CGC: From The Ground (2018 Alternate CornellVerse Mod)

CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TRIPLE THREAT MATCH: GARGANTUAN VS MARC DUBOIS VS IAN DECOLT (C) 

I feel like Garg and Dubois' series can continue at the next PPV in their rubber match

CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: THUNDER & LIGHTNING VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) 

I like Thunder and Lightning, but I don't think they're over enough to win this one.

JAMIE ATHERTON VS SKIP BEAU 

He beat Alex DeColt twice on PPV... Beau can take the loss, Atherton could become your top guy

CGC CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP "ZEUS CAN'T USE HIS HANDS" MATCH: ZEUS MAXIMILLION VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C)

The stip makes me think it's Whippy's night

BIG BAD BRAWL MATCH: DUSTY DUCONT VS JOEY POISON

I think he needs a big win to back up what he's been saying. Poison is great, but he's on the wind down.

Just wanted to pop on here and tell you how much I've enjoyed this so far. Reminds me of Self's CGC diary from a number of years ago. It's really, really good, with a lot of fun stuff happening. I may have missed it, because I haven't read every word, but what happened to Donte Dunn?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lloyd said:

Just wanted to pop on here and tell you how much I've enjoyed this so far. Reminds me of Self's CGC diary from a number of years ago. It's really, really good, with a lot of fun stuff happening. I may have missed it, because I haven't read every word, but what happened to Donte Dunn?

Thank you so much for popping in and predicting. Self's diary is a big inspiration even though I can't quite do it that way, I have tiny homages in there like Gargantuan's nickname. 

Donte Dunn starts the mod with a lot of negative heat from Alex DeColt who wants him buried in the owner goals, so I couldn't quite salvage his career and he opted to leave fairly early on in the save, which is a shame as you have probably noticed the shortage of babyfaces.

CGC SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST 2018 REPORT 

CGC_SurvivalOfTheFittest.jpg.303de17b518c19d894f89aa183560ac8.jpg

Venue: Waterloo University Arena, Toronto, Ontario 

CA: 5000 (SOLD OUT)

PPV BUYS: 26,577 

MATCH 1: CGC CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: ZEUS MAXIMILLION (CAN'T USE HANDS) VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C)

ZeusMaxmillionjtlant2.jpg.abf45f303fe64c0fc286858603f34cd8.jpg  CGCCanadian2.jpg.ea0063783e20972d992aa4e5a8c5acb7.jpg  WhippyTheClownShipshirt1.jpg.22d815c748fda531532a219180d7e152.jpg

Obviously this wasn't some fair fight. However, Zeus came as prepared as he could be, purposely using elbows and forearms where he would slaps and punches to start the match, trying his best to lift Whippy with his arms for his usual impact moves. In general, he managed to adapt fairly well, though he still had moments where he got caught up in habits and had to freeze and cede control to an absolutely ecstatic Whippy who saw his choice bear fruit at multiple points in the match. In particular, Whippy did his best targeting the demigod's face, making sure to piss him off as much as possible instead of causing head trauma, in hopes of making him swing (or locking in the Why So Serious Lock, as he's a Combatant who contains multitudes!) and forcing the DQ win. This almost worked at one point but Zeus stopped himself- and that hesitation was a perfect opening for Whippy to hit the Clowning Around (Code Breaker) for a very close nearfall. Zeus fought back with explosiveness, knowing that he can't afford more mistakes so he had to speed up. After a particularly devastating Uranage, he picked Whippy up and locked in the devastating Olympian Clutch II! Whippy shuffled around trying to escape but the grip was extremely tight powered up by Honor, Determination and Godlike strength, to the point when Whippy knew he had little choice but to tap out...until he got an excellent, devious idea! He managed to contort his right hand in a way where he was kind of holding hands with Zeus, and argued to the referee that this is a violation of the rules, which made ref Russell Eicke start the DQ 5 count, forcing Zeus to release the hold! The suntanned superman pleaded his case, but that was the exact opening Whippy needed, as he rolled Zeus up for the three count, keeping his belt!!!!

SEGMENT RATING: 56 

MATCH 2: FRANKIE DEE VS THE DEBUTING RICKY STORM

FrankieDeejtlant.jpg.325ef92d211e4f2074e28fbacba26897.jpg  VS  RickyStormShipshirt.jpg.917f90d3cbf5743d7b764e807b02c6b2.jpg

It seems like the martial artist teased on the last episode of Title Bout Wrestling was "The Sensational" Ricky Storm! The hottest free agent in wrestling today made his debut against fellow martial artist Frankie Dee. It's Kung Fu vs Karate in a battle for the ages and a particularly impressive and flashy affair. These two wrestled at a frantic pace, hitting each other as hard as possible but never lowering their guard, only stopping to show respect to one another for their excellent performance. Ricky peppered in some (familiar for the 21CW audience) moves such as his rolling solebutt, the one inch gut punch, the elevated DDT and the Exploder Suplex, but each time Frankie fought back and got back in, forcing Ricky to use his most lethal weapon: the twisted Gutbuster known as Storm Rising, to earn his first CGC victory. 

SEGMENT RATING: 61 

SEGMENT 1: POST MATCH PROMO

Ricky instantly took to the microphone to congratulate his opponent for a well-fought battle, but mostly to share a life lesson with the fans of CGC: Fighting, wrestling isn't about winning, it's about learning lessons and improving self-discipline. Only then will you achieve your best version, and by proxy happiness. So what did he learn in this match, his first in a CGC ring? That competition is fierce. That you need to bring your best self in every occasion. That humility is key. And that no one can beat your best technique, if you've spent all your life mastering it. 

SEGMENT RATING: 55 

MATCH 3: JAMIE ATHERTON VS SKIP BEAU 

JamieAthertonshipshirt.jpg.e449675ab0da63e1ff81d1ca242e800a.jpg  VS  SkipBeauParker_Stiles.jpg.5a79c8537f62f606ed48a9c93926c2f2.jpg

What an absolute masterpiece these two painted. We already knew they are competitive with each other, but both felt like they had to bring something "extra" to this one and they blew the expectations out the water! Jamie instantly relished not being locked in a cage against Skip this time and he was absolutely rapid which made Skip have to adjust and ease himself into the match. This proved to be a mistake, as Jamie really controlled the pace for the whole first half of the contest, having both Skip and the crowd at the palm of his hands, despite the Golden Elite not being by his side (excluding Adrian Garcia in the commentary booth). But Skip is a force that can't be contained for long, and he forced himself back into the match with a vicious body back drop. From that the snowball became an avalanche of offense with flying lariats, belly to belly suplexes, and an early attempt at the Flow Down that Jamie flipped out of, absolutely terrified. This is where the contest reached its latter, more even stage with both of them angling to end things as hard as possible, essentially hitting mini combos that led to nearfalls. Skip debuted a Fallaway Slam to the outside that absolutely rocked Jamie, and Atherton himself had a lot more of his offense aiming towards Skip's head, since he's not as easy to ground as his usual opponent. Jamie tried his hardest to hit the Dangerous Brainbuster on Skip, but Skip was too big and focused on finishing the job. Perhaps too focused, as he tried a very ambitious way to end things, not wanting to risk another kickout: an Avalanche Flow Down, that Jamie managed to counter into a top rope Frankensteiner, dropping Skip on his neck and allowing himself to pick up the pieces: Dangerous Brainbuster, 1...2...3. A CLEAN win!

SEGMENT RATING: 77 (+6 from the previous year record!)

SEGMENT 2: Jamie has a demand 

In a stark contrast from the last post-match promo, Jamie instantly wanted only one thing to talk about: Himself. How impressive he was, how he has officially beaten anyone thrown at him, how he only has one thing left: winning the CGC World Championship at Chamber Of Horrors. He warns Alex DeColt that when he chooses the participants for the Chamber Of Horrors match, if he isn't included, the Greatest Showman is ready to lawyer up, b*tch! 

SEGMENT RATING: 74

MATCH 4: CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH: THUNDER & LIGHTNING VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C) 

JasonThunderAsaemon.jpg.a7c7c619efd16740f5601b5b56ebb262.jpg LightningLomasAsaemon.jpg.3cc1ad6eeb3d5c769f343a0f488bf4a5.jpg 

CGCTagTeam2.jpg.f78cdda826c9399baa4fcc03a2c25ced.jpg  

FlashSavage2.jpg.d2cbbbcdefac765d396b8f4162c4cc93.jpg OzzieGoldenPoputt.jpg.535e71828ff9c74936712ba35c2400f5.jpg

The Canadian Blondes despite their talent have been mostly fighting on par with the rest of the division and not above them like most champions. Having said that, Thunder & Lightning with their extra edge to do whatever it takes have shown themselves to be their most capable challengers so far, and this continued in this contest, which was unpredictable from start to finish, as well as the best tag titles match of the year. T&L were in sync bringing the fight to the Complacent Blondes, who still showed flashes of brilliance by cutting off barrages of offense and using the space very well to not truly be left helpless against double teams. Ozzie hit the Golden Shower for a very early nearfall, but that was a bad decision as he got instantly beat up by the anxious challengers as retribution. Despite the back and forth action, we looked to be heading towards a definitive winner at the very winner with Lightning locking in the Lightning Lock on Flash, but that was the point where The Golden Elite once again showed why the partnership exists. Ozzie feigned a serious injury that forced referee Jonathan Taylor to check on him, which allowed Don Draper to appear from out of nowhere, strike Lightning AND Thunder with one of the tag title belts and dip out of the ring. Flash hit the Crucifix, tagged Ozzie in who magically got back the pep in his step, hit the Golden Shower on Lightning and the champs retained once again!

