CGC: Dawn of DeColt Country [CVerse 1997]

38 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

This has been bugging me for a while but who would the decolt's real world counterparts be, the harts or the von Erich's?

I can be either. Or neither. Or both. It depends on how you want to book them. Personally I lean more towards the Von Erichs. Like Fritz Von Erich, George DeColt was a major heel (flamboyant "Gorgeous" gimmick, instead of evil German) who settled into a specific region (Western Canada, instead of Texas) to become a beloved local figure. He raised his sons there, and started a wrestling promotion that those sons became the stars of.

How is that different from Stu Hart? How is that different from the Stone Family? I don't know. I guess because the Stones feel more like a more fitting fantasy version of the Harts, it's a better contrast to lean into the Von Erich elements for the DeColts. They're big. They brawl. The Iron Claw finish, which I believe is part of the 1977 mod, is something I'm using for the rookie DeColts. I always imagined young Ricky DeColt wrestling barefoot, like Kevin Von Erich.  

Of course, there's nowhere near as much tragedy to the DeColt Family. There's a defection and a divorce and Alex goes off the deep end (I think getting institutionalized is part of a non-canon mod). Ricky breaks his foot as some point. That'll teach him not to wear boots.

I almost went to see The Iron Claw movie. I wonder if it would influence my writing.

image.png

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Jerome Turner "Welcome everyone to another exciting episode of Title Bout Wrestling! We're three weeks away from WrestleFestival where Eric Tyler challenges for the CGC World Title, and I'm joined tonight by the champion himself, Steve DeColt, and his... friend?"
Emma "Oh my gosh this is the best date ever! I can't believe I'm actually here. Is my headset really plugged in? Can everyone hear me? Hi Mom!"
Steve DeColt "Eric Tyler may have scored himself a date with Stunning Steve at WrestleFestival, but he needs to prove he deserves it. My brother Jack can't wait to show him some DeColt justice, especially after his thugs took the Tag Team Titles last week." 

image.jpeg

LOCKER ROOM

image.jpeg

ERIC TYLER
Steve DeColt thinks he has set a challenge before me, when 
in fact he has given me a gift. A chance to share the ring with
 one of the most promising young wrestlers in the world today.
A chance to impart my wisdom, as a competitor and a mentor.
 Jack may not see me that way, but oh the things I am going
 to teach him tonight. No brothers to get in my way. No father
 to poison his mind. Tonight, I sit Jack under my learning tree
 and give him a true lesson in tradition. 

image.jpeg

/w Helen Wheels LAND MASS & MAMMOTH VS CONDOR & TEMPEST APPLEBY /w Jake Sloan
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Emma "Land Mass and Mammoth are huge! How are the two little guys gonna beat them?"
Steve DeColt "If anyone can find a way, it's Jake Sloan. Defying the odds is what he does best." 

Condor and Tempest are severely undersized, but Jake advises them to stick together with quick tags and double teams, and to never stop moving. It works. They run rings around Mammoth! They exhaust Land Mass! Helen is furious, trying to get Jake kicked out of ringside, before trying to trip Tempest. Helen only succeeds in getting herself kicked out, but causes enough of a distraction that Tempest gets squashed with a Ten Ton Avalanche. 1. 2. 3.

LAND MASS & MAMMOTH WIN (5:57)

image.jpeg

BACKSTAGE

image.jpeg     image.jpeg

BLACK SHEEP is trying to light a cigarette under a No Smoking sign, but his lighter isn't working. Little does he know that JOHN McCLEAN is spying on him from the shadows.

JOHN McCLEAN
That's right, you animal. Enjoy your sin sticks. Mr Whipper will
 surely fire you once he sees this flagrant rule breaking.

image.jpeg

Before he can light up, a MYSTERIOUS WOMAN approaches BLACK SHEEP. They talk in whispers, and Black Sheep hands her a wad of cash, before leading her inside. 

JOHN McCLEAN
Scandal! I've got you now!

image.jpeg

DECOLT LOCKER ROOM

image.jpegimage.jpeg

JULIE FORLETTA interviews ALEX DECOLT.

JULIE FORLETTA
 Last week you and your brother Jack lost the Tag Team Titles. How 
are you feeling?

ALEX DECOLT
Like I let everyone down. Which is exactly what I did.
I wanted to follow in my father's foosteps. I wanted
me and Jack to be like the Calgary Wolverines, but my
Dad never ran from a bully. Whipper Spencer Marks
never abandoned his partner when he needed him.
Maybe I don't-

image.jpeg

DAN DALAY kicks through the door and levels Alex with a big boot. Julie runs for safety. 

DAN DALAY
C'mere dweeb! You look thirsty.

He drags a stunned and struggling Alex to the bathroom and shoves his head into the toilet, flushing to give him a swirly. Julie returns with Security, who struggle to pull the giant away. 

Alex coughs and splutters and gasps for breath, utterly humiliated.

image.jpeg

BARRY BOWEN VS HOWLING DOG

Steve DeColt "Barry Bowen came tantalizingly close to scoring a date with yours truly at WrestleFestival, and he blames Howling Dog for denying him the pleasure of my company."

Bowen smashes Dog into the turnbuckles before he's even finished his war dance. 

Emma "Boo! What a cheap shot!"

