top wrestler in the company, which Alex obviously is not. Adrian respects that the Elite lost, and his talents are recognized and he gets a check every week to commentate. If Alex thinks that an opportunist such as Jamie isn't capable of making his own decisions, then he is doomed to either be consistently targeted, or fire one of his most talented wrestlers before he makes money from him. Adrian perhaps relishes his own booking power here, as he gets the mic drop and leaves a perplexed Alex in the ring. 

Segment Rating: 72 

MATCH 1:

Ant-Man vs Clause Reed vs Curtis Mobstar vs Hugh Ancrie. An opinion I've deeply held for a while, after seeing so many matches I booked in DAVE not be as good as I hoped: Four ways are superior to three way matches. You get the same mini singles that can have guys go all out for a couple minutes, but without the odd man out that just annoyingly sits out resting in three way matches. So it's no surprise that this was excellent. These are all good signings who mess well together in simple ways. Reed is good when in the ring with people better than him, and at this point I am comfortable naming Mobstar the underrated workhorse of the company. This was wrestled at a frantic pace but didn't have any of those convoluted tower of doom or triple team spots. Can't really get into detail describing it but it really stole the show. Ancrie got Reed in the Crying Game and got the win and his second straight title shot in an excellent match.

Segment Rating: 63 

SEGMENT 2:

Hugh immediately calls out Skip who was on commentary but I didn't mention during the match. He gives Skip props for his "gutsy" win at In The Company Of Legends, a win he's not interesting in minimizing. However, he has a second shot he doesn't intend in letting slip, and he believes his sentiment about the Canadian title being a faceless championship rings true. So he went to a pissed off and hurt Alex DeColt, and proposed a stipulation: Whoever gets the Canadian Championship at Ultimate Showdown  will decide on a special gimmick that accompanies the title, and the match itself at the PPV will be special, despite the fact he would love to get revenge on equal grounds to the first match. Skip just lifts his championship up and stares at Hugh, perhaps starting to be tired at being seen as a guy that just pulls out victories instead of a great wrestler. 

Segment Rating: 55

MATCH 2: 

Brett Fraser vs Philippe LeGrenier. This was a classic match we've seen hundreds of times even in just CGC. Veteran roughing up arrogant pretty boy. This was fine for about 8 minutes, until Drake Young got involved and Philippe got the win by rolling up Brett with a handful of tights.

Segment Rating: 44

MATCH 3: 

Alexander Robinson & Sterling Whitlock vs Quibble The Clown & Whippy The Clown. I think this is an unofficial #1 contender's match but it wasn't made clear during the broadcast. Regardless, it was a blast. Quibble was allowed to shine in the tag space with Whippy playing more chickenshit heel getting chopped by Sterling and Robinson whenever he came in, which is an interesting dynamic considering Quibble's deal is short term. Regardless, Quibble cooking was their downfall, as he stopped the clown antics to showboat for a second and that allowed Robinson to get Whitlock in with the hot tag, at which point the barrage of offense led to a Whitlock's End (Vertical Spike) for the win. 

MATCH 4:

Gargantuan vs Lewis Frey. Not much to say about that one, it was a squash. Good to see the guy back though, I get that they don't want him losing and there weren't many babyfaces that can take losses, but I don't know whether that means Dubois will ever lose a match while they feud. Anyway, you know what happened. 

Segment Rating: 45

SEGMENT 3:

Marc Dubois is backstage with Jenny Playmate, his ribs taped up, his posture messed up, and he's essentially being asked to react to Gargantuan's assault on him and his impressive in ring return. Which leads to Marc's most fired up old-school promo in his career. Talking about Gargantuan having no pride attacking a man like that, about settling it in the ring, implying Gargantuan is the physical manifestation of his mental struggles throughout the years, and that whether at 100%, 70%, 1%, at Ultimate Showdown Dubois will give Gargantuan hell because he doesn't back down from the ultimate fight no matter what. He interprets Gargantuan's attack as a challenge, and this is his official acceptance. Says Gargantuan knows where to find him to negotiate the minutiae, perhaps after he's won the title at Ultimate Showdown, and leaves pissed off. 