SEGMENT RATING: 70 

MATCH 5: BIG BAD BRAWL RULES - DUSTY DUCONT VS JOEY POISON 

DustyDucontAsaemon(1).jpg.afae8e8fa23fa10e25bf9aa548c5fb34.jpg  VS  JoeyPoisonShipshirt.jpg.059873f39209332c0392aacbc043ba14.jpg

Dusty is imposing on any opponent, and the Big Bad Brawl rules should usually suit him against anyone except perhaps Gargantuan himself. However, healthy Joey Poison is what the kids would call "a menace". The veteran really showed that his words of taking exception to the big man weren't all show and he instantly grabbed a chair that he used to slap a conscience into Dusty. After the chair was broken by the sheer size of Ducont's muscles colliding with it, Joey tried to lift the deadweight over the rope for the humiliating victory, but Dusty recovered just in time. Afterwards both men went to grab weapons, with Ducont choosing a kendo stick and Joey another chair and...something else. Dusty broke his kendo stick on Joey's head, then went for a Thrown Powerbomb that Poison barely countered via chairshot to the head, then using the chair by setting it up and jumping off it off of one leg for a dropkick on Ducont. Joey hit the Twist of Fate on Ducont for a two count, and that's when he revealed what the other thing he grabbed was. A vial of green liquid, which he chugged and gave a dark green smile to the crowd right after. Dusty went up and clobbed him from behind, but before he could attempt another Thrown Powerbomb, Joey pushed him away and then spat GREEN MIST right on his face! He followed it up with the Antidote Cradle but Dusty powered out, blind literally but also with rage. Joey, out of tricks, decided to attempt the Wrist-Clutch Poison Driver, but there was a reason he was avoiding the move after all. Dusty managed to counter and lift him up, then throw him over the top with the Gorilla Press, for the top rope victory. Dusty Ducont just beat CGC royalty. 

SEGMENT RATING: 54

MATCH 6: CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP THREE WAY MATCH: GARGANTUAN VS MARC DUBOIS VS IAN DECOLT (C)

GargantuanKingBison.jpg.3dab30a5f617c007c3832290755132cb.jpg  VS MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.9255e0b821b154d8cff9f110146a3eea.jpg  VS  AaronKnightParker_Stiles.jpg.f1a55f8e3a9b72520dca7962d0d6e462.jpg

CGCWorld.jpg.b8d23dcb24a8b1d0eae792ec88776558.jpg

What. A. Battle. CGC is all about these big brawls, but the added element of the two world class wrestlers having to work together to survive against Gargantuan really elevated this match into a new level. Especially since, shockingly, Dubois and DeColt showed a lot of chemistry and real teamwork in fighting Gargantuan off. Of course, the Genetically Modified Killing Machine got the better of them multiple times, but after Dubois hit his Superkick and Ian his Identity Theft, his resistances went down. Using the steel steps and double DDTing him on the edge of the cold hard steel, they managed to "get rid" of him for a while and went in the ring to settle their differences. There, Dubois shone as the new bright light that wants to lead CGC into a glorious future by completely showing his amazing wrestling skills and the fact that three matches in, he has figured out the puzzle that is Ian DeColt. Ian has to resort to DeColt-isms to bring anything "new" to the table, with his brawling getting more vicious and reminiscent of Angry Jack DeColt. But that's just a short-term solution delaying the inevitable. Dubois hits the Superkick, into the Face Crusher! Model Solution!1...2...3- NO! Ian brings the shoulder up! Marc instantly goes for the Dubious Dubois Pin, not wanting to waste time, but Gargantuan is there to stop him! Gargy grabs Ian DeColt, hits him with the ULTIMATE BACKBREAKAAAAAAH and discards him to the outside like trash. Besides, he's actually 1-1 with Dubois. Their fight is legendary, but shockingly, Dubois has the better of him too, at least more often than not this time. A pounce by Gargantuan at some point turns him upside down and is almost enough to crown a new champion, but Dubois at the very least has the Ultimate Backbreaker scouted and doesn't let Gargantuan get him fully up without backflipping out of his clutches. Dubois finds a lot of success spamming his superkicks, but it's clear his legs are getting tired, so when he once again dodges a wild swing by Gargantuan, that time he uses his momentum to lock in the Model Solution! He's doing it, it's happening! Gargantuan is fading! The referee holds up the arm once, and it drops. Twice, and it drops. He lifts Gargantuan's hand a third time and...referee Jonathan Taylor gets punted on the face by a desperate Ian DeColt! Dubois instantly removes the hold on the unconscious monster to confront Ian. That was a safety hazard, he could have killed the man, he's not a wrestler! Ian chuckles and tries to wave Marc off, but he's passionate and grabs him by the jaw so that he makes the Prodigal DeColt look at him in his face, at which point a furious Ian DeColt kicks Dubois in the groin. He hits the Identity Theft on him three times, at which point replacement referee Russell Eicke comes out, and counts. 1...2...3..ARM IS UP! But Dubois is working purely on instinct. Ian doesn't want to risk things however. He dumps Dubois off the middle rope, and realizes that an unconscious Gargantuan is an easier bet, pinning him unceremoniously.1...2...3...Title retained. 

SEGMENT RATING: 65 

OVERALL RATING: 67

CGC.jpg.862afb7fc74a52bf0e4950a83620641c.jpg

• Like 3

What a show, really good length, each match was well written but unique on the card. Whippy's win is big for him without hurting Zeus, Storm has Stormed onto the scene (sorry), Atherton came out looking like a star (and with the awesome grade), Golden Elite (if not necessarily the blondes themselves) looking strong, enjoyed the big bad brawl and again both men came out looking good and then main event was fantastic. Always sad to see Garg lose, but at least he wasn't pinned and Ian having to resort to a true desperation tactic with the punt kick on the ref was a nice touch for him going forward. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, christmas_ape said:

What a show, really good length, each match was well written but unique on the card. Whippy's win is big for him without hurting Zeus, Storm has Stormed onto the scene (sorry), Atherton came out looking like a star (and with the awesome grade), Golden Elite (if not necessarily the blondes themselves) looking strong, enjoyed the big bad brawl and again both men came out looking good and then main event was fantastic. Always sad to see Garg lose, but at least he wasn't pinned and Ian having to resort to a true desperation tactic with the punt kick on the ref was a nice touch for him going forward. 

Thanks! This one felt good writing the matches, although perhaps I have to make amends for having a show where 5 of 6 matches were won by heels... much to think about. 

The Gargantuan case is special and intriguing. On one hand, he's one of my most important guys even after I've restructured the roster, he's a star, and I've never booked a truly dominant monster heel world champion so it would be doing something new and challenging which I'd love to. On the other hand, in the backstory of this mod CGC spent all of 2017 giving every title to untalented monster heels much worse than Gargantuan and that's a big part of how the company cratered, so it makes sense to give the fans some breathing room. That plus... I kinda sorta maybe angered him in January by making him job to Poison (while he got super duper extra protected, but still) and he still hasn't forgiven me and is mailing in his performances. 

So, Gargantuan (or Ducont) with the big belt? Maybe in 2019. Hopefully, at least! 

Edited by AboardTheArk

23 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

Thanks! This one felt good writing the matches, although perhaps I have to make amends for having a show where 5 of 6 matches were won by heels... much to think about. 

The Gargantuan case is special and intriguing. On one hand, he's one of my most important guys even after I've restructured the roster, he's a star, and I've never booked a truly dominant monster heel world champion so it would be doing something new and challenging which I'd love to. On the other hand, in the backstory of this mod CGC spent all of 2017 giving every title to untalented monster heels much worse than Gargantuan and that's a big part of how the company cratered, so it makes sense to give the fans some breathing room. That plus... I kinda sorta maybe angered him in January by making him job to Poison (while he got super duper extra protected, but still) and he still hasn't forgiven me and is mailing in his performances. 

So, Gargantuan (or Ducont) with the big belt? Maybe in 2019. Hopefully, at least! 

Yeah that's interesting, I always try and do a fairly even heel/face victory split... Tends to be 4 and 2, or 3/3 on a 6 match card. Then again, sometimes the stories all just culminate or continue in a way that needs the 5 and 1, or 6 and 0!