Dog tries to go on the warpath, but the train has already left the station. Mighty blows. Powerful slams. Bowen's picking up steam, and no amount of courage can slow him down. Dog unleashes desperation tomahawk chops, but Bowen's a Runaway Train! The Train Wreck (High Velocity Shoulder Tackle) sends Dog tumbling out of the ring, where Bowen is happy to continue the punishment. He repeatedly hurls him into the barricades. Into the ring post. Referee Andy Gordy threatens a disqualification, but Bowen doesn't care. He prepares to powerbomb Dog through the announce table, and that's when Steve DeColt gets in his face. 

Steve DeColt "Don't you dare! You pick him up I put you down."
Emma "Oooh. Is he going to get suspended again?"

Bowen pauses, suddenly having second thoughts... and that's when Dog backdrops him through the announce table! Steve just barely pulls Emma out of harm's way.

NO CONTEST  (6:09)

Security and doctors flood in to check on the fighters and keep them apart. Howling Dog rolls back in the ring, fired up and willing to fight, even though he can barely stand. Bowen's hurt, but still manages to shove away any doctor foolish enough to get close. 

Jerome Turner "We apologise, folks. This one got out of hand and obviously it cannot continue. No winner tonight, but I don't think we've see the last of these two in the ring."

image.jpeg

PARKING LOT

image.jpegimage.jpeg

JOHN McCLEAN is once again spying on BLACK SHEEP, who is meeting with a Shady Individual in the parking lot. Money is exchanged, and Black Sheep picks up a mysterious crate from the back of the Individual's van.

McClean takes more pictures.

image.jpeg

Jerome Turner "Last night the stars or CGC were in Lloydminster, Alberta. Here's what you missed."
Emma "My Uncle's from Lloydminster!"

A furious ROCKY PSYCHO hammers TED MOORE with punches until the referee calls for the bell. TKO!

Roger Rogers cheers on his hired gun; NELSON BLAIS, but ED MONTON catches a crossbody and hits a Fallaway Slam for the pin. 

image.jpeg

CGC TELEVISION TITLE MATCH
 image.png
MOOSE MULDER VS DAN DALAY /w Eric Tyler
image.pngimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Steve DeColt "I remember this Dan DaLay from school. Even kids in my class were afraid of him, but Alex always got it worst."
Emma "Moose Punch! Moose Punch! Moose Punch!"

Finally picking on someone (almost) his own size, DaLay needs more advice from his teacher than usual, only managing to overpower Moose with handful of hair. DaLay bullies his ever-so-slightly smaller opponent around the ring with wedgies and purple nurples, but Moose is a grown man. He goes on a rampage with some burly brawling, but Tyler instructs DaLay to duck the Moose Punch and hit a Big Boot! 1... 2... 3!

DAN DALAY RETAINS (6:02)

Jerome Turner "A formidable monster, learning from the most devious man in CGC. Can anyone stop Dan DaLay?" 

image.jpeg

DECOLT LOCKER ROOM

image.jpegimage.jpeg

A forlorn ALEX DECOLT sits in the locker room, watching DaLay's celebration on a monitor. GEORGE DECOLT sits down next to him.

GEORGE DECOLT
I'm not going to make you fight him, Alex. You're your own
 man. You make your own decisions. But I think you should. And
 once the fists start flying and the sweat gets in your eyes you'll
 stop seeing him as that punk kid who made your teenage years hell.
 He'll be just like every other opponent you've faced. He's big, but
 you've fought bigger. He's tough but you've beat tougher. He's got 
Tyler on his side, but you've got your old man. I could never help
 you with your homework, but you should listen to me now.
Fight him. Or you'll spend your whole life running. 

image.jpeg

BACKSTAGE

image.jpegimage.jpeg

JOHN McCLEAN practically drags an irritated WHIPPER SPENCER MARKS through backstage towards a particular locker room door.

JOHN McCLEAN
Come, Mr Whipper. I believe I have caught that dastardly wretch
 Black Sheep engaged in most duplicitous acts. I believe narcotics
 are involved. A woman of ill-repute! I have tailed him all night, 
and it all leads to this door. I insist that you see for yourself,
 so Black Sheep can get the punishment he deserves!

With a sigh, Whipper knocks, but that's not good enough for McClean, he barges through the door to find...

A Child's Birthday Party, with BLACK SHEEP signing autographs and BATTERING LAMB giving piggy-back rides to the happy children. The Mysterious Woman? A CLOWN. The object in the mysterious crate. A fabulous birthday cake. 

JOHN McCLEAN
What? No. This is... He's up to something, Mr Whipper. I'll find it!

