CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

Blockbuster vs Sterling Whitlock - went toe-to-toe with Gargy

Frankie Dee vs Skip Beau - Seems to be on more of an upward trajectory

Ian DeColt vs Teddy Thompson - See above

Killer Karson vs Sean McFly - It's Sean McFly

#1 Contenders Triple Threat to the CGC World Tag Team Championships

Generation Z vs Thunder & Lightning vs Tough and Glorious - Personal preference

• Like 1

Love a good rumble, great show. III as Ian DeColt is a really cool way of keeping the DeColt's as active participants in CGC, and you really have to have at least one. Not very familiar with the mod, but enjoying what I've read of this so far. Looking forward to following going forwards.

Blockbuster vs Sterling Whitlock - poor Blockbuster, hope he surprises me

Frankie Dee vs Skip Beau - Dee/McFly sounded awesome, hope he gets rewarded.

Ian DeColt vs Teddy Thompson - DeColt, it's CGC.

Killer Karson vs Sean McFly - Always loved Sean, based on the Dee rating he can't be in enough decline that he's not one of the best workers you've got

#1 Contenders Triple Threat to the CGC World Tag Team Championships

Generation Z vs Thunder & Lightning vs Tough and Glorious - Maybe Tough & Glorious win given the finish of their last shot. If they win I think they'll get the belts, but I don't think they'll get the belts so Thunder & Lightning.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the attention and participation! Hope you enjoy and keep enjoying what's on offer. 

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 171, Tuesday, Week 4 of September 2018

Off of the undeniable success of the Last Man Standing PPV, all the...rumbles I'm hearing out of CGC are those of strife! Apparently there's a huge disagreement between DeColt and Garcia over the plans for the last three months of the year heading to the build for the 2019 Wrestlefestival. Not one that would jeopardize their working relationship, at least as it has been described so far. 

SEGMENT 1: 

We see Adrian Garcia with the Golden Elite in the CGC Parking Lot, where he is unveiling a gift for them to repay them for doing such a good job the past few months and also Jamie using his wish on him: a luxury bus to carry them from show to show! If one looks closely, it will see a hastily added "Golden" to The Elite logo. He says he's working on their next sponsorship deals that will be finalized in the next few weeks. We get shots of the guys enjoying their new amenities that are actually like, a pretty cheap coffee making machine and some colorful lights, and we move on to the show proper. 

Segment Rating: 57 

MATCH 1: 

Frankie Dee vs Skip Beau opens the show with a long ass match designed to fill time, which it does effectively. It's interesting that they chose Dee for these two spots, facing Sean McFly and Skip Beau who has been very protected this year (literally only got pinned last friday). There are no rumors about him leaving 4C or them looking to add more people to the roster at this point, and this is a pretty big spotlight he's gotten. I saw a lot of fans wanting Frankie to win this so these two can face off for the title at Apocalypse which is a good idea. What we got however was them not saving anything for a rematch and just building a CGC style match out of the danger of Dee's strikes against Skip's incredible resilience. Frankie almost got the knockout with a bicycle knee strike but Skip barely got up, blocked the Dragon Suplex and stabilized to get to the Flow Down and the win. Skip Beau advances after a really solid match that would be better if Frankie Dee was more over in Vancouver. 

Segment Rating: 58 

SEGMENT 2: 

Jenny Playmate interviews Skip after the match, where he gives props to Frankie Dee and says he hopes to wrestle him again some day. Skip mentions wanting to win the Memorial Cup as a statement of intent from him and the Power House Army, to show that the future of CGC is homegrown. Jenny asks him how he feels about a potential rematch against Ian DeColt in the next round, to which he responds that the world title would be a nice bonus in all of this. 

Segment Rating: 62 

MATCH 2: 

Generation Z vs Thunder & Lightning vs Tough and Glorious. I never believed there was anyone but one winner in this match which hurt it. As much as it's nice to see more of the youngsters, they're still a bit too green, and Tough and Glorious weren't going to challenge three straight PPVs without winning- I don't think The Golden Elite is losing the titles for a while. The match itself was solid, and Lightning pinned Alyx Winters after a double dropkick from Thunder and Lightning, with Tough and Glorious mostly staying protected and resting after their PPV match. 

Segment Rating: 48 

MATCH 3: 

Blockbuster vs Sterling Whitlock. I want to address an issue. They clearly don't know if they have something they can trust in Blockbuster. They give him big wins, then do nothing with him (although feeding him to Dubois is justifiable completely in my opinion) and he feels stuck in no man's land this year. Even this match with Whitlock, which was one of his best of the year, was nothing special, just a nice sight to see because they actually let him brawl rather than be a plodding giant. Going all out for 10 minutes is impressive for a man of his size, but this wasn't about him. Whitlcok broke him with a series of lariats and the Whitlock's End to cap things off. 

Segment Rating: 50 

SEGMENT 3: 

Slimy, no-good Adrian Garcia is scouring the backstage area, looking for something- or someone. He stumbles upon Dapper Danny Draper, and he expresses his admiration for how he ditched the deadweight of Chucky Dorrance in the most impressive way at the biggest possible stage. He says that he's clearly Golden Elite material, and extends an invitation to the faction, which Danny wholeheartedly accepts. 