As for Gargantuan, I think you've handled keeping him away from the top title really well with his feud with Dubois. Realistically, he's going to get a Title match soon. If he loses, then what? Maybe a tag team with Prometheus? :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 16, Tuesday, Week 4 of November 2018

With the signing of Ricky Storm and his debut against Frankie Dee at Survival of the Fittest, Frankie's short-term CGC contract came to an end. The feedback the company gave him in terms of potentially signing him on a permanent basis in the future was "get bigger". Now, on to the show:

SEGMENT 1: 

Alex DeColt opens the show, announcing the entrants to the Chamber Of Horrors match for the CGC World Championship. One by one the entrants come out as he mentions them: Ian DeColt (obviously), Marc Dubois, Jamie Atherton, Dusty Ducont, Skip Beau and Ricky Storm. He also announces that after assaulting a referee during his last title defense, Ian DeColt will start the Chamber match at #1 as punishment. The participants have a standoff, but say no words which is kind of goofy.

Segment Rating: 60 

MATCH 1: 

Ant-Man, Clause Reed, EMOe NOTman and Robin DaLay vs Blockbuster, Dan DaLay, Killer Karson and Teddy Thompson. A bit of a showcase tag where everyone gets two moves in and tags out, it's also the full-time debut of MMA fighter Teddy Thompson after his strong two week run with the Alex DeColt Memorial Cup in October. Alongside his CGC dates he will still be working for Dread down in Texas, as well as taking up MMA fights (apparently he's leaving to train for one in a bit under two months). Not much to say about this match in terms of quality, Blockbuster destroyed the young Emo with a Busterbomb for the win.

Segment Rating: 41

SEGMENT 2: 

Whippy The Clown is in a special designated backstage area with 3 podiums. Dressed to the nines with a maroon suit and a flower pin he's holding the mic. Behind the podiums are Curtis Mobstar, Stevie Grayson and Topher Smith. Whippy announces to the world that in order to pick his next opponent for the Canadian Chaos championship he needs to test them in more ways than just their in-ring abilities, so he has turned "You Got Tricked!" into a gameshow! For podcasting economy I will not recap the whole segment, essentially the bit was pretending Grayson doesn't exist, giving Mobstar outrageously hard questions (at least for the average viewer) and giving Topher freebies, clearly not forgetting the fact they're 1-1 against each other and wanting to rectify that... with a custom ruleset. After Mobstar threatens the host with chain-involved violence, Whippy yields and makes a #1 contender's match for later in the show: Curtis Mobstar vs Topher Smith. Before we cut away, Whippy slides Stevie some money for bothering to show up.

Segment Rating: 42

MATCH 2: 

Gahtir Salim vs Lewis Frey. The debuting Gahtir Salim is a mean, large old-school grappler who loves his suplex variations, and that seamless fit with Frey's technical sensibilities made this match watchable despite the crowd not really caring. Gahtir won with a Salim Suplex (one arm Brainbuster) after poking Frey's eyes to get an advantage, and I am sure this will be his only win for a while but he looks like a promising get. 

Segment Rating: 43 

SEGMENT 3: 

The Golden Elite are celebrating their wins at Survival Of The Fittest and Jamie's inclusion in the Chamber of Horrors match for the World title in their locker room. They congratulate Dan Draper for his crucial intervention in the tag titles match, and unveiling a whole bunch of sponsorships on Flash's tights and Ozzie Golden's jacket, as "they're the hottest athletic commodities in all of British Columbia thanks to Garcia's representation"! This happy mood is interrupted by Alyx Winters, Flip Simkins and Lizzie Spellmann! Gen Z say they've been on a roll the past few weeks winning matches and since The Canadian Blondes have beat everyone (even if by cheating), they feel like they have earnt a title shot. Of course, they're laughed off by the heel stable, until they play into the Blondes' complacency and earn a challenge: if they beat an opponent of the Canadian Blondes' choice next week, they can get their shot at Chamber of Horrors!

Segment Rating: 52 

SEGMENT 4: 

Ricky Storm is practicing meditative techniques in a secluded backstage area, then using his focused inner strength to break blocks of wood with his mere strikes. Sterling Whitlock comes over and asks to try, setting the block in a position to be able to lariat it. He demolishes the wooden block but is in a lot more pain than Ricky who does it effortlessly, and emerges from the segment with a newfound respect for the spitiruality of martial arts.

Segment Rating: 56 

MATCH 3: 

Dan Draper vs Sterling Whitlock. A nice contest with Draper working over Whitlock's hurting arm and the badass fighting through adversity against a dangerous if inexperienced opponent. Draper tries his best to get the Furusawa Armbar as early as possible, but Whitlock is a ring general after being Robinson's understudy for so wrong and is always near a rope break or extra help to counter a move. Dan gets frustrated quickly and attempts every dirty move in the chapters of the book he has read so far, but he can do nothing to stop the inevitability of the Whitlock's End.

Segment Rating: 58 

MATCH 4: 

Curtis Mobstar vs Topher Smith. A high octane contest and a classic 2010's "brawler vs high flyer" matchup that was really fun until it devolved into shenanigans, with Whippy screwing Mobstar at every corner trying to help the babyface who gets annoyed and then dives on Whippy which leads to him almost losing the match and it just gets convoluted and unfun. Regardless, after Whippy sprayed Mobstar with pepper-spray laced water from his suit flower, the Gopher Suicide Dive ended the match. 

SEGMENT 5: 

Post-match, Topher and Whippy are trash talking each other, while an almost-cursing Mobstar is backing off with his eyes burning and swears revenge on the Clown. Whippy announces that he wants Topher in a Submissions match which deflates the crowd. 

Segment Rating: 48

MATCH 5: 

Dusty Ducont, Jamie Atherton and Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois, Ricky Storm and Skip Beau. The 6 participants of the Chamber of Horrors match had a really promising fight ahead of that match, one that showcased once again the incredible form Atherton and Dubois are in, as even in this star-shudded cast they were half a step above everyone. However, the man who got a spotlight put on him was Ricky Storm, who absolutely karate'd his way into everyone's hearts by hitting a Roundhouse on Ian DeColt that led to the winning pin.

Segment Rating: 70

Overall Rating: 65

NEXT WEEK: A marquee singles, a retirement match, and the youngsters prove themselves!

Jamie Atherton vs Ricky Storm 

Dusty Ducont and Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois and Skip Beau 

Generation Z vs ??? ???

The Gopher & The Ant vs Nathan Black & Whippy The Clown in Black's last match!

EMOe NOTman vs Gahtir Salim 

• Like 1

Jamie Atherton vs Ricky Storm 

Dusty Ducont and Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois and Skip Beau 

Generation Z vs ??? ???
Always go with the ??? ???s

The Gopher & The Ant vs Nathan Black & Whippy The Clown in Black's last match!
He has to go out on his Black... I mean back, right?

EMOe NOTman vs Gahtir Salim 

• Like 1

Wow, CGC are ending 2018 in spectacular form. What a booking and writing triumph Survival Of The Fittest was, with three huge ratings on a really diverse card.

The roster is more stacked than ever, and yet still everyone has a distinct personality.

Chamber Of Horrors should be the best show yet if the 70 in the six-man teaser is anything to go by and you've got enough undercard talent now that, even with six stars locked up in one match, it won't be a one-match card.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:32 PM, 619 said:

Wow, CGC are ending 2018 in spectacular form. What a booking and writing triumph Survival Of The Fittest was, with three huge ratings on a really diverse card.

The roster is more stacked than ever, and yet still everyone has a distinct personality.

Chamber Of Horrors should be the best show yet if the 70 in the six-man teaser is anything to go by and you've got enough undercard talent now that, even with six stars locked up in one match, it won't be a one-match card.

Welcome back! 

We are indeed on the up, to the point where I am fearing it will come crashing down all at once. Chamber of Horrors is big, Elimination is bigger, and I am contemplating changing some things as 2019 approaches. Might post two shows in the next few days before my spring break ends so I can speed things up.

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 170, Tuesday, Week 1 of December 2018

MATCH 1:
Generation Z vs The Monstrosities. An one-time appearance, Abomination and Monstrosity of TITAN Factory Wrestling were the hired goons from The Golden Elite to prevent Generation Z from winning a title shot. Two absolute giants who are really talented but super green, against the homegrown youngsters it wasn't the prettiest spectacle. It was messy, but it was also a beilevably huge upset as Alyx Winters made Monstrosity tap out with the Nuclear Lock for the win. 

Segment Rating: 25 

SEGMENT 1: 

The two members of Generation Z get on the microphone and celebrate their win, reminding the fans that this is just the first step towards beating the arrogant, overrated and lazy Canadian Blondes. The Golden Elite has made CGC a worse place, which is why, on behalf of the Power House Army, these two will restore the honor of the title belts. A bit by the numbers and they're not the most comfortable talkers, but they're also 19 years old. 

Segment Rating: 36 

MATCH 2: 

EMOe NOTman vs Gahtir Salim. Yet another total mess, this got worse because Salim accidentally hit a european uppercut too hard and injured Moe's jaw. At the end of the day, CGC has the veterans to put in the ring, maybe they don't want to lose 100% of their matches though. Nevertheless, this was probably the worst match of the year from the company, ending mercifully when Moe hit the Last Bite for the win.