McClean attempts to search the room, but immediately trips and falls into the cake, destroying it. The birthday boy cries. Battering Lamb is furious. 

image.jpeg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Saturday Week 2 March - CGC Live! in Lethbridge, Alberta
Saturday Week 3 March - CGC Live! in Kelowna, British Columbia
Sunday Week 3 March - TITLE BOUT WRESTLING in Langley, British Columbia
Sunday Week 4 March - THE DECOLT WRESTLEFESTIVAL in Red Deer, Alberta
Sunday Week 1 April - TITLE BOUT WRESTLING in Langley, British Columbia
Saturday Week 2 April - CGC Live! in Slave Lake, Alberta
Saturday Week 3 April - CGC Live! in Cranbrook, British Columbia

image.jpeg

ED MONTON
Roger Rogers had a surprise waiting for me in Lloydminster,
and I'm sure he'll have another one for me this Saturday in
Lethbridge. I told him I won't stand for his dirty tricks, and I
aim to be a man of my word. In every town and city in Canada.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ERIC TYLER VS JACK DECOLT

Steve DeColt "I know I'm ready for WrestleFestival, but is Eric Tyler? He stole the victory in the No.1 contender's match. Let's see if he can handle the Teen Titan, Jack DeColt."
Emma "Tyler seems excited. Should he be excited?"

Jack attacks with amateur wrestling takedowns and mat-based submission attempts, but Tyler isn't taken by surprise. He has Jack well scouted. Blocking, countering, then condescendingly offering to teach young Jack those same blocks and counters. Frustrated at the 'lessons', Jack gets impetuous, and Tyler takes him to school, teaching him a lesson using every trick in the book. Eye-gouging. Hair-pulling. Cheating behind the referee's back while explaining to Jack exactly how he's doing it. 

Jack explodes with Flying Shoulder Tackles and Suplexes. Canadian Backbreaker! Tyler begs off, and the boy scout falls for it. Sucker Punch! Tradition Lift (Double Chicken Wing)! No stranger to submissions, Jack escapes, and honours his father with the Iron Claw! Tyler twists, he turns, he rolls through! 1... 2... 3!

ERIC TYLER WINS (11:27)

Eric Tyler celebrates as Steve DeColt checks on Jack, who is unhurt but furious with the outcome. 

ERIC TYLER
Settle down and listen up. Jack, you were a difficult student, but 
I think you learned a valuable lesson here tonight. Your family
 traditions are only going to take you so far. If you want to make
 it to the top, you'd be a fool not to join me. Next week, Steve's
 got a lesson to learn, and I've picked the perfect substitute 
teacher to act in my stead. Steve DeColt's opponent will 
be.... Jack DeColt!

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg

SUNDAY WEEK 1 MARCH 1997
Edmonton, Alberta (600 in attendance)
Broadcast on Alberta On Air (3,976) and BCB (4,128). Combined Rating <0.01

• Eric Tyler Promo   70
  • LAND MASS & MAMMOTH VS CONDOR & TEMPEST   39
  • McClean spies on Black Sheep    35
  • DaLay attacks Alex   46                
  • BARRY BOWEN VS HOWLING DOG   50
  • McClean spies on Black Sheep more   33
  • Lloydminster Highlights   40        
  • MOOSE MULDER VS DAN DALAY   47
  • George gives his son advice   71
  • McClean confronts Black Sheep   42
  • Upcoming Events with Ed Monton 50
  • ERIC TYLER VS JACK DECOLT   66
  • Eric Tyler Promo   68
  • FINAL SHOW RATING   66

The best episode of television yet, which shouldn't be surprising. It had a match with the best wrestler (Tyler is on fire) and a segment with the best talker (George DeColt is easy mode). The lowlights were also less low than usual, as this was the best Land Mass & Mammoth performance yet.

In The Flock news, Black Sheep has decided to move to Vancouver, which is pretty great news for me. I can now use him on all of the live events without paying for him to travel across the border. He's an ideal live event act. To celebrate, Battering Lamb... started stress eating and gained 40lbs of pure fat? He's now a flabby heavyweight, tanking his star quality and sex appeal. I didn't see this coming. It probably won't change much of his future booking (short term) but I might have to switch up his move set.

image.jpeg

Next time on Title Bout Wrestling...

CGC World Title Match: Jack DeColt vs Steve DeColt
Hollywood Johnny Maverick vs Eddie Chandler
John McClean vs Battering Lamb

Edited by Self
Missed a Section
  • Like 4

Jack DeColt

You had said you wanted to go canon with the game in a previous post about Dan DaLay, however, you said it wasn't possible there. Here it is, as Jack does win the CGC World title for the second time in March 1997. Personally, I'd prefer if Steve kept it, I think he's actually the best of the three DeColts and the fact that Steve has only won the CGC title once (same as Jack, Alex hasn't held it yet, and Jack was the first DeColt to hold it which is wild) makes no sense to me. Steve should keep it in storyline, in canon, it's different, I'll take canon for now

Hollywood Johnny Maverick 

He has more about him in terms of usefulness. Good worker, can be built up, the hollywood thing makes him stand out (kind of), Eddie is really just learning his craft, he's not the worker, performer or entertainer he would become yet.

Battering Lamb

Lamb is in the bad books now, but I still feel he wins here. 

I actually was shocked when Jack was chosen but then I was like, didn't Jack win the belt around this time in canon and indeed he did. Shame about Lamb. He's quite a good worker and future heel opponent for any of the DeColts. Black Sheep has been pretty good as well so cool to see him move closer. Also, is that Emma Chase in the booth as Steve's date? If so, that's cool. Thought she was a great addition, the "Hi mom", the "Moose Punch!" and just generally fun quips to cheer the babyfaces. Good Stuff.

• Like 1

Next time on Title Bout Wrestling...