Segment Rating: 71 

MATCH 5: 

Joey Poison & Skip Beau vs The Canadian Blondes. An interesting dynamic as the year begun with the Canadian Blondes being pissed off about Joey Poison holding the tag team championships while not being a real tag team wrestler. They put on a barn stormer of a match, very southern with the Blondes channeling their inner Black Hats by having that perfect balance between cutting off the ring and feeling like any second things will go completely wrong and they'll instantly lose the match. CGC's tag team match of the year in my opinion. A lot of cool exchanges, and when Joey got Skip in with the hot tag the crowd actually erupted like they're supposed to. Skip wrecked everything on his way, hit the Flow Down on Flash, and Ozzie flew with a Springboard Headbutt to break up the pin at the last possible moment, then when Joey joined in for the pre-finish brawl some classic shenanigans left to a ref bump and stereo low blows, and Flash hitting a 450 degree splash on Skip for the win.

Overall Rating: 66 

Edited by AboardTheArk

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING IN CALGARY FOR TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT! STACKED CARD FOR THIS SUNDAY!

#1 Contender's Match to the CGC World Championship

Blockbuster vs Gargantuan vs Intrepid Ian Identity vs Marc Dubois 

CGC Canadian Championship Match

Flash vs Skip Beau (C)

Faith's New Client vs Chucky Dorrance

Alexander Robinson & Sterling Whitlock vs The Montreal Mafia

Drake Young vs Stevie Grayson 

• 2 weeks later...

VIBERT'S VOICE - EP. 160, Tuesday, Week 1 of July 2018

Half a year of this! I had forgotten that it used to be a chore. I realize my ratings have just been solid, but you gotta understand that it's the value of rooting for the underdog. I'd rather watch a 65 rated CGC match than a 73 rated NOTBPW match, and that's words I live by. Having said that, this week reminded me why this segment was a chore, as they stumbled a bit in this one.

MATCH 1: 

Alexander Robinson & Sterling Whitlock vs The Montreal Mafia. They have experimented a bit with face vs face this year more than usual (even if they did a lot of DeColt vs DeColt in multi-mans in their golden age), and it has mostly worked. This was the time to make Sterling a star and he delivered, battering the two underdogs continuously as they helped him look like a megastar. Wrestling is simple to be honest. Robinson tagged in to give the Mafia the chance to show off their offense, and one hot tag and Whitlock's End later, Robinson & Whitlock were the de facto #1 contenders for Ultimate Showdown. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Alex DeColt calls Jamie Atherton out, wanting him to apologize for his attack at In The Company Of Legends, imploring him that it's what will save his job. Says he hopes the suspension let Jamie reflect and prepare an apology that isn't Youtuber level. But when Jamie Atherton's music hits and he joins his boss in the ring, he's angry and determined to 1. prove his attack wasn't orchestrated 2. get a match with Alex DeColt. He retorts that Alex retired in his prime in order to run the company and therefore has more matches in him, and it makes sense to headline Ultimate Showdown against the greatest newcomer in CGC. He says that he can put his job on the line at Ultimate Showdown against Alex DeColt, and that he can make his own choices and live with them. Alex is not convinced, and says he does not want to sanction a match against Jamie because it would reward unprofessionalism and he reiterates his retirement, but that's when Jamie hits him with a devastating remark- "a match against me would help you save your reputation. You already tarnish the legacy of your dead father by almost putting his company out of business, maybe all you have to give is in the ring". Alex attempts to murder Jamie, practically choking him out with his bare hands and the microphone, until security comes in and saves Atherton. 

Segment Rating: 78

MATCH 2: 

Drake Young vs Stevie Grayson. Not much to say, Drake wins after interference vis Philippe LeGrenier. 

Segment Rating: 38

MATCH 3: 

Chucky Dorrance faces Faith's newest client... Robin DaLay! The young big man, son of CGC legend Dan DaLay had enrolled in RIPW after his training at the DeColt Power House, with rumors persisting it was because CGC was a shitshow and he didn't want to ruin his chances at stardom before his career even began, so clearly him coming back is a sign of the change in fortunes of the company and great to see. The match itself was nothing good however, presumably mostly because the crowd was dumbfounded to see DaLay's son not be a cheating bully.

Segment Rating: 34

SEGMENT 2: 

Faith introduces Robin as her new client to a mixed reaction from the crowd, and he gives a bit of a dumb jock promo to give his first verbal impression (which is...shockingly solid, at least compared to his dad at the same age). Not much to say other than he hit his time and really pushed the fact that he's CGC born and bred. 

Segment Rating: 43

MATCH 4:

Flash vs Skip Beau for the CGC Canadian Championship. In a murderous 10 minute sprint Flash carried Skip to his best career match yet, and this was built in a way to really highlight the differences of singles vs tag team matches. Flash constantly seemed like he was building upon offense but he didn't have the operating room he wanted, or the time to develop, while Skip was unforgiving and honestly planted the cruiserweight on his head a bit too many times for comfort. Flash tried to hit the Crucifix Pin but a supreme display of power from Skip transitioned it into the Flow Down for the win!