Segment Rating: 19 

SEGMENT 2: 

Back in the matchmaker's office, Alex DeColt presents a new authority figure! The camera reveals canadian legend and former MAW road agent Lee Bennett (who used to be Robinson's tag team partner in PGHW), who is now on a test trial: He's going to be the Guest Enforcer in the Chamber of Horrors match, making sure that despite the violence that takes place in the Steel Chamber, there is no outside interference or deliberately hurting someone already injured after they've been eliminated. If that match goes smoothly, he's going to be the new General Manager of CGC Title Bout Wrestling!

Segment Rating: 64 

SEGMENT 3: 

Jenny Playmate approaches Ricky Storm as he's doing his usual pre-match hot yoga. She lets him go through the mystical practices he uses to have his body and spirit be in harmony and so that he can be in peak condition for his first CGC main event against Jamie Atherton. Stuff like, he has a tap dripping water in a bucket and "when he can split a drop of water in half that's when he knows he's ready to wrestle". Pretty entertaining, we'll see when he gets a real direction in this character. 

Segment Rating: 57

MATCH 3: 

Gopher & The Ant vs Nathan Black & Whippy The Clown. Black's retirement match, this was almost wrestled off-canon, with Black playing the hits and then whenever Whippy tagged in he got all the comeuppance and dominated by the babyfaces. Black got one rare, and last hot tag where he almost pinned Ant-Man with a Black Dog Down, but afterwards Topher Smith got tagged in and pinned him with the Gopher Suicide Dive, in what was overall a pretty damn good match. 

Segment Rating: 54

SEGMENT 4: 

After the match and after Black got one last ovation from the crowd, Whippy was up the ramp leaving towards the backstage area when he got brutally attacked by a sunglasses-wearing Curtis Mobstar who was wielding a hockey stick and absolutely laying him out. Mobstar takes off his sunglasses to reveal his somehow still red eyes after last week's pepper spray attack, and swears that this is only just the beginning of his vengeance against the clown. 

Segment Rating: 49

MATCH 4: 

Dusty Ducont and Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois and Skip Beau. A competitive tag team match that had a few excellent exchanges, this was mostly used to put over Ducont like last week's match for Storm. Dubois really got the best of DeColt once again until Ian started hiding behind the giant. Skip mostly bumped but he had an excellent nearfall after a fallaway slam into a Samoan Drop (!) on Ducont. A thrown powerbomb later however, and Dusty had pinned the Raging Bull for a big win. 

Segment Rating: 68 

MATCH 5: 

Jamie Atherton vs Ricky Storm. Honestly, they could have somehow dubbed this a "dream match" if they wanted even though it isn't really. But these two lightweight super workers put on a breathtaking match befitting of a TCW, EILL, BHOTWG show. Jamie kept up his recent display of trying to wrestle more like a regular worker instead of a high flyer, and Storm's tenacity was the perfect foil to his demeanor. The "Greatest Showman" is indeed putting on a show match ratings wise. Storm hit two Roundhouse kicks in a row to almost get the KO victory, the Golden Elite tried to intervene but were all thwarted by Skip Beau, Marc Dubois and Sterling Whitlcok, and that's when it looked like Ricky's incredible winning ways would continue, but instead Jamie used Storm's headband as a tool to push him to the ground and break up the set up for Storm Bringer, dodged his attempt at the kip-up + Superkick finish and poked the eye to make sure his Dangerous Brainbuster wouldn't be countered. Better safe than sorry!

Segment Rating: 74 

Overall Rating: 71

• Like 4

CGC Headquarters, Alex DeColt's Office - Sometime in early December, 2018 

"Impromptu Meeting" is what Alex had called it. Before 2018, that meant some people got yelled at. In the past few years, it was trying way too hard not to say anything wrong while selling every positive number as a huge success so that he lets my work be. But this one was bound to be quite different. There wasn't a lot of time for pleasantries, just drinks poured and Alex getting straight to the point.

Alex: "First off, congratulations are in order. We're very much profitable, selling out venues that were unthinkable since 2016. There's been a clear uptick in business, and let me tell you. I've made moves that will make sure that 2019 is our year, and as the booker I figured you should know first." 

Well that was a first, but I guess a rite of passage for a CGC booker under Alex DeColt. 

Alex: "Since we're profitable, I took a big initiative. Starting January, I'm cancelling our TV deal with Channel 6. I have a deal with CBN pencilled in. It's a two hour show, but it's actually you booking 90 minutes, 30 minutes of ads, so less than what we're doing for Channel 6 right now." 

Adrian: "Wait, last I checked canceling the Channel 6 deal with one year left is wildly expensive, no?" 

Alex: "I was actually getting to that! They agreed to lessen the cost if we air a 1-hour B Show on the Friday night death slot for them. So, actually, you're going to be booking more content than before, just some of it will be less sequential. Speaking of which, since we're gonna be booking more content, I wanted to touch upon something about the roster depth you've created." 

Well, didn't even have time to protest all those plans, but I guess CBN is a huge upgrade you gotta go for. 

Alex: "You have too many guys you're trying to build getting time in the undercard and it lowers our quality. Soon, these guys will be mostly wrestling in the new B show. Also, we do need more signings to fill out the midcard- I think the uppercard you've built is pretty strong even if it can be nitpicked to death. A way we could do that is that Women's division we were talking about in January, where are we on that?"

Adrian: "Well, there's some great young talent in the local scene, and we could get Zoe (Ammis) from AAA since she's our trainee, but the issue is we don't have enough flagship draws we can get to make the division feel like a big deal early on. There's some contracts expiring in 2019 so there's a chance we could attract one or two of them, but it just doesn't seem like it's on the cards as soon as we hoped, unless we were okay with just building one up from nothing, which now that we're getting more attention doesn't feel like the move." 

Alex nodded. He was more calm and composed than usual, straight to the point. And it was clear he cared more about the next part than the admittedly exciting news. 

Alex: "Right, we'll touch back on that because it feels like with so much competition for men's wrestlers, and the smaller companies in Canada not focusing on guys who would be valuable in our promotion, a women's division is a good opportunity to build up our pool. It's a big trend. But, there's something more important to talk about. As you can tell, getting the CBN deal was tough. I had to sell them on our progress, on having draws. And that's why I want to talk about on our world champion going into January. We have Chamber of Horrors coming up, and as much as I think Ian has done great and has been drawing for us, we need to put the belt on our most recognizable, highest-paid wrestler. We need to put it on Dubois." 

Fuck. Well, that messes with everything.

Adrian: "You can't do that. I've been telling a story with him, we can keep milking that. I had him pencilled in as getting a run with the belt by Ultimate Showdown 2019. He lacks the killer instinct now. He beat Sean McFly who was a babyface, but he hasn't gotten the job against the guys who play dirty. It's compelling, he looks like clearly our best wrestler, and it doesn't hurt him." 

Alex: "When you pitched his signing, he was going to be our franchise player. We are positioning him as such in posters, in promotional material, in our talks with Broadcasting reps. But you don't want to put the belt on him? You didn't even want him to win the George DeColt Memorial Cup, Sean just preferred putting him over to Ian. Why? I know who you want to book to win, it's pretty clearly Atherton. He's too small, can't do it." 

Adrian: "But you put him over! Granted, it wasn't clean, but he's a made man. He's leading our hottest stable that has a recognizable name to everyone in Canada, he gets our most critical praise, he main evented both of our big PPVs in his debut year and heel champions are easier to book the show around on top, which will help us early on." 

Alex: "I just don't think you can have him be our first lightweight world champion. Especially not now. He still has the indy stink on him. I would sooner think of putting the belt on Storm at some point in the next year. Atherton has ways to go." 

Man. We were an indy in all but name when he came over. He's a big reason why we're not right now.

Alex: "Besides. Dubois is a crazy merchandise draw. Putting the belt on him will only make him more profitable. I don't get why you're not ecstatic. You brought him in to be the guy. He is. It's going great. Put the damn belt on him and reap the rewards. He has THREE excellent foils to him in Ian, Atherton and Gargantuan, he has the built in sidekicks, he checks every box. And most importantly- we signed him from EILL, another company who could pay him good money. Crowning him will put other guys who have roles in big companies on notice- we're not afraid to reward them if they're good enough." 

Adrian: "But I just don't think the story is there, he doesn't have the momentum!" 

Alex: "And whose fault is that? He had that momentum in October. Won the Cup against McFly, got screwed out of a clear win two days later. Then you insert Gargantuan and Ian retains, you could have made the right call and title change right then and there. Now you have Atherton close the show every week and deliberately position him as the favorite in the match. But that could work in our favor! Swerve the fans, bro."

Adrian: "Sigh...Okay. I hear you. How about though... Ian retains? You know the plans I have for Atherton opening 2019, we've discussed them. We can do that without the belt. Dubois still has that slight choker tag even though he obviously gets screwed out of the win, doesn't lose. So you have him get the belt at the Wrestlefestival. We drew 2700 people there in two nights last year. We're projected to draw 10000 this year.  People will witness him becoming Mr. CGC, which was the plan all along, I get the story I wanted, you get your top champ for CBN since he won't have to leave the title picture for those 3 months of build. We both win." 