Should be a great match. I'm going for Jack to win, as his loss last week feels like a set up for him to learn and overcome those shortcomings when it matters the most at WrestleFestival. 
Bit of a coin flip, but Maverick is probably slightly more established.
McClean's primary issues seem to be with Black Sheep, and Lamb has just gained a lot of weight - so expecting John to clean up here.

• Like 1

CGC World Title Match: Jack DeColt vs Steve DeColt
Why would the World title switch on a Free TV Show?
Hollywood Johnny Maverick vs Eddie Chandler
Maverick is more established.
John McClean vs Battering Lamb
This will give McClean momentum for his match against Black Sheep.

I also love the fact that Emma Chase maybe on Colour Commentary.

• Like 1

Great show all together! Loved Emma Chase being Steve's next girl on commentary, curious if she'll stick around.

McClean & Black Sheep's, Elmer Fudd & Bugs Bunny esque relationship is enjoyable. Though I did question why John was taking photos of something that was being recorded on television. 

Barry Bowen v Howling Dog came out well. Bowen likely would've won if his anger didn't get the better of him. Continuing to assault Dog on the outside was his downfall. Then hinting at him vs Steve was a good bit a subtelty. They're not going after each other now but eventually. I assume this will lead to a rematch perhaps with a stipulation at Wrestle Festival.

I appreciate the story for the house show being Rogers having a hired gun to take on Monton.

Alex DeColt has become a total dweeb against DaLay. I hope to see him stand up and fight back soon. That's what I assume the pep talk from his dad was for. Now they'll fight one on one with Steve in Alex's corner. One line I noted from Steve on the matter was that Alex always got i the worst. In my head I'm thinking why didn't Steve help him?

I am amazed how you get these Carnival ads to look so similar in ambience of the park and the style of the wrestlers themselves.

I was almost expecting Jack to win when he got the Iron Claw, but Tyler losing right before his big title match would've been questionable especially without any out for him. The plot twist of Jack v Steve was shocking but fits so well. Dave pointing out that in canon Jack winning the strap in March does lean me towards him getting the W, but storyline reasons make me want Steve to keep it. Perhaps a loss might drive a wedge between the brothers. Very intrigued for next week!

• Like 1

That was indeed a very young Emma Chase on commentary. Usually I use my imagination when it comes to Steve's girlfriends, and don't hire anyone to fill the role, but you can't just throw random bystanders on live commentary. So Emma was ideal. Unfortunately, Stunning Steve doesn't really do second dates, so this was probably just a cameo.

In one of my private games I did fully hire her early on, and I think it ruined her career. She moved to Vancouver, lasted a couple of years on my roster before some relationship issues, and then never really worked again. Almost felt like I broke the universe. CGC became a place where promising careers go to die, not a stepping stone to the big leagues. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

McClean & Black Sheep's, Elmer Fudd & Bugs Bunny esque relationship is enjoyable. Though I did question why John was taking photos of something that was being recorded on television. 

Alex DeColt has become a total dweeb against DaLay. I hope to see him stand up and fight back soon. That's what I assume the pep talk from his dad was for. Now they'll fight one on one with Steve in Alex's corner. One line I noted from Steve on the matter was that Alex always got i the worst. In my head I'm thinking why didn't Steve help him?

I am amazed how you get these Carnival ads to look so similar in ambience of the park and the style of the wrestlers themselves.

I'd love to say it's simply because John McClean is an idiot, but it's one of those 'invisible camera' tropes the sports entertainers love. I try to avoid it, but it's what I grew up with. It'll sneak in when I'm not looking.

I almost re-wrote the Steve line to something like "I never knew how bad Alex had it" and I probably should have. As is... Steve in kayfabe was probably too busy with girls, and Steve in 'real life' is inexperienced in commentary and said something that didn't make him look so good. He's actually struggling a lot with unscripted promos on live events. Gets far more penalties than his brothers when winging it. 

For the posters, AI is a heck of a tool. It helps that I generate dozens of images for each potential poster ideas and only choose what fits the best... but really I can't take credit. It's AI. I just type some words and click 'generate' a bunch. It's producing pictures I genuinely love and I'm not sure I'd even be writing this project without them., but they aren't my word. Beyond a little photoshop to add the relevant logos.  

• Like 1

Having Jack win would throw a weird wrench in everything you've been building so far, but Jack doesn't really have a clear destination for Wrestle Festival so far, so a triple threat could be interesting. Still, I'm not talking myself into it, Steve retains.

I'm really not sure here. I think Maverick, but only because it feels like he's been on tv more recently?

McClean has has issues with Lamb's tag team partner, so McClean beats Lamb to set up the match with Black Sheep. That's how wrestling works, right?

Definitely the latter. 

I start with a spreadsheet, where I plot everything out. The matches. The angles. Making sure the stories stay active. Following the rules and guidelines I've set for myself. Ensuring wrestlers wrestle enough... but not too much. Gotta have comedy. A title match. A good main event. Not too many tag matches. Not too many heel wins. It's a constantly moving jigsaw. It's how I 'see' where I'm going. I love spreadsheets. 