Segment Rating: 48 

MATCH 4: 

Killer Karson vs Sean McFly. Not nearly as good as the Frankie Dee match but have to remember this is Killer Karson's 18th career match and really, other than selling he's decent at everything at the very least and a charismatic presence. Sean managed to carry him to the match of the show by keeping him in control and also using Karson's innate athleticism to make him take some nasty bumps in the finishing stretch. As the match progressed, Karson just seemed slightly less able to keep up, and that's when the Delorean Driver put him away. 

SEGMENT 4: 

Hugh Ancrie is in an undisclosed area, cutting a promo. He says that next week he's facing Mark Griffin. A man that was his senior at the House of Stone, and yet someone who has been a lot less successful than him, because he's just a good wrestler, not an absolute superstar like him. Ancrie promises to make him tap out in the middle of the ring at next week's show, just like he made Jamie Atherton look like a fool (can't say bitch at 4 in the afternoon on live TV!) at Last Man Standing. This was surprisingly fiery, Ancrie is an underrated promo. I thought that at NOTBPW too, but their angles are usually way too short there to really tell, a good script can make it work there.

Segment Rating: 66

MATCH 5: 

Ian DeColt vs Teddy Thompson was never going to be a great match, it was just a political move to have their champ main event over the outsider or the upper-midcard acts in probably better matches. This wasn't terrible even if it's way too early for Teddy Thompson, a guy I wouldn't be surprised to see in one of the major Canadian promotions in the future as he looks like a Hollywood megastar and has the credentials to instantly validate him. And this was the idea here, with Thompson dominating DeColt for big stretches doing essentially an abridged version of the main event formula, before he's caught into the Wild Ride, then the DeColt Driver, kicking out of both finishers to only lose to the Identity Theft. 

Segment Rating: 47

SEGMENT 5: 

Ian DeColt ends the show saying that this is his house, his year, and he's not going to let any invaders into DeColt Country. He can only meet Sean McFly in the final, but he promises to vanquish him once and for all because that's what he is supposed to do, and he has proven all doubters wrong. The crowd showers him with boos every time he uses a DeColt brother catchphrase.

Segment Rating: 68 

Overall Rating: 55 

• Like 3

There was lots to like here as always. I enjoyed the tease of backstage DeColt-Garcia tension (life imitating art), Skip Beau getting an important win and the fun dynamic of the fans not accepting Ian as a DeColt.

It's cool how you drip your own booking analysis into the report: why Thunder and Lightning had to win, the uncertainty over Blockbuster, etc.

I thought this show also did a good job of establishing why Atherton judged it worthwhile to use his wish on Garcia: both the material stuff with the bus but also recruiting a new member.

Finally, I love details like Ancrie calling Atherton a fool rather than something stronger because of the timeslot. I feel like this attention to detail really brings it to life.

• Like 2

Great show, enjoying the fake DeColt brother stuff more and more.

Dan DaLay vs Greg Black - I suppose a loss would hurt Dan more, but I hope I'm wrong.

Bradford Peverell vs Gargantuan - CGC needs some massively over massive people, build Gargantuan

Chucky Dorrance and Thunder & Lightning vs Dapper Danny Draper & The Canadian Blondes - Win for the tag title challengers ahead of their eventual loss

Marc Dubois vs Robin DaLay - Marc's great, just give him the edge here

Hugh Ancrie vs Marc Griffin - Don't know much about them, coin toss

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 172, Tuesday, Week 1 of October 2018

In other news, South Of The Border crowned a new Campeon Mundial last night at their TV show, with Dr Rudo defeating Amazing Fire Fly, El Leon and Pablo Rodriguez for the belt, ending El Leon's legendary 630-day that established this secondary world title of this behemoth company, in what I begrudgingly have to admit is a 5 star classic in terms of workrate and genuinely getting everyone to bite on multiple finishes. 

In other news, another solid if predictable week of TV was delivered from CGC! 

SEGMENT 1: 

The show opens on location in the Golden Elite party bus, where everyone is getting acquainted with the new member, Dapper Danny Draper. They all welcome him and give him a piece of advice, whether it be how to keep his hair looking great, his abc's (always be cheating), or to get a name change to signal this new era. "Go by Dan Draper, you know, like that guy, from that show" are the exact words, and that's what happens. Also they make a note of mentioning that Adrian Garcia will be in the Canadian Blondes' corner in all future matches while Jamie will have Heather (and sometimes Garcia providing guest commentary). 

Segment Rating: 63 

MATCH 1: 

Hugh Ancrie vs Mark Griffin. A very heated, grappling focused technical masterclass that sadly didn't work with this casual crowd and I have to dock points for that, because usually true greatness shines through. I did like this however, they both worked great and focused on the right things, with Ancrie going for Griffin's neck while Griffin attacked the right arm. We also got a great finish, with Griffin locking Ancrie in the Crying Game dragon sleeper and Ancrie managing to reverse it into a pin for the win, but then being super pissed he didn't make his opponent tap out like he promised.