That was a long night, one that changed the course of CGC for the entirety of the next year. But who would shape it from these two men? Who will walk out of Chamber of Horrors as World Champ? Will this very ambitious TV deal come into fruition and work out in the long term? Will CGC get a Women's division in order to juxtapose themselves as the traditional company to NOTBPW's integrated roster? And will Alex DeColt start getting involved with booking decisions more? 

TITLE BOUT WRESTLING MATCH CARD: 

Dusty Ducont vs Marc Dubois 

Jamie Atherton & Ian DeColt vs Ricky Storm & Skip Beau

Joey Poison vs Topher Smith

Lewis Frey & Sterling Whitlock vs Thunder & Lightning

Hugh Ancrie vs Teddy Thompson

• Like 2

Wow, so much is happening. Firstly, congratulations on the new TV deal. It definitely feels like you have the roster depth to support a B show.

I love the Alex/Adrian narrative, and using the situation with Dubois being picked as figurehead but not entirely booked as figurehead to add an extra layer to the dynasty. Working in the fact Atherton would be CGC's first ever lightweight champion makes it even better. That latest post does a great job at creating intrigue over what's to come without revealing everything.

And then there's the fact you had successive 68+ matches on the latest TV show too. It was a fun show beyond that too with Generation Z and Curtis Mobstar starting to feel like big deals, and a new authority figure introduced.

• Like 2

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 171, Tuesday, Week 2 of December 2018

MATCH 1:

Hugh Ancrie vs Teddy Thompson. They really had Teddy look good in this match and built up his submission game against the company's primary technician. A nice competitive wrestling match to open the show, it's clear that they see how marketable Thompson is, but it'll be tough to push him with barely a year's of wrestling experience. Ancrie unsurprisingly locked him in the Crying Game and got the win, and then the two men shook hands. Ancrie has been a face-y heel for the past couple of months, I assume it's after his match against Dubois was a dud, maybe they see him as less useful now which would be a bummer. 

Segment Rating: 55 

MATCH 2: 

Thunder & Lightning vs Team Tough's Lewis Frey and Sterling Whitlock. This match carries a story in it, which is Whitlock keeps going back to the well of I guess martial arts inspired offense, to the detriment of his work, while also urging Lewis Frey to switch things up. Of course as has been customary this year they lost to the more well-oiled machine, and there's not much to say about this match. Lightning picked up the win with an armbar on Frey. I think Thunder & Lightning are the first team that lost to the Canadian Blondes and didn't instantly also lose their next match.

SEGMENT 1: 

After the match, Whitlock scolded Frey for not listening to his advice. This led to them getting physical with each other, and Whitlock challenging Frey to a match at Chamber of Horrors, which the youngster accepting. Do pre-show matches get a build now? 

Segment Rating: 45 

SEGMENT 2: 

Generation Z found The Canadian Blondes in their locker room and made them a proposal: since we know there's a great chance there's interference, let's make the match no DQ! In fact, what about we add something cool to the equation? Basically, they announce that they've already gone to Alex DeColt and he has greenlit a Ladder Match for the tag team titles! The heels are livid realizing they can lose their titles without pins involved, but they trash talk the kids and seethe to close the promo. 

Segment Rating: 47

MATCH 3: 

Joey Poison vs Topher Smith. A fun match, Joey went a bit too methodical in stopping Smith's flurries of offense but this was still a nice matchup with Poison bringing out some of the greatest hits. Topher looked like winning as well, until Joey slipped out the ring and got another vial of mist. Gopher hit his trademark Suicide Dive for a nearfall, but as he picked the veteran up from his head to transition to a move...MIST! But this time, there was something in the mist, as Topher went to the ground in excrutiating pain and Joey Poison got DQ'd because this time the misting couldn't be ignored by the referee I guess. 

SEGMENT 3: 

As Topher was selling the misting, Whippy came out and revealed he had switched out Poison's vials to get an extra advantage ahead of their title match. He then spends a bit of time boasting about how clever and tricky he is and how victory is in his bag...and Mobstar's music hit. The most Hard to the Core person in CGC comes out and announced he has been added to the Canadian Chaos title match, which is now a Three Way I Quit Match. That means it's not just about submissions...but also No DQ! Whippy is the one that got tricked in the end, having to face the consequences of his own actions.

SEGMENT 4: 

A hype video for the Chamber of Horrors world title match and PPV plays, reimagining the 6 men that will battle in the Chamber as different fighting game characters in 2D. Ian DeColt is a sort of shapeshifter, Dusty Ducont the imposing Zangief-like grappler, Atherton an agility-based character, Skip Beau is Canadian Guile due to the hair, Ricky Storm is himself, he's already perfect for this, and Dubois is positioned as the protagonist. There's a lot of fight scenes against generic goons, and a pose-off at the end. 

Segment Rating: 62 

MATCH 4: 

Jamie Atherton & Ian DeColt vs Ricky Storm & Skip Beau. These guys went balls out and had an excellent tag team match full of back and forth action and everyone getting their story ahead of the Chamber in: Ian was less opportunistic than usual, trying to channel his inner DeColt more and more. Jamie was a cocky asshole like usual, Ricky was his counterpoint in his total focus and disdain towards Atherton, and Skip Beau was feeling the pressure to keep up with them and step up on his own. That pressure was his undoing, as he tried to lift both Jamie and Ian for his death valley driver, Jamie slipped out and rolled him up for the win. 

Segment Rating: 77 

MATCH 5: 

Dusty Ducont vs Marc Dubois. Dubois has faced a lot of big men in his day, and already in his half a year of CGC stardom, and this was one of his best matches against one. Ducont is just someone everyone knows is dangerous and who can throw his opponent around effortlessly. It's easy to structure a man around that, especially since he won't get gassed unlike others. So, Dubois kept coming back, getting the crowd on his side, and finally managed to get Ducont "gassed", dodged a wild punch and got him in the Dubious Dubois Pin, a technique from a fairly politically incorrect 00's male model gimmick. Nice contest, although we haven't really gotten a surprise in this build up batch of matches before the PPV. 

Segment Rating: 69 

SEGMENT 5: 

After that match, Dubois gets a microphone and drops a bomb: He wants to start the chamber alongside Ian DeColt, in order to eliminate him and preventing him from getting away with another undeserved victory. Says he wants his title win to be as sweet as possible, and the past 2 months have had only frustration for him. It doesn't matter to him that Alex DeColt has placed an enforcer, he wants to take destiny in his own hands, and lead the company to a new era. 

Segment Rating: 79 

Overall Rating: 70 

NEXT WEEK: THE GO HOME SHOW HEADLINED BY MARC DUBOIS & RICKY STORM VS DUSTY DUCONT & IAN DECOLT!

• Like 2

It's fun to see Joey and Whippy interacting again at the back end of a year they helped launch, and it resulted in an interesting development in the Canadian Chaos story.

It looks like the Chamber of Horrors main event is destined for a huge number based on recent results, including two more here. I'm interested to see where it lands.

Dubois offering to start first is nice continuity having done the same to fight a rival at Last Man Standing. I love how open-ended it is whether it will give him an out for a loss again like it did then, or if Alex DeColt gets his wish.

• Like 1

VIBERT'S VOICE - Ep. 172, Tuesday, Week 3 of December 2018

MATCH 1: 

Curtis Mobstar & Topher Smith vs Dan DaLay & Whippy The Clown. I guess Whippy is out of allies, but Dan actually delivered a solid performance and this match was really fun. Mobstar doesn't trust Smith (or anyone, for that matter) and that played a lot in the flow of the match, with the devious, experienced heels taking advantage any time the crowd would pop for the de facto babyfaces. Dan also took the pin after Mobstar hit him with a chain to the back of the neck when the referee was not looking and Topher Smith hit the Gopher Suicide Dive for the win.

SEGMENT 1: 

After the match, Whippy tried to attack Curtis Mobstar with some sort of clown mallet he was hiding under the ring, but Smith made the save and had a staredown with the other challenger. I guess this was mostly for purposes of not making Topher feel like an afterthought like he arguably did in the past few weeks. However I don't see how Whippy doesn't retain the belt on Friday. 

Segment Rating: 49 

MATCH 2: 

Gahtir Salim vs Zeus Maximillion. Nice little old school technical match between the two. Zeus has apparently earnt some trust for another singles run after he impressed during the Whippy program so picking up some wins after he was mostly losing this year won't hurt. Salim has a long way to go still but he was inoffensive in this match, having a couple great grappling exchanges on the mat. After about 10 minutes, Zeus hit the Thunderbolt (spear) and ended proceedings. 