Next I create a Wordpad document for each episode. I'll add the images first, then I just write whatever segment appeals to me when I'm in a writing mood. Maybe I have some good promo ideas, so I'll write those for episode 5 and 9. Maybe I'm in an Alex DeColt mood, so I'll write all of his singles matches for the next two months. Maybe I want to buckle down and focus on episode 10. Or just rewrite a bunch of matches to add more puns. It's a pure scattershot approach, held together by the path set for me with the spreadsheet. 

I currently have 16 active wordpad documents (up to episode 24) although some of them only have a couple of pictures in them. All subject to change. 

TEW is usually the last thing I do, because the above is constantly shifting and changing right up until showtime. Running the show in TEW would just lock me into things. Back me into a corner. Maybe I suddenly realise a match would be better with a different winner. Or maybe that babyface promo should be bumped to next week. Maybe I can't find the words for an Eric Tyler promo this week and cut it entirely. Very rarely does running the show in TEW change anything that requires a rewrite. Writing always changes something regarding the booking in TEW.

• Like 4

- sports entertainment style no contest. if I had to pick one to win I'd say Steve wins but I think that the School of Tradition let them fight long enough to weaken both (maybe weaken their relationship a little too ...intrigue?) before doing some damage.

- just seems Maverick is further ahead right now.

- You have made both McClean and Black Sheep two of my favourite characters here, I love their dynamic. We serve up a sacrificial lamb here to service the larger story.

image.png

image.jpeg

Jerome Turner "Tonight, Steve DeColt fights an opponent of Eric Tyler's choosing, and the Headmaster of the School of Tradition has made an unexpected choice; Steve's own brother. Does Jack DeColt have what it takes to win the CGC World Title? Eric Tyler would know better than anyone"

image.jpeg

FLASHBACK: TITLE BOUT WRESTLING
SUNDAY WEEK 3 APRIL 1996
(11 MONTHS AGO)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg          image.jpeg

Resplendent in gold trunks, CGC World Champion ERIC TYLER beats the hell out of young JACK DECOLT as his father George watches with concern from ringside. Tyler taunts the DeColt Patriarch, demanding he throw in the towel for his son, getting distracted before- Jack charges! O'Connor Roll! 1... 2... 3! New Champion! Eric Tyler can't believe it! 

image.jpeg

IN-RING

image.jpegimage.jpeg

A piercing School Bell rings, and ERIC TYLER walks to the ring, guarded by the hulking DAN DALAY.

ERIC TYLER
Settle down and listen up. School is now in session. Today's lesson
 is about Choices. I could have chosen any member of the roster to 
fight Steve DeColt tonight. I could have sent my Soldiers. I could have
 sent my prize student. But I didn't. And why? Because I believe in
 Jack DeColt. One year ago, Jack DeColt scored the upset of the 
century, but he snatched more than just the CGC World Title from
 around my waist. He snatched my attention. His brothers have
 proven unworthy but Jack DeColt is a sportsman. A competitor. 
I felt it a year ago, and I felt it being in the ring with him last week. 
With the right opportunities, and the right guidance, he could be
 the best the world has ever seen. He just needs to-

image.jpeg

ALEX DECOLT's music interrupts. He walks out into the entrance way, microphone in hand. 

ALEX DECOLT
Whatever you're planning, Tyler, it's not going to work. DeColts
don't break. That goes for my brothers, and that goes for me too. 
Dan DaLay. You made my life miserable in school, and you're
 just as much of a bully as you ever were. You haven't changed
 a bit... but I have. I'm bigger now. Stronger. I've taken down
 giants before, and in two weeks at the DeColt WrestleFestival... 
I'm going to kick your ass!

ERIC TYLER
Strong words... but it's a little hard to hear you from way over
 there. Why don't you get a little closer? Why don't you try saying
that to Dan DaLay's face? 

Alex is unsure. He wasn't expecting this.

ERIC TYLER
In fact. Why even wait for WrestleFestival? Why don't you put 
your money where your mouth is and "kick Dan DaLay's ass" 
right here, right now? He'll even give you the first shot. 

Fighting every instinct in his body, but fired up by the support of the crowd, Alex DeColt gets into the ring. DaLay doesn't move a muscle, he just smirks, hands behind his back. 

ERIC TYLER
Go ahead. Show us how big and strong you are.

Alex squares up to DaLay... he fires up and throws a right hand that- DaLay blocks it. BOOM! DaLay rocks him with a haymaker and gets the mount, raining down blows on his panicking victim. Security flood in to separate the two. 

ERIC TYLER
Let that be a lesson to you, Alex. See you at WrestleFestival.

image.jpeg

/w Roger Rogers DIRTY FRANK VS ED MONTON
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.png

Jerome Turner "Roger Rogers has been trying to soften up Ed Monton before WrestleFestival, and... Hold on, I'm being joined by Eric Tyler."
Eric Tyler "Correction. You're being graced with the presence of Eric Tyler. I want a front row seat to all of tonight's action."

Rogers is delighted to make his former client suffer such a stinky opponent, Ed holds his nose and gets on with it, throwing hands with the pudgy youngster. Frank tries to suffocate the former Enforcer with his arm pit, but double tough Monton responds with patriotic fury! Side Canadian Legsweep! Canadian Suplex! Fallaway Slam! 1. 2. 3. 