Segment Rating: 65

SEGMENT 3: 

Hugh Ancrie comes out, to passive aggressively congratulate Skip and to pat himself on the back and to announce the fate of the Canadian Championship: Whoever wins the match will pick the stipulation accompanying most/all future Canadian Championship matches. However, as they already faced in regular rules once, he has been authorised to add a stipulation to the Ultimate Showdown contest. And that will be a Classic Canadian Catch rules match! Stacking the odds against Skip, this will be a match all about points and time limits. Skip is too consumed by adrenaline to worry, and just tells Hugh it's on. 

MATCH 5:

Blockbuster vs Gargantuan vs Intrepid Ian Identity vs Marc Dubois. A chaotic brawl for about 10 minutes, until everyone realized what they should do: kill Dubois. They proceeded to take turns brutalizing him, hitting finishers, throwing him on the steel steps, the barricade, and finally triple powerbombing him through the French Canadian announce table. The EMTs come out to stretcher Dubois off, and the match is called a no contest. 

SEGMENT 4: 

Joey Poison appears on the GoldTron to announce the match is to be restarted after berating the heels for their cowardice. 

Segment Rating: 57

MATCH 6: 

The three remaining wrestlers had a very intense match, with of all people Blockbuster more often playing face, saving Ian from being killed by Gargantuan a couple of times and also being shown as someone who can kind of sort of manhandle Gargantuan. I can't go in depth on the spots since it wasn't pretty or flowed perfectly, but it was perfectly servicable. Gargantuan had Ian up on the Torture Rack, at which point Blockbuster kicked him in the nuts and hit a devastating BusterBomb on the turnbuckles to the genetically modified monster that almost removed the whole ring post. Gloating at the carnage he caused, he got caught by the Japanese Cyclone Suplex from Ian and he kicked out at 3.1, which wasn't enough. 

SEGMENT 5: 

Ian takes a microphone. He says that Joey got lucky. That Poison Driver is devastating, but he can only keep an opponent down for 3 seconds. A real champion can and will do more than that. A real champion is the one that leaves the biggest event of the summer as the Last Man Standing. 

Overall Rating: 55

OOC: 6 MONTHS IN SAVE UPDATE

So. Took me a little over three months to book half a year. Not bad, I am happy with this result. I am happy with the quality of writing on average, there's been few shows where I've kinda faltered (and I use "said" too much), but otherwise I think it's been better as the diary has progressed. By the way, I'm keeping the good presentation for PPV's.  

On the booking side, there's real pros and cons. I think I've not done anything too nonsensical and completely dumb yet, I think I responded positively on the early injury crisis, and the two homegrown guys Skip and Ian have done very well for themselves, which is the only important thing given that they're the biggest assets. The Whippy vs Joey feud got a really positive reaction on here as well which I am happy about. 

On the other hand, it's been half a year of booking and you all can probably see my patterns in feud building. A lot of tag team matches, a couple of them even have been repeat combinations, filler matches that lead to a promo to "make sure" a program gets 20+ minutes of screentime. I have thought about it a lot and other than the fact I am not the most creative booker, I think the issue is that we have to book 120 minutes, while two hour wrestling shows actually only have about 105 minutes of content due to ads and entrances etc. Obviously that won't mean I am changing the runtime of the show, because it's clear in-universe that the reason it hasn't already happened is Alex DeColt's pride. 

Another issue I think is that I have only delivered one hot feud which was Joey vs Whippy, something I will try to improve on now that Dubois is here to carry the company. The weird fuck finish of the last show is the result of him having creative control and I was very displeased about it, couldn't go half a year without nonsense.

Title reigns have gone solidly I think, maybe The Montreal Mafia could have kept the tag titles longer. A complaint of mine to myself was that I booked the early months very much like an old-school minded wrestling promotion. I've tried to add a bit more humor to things and some entertainment sensibilities since April started. Of course, I will never be able to do these things like Self who is mr. CGC, and I know it. Which is why I didn't copy his PPV gimmicks (well, his Last Man Standing Rumble idea is too great not to keep), but I have and probably will keep throwing a couple references to that canon. 

Big part of this whole thing: The signings. There's been a lot of them! The roster we inherit is terrible and a lot of people are miserable so it's to be expected. Not everyone who has come in has done something important, but I think other than Thunder & Lightning they have justified their existence, and Thunder & Lightning if this save goes on for a while will become major players eventually, it's a matter of there aren't many people to lose to them right now. Mobstar has done great as the second guy who hasn't got time to shine but rather loses to anyone with any ounce of credibility. Dubois and Ancrie are save-changing, DaLay will become a very featured part of the shows, and there's more coming! 