MATCH 3: 

The Power House Army (Generation Z & Skip Beau vs The Golden Elite (Jamie Atherton & The Canadian Blondes). Now that's what I call a spotfest! An incredibly fast paced match to the point where you didn't even have time to realize Generation Z still look visibly green in the ring. Jamie once again anchored everything, with the level being visibly higher when he was in the ring. At some point, Flip Simkins managed to give Skip his hot tag, but as the Raging Bull was about to win, Dan Draper interfered to save Ozzie Golden from his clutches...but that's when the cavalry arrived! Robin DaLay completely altered the course of things, pushing Draper into Golden and providing distraction for the other Golden Elite members, allowing Skip Beau to hit his Flow Down on Golden for the win!

SEGMENT 2: 

After the match, DaLay said he was sick of seeing Draper being the lackey of the Golden Elite, winning them matches they should be losing. He knew this would be more of the same, so he had to intervene. But before he arrived, he made sure to check in with the boss, and got a treat: a match against Draper for Chamber of Horrors, because Garcia forgot to build any non-title match for this PPV. It's worth it though because the heels were absolutely seething, it was hilarious.

MATCH 4: 

Lewis Frey vs Sterling Whitlock. Whitlock has been acting like a fool ever since he got introduce to Ricky Storm's gimmicky martial arts, but here he just uses his experience to absolutely punk out poor Lewis Frey. He is also doing some kung fu movie taunts in the process, but mostly beating the ever living hell out of him. At some point though, Whitlock tries to end things with a roundhouse kick that Frey dodges, hits a German Suplex and has a lovely comeback sequence that the crowd almost bites on. A few lariats later though, and Whitlock got the win. 

SEGMENT 3: 

After Whitlock won, he was confronted by Alexander Robinson, who explained he had been away on tour in Japan. He mentions his disappointment with Sterling switching to dazzling impracticality, abandoning years of training. Whitlock interrupts him to claim he's becoming a dangerous hybrid and just finding his way to break into stardom, but Robinson cuts to the chase: he can put his money where his mouth is and beat him using this nonsense, or realize he still has work to do. Of course, Whitlock accepts the challenge.

Segment Rating: 58 

SEGMENT 4: 

Ian DeColt cuts a promo before the main event, complaining about the fact that he's not only not getting preferential treatment (he called it champion-like), but also has everything put against him and the fans are celebrating at the prospect of a new champion being crowned. He bets everyone would be outrage if someone who is losing more was put in this unfair situation, with his back against the wall against 5 hungry challengers who all hold a grudge at the fact he's more successful than all of them. But! Not only is he sure he can prevail as a DeColt, he also has tricks up his sleeve that he will use to retain his belt. 

Segment Rating: 68 

MATCH 5: 

Dusty Ducont and Ian DeColt vs Marc Dubois and Ricky Storm. I think they're still hiding tricks for the Chamber of Horrors match, but there's a clear liveliness in the crowd for these main events that gives them a ratings boost. In this one, the story was Ian DeColt abandoning the match at some point claiming he needs to "keep his new tricks secret", and hanging Ducont out to dry. Ricky Storm unceremoniously pinned him a few minutes later after a flurry of kicks that looked absolutely magnificent. The action was amazing here. 

SEGMENT 5:

After the match, Ian rushed back in the ring with his belt attacking the babyfaces, but all that lead to was the other two competitors rushing from backstage and us getting a wild pull-apart brawl to end the show, cutting in the middle with no one left standing. Curiously, no clues mentioned as to what weapons any of them will use at the Chamber of Horrors. 

Segment Rating: 66

Overall Rating: 70

• Like 2

CGC CHAMBER OF HORRORS PREVIEW

CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMBER OF HORRORS MATCH: 

IAN DECOLT (C) VS MARC DUBOIS VS DUSTY DUCONT VS JAMIE ATHERTON VS RICKY STORM VS SKIP BEAU

Oftentimes the battleground of a DeColt and all his enemies, the Chamber of Horrors is a structure that has caused pain and showered Combatants in glory in the past. This year, it's a fresh field full of first timers trying to capture that oh so elusive glory! Ian trying to define the odds as only a true DeColt would, Dubois finally reaching the top in the company he now calls home after he was cheated in October, Ducont showing his gamble to leave USPW has paid off, Atherton to fulfill his promise that is a threat to the ears of most of the fans, Ricky Storm to take the whole scene by, well, you know what, and Skip Beau defending his company and putting the cherry on top of his amazing 2018. Unpredictable chaos to bookend the year of recovery for Canadian Golden Combat! 

CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS LADDER MATCH: GENERATION Z (W/ LIZZIE SPELLMANN) VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C)

We all know the story of the Canadian Blondes' reign of terror in the CGC tag division, but the structure of this match completely changes things. The gutsy youngsters that are Generation Z had a nice little win streak lately that they managed to turn into a title shot after the rest of the division has been mostly dismantled from all the losing (most of it by not-so-fair means) to the two members of the Golden Elite who have begun turning all their wins to partying and endorsements and abandoning their rigorous work ethic that got them here. The ladder match stipulation makes this more unpredictable, as the match could be won by a mindblowing moment of athleticism, rather than Alyx and Flip having to get the biggest three count of their young careers. 

ALEXANDER ROBINSON VS STERLING WHITLOCK 

A classic tale of master vs student. Sterling Whitlock has had a very good 2018, but he clearly wants more. More attention, more wins, more stylepoints. After being dazzled by the impression the martial arts master Ricky Storm has made in the wake of his arrival to CGC, Whitlock has tried to incorporate some Forbidden Eastern techniques to his arsenal with...mixed results. Meanwhile his mentor, who was literally wrestling in Japan at the time, has come back and feels very disappointed by Whitlock losing his steadfast focus in himself and the way he was taught. Will he beat a lesson into his protege, or will we see a new version of Whitlock that is ready to dominate in 2019? 

CGC CANADIAN CHAOS "I QUIT" THREE WAY MATCH: CURTIS MOBSTAR VS TOPHER SMITH VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN (C) 

Whippy has had a lot of issues with Smith, a young high flyer who has the potential to replace his role in the company, to the point where he handpicked him as a challenger in order to beat his ass a third time to send a message. However, Topher seems to be entering this match in great form. That may not be the only big mistake Whippy has made, as with his charade that led to picking Smith as his opponent, he made an enemy out of Curtis Mobstar, the most Hard to the Core man in CGC who has already had some delightful matches contending for the Canadian belt. The Three Way "I Quit" stipulation is very peculiar and makes very difficult to predict who will prevail, but it will surely be a wonderful journey to get there. 

DAN DRAPER VS ROBIN DALAY (w/FAITH)

These two youngsters graduated from the DeColt Power House facility at the same time, but have taken very different paths to get to this point. DaLay tried his luck down the border at RIPW while Draper had to forge his own path in CGC's land of monsters era, mostly getting badly beaten up. But as Robin was returning to CGC, a place where his dad's name value and homegrown status go a long way, Draper found who he wants as a mentor. The devilish Adrian Garcia added him to his agency, the Golden Elite, and since then Draper's mischief has become cruelty and ruthlessness. On the opposite end, DaLay rejected his father's path to be a good guy under the guidance of Faith. There's a lot of parallels between these two, and they will surely clash many more times in the future, but for now, we are only getting a glimpse of what that will be like.

• Like 1

CGC CHAMBER OF HORRORS REPORT

CGC_ChamberOfHorrors.jpg.f369838df3faf0f757f5416c8c8a6629.jpg

Held in the Wolseley Arts Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba 

ATTENDANCE: 4107

PPV BUYS: 32011

MATCH 1: DON DRAPER VS ROBIN DALAY

DapperDannyDraper.jpg.1f03acef96f124345f1976b69d8985c9.jpg VS RobinDaLayjtlant1.jpg.603e069bc476714548fe72ffdfaee1b7.jpg

The PPV opener absolutely overdelivered considering the lack of build and the expectations for these two youngsters. Their combined age is younger than the Canadian Chaos Champion. And yet they had a nice little match that played on the weak story leading in: Draper was doing anything to avoid comeuppance, almost getting no offense in, while Robin just built and built anticipation for the crowdpleasing spots. There could only be one winner here, but that didn't mean it was a squash: Draper used some classic heel tactics like the low-blow into jawbreaker into jackknife pin and the hiding behind the ref to get real close to a huge win, but DaLay overcame those obstacles. He turned around to complain to the ref and argue for a DQ, which allowed Draper to roll him up while holding the tights. Luckily, Faith alerted the ref and he stopped his count before three, saving the integrity of the contest. Draper got pissed and went for some weird headlock move, but DaLay backdrop driver'd him, then hit the DaLay down for a big win. 