MATCH 2: 

Golden Elite vs Chucky Dorrance and Thunder & Lightning. A breather for the crowd with some familliar lowkey action, this was used to further build up T&L as a threat to the tag titles while also having Dan Draper beat the crap out of Chucky D to get even more heat out of that split. Thunder rolled Flash up for the win and they ran away before being attacked by the stable. I do have to question the Elite losing the first match with the new member but it's nothing they can't shake off.

Segment Rating: 53

SEGMENT 2: 

Ian DeColt is backstage getting interviewed by Jenny Playmate. He says that getting another opportunity to put Skip Beau in his place is great, but he has his sights set on loftier goals. He talks of going through Skip, Dubois and McFly to win the George DeColt Memorial Cup and cementing his legacy as the greatest DeColt, the greatest wrestler in the history of CGC at least in terms of single year accomplishments. Jenny questions if he can get that done, and he gives her a DeColt Guarantee because on God, those are the catchphrases. 

Segment Rating: 70

MATCH 3: 

Bradford Peverell vs Gargantuan. The issue with Bradford Peverell is that no one in Canada watches Puerto Rican wrestling. Having said that, he had a cute match with Gargantuan centered around the psychology of his Knock Out left hook vs the unstoppable monster. Gargantuan almost sells for him! But at the end of the day it's not a hot match and that's what required in this more storytelling affair. One Ultimate Backbreaker later, the match is over. 

Segment Rating: 49 

MATCH 4: 

Dan DaLay vs Greg Black. PSW legend, CZCW savior and SWF midcarder Greg Black is definitely one of the most highly praised acts of the last ten years that hasn't won a singles title in the big 3 of the US companies. And he made Dan DaLay look good! Over 15 minutes he bumped and clawed back and made this match surprisingly good. Of course, Dan is a pro but his body has started to fail him. Nevertheless, he played the hits and won via backfist, ending Greg Black's CGC run in two matches and three weeks. 

Segment Rating: 60

SEGMENT 3: 

Dan gets a microphone after the match and just says "Sean McFly, you're next". This might have been someone's dream match in 2010 honestly.

Segment Rating: 40

SEGMENT 4: 

Right before the main event, Faith tries to calm Robin DaLay's nerves before facing Marc Dubois with a pep talk, toeing the line between drill sergeant and coach Carter. It's cute but it's not much. 

MATCH 5: 

Marc Dubois vs Robin DaLay. Marc was excellent here, guiding young Robin through the by far best match of his career. A ring general performance, he took a lot of hurtful looking bumps with the action centered around Robin's incredible strength. Not much else to say since this wasn't unpredictable per say, just props to the two men for going out and delivering. A Mark of Excellence ended things, and this was match of the night.

SEGMENT 5: 

Hugh Ancrie comes out after the match to congratulate Dubois and remind him that next week they're facing off in the quarter finals. Dubois challenges to come get some instead of waiting for next week, to which Ancrie responds by getting in the ring and telling him in his face that he doesn't want the smoke, having just wrestled. He smirks in Dubois' face and goes to leave, but takes the Skull Crusher, paying for turning his back on the Comeback Kid. 

Segment Rating: 70 

Overall Rating: 63

Card for next week's show: The Quarter Finals 

Hugh Ancrie vs Marc Dubois 

Gargantuan vs Sterling Whitlock

Dan DaLay vs Sean McFly 

Ian DeColt vs Skip Beau

• Like 1

Hugh Ancrie vs Marc Dubois - Dubois is great, keep going Marc.

Gargantuan vs Sterling Whitlock - conflicted on this one, but let's go with Whitlock continuing his giant killing.

Dan DaLay vs Sean McFly - It's Sean

Ian DeColt vs Skip Beau - It's a 'DeColt' in CGC.

• Like 1

Hugh Ancrie vs Marc Dubois Just way better all round than Ancrie

Gargantuan vs Sterling Whitlock Sterling will put up a good fight but Gargy takes this

Dan DaLay vs Sean McFly Whether it's 2010-2015-2015-2018-2020 data, it's Sean McFly

Ian DeColt vs Skip Beau - Could be wrong here but Ian's the most intriguing character you've got IMO she doesn't lose this early on

• Like 1

It looks like you picked the perfect running order with the hottest match as the main event and then managing to follow it again with an even hotter angle. I guess having the Golden Elite loss hidden quite early might help them with the shaking it off you mentioned too.

I always love the little details like Hugh Ancrie still not being satisfied even in victory because it wasn't a submission.

Sorry to hear Dan DaLay is in decline so soon after Joey and Whippy, but it doesn't seem to be affecting his ratings much yet.

The quarter-final line-up again shows how stacked the top of the card is right now, and that's without factoring in Atherton, Joey, Whippy and Alex DeColt.

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 163, Tuesday, Week 1 of October 2018

Well, considering the bracket wasn't quite announced beforehand in completion, CGC's biggest TV show of the year in terms of a stacked card came a little abruptly. And the results were mixed to say the least. 