Some Info Dumping: 

-We have a balance of 544K dollars. Big boss Alex DeColt and Marc Dubois are on exclusives, everyone else on a handshake. We lose less money every month, which means we won't get in debt (if at all) till we're well into 2019 which is good for the longevity of the diary. 

-There was an owner goal to not fall below #20 in the company rankings, we have already failed it but it will not trigger till like February 2020 so we're good, we could be in a full blown rennaissaance period for all we know. 

-I am still floating the idea of a women's division, but 1) I want a real star signing to headline it if I do it since most everyone else will be a nobody 2) due to time constrains it will mean quite a downsizing of the men's roster, I am not getting a second TV show for a company that isn't at the very least medium.

-Speaking of, we have gone from 40 popularity to 48, the move from graveyard to afternoon has majorly helped our pop gains, and I hope at some point soon I can move the PPV's to a more favourable time slot. We hit 100 importance in wrestling industry which also accelerated our gain in crowds and merch money and I am grateful for it. 

-I have made Dubois the figurehead despite the fact he "only" checks two boxes, to reflect what his position will really be in the company. If it sinks us, so be it. 

There's probably more thoughts that I've missed, I wanted to make this post for a while even if it ended up being too rambly and not coordinated enough. 

What about you guys? This is your big chance to tell me what I'm doing well or terribly! What would you like to see more of in the coming months? Do you even care? And what are your favorite and least favorite members of the roster as currently presented?

As always, thank you all for reading so far, I am grateful because this has kept me honest and it's by far the most consistently serious save I've booked, no filler weeks.

I love this dynasty a lot, i find reading about the save a lot of fun and really enjoy the storylines, especially when you go into detail on the promos! The comedy is really good, too, when you try that. Overall I think you should just stay the course and trust your gut, if you feel like a storyline might be hot or fun to read just go for it, we're here and along for the ride! Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Thank you both for the kind words and good points! A roster overview might indeed be overdue with how many roster changes I've made, so one will be coming right after ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!

CGC HITS WINNIPEG FOR A DOUBLE HEADER! TITLE BOUT WRESTLING THIS WEEK AND THE NEXT!

Alexander Robinson vs Flash

Ozzie Golden vs Sterling Whitlock

Nathan Black vs Skip Beau

The Clownshow vs Gopher & The Ant 

Dan DaLay & Robin DaLay (w/Faith) vs Thunder and Lightning

• 3 weeks later...

VIBERT'S VOICE - EP. 161, Tuesday, Week 2 of July 2018

And we're back with another week of covering CGC! I think they bounced back well from last week's shenanigans and the Winnipeg crowd was quite hot for the segments we got, so let's take a detailed look, as per usual. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Intrepid Ian Identity opens the show with a very fiery promo. He goes over the now usual material for him about Ultimate Showdown being huge in order for him to fulfill his destiny and how Joey Poison can't do anything at this point but get lucky for three seconds. But he adds the dimensions of how this company had been dying because they're wasting the DeColt Powerhouse graduates without giving enough opportunities, and how Ian getting the title will be the first success of the establishment since Dan DaLay. He talks about him learning from the mistakes of the DeColt's and being the man to steer the company forward instead of relying on veterans and outsiders to carry the title scene. Guys like him, Blockbuster, Karson, Atherton are the future, and despite the fact people like Joey Poison, he's only holding the natural course of events back. This was a fine to good promo, hit the points it should have, but it's also the most well received an Ian solo promo has been which is great news.

Segment Rating: 61 

MATCH 1: 

Nathan Black vs Skip Beau. Hugh Ancrie was on guest commentary, his job essentially to fill people in on what the Canadian Catch match rules are: Wrestlers start with 3 points. Rope Break or exiting the ring on purpose costs one point, pinfalls cost the opponent one point, knock outs or submissions are instant wins. Disqualifications cost one point and other than the usual, first strikes count as DQ. Essentially, the technicians have a huge advantage due to scoring and the fact that Skip can't rely on his preferred striking method, and we see it in this match. Skip wants to practice and it kind of gets him out of his rhythm, allowing Nathan Black to make his life tougher than it usually would have been. Regardless, a Flow Down gets the job done. 