ED MONTON WINS (4:38)

image.jpeg

INTERVIEW ZONE

HELEN WHEELS looks confused and disgusted to be in the presence of interviewer JULIE FORLETTA and JAKE SLOAN. Jake is wearing a very colourful suit. 

HELEN WHEELS
I thought this was an interview for me. Why is this pip-squeak here?

JAKE SLOAN
Because I want a rematch. Your guys may have beaten me, Helen, but I'm
 no quitter. It's like the old saying "If at first you don't succeed, try
 arm drags, maybe, dumbass.".

HELEN WHEEL
As if. Face it, shrimp, you'll never beat Land Mass and Mammoth. They're 
900lb of pure beef, and you're what? 150lbs soaking wet with bricks
 in your pockets? You don't measure up. 

JAKE SLOAN
So the only reason your team win is because they weigh 900 pounds?

HELEN WHEELS
Yes. Wait. No. It wouldn't matter how much their opponents weighed.
 90lbs or 900lbs. My team are unbeatable regardless.

JAKE SLOAN
So if I found another team that weighed 900lbs, your guys would have
 no trouble beating them?

HELEN WHEELS
Of course they wouldn't. Land Mass & Mammoth are better than any
 900lbs you could possibly- 

JAKE SLOAN
Deal! WrestleFestival! I'll find a team. You bring your guys! Let's put
 it to the test! 

Jake runs off before Helen can respond. 

HELEN WHEELS
What? Fine. You... You're on!

image.jpeg

JOHN McCLEAN VS BATTERING LAMB

Jerome Turner "John McClean's obsession with Black Sheep destroyed a child's birthday party last week. Battering Lamb isn't happy about that."
Eric Tyler "I hate everything you just said."

McClean begs and pleads for mercy as Battering Lamb battering rams him around the ring, until he manages to turn the portly heavyweight's mask around. Blinded, Battering Lamb fumbles around the ring. McClean tries to stay quiet and hide, but Lamb uses the cheering and booing of the fans to guide him to his target, and makes a fool out of McClean with Mutton Chops before dropping a big Leg of Lamb. He fixes his mask but McClean pokes him in the eyes. Roll up! 1... 2... 3! 

Eric Tyler "Finally John McClean does something right by ending this nonsense."
Jerome Turner "He'll be happy with the win, but will he be happy about what's been announced for WrestleFestival? Let's check it out."

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BACKSTAGE

image.jpegimage.jpeg

STEVE DECOLT oils up his muscles, to the delight of his date Felicity, 25, Social Worker.

STEVE DECOLT
Eric Tyler know he can't handle the heat of Stunning Steve, so once
 again he's opened up his big book of dirty tricks. Now, Tyler's right
 about one thing. Jack loves to compete. Doesn't matter if it's in the
 ring or on the track or playing Mario Kart. Jack always brings his A game
 and I'm going to have my hands full tonight. I don't want to fight my
 brother, but if Tyler doesn't think I'll do what it takes to keep this 
sweet, sweet belt around my sweet, sweet waist.... If he thinks
 he'll be meeting a different DeColt at WrestleFestival... then he
 doesn't know Stunning Steve. I beat Jack before, I'll do it again. 

image.jpeg

FLASHBACK: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST
FRIDAY WEEK 3 NOVEMBER 1996
(4 MONTHS AGO)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A Chamber of Horrors match for the CGC World Title. The champion, JACK DECOLT, is badly hurt. STEVE DECOLT valiantly protects his little brother, but they're locked in a cage with three bloodthirsty monsters who won't stop coming. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets to Jack... so Steve does the only thing he can do. Iron Claw to Jack! Jack taps! New Champion!

image.jpeg

HOLLYWOOD JOHNNY MAVERICK VS EDDIE CHANDLER

Eric Tyler "I'll let you in on a little secret. I've had my eye on these two gifted youngsters for a while, but which one is willing to go the extra mile?"

Sick of looking at each other, both youngsters try to end it quick with roll ups. Small package! no! Schoolboy! No! Sunset Flip! No! Crucifix! No! La Magistral! No! Victory Roll! No victory!  1... 2... Kick out! 1... 2... Rope Break! Both men tumble out of the ring, but beat the count at the last moment.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

CHANCE and FATE arrive to watch, just as Eddie Chandler slips out of a vertical suplex and hits the Backcracker! 1... 2... Fate puts Maverick's foot on the ropes. 

Eric Tyler "I don't think I'm ready for this to end yet."

Eddie's frustrated. He didn't see the interference. He recklessly charges and gets caught in a Sleeper, fading fast until... Chance puts his foot on the ropes. Referee Gregory Chapman misses the interference but breaks the hold. 

Eric Tyler " I still haven't seen what I'm looking for." 

Neither youngster can believe it! Why haven't they won? Giving in to frustration, they throw wild fists of fury... Pulling hair... A thumb to the eye... 

Eric Tyler "There! That's it! Soldiers! That's enough!"

Fate pulls out the referee, and Chance shoves the two fighters apart. Chapman calls it!

NO CONTEST (5:50)

image.jpeg

ERIC TYLER
There it is. The passion. The fire. I came here hoping to find one
 student worthy of joining my school... but I think I just found two.
 You shouldn't be enemies. You should be classmates. Join my 
School of Tradition. Become the wrestlers you were born to be.