MATCH 1: 

We open with Ian DeColt vs Skip Beau. There's a discussion on card placement here that this time I don't care enough to have since it's a rematch from three weeks ago. The match was similar to the PPV one, and accompanied by a pretty bad commentary performance, with the biggest difference being the finish. Skip Beau has Ian up for the death valley driver, the struggle leads to a ref bump, and Whippy The Clown comes in whooping Skip's ass with fervor. All Ian has to do is hit the Identity Theft for the win and a ticket to the semi finals.

Segment Rating: 53 

SEGMENT 1: 

We go backstage where we get an interview of Marc Dubois by Jenny Playmate. There's not much of note happening, it's a funny bit where Jenny is asking clearly loaded questions because she's rooted for Ancrie and Dubois does his best to not make any inflamatory comments and put over the match as a big challenge. A wrestling interview with some mild character quirks.

Segment Rating: 67 

SEGMENT 2: 

Heading back to the ring, we see Atherton and Draper absolutely bullying Chucky D, in what is apparently a "mental health exercise" for Draper by the Golden Elite. Atherton mostly makes fun of Dorrance for looking like a dork, then makes Draper berate him for holding him back and stuff. It doesn't take a while for it to be seen as what it is, an excuse to beat the life out of him, but instantly Alexander Robinson and Lewis Frey make the save and challenge them to a tag team match at Apocalypse. This was...not a trainwreck but it would have worked more if everyone involved was at least important. 

Segment Rating: 46 

MATCH 2: 

Hugh Ancrie vs Marc Dubois. One of those matches you'd hope to hinge the hopes of the company on, but this one didn't quite go as you'd hope. Ancire and Dubois just want to... do different things with their grappling. And this styles clash was awkward, and this being the longest match on the show didn't help. Ancrie dominated a big part of the match with Dubois showcasing his athleticism in short spurts of comebacks, until Ancrie was about to hit the Crying Game but Dubois reversed into a Victory Roll and advanced.

SEGMENT 3: 

Whippy The Clown is in an undisclosed backstage area that looks like a janitor's closet, and officially challenges Skip to a title match, being that he got intrigued by the idea of a Chaos title and feels like he needs to hold it. Furthermore, he challenges Skip to find the most chaotic stipulation he can for their title match, by next week's show.

Segment Rating: 64 

MATCH 3: 

Gargantuan vs Sterling Whitlock. Another big southern brawl for Whitlock after the Blockbuster match. And let's note something here. Gargantuan is an incredibly valuable asset for the roster, but he has shown an inability to rise up and match the match quality of the others, despite the fact he's fine for a human being so mindwarpingly large so you know, we can treat him as a real wrestler. Nevertheless, this match is watchable, and Whitlock puts up a great great fight carrying the proceedings before being put down, tapping out to a Torture Rack. 

SEGMENT 4: 

Thunder & Lightning are cutting a promo on The Canadian Blondes, saying that as they've won the titles they've been moving away from proper tag team wrestling and that will be their downfall. Adrian Garcia will only hasten them losing the titles, as complacency creeps in. On the other hand, Thunder & Lightning are on a roll and are going to get the titles. The content of the promo is good but the delivery isn't, and the segment is saved by the Blondes coming in and beating them up with the aid of Adrian Garcia. 

Segment Rating: 52 

MATCH 4: 

Dan DaLay vs Sean McFly. Well, ol' Dan had another one in him! He let himself be carried by Sean in a really slow main event that followed the CGC formula and just hit him really hard when he had to. It was very odd seeing Sean work that style but I guess he's done enough SWF work for it not to be a huge surprise. The right main event on what disappointingly was an one match show, Dan missed a backfist that got him up for the Delorean Driver and Sean McFly is through. 

Segment Rating: 65 

SEGMENT 5: 

Post-match, Gargantuan rushes the ring and has a brawl with McFly before officials step in. This is the thing the crowd made the most noise for the whole two hours so it's a good choice to end on.

Segment Rating: 67

Overall Rating: 65 

NEXT WEEK: Go Home Show for Apocalypse! Huge Main Event!

Match Card

Gargantuan & Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois & Sean McFly 

Greg Black vs Hugh Ancrie 

Alexander Robinson and Thunder & Lightning vs Jamie Atherton & The Canadian Blondes 

Gopher & The Ant vs Blockbuster & Curtis Mobstar 

Dan Draper vs Lewis Frey 

• Like 2

It looks like you had a hard time with bad chemistry and commentary but picked the right main event and closing segment to minimise the damage. I'm excited to see Whippy in another interesting angle. It feels like smart booking too as he's a perfect character to reintroduce the chaos to Skip's reign. Good segments all round with the fun DuBois-Playmate dynamic and The Golden Elite's character and feud-building exploits.

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 164, Tuesday, Week 2 of October 2018

SEGMENT 1: 

Whippy The Clown is in the ring, waiting for Skip Beau to appear and responds to his Canadian Chaos Championship challenge. He doesn't have to wait long, but Skip is clearly flustered by the fact he hasn't thought of a stipulation, so a chunk of the segment is comedy centered around the fact. Skip tries to create a stipulation out of random words but they're rejected, until he lands on...a Turkish Oil Wrestling match! Whippy is ecstatic for this stipulation, while Skip doesn't even know what he proposed. They do shake hands on it though. 