Segment Rating: 48 

MATCH 2: CANADIAN CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP TRIPLE THREAT "I QUIT" MATCH: CURTIS MOBSTAR VS TOPHER SMITH VS WHIPPY THE CLOWN 

MobstarWillr0ck2.jpg.3209b77dd62ab899ce8bf88593441984.jpg VS TopherSmithJTLant.jpg.91a6909e5c620209ec99cb5db4ece0ec.jpg VS WhippyTheClownShipshirt2.jpg.7633e425f5b26db975517668c18577ee.jpg

CGCCanadian2.jpg.99756935d486c3c92b8dae17c9e2caf2.jpg

A weird contest. Maybe the stipulation was too loaded, but essentially, they had two matches in one: One was a weapon-filled brawl, another was an indierrific high-flying contest that spilled to the outside. Mobstar didn't want to fight alongside Smith, and Whippy did his best to either always be armed or pit them against each other. However, he got his ass kicked a ton of times during the match, including Mobstar suplexing him on the barricade and just as he got up Topher hitting the Gopher Suicide Dive on him over the barricade, next to the seats. Curtis' way to win the I Quit match was "threaten Whippy with cranial damage" (despite the fact chairshots to the head don't really happen in CGC anymore), while Smith's way was working the head and midsection then slapping in a basic leg lock and hoping for the best. So, perhaps, Whippy's selection of the "I Quit Match" was indeed another brilliant choice by the clown prince of grappling. Aided by a kendo stick, his "Why So Serious?" Lock was enough to make Smith quit due to a dive that he crashed on with Mobstar being too hungry to attack Whippy, inadvertently getting him out of the way in the process. Champ retains.

Segment Rating: 53 

MATCH 3: ALEXANDER ROBINSON VS STERLING WHITLOCK 

AlexanderRobinson.jpg.27b7bc00ab7cf0a4455ad54a1660b9aa.jpg VS SterlingWhitlock.jpg.b1bc80cdfc55774bf843fa970dfad1c8.jpg

You would expect this match to be the most solid old-school contest you'll see a month ago, but Whitlock decided to prove a point and raise the wackiness up to 11. Robinson on the other hand tried to be his most mat-wrestling self, at some point trying to keep a side headlock on for 3-4 minutes straight, causing Whitlock to launch himself to the ropes and force a break... before being promptly brought back in the center of the ring. Despite Sterling's best efforts, that's what most of this was. Until, Sterling caught his mentor with a high jumping kick to the side of the head. Completely changed everything, he begun posing and making high-pitched noises, before making the cardinal sin. He was teasing his lariat, but when it came time to hit, it was chops! The most over move in CGC is no more, and this replacement is clearly NOT as effective. Robinson has taken a beating at the hands of Dread and Mito Miwa, he wasn't even flinching at these chops despite how harsh they sounded. He hit a headbutt on his prodigy, and won with a Canadian Violence Flying European Uppercut. After the match, these two shook hands, but it wasn't quite a reconciliation handshake. Whitlock didn't cheat, the result wasn't disputed, but there was a sense of finality.

MATCH 4: CGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS LADDER MATCH: GENERATION Z VS THE CANADIAN BLONDES (C)

AlyxWinters.jpg.0043bd5a25673e6bff71d70a6616e63d.jpg FlipSimkins.jpg.3c046d334b36ccf2b9edb1081551a18c.jpg

CGCTagTeam2.jpg.373b01c83aa0376df027333b64b26073.jpg

FlashSavage2.jpg.d124206db5a2005ea6a85aabc68f16e5.jpg OzzieGoldenPoputt.jpg.2584f39e239b5cad61ed4c28c89f0923.jpg

These two teams had a fun, inoffensive spotfest. There was a lot of coordinated offense, ridiculous athleticism on display, and the youngsters were allowed to shine as much as possible. That also brought drawbacks however, as there was a couple too many cases when the heels had to wait a tiny bit too long to catch a dive, or Alyx and Flip preferring to do flips instead of winning the match in a couple cases, but overall this was solid enough. A refreshing part of this was no interference on the Golden Elite's side, showing that Generation Z have a long way to go still despite their improvements. Flash retrieved the belts after Ozzie hit the Golden Shower off of a ladder on both zoomers, and the status quo was preserved. 

Segment Rating: 53 

MATCH 5: CGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMBER OF HORRORS MATCH: DUSTY DUCONT VS JAMIE ATHERTON VS IAN DECOLT (C) VS MARC DUBOIS VS RICKY STORM VS SKIP BEAU, W/LEE BENNETT AS OUTSIDE ENFORCER

DustyDucontAsaemon(1).jpg.31b6fce807a47a5c6de3c44b286b99a8.jpg VS JamieAthertonshipshirt.jpg.63dd37f1f790daa3e6dd830da7593da3.jpg VS AaronKnightParker_Stiles.jpg.91c109836af3485f5795ecb1ba8015a4.jpg VS

MarcDuBoisjtlant.jpg.063b84fba411d08d13c6a19a22fa53ce.jpg VS RickyStormShipshirt.jpg.06328c36e77514b22150739ac7fa8af2.jpg VS SkipBeauParker_Stiles.jpg.93f5c7a6d5d2cc7308d033dcafe5b190.jpg

CGCWorld.jpg.44b7549562ada06da0e596a85b96590f.jpg

Before match the fighting game vignette aired again as the match hype package. We begin with Ian DeColt and Marc Dubois in the ring, something that was known of course for a couple weeks. Ian is armed with a replica of the 2000's version of the CGC World title, the "black and gold" version, while Dubois opted for no symbolism just coming in with the ol' reliable steel chair. Dubois' bigger concern was using his 2.5 minutes allocated before the next timed entrance to eliminate the World Champion. Head shots and scrapping grapplework commence and Dubois makes a mistake swinging with his chair before having set the process up enough getting him dazed and Ian hits him with the Wild Ride on the title belt for the nearest two-count you'll ever see in your life! Literally saved by the fact it was two minutes in and he was fresh enough. A bit after the shock and disbelief, it's time for entrant #3: Dusty Ducont. The hulking giant comes in with brass knuckles fitted in his right hand. DeColt and Dubois fight together to avoid the instant loss and knockout contact with Ducont would bring, using chair and title belt and dropkicks before double suplexing him to the chamber floor. However, they're too worried to even proceed their chase and just begin fighting each other, Marc getting a gorgeous nearfall on a Dragon Suplex. Ducont gets up and lariats both of them, then loads his fist. That's when Ricky Storm comes in, sporting nunchucks that he uses to grab Ducont's arm, lock him in an armbar hanging from the turnbuckle and try to remove the brass knuckles. It's super badass, but Ducont would have easily countered into an one-arm powerbomb if not for Dubois hitting him to the back with a chair. After Dusty refuses to tap out, Storm lets go and begins kicking everyone. Chest kicks, roundhouses, dropkicks. He lifts Alex up for the Storm's End, but the champ slips out and tries to hit Steve DeColt's rope-bouncing lariat but he gets speared by Dubois for a nearfall. Fifth to enter is Skip Beau, and the raging bull has a table with him that he uses to smack Ducont on the face with. He then sets it outside the ring. The three babyfaces begin to assault Ian DeColt, but they're playing with the food for a bit too long.

Jamie Atherton enters, with a bag of thumbtacks because "he wanted to get his weapon out of the way". He begins brawling with Ricky Storm while Dubois and Beau are getting ready to eliminate Ian. Marc superkicks DeColt and Skip Beau gets him up on his shoulders and exits the ring to get by the table. Dubois poses and Beau gets ready to hit the Flow Down...when Ducont runs up, having recovered his brass knuckles and promptly knocks him out, and pins him. DeColt crawls away towards his replica belt, while Dubois hits a springboard senton on him to have an advantage before the giant gets up. Atherton and Storm's brawl by the way is frighteningly evenly matched, as Atherton's freshness helps him dodge most strikes coming his way. Ian DeColt saves Ducont to repay his favor and gets Dubois off him. Ducont wants to knock everyone out and doesn't care about alliances...which causes an alliance against him. The next three minutes are mayhem of an 1v4. Everyone hits their finishers on Dusty Ducont, and he kicks out of them, so they have to use all their weapons on him to finally get him out of there. Four remain, and it's DeColt and Atherton against Storm and Dubois as whatever counts for "natural team-ups". In practice it's everyone against everyone, with Atherton getting his ass kicked from the nunchuck-sporting Storm while DeColt and Dubois continue from where they had left off. 

Ricky Storm hits a roundhouse on Atherton but it's not enough. He tries to lock a kneebar but Atherton manages to turn it into a pinning predicament that almost gets the English Kung Fu master. On the other side, Dubois almost gets his own pin on Ian and his failure to do so makes him change his tune- he decides to help Ricky Storm, but that's a bad decision. He lacks the killer instinct to go over there with his chair, so when Ian DeColt recovers, the heels have a big advantage. This leads to a situation where Ian DeColt hits the Identity Theft on Storm on the chamber floor after Atherton has confiscated the nunchucks, which is a de facto victory. Three remain. Meanwhile, in the ring, DeColt had talked Atherton into spilling the thumbtucks- Dubois was basically knocked out on his feet anyway, let him taste pain before the two duke it out. Jamie raises Dubois in the Dangerous Brainbuster position, but Dubois manages to counter into a Falcon Arrow! Atherton's scream is heard around Canada, and it's definitely the first thumbtack spot in the company since...95'? No one since Larry Vessey was crazy enough for it anyway. Ian DeColt observes the mine field of thumbtacks and simply decides to let Atherton lose while he goes to retrieve his title belt. Atherton kicks out of the Falcon Arrow and even tries to hit a Spike Frankensteiner on the tacks as revenge, but he doesn't have the energy and he's bleeding out. Dubois eventually hits the Mark of Excellence and pins him. 