The Soldiers of Fortune loom over the exhausted and battered Chandler and Maverick, but instead of attacking, they offer the youngsters School Uniforms. John Maverick is tempted. Eddie Chandler takes the uniform... and throws it in Eric Tyler's face! 

For a moment, everyone is frozen in shock. Then all hell breaks loose. Fate pounces! Chandler ducks and dodges! Maverick is accidentally hit by Chance! Chandler runs around the ring, weaving over chairs and between Security, chased by the Soldiers. He makes some lucky escapes, but eventually Fate catches up to him. Spinebuster! 

Tyler slips his Soldiers some more cash, whispering new orders in their ears and- Maverick suplexes Fate out of his boots! Another for Chance! Johnny yanks Eddie out of the ring, and the two rivals scramble away together, and Security finally manage to surround the furious Soldiers, and the even more furious Eric Tyler.

Jerome Turner "Eric Tyler was looking for one new student... now it seems like he hasn't found any!" 

image.jpeg

INTERVIEW ZONE

image.jpeg

HOWLING DOG 
Some see trains as a sign of progress, but for my tribe they are a 
sign of destruction. Railroads have devastated my people, cutting
 through their lands, separating us from nature, breaking apart our
 way of life. The spirit of my people runs through my veins and
 they are enraged at Barry Bowen, the Runaway Train. I am born of
 their hopes and dreams. Their vengeance and fury! I will knock the
 Train off his tracks at WrestleFestival.

image.jpeg

LOCKER ROOM

image.jpegimage.jpeg

JULIE FORLETTA is trying to interview JACK DECOLT as he warms up with some squats, big smile on his face.

JULIA FORLETTA
You're moments away from fighting your brother for the CGC World 
TItle... You seem pretty excited.

JACK DECOLT 
It's not a fight, it's a wrestling match! And of course I'm excited.
 I loved being CGC World Champion. Steve got me good last time
 we faced, but I've been itching for this rematch for months. I 
would have preferred the Committee to vote for me, and not that 
mean Mr. Tyler...but I was told in wrestling to always be ready for 
anything, so I'm here and I'm ready to be the best DeColt that I can be. 

image.jpeg

CGC WORLD TITLE MATCH

image.png
 JACK DECOLT VS STEVE DECOLT /w Felicity
image.pngimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Eric Tyler "I believe in Jack DeColt. If I have to fight any DeColt at WrestleFestival, I want it to be him."

Steve struts his stuff early, overpowering his little brother, but Jack won't let him hit the Felici-TKO to impress his date, and surprises him with amateur wrestling takedowns and submission attempts. It's a good clean fight, but the more Steve flexes and poses and the more Jack denies his showboating, the more tempers flare. Jack makes the first mistake, impetuously charging right into a Sexy Slam. Steve hesitates, but presses the advantage, looking for a quick submission without causing lasting damage. Bear hug. Canadian Backbreaker.

Eric Tyler "What a ruthless maniac. Who could do this to their own brother?"

Jack comes back with Shoulder tackles and suplexes and a Canadian Backbreaker of his own. Steve won't go down without a fight. Jack counters the Running Bulldog with a Back Suplex. Steve intercepts a Flying Shoulder Tackle with a Luscious Lariat! Steve hits a superplex! 1... 2... Jack kicks out. Another Sexy Slam! Jack kicks out. He won't stop coming, so Steve does the only thing he can do. Iron Claw! Screaming in pain, Jack still tries to fight back, so Steve reluctantly adds more Gorgeous Gyrations to add torque. 

Eric Tyler leaves commentary and starts hammering on the apron, giving instructions to Jack. Jack twists, he turns, he rolls through! 1... 2... Steve just barely kicks out. He levels Jack with a straight punch and he is furious. But not with Jack. He reaches out of the ring and yanks Tyler up to the apron by the turnbuckles, yelling at him, demanding he leave, getting distracted before- Jack charges! O'Connor Roll! 1... 2... Steve kicks out with such fury that Jack goes face first into the exposed turnbuckle!

Jerome Turner "What the- Why is that turnbuckle exposed?"

Steve either didn't notice or doesn't care. Running Bulldog! 1... 2... 3!

STEVE DECOLT RETAINS (12:32)

Jerome Turner "Was Tyler coaching Jack? When did he learn that counter? Who pulled off the turnbuckle pad? Hopefully we'll find out next week, but for know what we do know is that Steve DeColt is still CGG World Champion."

Felicity tries to calm Steve down, but he's obviously not happy. Especially when he notices Eric Tyler trying to check on an unconscious Jack. He tackles Tyler to the ground and the two men throw punch as Title Bout Wrestling cuts to black. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

image.jpeg
SUNDAY WEEK 2 MARCH 1997
Edmonton, Alberta (600 in attendance)
Broadcast on Alberta On Air (3,637 and BCB (3,637). Combined Rating <0.01

• Flashback to April 1996   52
  • Alex DeColt confronts School of Tradition    62
  • DIRTY FRANK VS ED MONTON   44
  • Wheels & Sloan Argue   39
  • JOHN McCLEAN VS BATTERING LAMB   40
  • Steve DeColt Promo   64
  • Flashback to November 1996   42
  • JOHNNY MAVERICK VS EDDIE CHANDLER   46
  • School of Tradition Recruitment Drive   48
  • Howling Dog Promo   30
  • Jack DeColt Promo   47
  • JACK DECOLT VS STEVE DECOLT   60
  • FINAL SHOW RATING    60