SEGMENT 2: 

Jamie Atherton enters the office of the boss, Alex DeColt, accompanied by a lawyer holding a briefcase and wearing a neck brace. Jamie says that he has a proposal for Alex. After last week's incident, it's clear that the animosity between them has to be resolved, and he knows Alex cannot afford to fire him. But considering Alex doesn't want to come out of retirement, he has crafted a special contract. At Ultimate Showdown, these two have an Unsanctioned Match. It does not count in the win/loss records, there is no rules other than "don't murder the other guy" so that Alex doesn't have to worry about ring rust. Jamie can't sue if he gets his ass kicked by his boss. But, there needs to be a wager. Jamie says that if he wins, then Alex DeColt is FORCED to come out of retirement for one regular match against him. If Alex wins, he's the boss, he can choose whatever he likes. Maybe fire Jamie without compensation, who knows. Alex DeColt knows there's too much on the line, but the adrenaline of last week has him considering it. "Anything?" he says. Jamie nods. The contract is signed. 

Segment Rating: 76

MATCH 2: 

Clownshow vs Gopher and the Ant. A match that absolutely ruled, another remined that Quibble is one of the best cruiserweights in Canada as he wrestled circles around his very good co-stars. A frentic match with many switches that showed all combinations get a quick run, it ended up with Quibble missing out on a Dominator as Topher Smith countered it into a DDT, then hit a Honda Driver for the shocking win!

MATCH 3: 

Alexander Robinson vs Flash. A match for the purists, the sickos and the nerds. Very fundamental work, even Flash's cheating was way more subtle than usual. They worked around Robinson not wanting to run in a singles match at this point of his career and made it all about Flash either getting thrown around by him or having intricate mat sequences, at times looking almost realistic with how they scrapped. Very much not the match for the CGC fanbase but a nice change of pace. A very nice ending as well, as Flash dodged the Canadian Violence and got Robinson in his rarely used Canadian Cradle for the three count.

Segment Rating: 59

SEGMENT 3: 

Marc Dubois addresses his failure last week, how his opponents ganged up on him to cost him a huge opportunity at the biggest show of the year. But what he is intrigued by is the attention he's gotten from Gargantuan. The monster had been away from months before first attacking him, then costing him the title shot and afterwards immediately failing to capitalize on his own. He said before that he is fine with facing him at Ultimate Showdown, he'll say it again. It's a big challenge and an opportunity for a historic victory against a match who doesn't lose often. But what he wants to know, is wh- aaaaand he's attacked again by Gargantuan, a beatdown that spans the entire stage before the security guards get plentiful enough that it matters. A bit repetitive considering how many the attacks have been on Dubois since he's arrived, but the crowd bought it so I won't penalize it too much.

Segment Rating: 56

MATCH 4: 

DaLay & DaLay vs Thunder & Lightning. It's a shame to see Thunder & Lightning relegated to jobbers, to cannon fodder, and this was all about the DaLay family. Dan is trying the whole match to teach his son how to bully his opponents, stay in control by any means necessary, and take his time winning the match. But Robin, in complete defiance to tradition, is just a good wrestler beating the indy darlings up with dynamic big man offense, and really getting his shit in to look good. This contrast didn't quite work as far as a great match goes, but it was fine. Robin won with a Deadlift Powerbomb on Thunder. 

SEGMENT 4: 

They kind of put the story of the match into words, which sometimes isn't ideal. This segment was about Dan saying how happy he is to see Robin back home, but he doesn't know why "college" (a reference to the Supreme Wrestling University) changed him and his habits so much. He shouldn't forget where he comes from and how his papa looks out for him. Robin responds with saying as much as he loves him, Dan shouldn't try to make him a carbon copy, because he will never achieve it. Says an exhibition at Ultimate Showdown about how far he's come on his own is in order, and Dan's face lights up.

Segment Rating: 48

MATCH 5: 

Ozzie Golden vs Sterling Whitlock. This was the chance to see these guys work the classic CGC main event formula of the face getting shine then being cut off at every corner, and they nailed it. Perhaps not the best use of Sterling's innate dynamism, but it was by far the most compelling match on the show due to their chemistry and the crowd really excited to see a main event match. Ozzie got a couple close calls in with his Gold Standard brainbuster, but he couldn't quite connect with the Golden Shower and it majorly cost him as a huge lariat and a Whitlock's End sealed his fate. Sterling Whitlock's lariat is quickly becoming my favorite weapon in the company. 

Segment Rating: 65

Overall Rating: 66

OOC: University work and seasonal depression were kicking my ass, but I think I am back for more good stuff! Ultimate Showdown is very close and a new season of CGC will begin after the next two shows!