Segment Rating: 61 

MATCH 1: 

Gopher & The Ant vs Blockbuster & Curtis Mobstar. Maybe it was on purpose since Mobstar has been a tweener for the past couple months, but he and Blockbuster made a terrible team. Also, they lost in a match that felt like it should have ended before it did because the babyfaces were in control a lot of the time. A rare misstep by CGC's match output considering the talent in the ring. 

Segment Rating: 38 

SEGMENT 2: 

Jenny gets an interview with the babyface team for tonight's main event. Marc and Sean spend the whole time putting each other over as the mark of excellence in CGC, with Marc making a lot of references on the different trajectories of their young selves in SWF. He hopes to work together with Sean and win tonight, but also get the opportunity to beat the legend on Friday at Apocalypse. Sean says he can't wait to get in the ring with him, but he shouldn't forget he literally has the champ in the way. He offers to give Marc some pointers on how to make his submission work tighter ahead of the main event, which builds some slight tension with Dubois not really willing to be treated as a rookie. 

Segment Rating: 66

MATCH 2: 

Dan Draper vs Lewis Frey. They had an okay match that isn't notable for anything other than being better than you'd fear and better than the opener. Lewis tries to do an "Alexander Robinson tribute routine" to put over the link of Team Stiff'Em and the fact he's still a rookie, while Dan was absolutely a new version of himself, more vicious and angry than before. He won with a Boston Crab and didn't let go of Lewis until even Adrian Garcia was like "alright, that's enough". 

Segment Rating: 46 

MATCH 3: 

Greg Black vs Hugh Ancrie. Greg does another job on the way out of the company, with Hugh needing to get his heat back after having a disappointing match with Dubois. This delivered some great action and was match of the night, but ultimately didn't build to anything and didn't matter. Hugh locked in The Crying Game and Black tapped out, and there's some stuff to consider about Ancrie's run honestly because he was really hot but his bad chemistry with Dubois might make him the odd man out in this new main event scene for the company. 

Segment Rating: 64 

MATCH 4: 

Alexander Robinson and Thunder & Lightning vs The Golden Elite. A fun spotfest, a whirlwind of a match that has become a staple of CGC shows and is quite over with me, this framed the story for the title match with T&L really dominating any time they were in the ring by being more vicious-but-legal with their work, not being afraid to get down and dirty, and Robinson adding to it with his veteran leadership. However, Jamie Atherton continued his superstar run by just shining brighter than anyone and saving his teammates' asses while also giving them a lecture about how they need to be actually ELITE in the big match. Atherton hit a Dangerous Brainbuster on Thunder for the win while the blondes were incapacitating the other two opponents, giving the Golden Elite a big win and momentum. 

SEGMENT 3: 

After the match was over, Jamie went on the microphone to accept Alexander Robinson's challenge from last week for a tag team match at the PPV, making a point to say it's because they showed tonight they're not a threat. Jamie will enjoy running Robinson out of the company by force, and perhaps making bald Frey wear a blonde wig so that he can feel how it is to be a star in the ring, doing him a favor by adopting him into the Golden Elite. (This promo randomly rolled an 100 on TEW, showcasing how over Jamie finally is, commentary nerfed it though)

Segment Rating: 82

MATCH 5: 

Gargantuan & Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois & Sean McFly. A great main event but not quite next level. Gargantuan did work that Ian was ruining by being a weasel that can't fight fair whenever he was in, Dubois and Sean worked together at first and then tried to one-up each other all the time, and this was a classic storytelling affair. That oneupmanship proved to be the pair's doom. They went for a double falcon arrow on Ian DeColt to mock him, but he slipped out of the hold (and out of the ring). Gargantuan charged in to wreck them and it took them a while to fight him off, taking a lot of damage in the process. Ian tries to hit a top rope crossobdy on both of them. They catch him, hit the Falcon Arrow, do their taunts and have a staredown as if knowing the next time they'll be in the ring as enemies, and Ian shoves Marc into Sean McFly, their heads collide and the World champion can roll Dubois up for a huge win. 

Segment Rating: 63 

SEGMENT 4: 

Running out of the ring to celebrate, Ian gets a microphone and runs all three of them down, informing them that they're not winning the George DeColt Memorial Cup. Gargantuan because he doesn't have the stamina or mental fortitude, and while he has George DeColt's DNA just like Ian, he's the Wario to his Mario. Dubois because he is too busy smoking cigarettes backstage and being sorry for himself to capture glory, and Sean McFly because he is an invader. And Ian is going to remind every citizen of DECOLT COUNTRY, that he is not welcome, no matter what their cheers indicate. This was really good! Ian's best promo of the year by far. 

Segment Rating: 71 

Overall Rating: 66

• Like 2

CGC APOCALYPSE BECKONS! AT THE KING EDWARD MULTIPLEX WHERE GEORGE DECOLT DEFENDED HIS CWF TAG TEAM TITLES MYRIADS OF TIMES, THE GEORGE DECOLT MEMORIAL CUP WILL BE WON FOR THE FIRST TIME! THAT PLUS TWO TITLES ARE DEFENDED! 