As DaveFan95 commented on the last episode, the DeColt Title history is counter-intuitive and slightly hard to reconcile thing. I thought about replying with my interpretation, but instead decided to add it into the meat of the show. Meaning lots of rewrites in the past few days. Even then, I don't think I covered it. The way I see it, the DeColt boys weren't top guys in 1995. They were fan favourites and heavily featured on the show, but not presented as on the same level as Eric Tyler or Ed Monton or Larry Vessey or the Lords of War. They were beloved home-grown rookies. Then Jack won the Title in a massive upset. I imagine his reign was similar to if Scrappy Doo won a belt. An undersized and naïve force of nature getting in over his head, as his family tried to protect him. Which is how Alex and Steve started interacting with the major threats, with Steve in particular stepping up and standing out and finally taking the title at Survival of the Fittest. His reign has been pretty short (only had one 'real' title defense since, probably beating Larry Vessey on the way out) but protecting Jack for his 8-month reign cemented him as a legit top guy. 

Which leads to this show. In the original drafts of this episode, Jack was going to win here. I was aiming for canon, and I treated this bizarre title switch (Jack specifically beats Steve in March 1997) as a writing challenge. I had no interest in a feud between the two leading to WrestleFestival. That sounded awful, and I don't think 12 weeks was enough to get there. So this was my answer. Eric Tyler sets it up, Jack wins with his signature move; the massive upset. And yet, I couldn't do it. As I make my plans for the next few months, I prefer Steve winning here. I won't go into why, because spoilers, but I explored both options, and I like this better. It helps that Steve is the better worker, but it's more about the story. 

Plus canon is already out the window. I think the 'canon' history is what George DeColt wanted, but I'm playing as Whipper Spencer Marks. What George wants is just a guideline. 

Lots of Eric Tyler on this show. Unintentional, but he's definitely my best performer so it's not the worst thing in the world. 

In alumni news, former CGC World Champion Sam Keith just won the SWF Heavyweight Title from Sean McFly in a 100 rated match. On Free TV. I need to step up my Title Bout game.

image.jpeg

Next week on Title Bout Wrestling...

CGC Tag Team Title Match: Johnny Maverick & Eddie Chandler vs Soldiers of Fortune
Biff The Bruiser vs Moose Mulder
Nelson Blais vs Ed Monton
... plus the CGC Matchmaking Committee vote on the stipulations for the main event of WrestleFestival, and Jake Sloan presents his 900lb team. 

• Like 3

CGC Tag Team Title Match: Johnny Maverick & Eddie Chandler vs Soldiers of Fortune

It's an interesting tie. As well as how this develops Maverick and Chandler, we know where these boys go on to do together, (which includes 3 word title reigns between them), but as faces here in 97, I'm very intrigued to see where that goes. SOF should win though

Mulder is arguably the biggest face in the company outside of the DeColts and Monton

Nelson Blais is not a terrible worker by any stretch but 37, small, no ent skills. He doesn't fit the CGC model. Monton will win again

Hmm, the stipulations for Steve v Tyler. I had bad luck in my game as they had poor chemistry which hurts Tyler. I also had real issues making heel threats without them beating any DeColts. For me, special guest referee, Jack DeColt is the stip. Makes sense methinks. 

900lb team for Sloan, my picks are two guys on the roster. Switchblade Mike and Wolfgang Zimmerman. probably wrong, but I like to guess. 

That WF poster with John Maverick on the merry go round is my favourite so far. That's absolute gold. I love it. 

3 hours ago, Self said:

As DaveFan95 commented on the last episode, the DeColt Title history is counter-intuitive and slightly hard to reconcile thing. I thought about replying with my interpretation, but instead decided to add it into the meat of the show. Meaning lots of rewrites in the past few days. Even then, I don't think I covered it.

Oh god. I hope my comments aren't making more work for you. I do think that keeping Steve as the champ is the right move and I do want to see Steve v Tyler. There's quite a lot of great matches scheduled for WF already and I'm really looking forward to the show. 

Well, considering the main and with Eric Tyler all over the show, no surprise that this was one of the best episodes yet. Really curious that the fans were essentially treated with an angle at the main event of survival of the fittest! I also really enjoy bumbling rookie Eddie Chandler who's in over his head. Maverick looks like he has his priorities straight.

Next week on Title Bout Wrestling...

Would be surprised to see Tylers henchmen dropping the belts this close to WrestleFestival
... plus the CGC Matchmaking Committee vote on the stipulations for the main event of WrestleFestival, and Jake Sloan presents his 900lb team. 
Why do I get the feeling that Jake Sloan will be using his 900lb to pick a team of six 150lbers? I'm probably way off, but would be a fun dynamic!

The titles wouldn't be switched this close to WrestleFestival

He might be on Jake Sloan's team at WrestleFestival

Who is Nelson Blais?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I never understood why people who played CV97 want to stick to canon, it not like any of the company will so why should you.

last show (in my personal opinion) was the best yet! the through line was absolutely fantastic.