Then there were two, and it's the two that started it all. And it starts with a belt shot to the back of the Quebecois' head. 1...2...Dubois kicks out! What begins after that can only be described as a signature fest. DeColt wants to hit the Wild Ride again, he can't. Dubois wants the superkick, it misses, so DeColt has an opportunity to hit Alex Decolt's Straitjacket Driver, but he lands on the thumbtacks so he can't cover quickly enough. He looks for the brass knuckles but realizes: Dusty Ducont was stretchered out with them, with Bennett making sure that was the case. Frantically looking for more weapons within him, he pulls out one he didn't know he have: The Stone Ankle Stretch! Turning heel on his family name(?), he screams for Marc Dubois to tap out, for this to be over... but he hasn't worked the ankle at all, the fool! Dubois rolls through, and the match continues with Marc in control: Corner Splash, Flapjack, Swinging Neckbreaker on the thumbtacks, and locks in the Model Solution, making Ian tap out and winning the CGC World Championship!

Segment Rating: 71 

ENDING SEGMENT: DUBOIS SHORT PROMO 

The two men need help exiting the chamber, but Dubois shakes it off and poses on the ramp with the belt. He gets given a microphone by production and he leaves his message short and sweet. A new age has arrived for CGC, one that requires them to become protagonists on the wrestling scene. He promises he's here to carry the company into fame and glory, by forcing everyone to look to the future instead of the past like the champions before him. He thanks everyone for their support, and dedicates his fight against tonight's combatants and his personal demons to the fans who have kept him going through the darkest. On to the brightest lights!

Segment Rating: 70 

Overall Rating: 68

CGC.jpg.ab7c0d039b9330efea36660c796c62a8.jpg

NEXT UP: MERRY CHRISTMAS CGC, WITH A VERY SPECIAL JOLLY GUEST!

Edited by AboardTheArk
  • Like 3

Congratulations on another strong PPV. As much as Atherton has been one of my favourites from the start and there's still lots of fun to be had with the DeColt story, I think going with Dubois now is the right fit for the behind-the-scenes story. It's probably what he felt he was borderline promised when signed and made figurehead and, from Garcia's point of view, if he goes with the boss on this one and it doesn't go well, it gives him more leverage to push his preferred direction in future.

It wouldn't work every month, but I like how having the massive six-man main event gave you an opportunity to give more exposure to others on the undercard like Robin DaLay (of course I'll never tire of Whippy in such spots either). Looking forward to the Christmas show and congratulations on almost completing a year.

• Like 1

CGC TITLE BOUT WRESTLING CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

LIVE from Saskatoon, SA

SEGMENT 1: TITLE CELEBRATION GETS CRASHED

Merry Christmas! Title Bout Wrestling opens in as festive a mood as is possible, with your NEW CGC World Champion Marc Dubois coming out to the adoration of the crowd. He begins thanking everyone for the support and faith they've had in him since the first moment he stepped foot in CGC, an outsider, a man without home who had failed everyone around him. He also mentions that this is the last time he'll look to the disgraceful past. Him winning the big one signals that both he and the company are now looking towards paving a glorious future for everyone in the roster. Before he can continue though, he is interrupted by THE JOLLIEST MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, THE BIG MAN HIMSELF, SANTA CLAUS (Tim Westybrook)! Santa is very sorry to interrupt the party, but he says there's an emergency: The naughty or nice list has been stolen from the North Pole, and his trackers say that it's here, in this very building! He asks Dubois and the whole crowd for help, in order for Christmas to be saved. They oblige. 

Segment Rating: 69 

MATCH 1: CLAUSE REED VS GAHTIR SALIM 

It seems like the scheduled show did not have the same sense of urgency as everyone else about CHRISTMAS BEING IN DANGER, but the worry was clear in Clause Reed's face who was not in elite mentality. In contrast, Salim was unbothered and ready to fight (not because he's Indian, because he's a heel). This made this contest quite back and forth, more than expected with their respective standings in the roster. Nevertheless, Reed's determination to make Christmas a little brighter in the face of overwhelming danger persevered in the end, as he hit the Log Saw for the win! 

Segment Rating: 39 

SEGMENT 2: THE NAUGHTIEST

The camera gets in the locker room of the Golden Elite, where Jamie Atherton is beaming with Adrian Garcia alongside him and the other three members of the Golden Elite sitting around. Atherton boasts that with Garcia's help, they have stolen the naughty or nice list, and they're going to place Atherton as the #1 nicest person in the world for the year 2018, so that he gets a guarantee into what his heart wants most: the CGC World Championship. He thanks Adrian for his help and Garcia laughs it off and just mentions he "knows the right people for a job like that". As they laugh maniacally there's a knock on their door. New Comissioner Lee Bennett comes in, points to the camera and informs them that the possession of the list is on the line in TONIGHT'S main event, in a 6 man tag match. 

Segment Rating: 71

MATCH 2: DAN DALAY AND KILLER KARSON VS STEVIE GRAYSON AND SPENCER EDMUND

Edmund's debut for CGC, the youngster is wearing a green elf hat and is treated as a bit of a joke by the heels. The match revolves around DaLay and Karson bullying the two undersized babyfaces, but with a bit of a spotlight casted on Spencer's tenacity and agility/evasiveness. At the end though, fighting spirit isn't enough on its own, and DaLay essentially gave him a wedgie into the DaLay Down for the win. 

SEGMENT 3: NEW CREW 

After the match, DaLay mentions that he's officially taking Karson under his wing because the CGC has gotten too full with dorks and he doesn't have the energy he once had to keep them all in check. Karson glees and taunts the losing team. 

Segment Rating: 39

MATCH 3: CHRISTMAS STREET FIGHT - RICKY STORM VS ALISTAIR SHUFFLEBOTTOM 

A bit of a comedic exhibition for Storm's skills, everyone knows this one has only one way it will end, nevertheless it lasts a while, it's fun and Alistair gets a tiny bit of offense as well, enough to remind people he's an actual wrestler instead of a ragdoll. But already too many words have been written for this match. Ricky Storm knocked him out with a one inch punch. 

Segment Rating: 61 

SEGMENT 4: STRATEGIZING 

We see the group of Alex DeColt, Santa Claus, Lee Bennett and Marc Dubois exchanging ideas on who should be a part of "team Christmas" in the main event. After a lot of debating, speculating and theorizing, they decide there is a clear cut choice: SKIP BEAU should represent Team Christmas! He appears with a bottle of egg nog and Christmas cheer, ready to contribute.

Segment Rating: 64 

MATCH 4: CHRISTMAS BATTLE ROYAL 

This WOULD have been the main event if the show went on as normal. Dusty Ducont vs Joey Poison vs Ant-Man vs Zeus Maximillion vs Brett Fraser vs Curtis Mobstar. It was a lot of just teasing the crowd that the faces will be eliminated by Ducont then it not happening. The 4+1 good guys ganged up on the villain and threw him out, then had a mini spotfest. Joey Poison came out on top, last throwing out Ant-Man in a crowdpleasing affair. 

MATCH 5: JAMIE ATHERTON & THE CANADIAN BLONDES VS MARC DUBOIS, SANTA CLAUS & SKIP BEAU

This was amazing. This was wrestling. Good vs Evil. Giving vs Taking. High Flyers vs Canadian Wrestling Royalty. Atherton vs Santa Claus especially was a battle for the ages. Team Elite fought really hard to ruin everyone's night and holidays, even having Dan Draper bring out a glass candy cane that they tried to break on Santa's head, but he dodged and it broke on impact on the steel ringpost. This enraged Beau who fought off all the Golden Elite members on his own with reckless abandon, which allowed Dubois to roll Atherton in the ring. That allowed Santa to teach him a couple things about being naughty- no, to give him a well deserved spanking- no, to set things straight against the villains with a thunderous twisting spinebuster. Dubois also hit a Frog Splash before allowing ol' Saint Nick to get the winning pin, in the Match of the Year. 

Segment Rating: 79 

SEGMENT 5: PAYBACK IS A PLATE BEST SERVED WHEN IT HURTS?

After the match, Alex DeColt came out to address Jamie Atherton, and inform him that these two are not done yet. No, in fact, he has not even gotten to make him retire. For you see, at Elimination, Alex DeColt is seizing his fate, and is going to team up with Skip Beau and Robin DaLay against the Golden Elite in a 3 on 3 Elimination Match! Merry Christmas you punk!

Show Rating: 75

• Like 4

WELL...

The save file got corrupted as I was going to begin writing the final show of the year. 

Luckily for everyone, I had already converted the save into a separate database to make the changes with the two shows etc.

So we're still continuing and the worst has been avoided. 

Consider the last show a best-of of the year clip compilation, and expect the big one-year retrospective posts to begin in the next few days!