MATCH CARD FOR PREDICTIONS: 

George DeColt Memorial Cup Final: 
??? vs ???

The Canadian Blondes (C) vs Thunder & Lightning 

CGC Canadian Chaos Championship Turkish Oil Wrestling Match: 

Skip Beau (C) vs Whippy The Clown

Team Stiff'Em (Robinson & Frey) vs The Golden Elite (Atherton & Draper) 

George DeColt Memorial Cup Semi Final: 

Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois 

Gargantuan vs Sean McFly

OOC: No preview for this PPV because it's the tournament and previewing two questionmarks feels weird. Expect it to get posted sooner than usual for reasons that will become obvious when it's posted. 

• Like 2

Wow, you nailed that hot main event followed by an even hotter post-match segment combo again, and this time with an even higher rated match and promo earlier in the show to back it up.

I enjoyed the Dubois-McFly dynamic, and how smoothly the earlier interview fed the main event. Ian DeColt running everyone down, co-opting the classic catchphrases and obnoxiously vowing to keep it in the family felt like the perfect Apocalypse go-home segment.

Elsewhere, you got Golden Elite's heat back quickly like you hinted you would last week, and Hugh Ancrie's too, but I think the Whippy segment was my favourite. I love this meta dynamic of the chaos gimmick becoming somewhat of an afterthought, even to Skip himself this time, as it adds to the chaos of it all.

I'm looking forward to the show, which may go live on a WWE PLE day again. Despite calling the Rumble wrong, I'll double down on Dubois. Or is the reason it's being posted sooner than usual because Skip-Whippy opened, the oil got out of control, the venue was evacuated and the rest of the show was cancelled?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 619 said:

I'm looking forward to the show, which may go live on a WWE PLE day again. Despite calling the Rumble wrong, I'll double down on Dubois. Or is the reason it's being posted sooner than usual because Skip-Whippy opened, the oil got out of control, the venue was evacuated and the rest of the show was cancelled?

When in 2024+ I get tired of running this diary, I promise the ending will be oil-related, this had me rolling.

• Haha 1

Dubois d. McFly

The Canadian Blondes (C) d. Thunder & Lightning 

CGC Canadian Chaos Championship Oily Turkish Pervert Match: 

Skip Beau (C) d. Whippy The Clown

Team Stiff'Em (Robinson & Frey) d. The Golden Elite (Atherton & Draper) 

Marc Dubois d. Ian DeColt

Sean McFly d. Gargantuan

• Like 1

Ian DeColt vs Sean McFly

The Canadian Blondes (C) vs Thunder & Lightning 

CGC Canadian Chaos Championship Turkish Oil Wrestling Match: 

Skip Beau (C) vs Whippy The Clown

Team Stiff'Em (Robinson & Frey) vs The Golden Elite (Atherton & Draper) 

Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois 

Gargantuan vs Sean McFly

• Like 1

CGC_Apocalypse.jpg.25c32627360607e05e8e8cf211062326.jpg

CGC APOCALYPSE REPORT - FRIDAY, WEEK 3 OF OCTOBER 2018 

Venue: King Edward Multiplex, British Columbia, Canada 

CA: 3693 

MATCH 1: GEORGE DECOLT MEMORIAL CUP SEMI-FINAL 

GARGANTUAN VS SEAN MCFLY 

GargantuanKingBison.jpg.2691f25c435294a21392161513e94b24.jpg  VS SeanMcFlyShipshirt.jpg.89dcde28599a0ebf5507ecb1c40e5ea3.jpg

CGC Apocalypse opens up with a ridiculous-to-have-thought-of match. Gargantuan vs Sean McFly in a 20-minute slugfest designed to showcase the fact that Gargantuan is a freak of nature for even going 20. Of course, there was a lot of plodding submission work, but in a good way, since Gargantuan enhanced his work with some bear hugs that looked like they were breaking Sean in half. The legend fought back with intensity going after the genetically modified killing machine's leg in various instances, to aid him in lifting Gargantuan for a devastating Delorean Driver. One, Two, Thr- Gargantuan powers out, tossing McFly to the outside of the ring. Rejuvenated, Gargantuan follows out and uses the barricade to hit a backbreaker on Sean, then carrying him back to the ring and going for the Ultimate Backbreaker. However, McFly slips out and locks in an Ankle Lock, forcing the monster to wail and scream in pain and tap out. 

Segment Rating: 56 

MATCH 2: GEORGE DECOLT MEMORIAL CUP SEMI FINAL 

IAN DECOLT VS MARC DUBOIS 

AaronKnightParker_Stiles.jpg.4e123727ccc84f13798bf3c877b70549.jpg VS MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.12df1160825f96bafd7a6981eff28367.jpg

Perhaps the biggest possible match between full-time CGC Combatants, It was a brisk sprint that essentially rushed through a normal CGC Main Event on purpose to show that these two aren't limited to it. Both men kicked out of one of another man's signature moves (Dubois the Intrepid Arrow, Ian the Mark of Excellence) in the first ten minutes. Ian went for the ten punches in the corner spot, signaling the crowd to cheer instead of boo him in between each one, and Dubois countered into a running powerbomb for a 2.9! Instantly going for the Dubious Dubois Pin (La Magistral), Ian uses his power to counter into a DeColt 45 (Ricky DeColt's Cradle Shock), but he can't even go for the pin! Ian removed the pad on the turnbuckle after he realized he wasted too much time and went to irish whip Dubois on the exposed steel, but Marc managed to stop the momentum, hold his ground and counter into the Model Solution, getting a submission win over the CGC World Champion!

MATCH 3: ALEXANDER ROBINSON & LEWIS FREY VS DAN DRAPER & JAMIE ATHERTON 

AlexanderRobinson.jpg.719313b03043fe3e476643cfbe4624f3.jpg LewisFreyKingBison.jpg.62f9538b4fb75e519d5792f52f487042.jpg  VS DapperDannyDraper.jpg.832b592935ddc6acf54cbf70ab1d8bc9.jpg JamieAthertonshipshirt.jpg.05c9c8468f0e318b8fab6e05b64a3997.jpg

Another crowdpleasing sprint, with the young guys essentially having a reprise of their singles match and Robinson and Atherton adding some spice to the recipe. Frey is a solid babyface in peril, and while Draper probably should be a chickenshit heel, with that jawline you can't go wrong. Frey hits a suplex on Draper and gets Robinson in on the hot tag who absolutely clocks Atherton with lariats before hitting a flapjack. He headbutts the young Draper to fall to the floor and hits the running european uppercut on Atherton for a two count. Going for the PRIDE Suplex to end things, Atherton slips out and hits a dropkick to the back of Robinson's head, who tags Frey back in. Frey gets a takedown on Atherton and goes for a side headlock, only to get kicked in the skull by Draper, which gets the referee in his face as a dangerous maneuver. Atherton takes advantage and hits an unprettier on the young Frey who is absolutely dazed, pushes the ref to the side, tags Draper back in who chokes Lewis Frey out with a Guillotine as Robinson watches on. 

SEGMENT 1: 

Before the CGC Canadian Chaos Championship Match begins, as is customary the competitors in the turkish oil match rub each other up with oil. This is played up for comedy, but not in a homophobic way, in a "this is a program for kids and kids fight close contact gross". The difference is in how the commentary team put it over. 

MATCH 4: CGC CANADIAN CHAOS TURKISH OIL MATCH: WHIPPY THE CLOWN VS SKIP BEAU (C) 

WhippyTheClownShipshirt2.jpg.11b4d594a80f842364507856c0d38357.jpg CGCCanadian2.jpg.18c09c2813d596e1ec2ee083628aba4f.jpg SkipBeauParker_Stiles.jpg.36e46c17a0acab9bccb5c331ab19e9ee.jpg

This was the first pure comedy match these two have done in a while, and they had very entertaining performances centered around the difficulty of grappling and the tricks Whippy tried to bring the champion down, but also this went on way too long for a comedy match, almost as match as the two matches that came before it, and the crowd died down at the end. Skip hit that flow dance before attempting the Flow Down, but Whippy used the oil to get lower and counter into a crucifix pin for the win! A shocking title change and in a comedy match at that. 

Segment Rating: 43 

MATCH 5: CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH: THUNDER & LIGHTNING VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) 

JasonThunderAsaemon.jpg.4cb5209602cc30aff76d6c8692b029ea.jpg LightningLomasAsaemon.jpg.f53cca165431bf80d7b02e561459e1cf.jpg

CGCTagTeam2.jpg.2724c5aed93397eaeda2b5774d7e7eb3.jpg

FlashSavage2.jpg.abf740b9bc9dbbb111c537e2e037c37a.jpgOzzieGoldenPoputt.jpg.02eb0bdc8dcca086288f34e520779440.jpg

In the match of the night, Thunder & Lightning established themselves as a team to watch, pushing the champions to the limit and getting to dominate them for a vast majority of the match, with their superior teamwork going up against the vanity their title reign has created, replacing their determination if we go back to the spring. A lot of excellent control work from the indie veterans that allowed Flash and Ozzie to get back to their best as far as being cocky high fliers. The moment Flash finally gets the tag to Ozzie everyone is frustrated which is quite a reversal of the common dynamic, but it's also due to the fact Ozzie instantly begins to pull hair, masks and use Adrian Garcia's help to maintain the momentum of the "hot" tag. Garcia distracts the ref so that Flash can join in the ring with illegal attacks on Lightning and when Thunder tries to get in the ring to help, Adrian gets the ref to notice and prevent him from joining the action. A double Brainbuster later, The Canadian Blondes have retained. 

Segment Rating: 61 

SEGMENT 2: 

After the match, a frustrated Thunder & Lightning jump the champions, but before they can hit their double finisher Thunderstruck a furious Garcia threatens them with legal action. They drop the Blondes and circle him like hyenas, and he promises them a rematch at Survival Of The Fittest to not touch him. They leave content. 

Segment Rating: 52 

MAIN EVENT: GEORGE DECOLT MEMORIAL CUP FINAL 

MARC DUBOIS VS SEAN MCFLY 

MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.12df1160825f96bafd7a6981eff28367.jpg VS SeanMcFlyShipshirt.jpg.89dcde28599a0ebf5507ecb1c40e5ea3.jpg

The longest singles match of the year in CGC! And these two absolutely tore the house down with a modern classic and one of the best CGC matches of the decade. A match where the mutual respect quickly went away as both men didn't want to put their egos to the side and concede superiority to the other and just grappled and clawed to take advantage of any possible weakness. This match never left the ring. This match never strayed from the ultimate goal, every little thing was about winning the match at the end. From bridging locks that may sneak a three count in the best case scenario, to the fervor with which Dubois went after Sean's back after the opener, it was truly a sight to behold. The veteran was trying to keep up past the 20th minute, making everything seem like a foregone conclusion, until he hit the most devastating Delorean Driver and crawled to put an arm across the chest of Dubois for the three count... but Dubois foot was on the ropes! In that moment McFly knew he doesn't have much left, but he instantly went for another Delorean Driver, which was countered into a victory roll for a close call. Both men getting up at the same time, McFly went for a McFlying Lariat only to jump into a Superkick, then the Skull Crusher for the Mark of Excellence! But Dubois didn't go for the pin, instead locking in the Model Solution. McFly resigned to his fate and tapped out to the move, recognizing the better man on the day. 

Segment Rating: 59 

SEGMENT 3: 

Alex DeColt came out to give Marc Dubois his trophy, congratulate him for the honor he gave to the tournament and the DeColt legacy, but also make a huge announcement: On Sunday's Title Bout Wrestling in Montreal, Marc Dubois is going to face Ian DeColt in his hometown for the CGC World Heavyweight Championship, after his win against the champion tonight and also Ian's lack of defense in the past 28 days. 

Segment Rating: 76 

Overall Rating: 61 

CGC.jpg.410a8e044ba81cb775b26b1e9d4d654c.jpg

• Like 1

As is usual for any show, after I woke up and checked my e-mails I went online to see the reaction to CGC Apocalypse. After stacking a month with some of the biggest matches I could run for the tournament to gain its prestige, and McFly put over Dubois this graciously and decisively (despite the fact I asked him to put Ian over first, we'll ignore that), I was feeling really confident that this was truly the show that put us back on the map. 

Instead, all I found was vitriol towards Curt Merritt. Wether it was the fans or the critics, everyone rated the show lower due to his presence. And the thing is, it was worse than the last few shows despite the matches and segments themselves being better, other than my mistake to have Skip vs Whippy go on too long. I really didn't get why the consensus was that Frankie Dee vs Sean McFly was by far the best match of his run in the company. Is it that no one expected anything and the surprise carried it? People seem to be getting harsher on the color commentary on the shows despite it being up to par for a random indie and him being polished for being literally 19 years old and improving every show.

Are we suddenly not an indie again? Am I missing something on how annoying the kid's act is? I didn't have any answers on the why, but the important part is the "what". We need an addition to the booth. 

I didn't have time to hire someone in time for the show where Marc challenges Ian, which NEEDS to be a hit and recoup the momentum lost from this show- which still was fine, just a step back from the huge successes of the summer. I pondered putting Alex there, he's incredible on the stick and can carry things, but I couldn't possibly do that realistically. He has been used too much already, the man is still on mood stabilizers, having him out there for 12 hours a month is a disaster. We can do a few minutes, scripted and being centered around the DeColt legacy that can keep him engaged.  

The second choice was to ask Jenny Playmate, but she responded she's fine being a backstage interviewer until an opportunity to manage someone again pops up. I respected it, but also found it really annoying, since it meant there was only one choice. I had to find a bullshit storyline explanation to get back on the commentary booth while also managing the Golden Elite. I much preferred not being a commentator, but putting my preferences aside, Jamie can carry the faction in terms of talking just fine, even Eddie Chandler wasn't this adept at it in the original lineup of the Elite, so things would be fine. It would also allow Curt to improve at his own pace to the point where he wouldn't face the vitriol of people who don't know better. 

But I just couldn't help but feel bitter that the fans' impatience and shortsightedness overshadowed what was a like 4 star/80 rated match or whatever by Marc and Sean, who got paid an insane amount for his 5 appearances in the company and delivered excellence and professionalism. 

It would also mean losing a big negotiating hand on my current battle with the boss, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. After all, he's been more than satisfied with my booking thus far, to the point where he accepted putting Jamie over. Even if it was with an asterisk.

• Like 1

Congratulations on another entertaining show, whatever the ungrateful fans think. I didn't see the Whippy win coming, but am delighted about that. I think he's the perfect fit for the chaos of the division (assuming the gimmick outlives Skip's reign).

Dubois winning felt like the right outcome, especially beating DeColt on the way to set up a title match, though I wasn't expecting it on TV. I'm intrigued to see just how big you go with it: if it's mainly used to pop a rating, build momentum and set up something for the next big show, or if there's a decisive outcome.

And what an achievement for the tag teams to deliver match of the night on such a star-studded card. I know some of that was other matches being penalised, but I think it also speaks to the role the current title reign has played in elevating the division.

• Like 1